No more word filter!

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: No more word filter!

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:04 am

Most (if not all) of the English video game releases have also continued to use the 'Hercule' name as well, even as recently as Xenoverse, so that's kept the name prevalent to dub fans as well.

Oddly enough, based on discussions with dub only fans I've had, 'Mr. Satan' is usually the first name they do start using from the Japanese version. I'm not entirely sure if it's because it's one of the most major names that was outright changed completely rather than...'flexed'...so to speak, to where you can still kind of see where the dub name came from; or if it just sounds more 'intense' to most Western ears, due to the different charge the name Satan carries here.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:48 pm

There's also Viz's use of the name "Hercule".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Most (if not all) of the English video game releases have also continued to use the 'Hercule' name as well, even as recently as Xenoverse, so that's kept the name prevalent to dub fans as well.
Yes, and many western fans use video game terminology above all else, for whatever reason.

It's also irritating to me, because so many people religiously use "Teen Gohan" to refer to the prepubescent Gohan of the Cell arc...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:16 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Finally, I can see which infidels use the names "Pikkon", "Fasha", etc. Gokou? Hell yes.
Who or what in the absolute hell is "Fasha"?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:31 pm

Adamant wrote:Who or what in the absolute hell is "Fasha"?
That's the dub-name for Bardock's teammate Selypa. I would assume that back when FUNi dubbed the Bardock special they didn't have any names or good translations of stuff to go from.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:31 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:It's also irritating to me, because so many people religiously use "Teen Gohan" to refer to the prepubescent Gohan of the Cell arc...
That one is particularly weird (even though I was guilty of it for a while too) since, if I'm remembering right, Gohan's not quite a teenager even if you go with his upped age from the original dub.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:37 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:It's also irritating to me, because so many people religiously use "Teen Gohan" to refer to the prepubescent Gohan of the Cell arc...
That one is particularly weird (even though I was guilty of it for a while too) since, if I'm remembering right, Gohan's not quite a teenager even if you go with his upped age from the original dub.
I'm almost 89% sure the dub didn't change his age. It was filler.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:56 am

Kaboom wrote:
Adamant wrote:Who or what in the absolute hell is "Fasha"?
That's the dub-name for Bardock's teammate Selypa. I would assume that back when FUNi dubbed the Bardock special they didn't have any names or good translations of stuff to go from.
Bardock's teammates' Japanese names were fairly common enough fandom knowledge and plenty easy for anyone to look up since long, long many years before FUNi did the Bardock special.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:16 am

Admittedly, Bardock's teammates are another set of names I sometimes have trouble remembering, but that goes for the dub versions as well, since...well, the names aren't really mentioned often enough for me to remember very well. It's more so in the Japanese version where I want to say the only name we do hear in the special itself is Toma's (who FUNi called 'Tora' for...some reason or another).
Twitter

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:50 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Not to mention I seem to recall it being said that eventually (like once the Wiki is done), the Frieza and Tien filters are supposed to go away anyway. Or am I misremembering something here?
Probably accurate.
Is this still true ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:21 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:This thread just reminded me of something that I've long wondered before: why the hell exactly has Hercule as a name stuck for so long among dub fans anyway? Hasn't EVERY uncut home video version of the dub just gone with Mr. Satan? Hercule as a dub name would really only qualify for actual TV airings, wouldn't it? And maybe I'm just ignorant on this cause I've never really been much of a TV watcher, but Dragon Ball Z hasn't really been much of a presence on TV since what, the mid-ish 2000s or so? Kai notwithstanding obviously.

I just figured with all the years and years and years of downtime between TV airings and tons of dub fans living off of their (presumably uncut) home video releases, that after awhile Mr. Satan might've stuck more and overwritten Hercule in the minds of most within dub circles.
His name is still Hercule even in the uncut dub, it alternates between calling him Mr. Satan and Hercule in both the Cell games and Buu arc. Sometimes you'd hear the announcer say, "Here's Hercule!" and other times, "It's Mr. Satan!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Most (if not all) of the English video game releases have also continued to use the 'Hercule' name as well, even as recently as Xenoverse, so that's kept the name prevalent to dub fans as well.

Oddly enough, based on discussions with dub only fans I've had, 'Mr. Satan' is usually the first name they do start using from the Japanese version. I'm not entirely sure if it's because it's one of the most major names that was outright changed completely rather than...'flexed'...so to speak, to where you can still kind of see where the dub name came from; or if it just sounds more 'intense' to most Western ears, due to the different charge the name Satan carries here.
Well that's because, at least for me, the uncut DVDs use Mr. Satan 95% of the time. The only times they mention Hercule is in contexts like 'Hercule Satan'

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:15 pm

I am of two minds about this. On one hand, I'm sorry to see it go, because I do prefer the proper spellings and seeing "Tien" or the H-word bugs the crap outta me. On the other hand, there's the whole freedom of speech aspect of the debate and I respect the right to call the characters whatever you want, as long as people know who or what you're talking about. That and it makes it easier to do dub comparisons without writting "Fr-ieza" or "T-ien". So there is that.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:56 pm

Yeah, the word filter bothered me the most when we were trying to have legitimate discussions about name changes like with Mr. Satan to Hercule, and we had to make silly little modifications just to have the other name for the conversation (other names had it worse, because they just corrected to a set spelling vs "The H-Word").
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:29 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:as long as people know who or what you're talking about.
Half the reason behind the filter was so people would know what others were talking about, though. Funi dub watchers in particular have this obnoxious tendency to assume everyone are familiar with every single weird name from their dub.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Adamant wrote:
Half the reason behind the filter was so people would know what others were talking about, though. Funi dub watchers in particular have this obnoxious tendency to assume everyone are familiar with every single weird name from their dub.
I get that this is an issue, a particularly big one for you apparently, but it's an issue from a dub fan's POV too, or at least ones that aren't at least a little familiar with the Japanese version. That said though - is it really so hard/that big a deal to just ask if you're unsure of who they're talking about? I'm sure most would be able to answer easily enough.

That and, on a lot of them, the names are at least similar enough that I can't imagine someone on either side having a hard time making an educated guess who's being talked about - most of them, anyway. Usually the ones with their names changed to any great degree are minor character that generally aren't talked about a lot in the first place anyway.
Twitter

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:40 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: it's an issue from a dub fan's POV too, or at least ones that aren't at least a little familiar with the Japanese version.
Sure, but isn't the onus on them to learn what the actual names everyone knows are rather than force everyone else to learn the particular name changes from their particular dub because they're not going to be courteous enough to make an effort towards making their posts understandable? There's just this obnoxious air to it, you know? "I'm going to use names that don't exist outside this one random dub and pretend everyone are familiar with them, because I am."

It'd be an equally big problem for dub fans of non-English dubs too, but you never see them do it. It's only fans on one single specific dub that act this way.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:48 pm

Adamant wrote:Sure, but isn't the onus on them to learn what the actual names everyone knows are rather than force everyone else to learn the particular name changes from their particular dub because they're not going to be courteous enough to make an effort towards making their posts understandable? There's just this obnoxious air to it, you know? "I'm going to use names that don't exist outside this one random dub and pretend everyone are familiar with them, because I am."

It'd be an equally big problem for dub fans of non-English dubs too, but you never see them do it. It's only fans on one single specific dub that act this way.
To a degree, yes, they should become more used to at least recognizing the original names, which as I said, shouldn't be all that hard for most to figure out really - at least in terms of looking at the words and figuring it out, 'Kaio-sama' shouldn't be completely impossible for someone to look at and go 'Oh, that must be King Kai'. The same works in the opposite direction.

I'm not sure why you're so entirely convinced it's always FUNi dub fans that are the ones being obnoxious about what names they use, because I've seen just as many original version fans being just as obnoxious back. Both sides are equally at fault for being arrogant towards the other side of the debate, and when it gets really, really bad, I'm disgusted with both sides just as equally.

As for why names/terms from other versions don't come up as much, I'd wager a guess that it's because this is an English-speaking forum, based in America primarily. By that token alone, and the nature of the forum itself, there's generally going to be two versions brought up the most often - the Japanese version (as the original version, and the intended focus of the site as a whole), and the English dub by FUNimation (be it the original Ocean version or the eventual move to in-house that continues to exist today). If there were a larger presence of fans from other regions or if the forum itself was based from said other regions, I'm sure there'd be just as much conflict between names used there too.
Twitter

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:39 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I'm not sure why you're so entirely convinced it's always FUNi dub fans that are the ones being obnoxious about what names they use, because I've seen just as many original version fans being just as obnoxious back. Both sides are equally at fault for being arrogant towards the other side of the debate, and when it gets really, really bad, I'm disgusted with both sides just as equally.
This is a franchise. There are things that have names. There's a couple dozen or so different translations out there that change these names to other names, making for a couple dozen different sets of names a group of people could potentially be familiar with, in addition to the original names. One, and only one, of these groups contain fans that insist on using those names from their private localization. One. These aren't the original names, they're not names anyone not familiar with their particular localization would be familiar with, yet they still insist on using them. Do you not see how that is arrogant and rude towards everyone else?
The fact that you say there are "two sides" here only further highlights what I'm saying - there's only one group of dub fans that act like this, while all the other sides are so courteous you don't even notice they are sides.

And defending this with "this is an American forum in America and so the American fans of the American dub can run around using the American terms from the American dub because America" doesn't really help make it sound less arrogant.

I'm also fairly sure if I were to suddenly switch over to using Danish manga terminology in my posts you'd just see it as being douchey purely for the sake of being a douche.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:15 pm

Adamant wrote:
Which is why they changed Hercule to an in-joke that only someone who already knew about the name change would actually understand
Adamant wrote:
This is a franchise. There are things that have names. There's a couple dozen or so different translations out there that change these names to other names, making for a couple dozen different sets of names a group of people could potentially be familiar with, in addition to the original names. One, and only one, of these groups contain fans that insist on using those names from their private localization. One. These aren't the original names, they're not names anyone not familiar with their particular localization would be familiar with, yet they still insist on using them. Do you not see how that is arrogant and rude towards everyone else?
The fact that you say there are "two sides" here only further highlights what I'm saying - there's only one group of dub fans that act like this, while all the other sides are so courteous you don't even notice they are sides.

And defending this with "this is an American forum in America and so the American fans of the American dub can run around using the American terms from the American dub because America" doesn't really help make it sound less arrogant.

I'm also fairly sure if I were to suddenly switch over to using Danish manga terminology in my posts you'd just see it as being douchey purely for the sake of being a douche.
Bullshit. If you think only the dub fans insist people use those names, you are full of it. Especially since you are talking about a word filter that exists solely to force them to use different names. Get off your god damn high horse.