New ideas for an antagonist in Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

New ideas for an antagonist in Super?

Post by Skar » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:13 pm

I was going to post this in the Super section but I couldn't find the "new topic" button. Sorry if this is the wrong section!

What kind of antagonist do you think we'll see in Super in later sagas (assuming there might be one)? I'm hoping it's something new to the franchise. If you've ever read a few fan sequels then you probably noticed they tend to reuse the same few ideas over and over again :P. There's nothing wrong with that but after a while you start wanting something a little more original.

Looking at the manga and other official works like video games this is what I'm hoping we don't get since we've seen it enough times already:

-Evil Saiyans attacking the Earth
-Mutated SSJ Saiyan
-Evil Namek
-Gero's computer building more androids/cyborgs.
-Artificial constructs absorbing others to get stronger.
-Being made from the DNA of past fighters like Cell and Miira.
-Villains escaping from Hell or come back for revenge.
-Sealed magical demon.
-Last member of a race nearly wiped out by the Saiyans having revenge against the last few living on Earth.
-Heroes getting possessed (Dr. Wheelo mind control thing, Babidi, Baby, Towa's mind control, Demigra's Dark Magic :crazy: )

I liked the idea of Beerus because he was the first God to actually challenge the Z fighters. Shortly after King Kai was introduced it was revealed that he was weaker than the Saiyans and by the time Kaioshin appear he was already weaker than the last major villain. Plus he was more of a neutral figure and didn't care about world domination or destroying the universe. He only destroyed planets because it was his job but most of the time he only did it when he felt like it or when he didn't like that planet's food.

What do you think would be a good idea for a new antagonist? One thing to remember is that Beerus was shown capable of destroying the universe which means we can't have anyone insane like Broly or Kid Buu or else there wouldn't be many universes left to protect. Here are some ideas I've heard and thought about:

-A renegade God of Destruction. I think this could work but what would his motive be to rebel in the first place? Defeat the other Gods of Destruction and claim the title of strongest in the multiverse?

-Someone like the Anti-Spiral from Gurren Lagann. They worry that Goku, Vegeta, and other mortals becoming so powerful might cause some kind of imbalance or whatever and are reawakened to eliminate these threats.

-No major threat at all and the series ends with a huge multiverse tournament among the 12 universes.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: New ideas for an antagonist in Super?

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Still holding out hope for my "Janenba-like reality-warper, only he or she has dialogue where Janenba mostly yelled non-words".
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:30 pm

We never had a serious Vampire villain. I would like to see a villain similar to Iron Man where the person uses high tech power armor instead having ki or something similar to The Guyver where the character is a bio armor humanoid being.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:09 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:We never had a serious Vampire villain. I would like to see a villain similar to Iron Man where the person uses high tech power armor instead having ki or something similar to The Guyver where the character is a bio armor humanoid being.
You mean like those guys from DBM?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:42 pm

Somewhat, I was thinking about a battle armor suit similar to Iron Man. We also never had a cowboy villain before. A gunslinger outlaw that uses powerful deadly weapons instead of ki would be cool to see. It would be Dragon Ball's equivalent to Erron Black from MKX.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:48 pm

I've always wanted Dragon Ball to have a proper tragic antagonist/fallen hero. Someone like Mr Freeze, Rorschach or Magneto in terms of backstory, characterisation and development would be awesome.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:50 pm

Those are all great ideas! I think these would be a good ideas for new characters in other universes. What I meant was someone or something that could be a followup to a God of Destruction that is capable of wiping out an entire universe. In the manga, it felt that Toriyama was trying to take it up a notch every saga. King Piccolo was the strongest in the world and after that the next villains came from outer space. Vegeta called himself the strongest in the universe but it was later retconned so that his boss was the strongest. After that it was artificial constructs since Toriyama probably didn't want to introduce another random alien stronger than Freeza. The mightiest of these artificial beings was Cell who was made up of DNA from all the past major villains. The next level involved higher gods and magic. Kaioshin was the strongest god at the time, Dabura was King of the Demon Realm (and may or may not be a Makaioshin?), and Buu was the most powerful being in history. That was later retconned with Beerus and Whis being the strongest in that universe. Rather than retcon someone else as the strongest in the universe again, Toriyama expanded it to include other universes.

Would the next antagonist be an entity with a position even bigger and badder than Beerus or just someone who trained really hard in a different universe? What would their motive be that attracts the attention of the Z fighters? Would it be world domination, gather the DBs to make a sinister wish, test out their strength like Cell, etc.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:53 pm

I kinda want one of the Gods of Destruction from one of the other universes that isn't 6 or 7 to be a villain. He could be obsessed with destruction, going so far as to kill his assistant and destroying everything that exists in his own universe but because there's nothing left he decides to go to another universe to destroy, that universe being universe 7.

It's a bit too dark for Super so it probably won't happen.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I've always wanted Dragon Ball to have a proper tragic antagonist/fallen hero. Someone like Mr Freeze, Rorschach or Magneto in terms of backstory, characterisation and development would be awesome.
Would be nice and fresh. None of the villains so far was the kind that the audience secretly roots for.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:13 am

Demon skeletons from the demon realm and if they touch you your flesh burns up and your skeleton transforms into one of them. The demonic army fuses together to become a dark God of Armageddon. You are only immune to their touch of death if you have God ki.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:02 am

I want to see other gods of other natural forces that are more merciless but not evil, or the evil Kaioshins, or a higher authority God like a Thanos or Darkseid type character that wants the Super Dragonballs to use as a source of power like the infinity gauntlet.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:06 am

Another Namekian villain would be cool. Discounting Slug weve only had Piccolo Daimao and for a brief time his son/reincarnation. It would be cool to see another evil Namekian be brought into the fold. Perhaps another sorcerer like villain similar to Bobbidi but not relying on someone like Buu as a weapon.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:26 am

Basaku wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I've always wanted Dragon Ball to have a proper tragic antagonist/fallen hero. Someone like Mr Freeze, Rorschach or Magneto in terms of backstory, characterisation and development would be awesome.
Would be nice and fresh. None of the villains so far was the kind that the audience secretly roots for.
I don't know I was rooting for Commander Red when I found out his goal. The poor guy just wanted to be a little bit taller! Even more tragic is that he died at the hands of one of his tallest subordinates.
Nex Carnifex wrote:Demon skeletons from the demon realm and if they touch you your flesh burns up and your skeleton transforms into one of them. The demonic army fuses together to become a dark God of Armageddon. You are only immune to their touch of death if you have God ki.
That would be pretty scary but at the same time cool to see.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I kinda want one of the Gods of Destruction from one of the other universes that isn't 6 or 7 to be a villain. He could be obsessed with destruction, going so far as to kill his assistant and destroying everything that exists in his own universe but because there's nothing left he decides to go to another universe to destroy, that universe being universe 7.

It's a bit too dark for Super so it probably won't happen.
They could give him a silly motive to make it more appropriate for Super. Destroying planets over food is a Beerus thing so he has to have something different. Maybe his favorite soap opera ends?
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I want to see other gods of other natural forces that are more merciless but not evil, or the evil Kaioshins, or a higher authority God like a Thanos or Darkseid type character that wants the Super Dragonballs to use as a source of power like the infinity gauntlet.
Would he be using only parts of the Super Dragonballs or the entire ball? I'm picturing someone the size of TTGL able to hold the planet-sized Dragonballs in his hands.

ToxicFlame707
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ToxicFlame707 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:26 am

I think with the Gods we can have a story similar to Supernatural.
Beerus reminds me of Crowley, Supreme Kai is like Castiel.
Maybe there can be a female ex-God of Destruction like Abbadon who returns. Where Beerus is forced to ask for Goku's help. Or a former Supreme Kai that is like Metatron.
An arc that involves a Rogue Supreme Kai.
But if they introduce someone like that it should be someone who is a physical match but also someone who works in the shadows and is one step ahead of the heroes.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:52 am

Skar wrote: -Evil Saiyans attacking the Earth
I think Saiyan's are already way too overused as a villain (Broli,Tullece etc..).
-Villains escaping from Hell or come back for revenge.
We already have ROF and Super 17 Arc for this one.
-Sealed magical demon.
I actually liked this idea.It gives me Majin Boo feeling but something like a powerful Demon who was sealed long ago would be great to me.
-Last member of a race nearly wiped out by the Saiyans having revenge against the last few living on Earth.
So Baby all over again ? Nope
-Heroes getting possessed (Dr. Wheelo mind control thing, Babidi, Baby, Towa's mind control, Demigra's Dark Magic :crazy: )
I can dig this,but only if the one who possessed the power is the main,i actually like Demigra because unlike any other villains in the series (Which just fire Ki blast,punch and kicks).Demigra have time travel and other unique abilities.
-A renegade God of Destruction. I think this could work but what would his motive be to rebel in the first place? Defeat the other Gods of Destruction and claim the title of strongest in the multiverse?
This could be a good idea.But only for the final Arc for the series.

ToxicFlame707
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ToxicFlame707 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:38 am

SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:
Skar wrote:-A renegade God of Destruction. I think this could work but what would his motive be to rebel in the first place? Defeat the other Gods of Destruction and claim the title of strongest in the multiverse?
This could be a good idea.But only for the final Arc for the series.
What about a Renegade Kaioshin?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PQceeLTbXA

ToxicFlame707
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ToxicFlame707 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:50 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:We never had a serious Vampire villain.
ImageGarlic Jr
Hellspawn28 wrote:I would like to see a villain similar to Iron Man where the person uses high tech power armor instead having ki or something similar to The Guyver where the character is a bio armor humanoid being.
Dr. Gere

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:05 am

Whis and Vados potara fusion.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:15 am

I'm envious of how much knowledge other users have on cartoon characters & using them as examples. But I frankly know nothing abt all those guys like Dr. Guvyer, Dr.Freeza etc

To be honest, Super suffers frm chronic lack of hard-hitting, fast-paced intense brawls. I
For the most part, its very superficial. I might say fabricated with "artificial" Goddo chikara & major reason for that comes frm its (for me, hey its my opinion) lackluster antagonist, Beerus

You can say they're brainless morons

But the kind of aggression, intensity & raw display of brutal power (Broly, Janemba, Kid Buu) would elevate Super's sloppy action department

When its antagonist is hard-edged, the protagonist had to be equal or at least superior in termz edgy-ness in order to win, or sometimes survive the onslaught (in da case of Broly, Hiru, Janemba, Buu).

Now thats my humble view

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:46 am

In all honesty...some sorta of ancient eldritch horror from the deepest darkest depths of space. Like the kind of stuff that even Beerus would get the shivers from. Sadly this will probably never happen since its not quite Toriyama's thing...oh well.

Oh! Also another being like Hirudagan! I actually really liked him and thought how he was handled and fought was really refreshing!
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey