The History of Dragon Ball in Every Country

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: The History of Dragon Ball in Every Country

Post by Tian » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:26 pm

DerekPadula wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:51 pm Thank you, Son Gokuu. I've seen a lot of debate from fans in Spain about their releases. It seems like there is confusion or misinformation surrounding the subject.
Hi Derek! Here's something I think it could be helpful for your research:
https://eldoblajeenandalucia.webnode.es ... agon-ball/

While it is mainly about the Castillian Spanish dub, it also mentions some stuff about the other dubs from Spain.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:53 pm

Thanks, Vegard. Sorry to hear about the low-quality releases in Norway. It must be frustrating that they change the names, but at least the overall trend is improving. That last bit about the F-bombs made me laugh. Reminds me of the American fan-subs from the late '90s where they added a lot of curse words to make the series feel more adult and edgy.

Thanks, Tian. That article looks comprehensive, and I'll be sure to review it and the whole site later.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

Son Gokuu

Post by Son Gokuu » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:03 am

Tian wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:26 pm
DerekPadula wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:51 pm Thank you, Son Gokuu. I've seen a lot of debate from fans in Spain about their releases. It seems like there is confusion or misinformation surrounding the subject.
Hi Derek! Here's something I think it could be helpful for your research:
https://eldoblajeenandalucia.webnode.es ... agon-ball/

While it is mainly about the Castillian Spanish dub, it also mentions some stuff about the other dubs from Spain.
Oh, good site. I didn't know it.
Thank you!

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:23 pm

I was available to find the first ending of the catalan dub bola de drac Z (Dragon Ball Z) its just a 15 second ending with cilps from early sayin saga episodes.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TEDPrYNXPcY

Also in the description it says copied from the french version but the french dub doesn't have a credits like this.

Does anybody have any more information about the credits
All I know about this is that it's from the Catalan dub and the vhs recording came from Canal 33 in 1991

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:41 pm

DerekPadula wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:53 pm Thanks, Tian. That article looks comprehensive, and I'll be sure to review it and the whole site later.
You're welcome, Derek. I am looking forward to your next book. :D
Son Gokuu wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:03 am Oh, good site. I didn't know it.
Thank you!
You're welcome!
Dragon ball master wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:23 pm Does anybody have any more information about the credits
All I know about this is that it's from the Catalan dub and the vhs recording came from Canal 33 in 1991
You mean dubbing credits? If so, you can find the Catalan dubbing cast & crew info in the following page:
https://www.eldoblatge.com/fitxa/84

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:02 pm

I've informed Derek, as some have brought this to my attention in Discord but Dragon Ball may have also aired in Somalia with a native dub.

This would be significant, as I'm not aware of any African dubs.

Unfortunately the poster seems to have deleted his Reddit so I can't ask him/her the name of this Djibouti channel, but hopefully someone out there remembers.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:59 pm

I was available to find vhs rips of rhe portugal dubs of OG movies 1 and 2 in youtube videos and I will putting them on the internet archive.

Also I found this promo for a combination of dragon ball movies 1 and 1 called dragon ball le film just like dragon ball z le film.
I wonder how would they transition into movie 2 be like. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wePzv2_nOCE

UPDATE I found a version of the Original Portugal opening but with a different singers

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:08 am

DerekPadula wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:53 pm Thanks, Vegard. Sorry to hear about the low-quality releases in Norway. It must be frustrating that they change the names, but at least the overall trend is improving. That last bit about the F-bombs made me laugh. Reminds me of the American fan-subs from the late '90s where they added a lot of curse words to make the series feel more adult and edgy.
I mean, as far as the manga is concerned, yeah, some of the names are weird, but by and large the translation in the Outland release is good. I did notice some mistranslations especially around the Vegeta arc (the explanations for what Kaioken did were rather off, for the most obvious thing) but honestly, by and large it was still way better than Schibsted, and probably also better than Viz. And Super is definitely better than Viz so far, but then so far its competition is pre- Caleb Cook Viz DBS, which, uh... the Viz translation of Super was pretty dubious until Caleb Cook took over translation duties.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:24 pm

wjbraden made a google drive with information about dubs in 2017 and he still is editing this driver's new information. If you have information for a dub then just request editing to him. DO NOT VANDALIZE IT!
https://goo.gl/Zay3za

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:11 am

Looking through Czech and Slovak sections - did DB actually got popular among the kids there in the early 2000s? Sure, Polish is similar but it's still not the same language + not everyone had satellite/cable access to RTL7 so curious if it actually got a lot of viewiership among schoolkids back in the day

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:00 pm

Basaku wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:11 am Looking through Czech and Slovak sections - did DB actually got popular among the kids there in the early 2000s? Sure, Polish is similar but it's still not the same language + not everyone had satellite/cable access to RTL7 so curious if it actually got a lot of viewiership among schoolkids back in the day
It was a big thing from what I was told. Many Czechs fondly remember watching it on RTL II in German.

They even mentioned the Pokito anime block.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:16 pm

Basaku wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:11 am Looking through Czech and Slovak sections - did DB actually got popular among the kids there in the early 2000s? Sure, Polish is similar but it's still not the same language + not everyone had satellite/cable access to RTL7 so curious if it actually got a lot of viewiership among schoolkids back in the day
We did watch RTL II mostly and later RTL 7 as well. But it was not as widespread, as mainly anime fans were watching foreign TV channels.
Pokémon and Digimon ruled among the schoolkids, with Shaman King and later it was Naruto and Bleach in Czechia.
Fullmetal Alchemist was also a big deal.
Only show from the franchise that aired here was Dragon Ball GT, in Japanese with subs on cable tv Animax, only during the late evenings and that was really niche.
Pokémon still rules the market, although with trends nowadays, I have no idea if any anime has entered pop culture with nowaday kids and streaming services are huge, hence it is hard to make something out of it.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:58 pm

I know this isnt the thread for it. But BOY does Paraguay LOVE DBZ. Telefuturo aired a marathon...Actually not an actual marathon, they just air LOTS of episodes back to back each Saturday and Sunday. They started from 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM! 2 solid hours of dragon ball episodes each day of the weekend. I do a prank on my poor mom. I put DBZ to drive her crazy, and thanks to Adult Swim and Telefuturo she sees DBZ ALMOST 24/7. Oh and its so profitable that Telefuturo puts commercials in the show. They dont even wait for commercial breaks. Cookies and Shampoo were advertised during the show. A major no no for the USA.

Oh and Adult Swim isnt that far off too. They air 1.5 hours of DBZ three times a week!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Platypus

Post by Platypus » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:38 pm

Here are some corrections to the anime part of the Belgium entry:

"Dragon Ball Z first aired on December 17, 2001 on the Kanaal 2 network (now known as 2BE)."
2BE is now called VTM 2.

"It as [sic] the Ocean dub,"
It started as the Ocean dub, but switched to the Funimation dub during the Ginyu part of the Namek saga.

"[...] and it continued into the early portion of the Cell Arc."
They stopped airing after the conclusion of the Cell Games. After this, Dragon Ball was never shown on Belgian TV again (at least not on any Flemish TV channels; I'm not sure about the French speaking TV channels).

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:21 pm

Platypus wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:38 pm Here are some corrections to the anime part of the Belgium entry:

"Dragon Ball Z first aired on December 17, 2001 on the Kanaal 2 network (now known as 2BE)."
2BE is now called VTM 2.

"It as [sic] the Ocean dub,"
It started as the Ocean dub, but switched to the Funimation dub during the Ginyu part of the Namek saga.

"[...] and it continued into the early portion of the Cell Arc."
They stopped airing after the conclusion of the Cell Games. After this, Dragon Ball was never shown on Belgian TV again (at least not on any Flemish TV channels; I'm not sure about the French speaking TV channels).
Are you sure the French dub on RTL2 didn't air before the ocean dub?

Platypus

Post by Platypus » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:39 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:21 pm Are you sure the French dub on RTL2 didn't air before the ocean dub?
I guess I should've mentioned I was only talking about Dragon Ball on Flemish TV. I don't know anything about the history of DB on the French speaking channels.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:48 am

Serbia
OG DB: Aired between 2001-2002 on Pink TV. 153/153 episodes dubbed from the original Japanese version.

DBZ (MAT Produkcija dub): Aired between 2003-2004 on Pink TV and then in Nis-based TV station RTV Nais. 52/291 episodes dubbed from the French dub. The dub title is Zmajeva Kugla Generacija Zed (Dragon Ball Generation Z)

DBZ (Loudworks dub): Aired in 2011 on Ultra TV and then on KCN Kopernikus and Pink Kids. 105/291 episodes dubbed from several sources, including German dub and original Japanese versions.

GT: There's the possibility that the Romanian sub of DBGT was also seen in Serbia due to the Animax block that shared schedule with Eastern European children channel Minimax not having a proper Serbian version, so the Romanian version of the Animax block was also used in Serbia.

However, the broadcast of Romanian Animax in Serbia was mostly unstable and there were only a handful of times where the block could be watched without technical problems.

Movies: Both BoG (Bitka Bogova) and RoF (Uskrsnuće) had a subbed theatrical release.

Manga: This info bit is not known by many but only the first volume of the Dragon Ball manga was released in Serbian. It was translated and published by Čačak based publisher Sakura Project in 2002.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:29 am

Just seen some old posts, which said the episode Goku's Special Technique aired in the Netherlands on January 23, 2001.

Can any Dutch fans confirm? This would be significant as it would mark the worldwide debut of the Westwood dub. It's long been known it was that month for sure but unlike the UK (where it premiered on April 2, 2001) the date was not widely known.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:37 am

I can confirm that DBZ started airing on August 28, 2000 in the Netherlands as this is when it first appears in newspaper TV listings. The series premiered with two episodes, and then subsequently would air the previous day's second episode along with a new one each subsequent day, every weekday. This matches up with my vivid memory of dropping everything on my birthday in October to watch DBZ, only for it to be "Big Trouble for Bulma" of all freaking episodes.

I'm certain that there was no rerun hell until after "Goku's Ordeal". I also confirmed through newspaper listings that there was no holiday break. Putting all of that together in a spreadsheet with the dates each episode would have aired, it does indeed seem that "Goku's Special Technique" aired on January 23, 2001.

It seems somewhat strange that we would start getting the Westwood dub for just three episodes before rerun hell set in (I remember the show reran from episode 1 twice before we finally got the Androids, once with the same schedule as before and once with two "new" episodes a day instead of one), but I definitely remember Terry Klassen's shitty Master Roshi voice after Goku steals his sunglasses. I also remember that "Goku's Ordeal" felt really uncanny because by then, the coolness of the Trunks stuff had worn off and we were just left with a really poorly-animated episode that also had particularly bad voice acting and weird, unfamiliar music.

EDIT: I may have been mistaken about the two reruns. This site indicates that the Android episodes were to start airing on April 16, which is backed up by when screenshots of new episodes were added to the site (these were apparently taken by the website's owner from TV broadcasts). This more or less lines up with one set of reruns with 2 episodes a day, certainly not leaving room for multiple sets. The next time the show went into rerun hell is after episode 150, iirc, so I may have been thinking of that instead.
Last edited by ThunderPX on Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:06 pm

Glad to have confirmation, I too heard the August 28, 2000 date before but wasn't sure was it verified.
ThunderPX wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:37 amIt seems somewhat strange that we would start getting the Westwood dub for just three episodes before rerun hell set in
It may have been because the Westwood dub had just started being recorded around that time, or at least for the majority of the cast. There was lots of rumours throughout 2000 from sites of the time like Planetnamek about the Ocean cast somehow returning to the series, but Funimation were denying it probably because they were still sending Ocean their raw video, music tracks and scripts and in doing so NDAs had to be signed. The earliest official confirmation that the Ocean cast were returning to Dragon Ball Z came from VegettoEX's old site on May 19, 2000:
- 19 May 2000; 10:37 pm EST - I'm sure everyone's (by now) checked out Brian Drummond's e-mail, as first seen on The Brian Drummond Mini-Shrine. It appears Mr. Drummond was called in to do some recordings for.. *gasp* .. DBZ!! So with that in mind, I asked myself, "Self.. if Drummond might be coming back, how about Mr. Corlett? You have his e-mail address. Drop him a line!" So I did. And he got back to me this very evening (I sent the e-mail before I went to work.. this guy's good o_O). Guess what? He was contacted, too. Unfortunately, it was a bit disappointing, but it's good to see that Mr. Corlett's not taking any shit from anyone, still. Check out the e-mail by clicking here. As for future updates... eh... I'll get to them. Got an English project to finish up this weekend, I'm and working all day tomorrow and Sunday. I've got the mailbag done... that'll be up soon ^^
I guess I should mention at this juncture this timeframe throws into doubt the decades old rumour that the Westwood dub was created because fans outside the US were unhappy with the cast change during season 3 as by most fan recollections those episodes didn't premiere in the UK until late summer or early autumn 2000 and Dragon Ball Z hadn't even started in the Netherlands by this point. An argument could be made for Canada, because, as I recall Episode 54 aired there in early 2000 although YTV never reran episodes 108-167 with the Westwood episodes, which suggests it wasn't enough of a priority for them to bring the old cast back. I still think the most likely explanation for why the Westwood dub was created is because Funimation was charging a bomb in royalties for their own dub and international territories wanted a cheaper alternative, which is backed up by the fact that in the UK and Ireland CNX initially premiered the Fusion saga with the Funimation dub but after a few reruns switched back to Westwood.

At any rate news continued to spread about Ocean's return, as on October 14, 2000 Doc Harris confirmed he was starting to record:
14 October 2000: Ocean Cast to return to the dub? Hmmm...wishful thinking, maybe.
Jon: By now I'd say that it's safe to say that everyone's seen the posts on "Planet Namek" regarding the impending return of the former cast. While there's probably no bigger fan of some of the former cast than I (Let's face it, they're a tough act to follow), keeping my somewhat skeptic distance was a good choice. Most members of the current cast had absolutley no idea about this. When informed by me though, they seemed none too pleased. To quote Sonny Strait, current voice of Krillin;

"Ok, I don't want to cast aspersions and say that someone's bullshittting the fans but I just talked to Chris and he said it was COMPLETE bullshit."

He goes on to state that FUNimation will be scheduling another set of auditions for the Buu saga, and that doing so would be a waste of money if they were to suddenly hire back the old cast. As many of you may recall, Brian Drummond pulled this kind of thing back around June-July this last summer, and absolutley nothing came from it. When I asked Chris Sabat and Gen Fukunaga what it was about (the previous incident in Jun-July), they basically told me that it was either a reunion or for a YTV promotion. Ian Corlett had also been offered for the same thing in June-July, but basically gave us the same tired speach about "Yes I was offered, but I've got a writing career now and blah blah blah." The difference in this case is that the former announcer for Dragonball Z's dub, Doc Harris, has also been quoted that he's returning to voice the show.

"Just thought you should know: the DBZ tracks are going to be done in Vancouver again, starting next week. I'll be back narrating, and most of the old cast will be reassembled for the series.

Spread the word!"
Unfortunately it appears that link is dead, but thanks to Dark Vegeta-Sama its been archived. In fact, Ian James Corlett stated the next day he was aware of the dubbing of Dragon Ball Z returning to Vancouver, although it's possible at that time Ocean/Westwood were still awaiting deals to be approved for AB Groupe to distribute their dub in Europe and for all the necessary materials to arrive in Canada.

Though, Saffron Henderson did confirm she'd recorded many episodes in late 2000 because any time in 2001 would have conflicted with her wedding plans, so it's possible she recorded earlier than the rest of the cast.

For everyone's convenience, here was the interview, once more, courtesy of Dark Vegeta-Sama, who archived it:
Q: What was it like when you and the rest of Ocean Group had heard FUNimation was moving to Texas, and the parts would be recast?

A: We were all disappointed, but we knew they were probably trying to save money and keep their project in a more convenient location, since that's where FUNimation is based. Dragon Ball Z started recording here in Vancouver again in 2000, and I enjoyed some more Gohan that year.
Q: A lot of talk went on saying you had to stopping voicing Gohan in the Cell Saga because of "stress-related causes", this wasn't the case, was it?

A: That's funny, I've heard that comment too. No, I didn't stop voicing Gohan because of stress or exhaustion or anything like that. The only thing that was stressful was the timing of my wedding! We'd planned it for months and months, before Dragon Ball Z even came back, and in order to work around my husband's availability (he's a baseball player), some immigration business (he's American) and to get our families together....... We couldn't change our wedding date when the producers decided they'd need me for a few days in January/Feb 2001. So we recorded as many episodes as possible by the end of 2000, and then they auditioned new talent for Gohan so they could continue with someone whose schedule they wouldn't need to work around.
The old UKDB site apparently had lots of interviews with the Ocean cast between 2000 and 2003 and documented everything we know about the Westwood dub. I documented the few I could find on the Wayback Machine but I'd love to read more, especially from those early days of the Westwood dub where it was especially rushed.
ThunderPX wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:37 amThe next time the show went into rerun hell is after episode 150, iirc, so I may have been thinking of that instead.
Assuming you mean Episode 150 in edited numbering that makes a lot of since as it was the final episode of what was the Imperfect Cell saga in the UK when Trunks fight ends and the Cell games were announced. From what I've heard the Netherlands were also importing materials from Cartoon Network UK. As I recall the Cell Games began in the UK in September 2001, although for some reason Cartoon Network used Imperfect Cell art for the promo art in their magazines of the time. Maybe because they thought it looked cool and would be good for marketing purposes: