Fact Checker (update: Ep.51)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.6)

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:10 pm

Herms wrote:If you're going to think about it in those terms, why not just watch it raw? Much more incentive to buy the official release that way, plus you won't have to worry about mistranslations or inadvertently spreading misinformation.
Because I haven't reasoned my morals out that much in regards to this?

Actually, no -- I do want at least an indicator of what's being said to go along with my own rusty knowledge of Japanese. Good fansubs are obviously better on the whole, but I do fall into a certain feeling of discomfort with it when we feel entitled to a perfect release/translation before it's even out for purchase.

Not that I'm siding with speed-subbers' terrible practices. And I've gotten things a bit off-topic. Suffice to say I'd be a lot less comfortable with speed-subs if you weren't doing the work you're doing here, so maybe it's a moot point.

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.6)

Post by Adamant » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:15 pm

Cipher wrote: Actually, no -- I do want at least an indicator of what's being said to go along with my own rusty knowledge of Japanese.
...which you're NOT getting from those subs.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Fact Checker (update: more Ep.6 stuff)

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:00 pm

Right, so for episode 6 I've added in the opening Goku/Kaio conversation, the Russian Takoyaki explanation, and Whis' reference to Planet Banna. For episode 2 I've also noted how one fansub group turned Whi's mention of Universe 7 into a Game of Thrones reference.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:13 pm

Herms wrote:Right, so for episode 6 I've added in the opening Goku/Kaio conversation, the Russian Takoyaki explanation, and Whis' reference to Planet Banna. For episode 2 I've also noted how one fansub group turned Whi's mention of Universe 7 into a Game of Thrones reference.
One fansub group turned the line into "This meat is the seventh most famous in the universe", or something of the sort.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:51 am

Doctor. wrote:
Herms wrote:Right, so for episode 6 I've added in the opening Goku/Kaio conversation, the Russian Takoyaki explanation, and Whis' reference to Planet Banna. For episode 2 I've also noted how one fansub group turned Whi's mention of Universe 7 into a Game of Thrones reference.
One fansub group turned the line into "This meat is the seventh most famous in the universe", or something of the sort.
That's how some, or indeed most, fansubs work: they basically pick up on some Japanese words they understand and then make up whatever meaning they want without paying detailed attention neither to the phrasing or grammar nor to the actual sense the translation will make taking into account the story and the character speaking. It happens constantly. In that particular case, just as an example, they picked up the "7th Universe" bit and the "famous/best" bit and turned it something which has a completely different meaning than the actual, proper translation. It's like what happened a few weeks ago, in the second episode, where they made out the number "150" and mistranslated the thing as "power level of 150.000" instead of the proper translation - the one that makes sense - of 150G. I can't avoid noting that such mistranslations reveal some degree of lack of in-depth knowledge of what's actually going on in the story at the moment and in the past, and of Dragonball in general.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:52 am

I wrote a little breakdown of just how terrible Super's speedsubs are. It seemed popular over on /r/DBZ, so I imagine some folks might find some worth in it here. I didn't even go particularly in-depth with the breakdown, but you can see just how pointless watching their release is.

I covered Episode 6, but you can find a similar sort of article for Episode 1 on this site. Though their review is significantly less PC than mine. Fair warning.

Hopefully they're informative (and a little bit entertaining)!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:26 pm

For me, the speed-subs are great to have. I'm watching them while being fully prepared about the mistakes (so you won't see me making threads "WTF is this SS Goku < Freeza bullshit, Toriyama is old!!), then I watch it with proper subs once they are released, and of course, I check the Fact Checker in case I missed something when it's updated. I prefer the speed-subs over the raws, because I barely understand anything in the raws. The speed-subs aren't 100% wrong, and I definitely get more of the story through them instead of the raws.

Why am I not waiting for the proper subs? Sorry, but I'm weak. :P
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:50 pm

I catch the raws, then wait til Monday for the team with the accurate subs to finish and watch that then.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:34 pm

Chuquita wrote:I catch the raws, then wait til Monday for the team with the accurate subs to finish and watch that then.
Yeah, i'm not sure if "understanding some things right but mostly wrong" is better than watching raw and not understanding anything.
And Dragon Team releases on Sunday, Monday at most...it's not even a long wait, come on people.

usotsuki

Post by usotsuki » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:37 am

Admittedly, I do have a horse in this race, but seriously, guys... Are people that spoiled by simulcasts that they'd rather settle for fed-through-google trash out in 12 hours vs. competently translated by people who know what they're doing and are at least somewhat familiar with Dragon Ball in Japanese in a day or two tops?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:41 pm

Just wondering when you're going to update this for episode 7.

EDIT: Also 2000th post!
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:44 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Just wondering when you're going to update this for episode 7.

EDIT: Also 2000th post!
DragonTeam hasn't released yet (so much for "Monday at most"), and their accurate subs are used as the thread's source.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:54 pm

I could just do the translations myself if need be (especially since now I know where to find the Japanese closed captioning for the episode), but I'm kinda just lazy.

More importantly though, I haven't heard about any specifc mistranslations and/or crazy lines besides the "combat ethic" thing. Anyone know any? I really don't want to bother watching crappy speed subs myself (see again: lazy).

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:10 pm

The speed sub I watched likely contains quite a few errors. Do characters really yell "I will not forgive you!!" when charging into battle?

The subtitles consistently referred to Whis as "Weiss".

One thing that ought to be pointed out is the revelation that Dende can feel Beerus's ki. He can sense God ki.

Some lines were untranslated - Krillin's second line at the very beginning, and Gotenks seems to say something after "I will protect the Dragon balls".

Beerus's rant about pudding is definitely a lot of word play - most of the phrases end with "ga", "ka" or "da"

Edit: Posted too early.

I got to ask if Beerus's remark about "rarely getting to eat good food" is accurate. This might be something to foreshadow his reasoning to spare Earth.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:19 pm

JoeCapricorn wrote:
I got to ask if Beerus's remark about "rarely getting to eat good food" is accurate. This might be something to foreshadow his reasoning to spare Earth.
I don't remember reading that in the subs I watched (that sound much like the ones you describe), neither I remember hearing something like that, but I had a theory back when BoG was new that it was that way and, like you said, its his reason why he spare Earth even though he's already bored and want to go home... He even said it in FnF, he spared it for the food :P

Though, I have to say that theory works better with BoG version where he eats every kind of food so he knows that most of the food is actually good and maybe better than what he had tasted before in other planets, not like in Super that he just ate takoyaki and he has more reason to just destroy the planet where he just ate one good thing.
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:08 pm

JoeCapricorn wrote:Beerus's rant about pudding is definitely a lot of word play - most of the phrases end with "ga", "ka" or "da"
I don't think there was any word play-proper in there. "Da" is an informal conjugation of "to be" and ends a lot of sentences, "ka" is a question indicator, and "ga" is a conjunction particle.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:18 pm

Herms wrote:More importantly though, I haven't heard about any specifc mistranslations and/or crazy lines besides the "combat ethic" thing. Anyone know any?
Might not be the kind of thing you're looking for, but there was plenty of craziness.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:31 pm

Did they translate their English subs from a set of Spanish subs? o_O
"Fuertemente" is Spanish for "strongly".
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:42 pm

Chuquita wrote:Did they translate their English subs from a set of Spanish subs? o_O
Yes, actually. They base their translation on a rushed Spanish translation that comes out ~3 hours after the episode airs.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:53 pm

Updated with some episode 7 stuff. Maybe more to come later.
JoeCapricorn wrote:The speed sub I watched likely contains quite a few errors. Do characters really yell "I will not forgive you!!" when charging into battle?
It's a technically accurate translation of yurusanai (and its variants), a stock phrase characters in shonen manga tend to yell. In most contexts, the phrase is better translated as "you'll pay for this!" or "I won't let you get away with this", though sometimes "I won't forgive you" does work too. Again, it's all rather dependent on context.
What part of the episode is that from? Beerus talks about having never eaten pudding before, and not knowing if he'll ever get that chance again, but ofhand I don't think he says anything like that.
Cipher wrote:
JoeCapricorn wrote:Beerus's rant about pudding is definitely a lot of word play - most of the phrases end with "ga", "ka" or "da"
I don't think there was any word play-proper in there. "Da" is an informal conjugation of "to be" and ends a lot of sentences, "ka" is a question indicator, and "ga" is a conjunction particle.
Yeah, it's not really wordplay, he just rattles off a bunch of short statements and questions, which all end in da or ka due to the nature of Japanese grammar.