Streaming the series online

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Streaming the series online

Post by simtek34 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:57 pm

What are all the legal ways to watch the series in English, or with Subtitles? I know toonami.com has the most recent English Kai episodes, and Hulu has all of Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball in Japanese, episodes 1-5 of DB in English, and both languages have episodes 1-10 only of Z, but with the Orange Brick video. And if you say to buy the DVD/Blu-Ray, I mean Digitally.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Streaming the series online

Post by Cipher » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:05 pm

I say buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays, because that's the only way to support the series monetarily if the episodes aren't streaming on an official service.

Also, I could have sworn Hulu had all of Z at some point, but maybe that's changed. If they're down, I'm 99% sure your only legal option is to buy a home release.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:43 pm

The Windows store has the entirety of Z for 99 cents per with dub-only orange brick footage, and 1.99 for what I presume is Blu Season footage. I can't think of a free legal Z stream off hand. So Hulu has the other two in Japanese in full? I'll be checking that out!
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:23 am

FunimationNow has every episode of DB, Z, GT, and as far as I can tell, the movies as well. They have the Japanese version with subtitles and their latest dub (no Faulconer music). The issue is that like Hulu, they're using the orange brick footage but somehow made it look worse. Though FunimationNow costs like $70 for a full year and you have access to a ton of anime. I'm watching Yu Yu Hakuho right now.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:31 pm

I made a gigantic post that's probably out of date... Here.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:53 pm

B wrote:I made a gigantic post that's probably out of date... Here.
Is there a sort of "gilding" system on this site? Because thanks, thanks a lot.

...Beyond that, I am hesitant to support their DVD's, as (& I know a lot of fans are hardcore subbies in general, but) it seems to give the impression that forgoing residuals is an okay thing to do. I guarantee you that dub (whether I like it or not) sells a LOT of those DVD's, yet...it's kind of pointless to buy them because the people who worked on the dub don't even make a money off it. I prefer to import the Dragon Box discs.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:32 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

...Beyond that, I am hesitant to support their DVD's, as (& I know a lot of fans are hardcore subbies in general, but) it seems to give the impression that forgoing residuals is an okay thing to do. I guarantee you that dub (whether I like it or not) sells a LOT of those DVD's, yet...it's kind of pointless to buy them because the people who worked on the dub don't even make a money off it. I prefer to import the Dragon Box discs.
Just curious, do you have some of underlying hatred or something against Funimation? Every post I see from you just appear to be a passive aggressive remark towards the cast or the company as a whole

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:49 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

Just curious, do you have some of underlying hatred or something against Funimation? Every post I see from you just appear to be a passive aggressive remark towards the cast or the company as a whole
As someone who wishes that anime somehow got mainstream/general quality enough to get proper dubs ala Final Fantasy, Hot Shots Golf, Ape Espcape, Tekkonkinkreet, Laws of the Universe, Animatrix, Kingdom Hearts, etc..

A lot of comments of certain fans rub me the wrong way. It isn't as much of an issue with Kingdom Hearts, seeing as the dub is (usually) objectively wonderfully accurate & well-budgeted (as a partnership involving Disney), tho there's still a matter of "we see dub only, so we like dub". I even mentioned "Kingdom Hearts dub" at one point, & someone said "Wait, KH has an anime?"

* & I guess, as someone who prefers dubs, loves voice actors (including Japanese ones!) & wishes everything were dubbed well, it doesn't sit well with me when a popular dub is mishandled, & I guess fandumb as well. This isn't out of spite for/dismissal of dubs as a whole, like Ajay, VegettoEX, BigOnAnime, & Gravitypriest...because I ALWAYS watch a dub primarily, if I know it's good & is worth watching. Tiger & Bunny etc. It's more that dubs are reflective of how we respect a foreign product.

* When people bitch about a decent dub like OPM's or HxH's, yet adore the abominations that are DBZ's (Kai to a much, much, lesser extent), Phoenix Wright's, & to an extent large parts of MGS & several ATLUS castings, while totally ignoring the fact that a lot of these dubs use the SAME actors, directors, & studios, & there are tons of wonderful big-name dubs like the ones I mentioned at the top...jeez.

Beyond that, FUNimation gets tons of praise for their cheap home releases & constant license-eating...while people totally ignore that NONE of their dubs pay residuals, or even a half-decent living wage. To the point where Sean Schemmel pointed this out. & actors rarely complain about pay.

This was originally intended as a drive-by - I don't have a ton of time & I have a ton of things to respond to. I hope this satisfies somewhat.