Dr. Slump Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Dr. Slump Discussion Thread

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:48 am

I'm reading the Dr. Slump manga for the first time while also watching Dragon Ball in Japanese for the first time.

Has anybody else around here read Dr. Slump? I'm only like 6 or 7 chapters in, the whole thing is like 18 volumes which I was NOT expecting, gonna take me quite awhile to finish, but I think I'm already a big fan of it so that's not a problem.

Questions,

1. Are you guys fans of Dr. Slump?
2. Do you prefer Toriyama's comical writing or his serious writing?
3. With the crossover, do you believe Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball take place in the same world? If not, what's your explanation for the crossover?
4. Would you like to see more Dr. Slump crossover in Super? Arale vs Beerus?
5. Arale for Xenoverse 2? I mean we got Jaco so it's not totally out of the question, lol

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dr. Slump Discussion Thread

Post by Cipher » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:01 am

I love Dr. Slump, but am only a few volumes in. I've been purchasing them digitally every once in a while. I've watched a handful of the anime episodes from both series online (though they're hard to come by), and own Discotek's set of the first five movies released, I think, last year.

1. Yes
2. Comical, to take nothing away from the fact that one of the reasons Dragon Ball still has me hooked its ability to move between tones. What I like about Toriyama's work as a whole is that it feels propelled by its own whimsy, unrestricted by convention or promises it makes at the start.
3. I don't. Dragon World is too coherent, and Dragon Ball relies on some level of internal logic. Dr. Slump is just capable of tearing holes through reason. The anime seems to depict Goku and Blue moving through some sort of wormhole, though the mechanics are never explained.
4. I don't really care about having more canonical crossovers. They're fun, but work better on the Dr. Slump side of things for reasons stated above.
5. Whatever. Sure.

Here's an excellent write-up about how gleefully show-offy Dr. Slump is.

As far as humor, one of the things Dr. Slump does really well (in addition to just being adorable and charming), is to set up its own absurd logic, and then make jokes that violate it. That's an amazingly hard thing to do. The risk, of course, is simply feeling like you're going for juvenile "random" humor, but Slump manages to present a world that runs on a completely alien logic and still mine it for jokes with conventional structure.

Marugoto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marugoto » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:10 am

I've only read the first six volumes so far. I'm definitely enjoying it, It's just the story of the week structure makes it harder to binge read than Dragon Ball. I also bought the Discotek movie set when it came out. I still haven't watched since I wanna finish the manga first.

1. Yeah I guess. I'm still a Newbie at this point :wink:
2. Hmn...I definitely liked his serious writing from the end of the 22nd Budokai to the end of the Namek arc the most. It's hard to say how much of that is thanks to Torishimas and Kondos influence though.
3. Haven't seen Super yet, but from what I've heard about it, it doesn't seem to care too much about continuity. So sure, why not.
4. I'd much rather have a localized version of Fusions already.
There's also a Dr. Slump game on DS. I can't find much info about it but I might pick it up someday, out of curiosity.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:57 am

I did watch the anime when I was young, and I have read 2 volumes of the manga. I do have the entire manga, so sooner or later I would read it completely.

1. I have always been a fan of Dr. Slump. I watched it and Dragon Ball at the same time back in the day.
2. I like both styles, and I'm currently liking super that seems more like a combination of both.
3. For me both Dr. Slump and DB take place in the same world, however, there are a few inconsistencies (kami-sama I think is one of the bigger ones). There is a second Dr. Slump and DB crossover that happens during a few episodes of the Dr. Slump second series. It's a "remake" of the Blue crossover with a few things added like Murasaki and Arale vs Oozaru Goku.
4. I wouldn't mind seeing Penguin Mura on Super. However, Arale is not as strong as Birusu, so I don't see her fighting the god of destruction.
5. Yes, I would like that. I liked that she appeared in Sparking Meteor.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:23 pm

Yes, I enjoy Dr. Slump. I've completed the entire manga series a few times already. I'm not as acquainted with its animated adaptations, however. I should give them a chance when I can. I don't really have a preference towards Toriyama's writing either way. It's all about direction. When he's writing comedy, his style shines through. When he's writing action, his style shines through. If anything, I think Dr. Slump helped him combine the worlds when he started composing Dragon Ball. He had the talent for both unique genres. A version of Dr. Slump continuity exists in Dragon Ball separate from the original Dr. Slump story. I feel like I've been covering that subject often lately! In any case, Dr. Slump is stated to take place in Japan and Dragon World has no Japan. There's really no other way to reconcile it other than conclude it's an alternate version of the characters in Dragon World. As for exposure, less is more. I prefer everyone continue cameo duty than being involved with the plot further. I'm actually disappointed that Goku had nothing to say to Arale, but I'll live. Video games? Sure, why not? Anything is possible in that medium.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:55 pm

1 - I'm a fan of Dr Slump. I'm a bigger fan of DBZ, but I like Dr Slump too.

2 - Toriyama is a gag writer, his writing is sort of inherently comical. But I enjoy most of his jokes.

3 - I believe the worlds of DB and Dr Slump are the same.

4 - I'd love more appearances by Arale! Maybe not a major role, but some more cameos would be nice.

5 - I don't know about that.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Cipher wrote:I love Dr. Slump, but am only a few volumes in. I've been purchasing them digitally every once in a while. I've watched a handful of the anime episodes from both series online (though they're hard to come by), and own Discotek's set of the first five movies released, I think, last year.

1. Yes
2. Comical, to take nothing away from the fact that one of the reasons Dragon Ball still has me hooked its ability to move between tones. What I like about Toriyama's work as a whole is that it feels propelled by its own whimsy, unrestricted by convention or promises it makes at the start.
3. I don't. Dragon World is too coherent, and Dragon Ball relies on some level of internal logic. Dr. Slump is just capable of tearing holes through reason. The anime seems to depict Goku and Blue moving through some sort of wormhole, though the mechanics are never explained.
4. I don't really care about having more canonical crossovers. They're fun, but work better on the Dr. Slump side of things for reasons stated above.
5. Whatever. Sure.

Here's an excellent write-up about how gleefully show-offy Dr. Slump is.

As far as humor, one of the things Dr. Slump does really well (in addition to just being adorable and charming), is to set up its own absurd logic, and then make jokes that violate it. That's an amazingly hard thing to do. The risk, of course, is simply feeling like you're going for juvenile "random" humor, but Slump manages to present a world that runs on a completely alien logic and still mine it for jokes with conventional structure.
Fantastic post! Very in-depth. I'm trying my best to think of something to add, to continue the discussion, but I just agree with every single thing you said.

Well, thanks for the link too! That was a terrific read.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:30 pm

I somewhat enjoy Dr Slump but it's too whacked for me to seriously enjoy it. However, I do vastly prefer Toriyama's gag writing and I missed it like hell from the Saiyan saga until the end of the Cell arc.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Im insaneFromEarth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Im insaneFromEarth » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:47 am

I would love for us to get the Anime, I love the manga and would love to watch the anime.

samuo2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuo2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:56 am

nickzambuto wrote:I'm reading the Dr. Slump manga for the first time while also watching Dragon Ball in Japanese for the first time.

Has anybody else around here read Dr. Slump? I'm only like 6 or 7 chapters in, the whole thing is like 18 volumes which I was NOT expecting, gonna take me quite awhile to finish, but I think I'm already a big fan of it so that's not a problem.

Questions,

1. Are you guys fans of Dr. Slump?
2. Do you prefer Toriyama's comical writing or his serious writing?
3. With the crossover, do you believe Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball take place in the same world? If not, what's your explanation for the crossover?
4. Would you like to see more Dr. Slump crossover in Super? Arale vs Beerus?
5. Arale for Xenoverse 2? I mean we got Jaco so it's not totally out of the question, lol
Just like you, I've started Dr. Slump one month ago, today I'm at the seventh volume of the Deluxe Edition (15 volumes)

1. Yes, I am
2. I like both of them, and the mix of the twice is surprisingly very good, Battle of Gods and Majin Buu arc are the best prooves of it. But I think that I'm not objective at all, my plan is to read all Toriyama's works, I've read 7 of them and I like them all, more than the ton he employes, I like Toriyama's style.
3. Not really, it was a really cool cross-over, but like loads of other (Cross Epoch, Neko Majin), they are wrote and build in totally different ways. Dr. Slump has no logic and play with it as a giant gag. Dragon Ball become more and more serious and kept caution to make the constant outdo believable.
4. Why not. A minor role as an ephemeral comic-relief sounds good, especially because Dragon Ball Super has an atmosphere more close of Dr. Slump than other series, include the beginning of Dragon Ball.
5. I've no hope anymore in Xenoverse 2 since the announce of no Buu's absorption and Freezer's forms, but in futurs DB Games yeah, she was present in BT3 after all.
English isn't my native Language, please be understanding with faults and other grammatical mistakes, and don't hesitate to correct me !

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:26 pm

samuo2 wrote:
Just like you, I've started Dr. Slump one month ago, today I'm at the seventh volume of the Deluxe Edition (15 volumes)

1. Yes, I am
2. I like both of them, and the mix of the twice is surprisingly very good, Battle of Gods and Majin Buu arc are the best prooves of it. But I think that I'm not objective at all, my plan is to read all Toriyama's works, I've read 7 of them and I like them all, more than the ton he employes, I like Toriyama's style.
3. Not really, it was a really cool cross-over, but like loads of other (Cross Epoch, Neko Majin), they are wrote and build in totally different ways. Dr. Slump has no logic and play with it as a giant gag. Dragon Ball become more and more serious and kept caution to make the constant outdo believable.
4. Why not. A minor role as an ephemeral comic-relief sounds good, especially because Dragon Ball Super has an atmosphere more close of Dr. Slump than other series, include the beginning of Dragon Ball.
5. I've no hope anymore in Xenoverse 2 since the announce of no Buu's absorption and Freezer's forms, but in futurs DB Games yeah, she was present in BT3 after all.
Wow. I have the same goal as you, to become an Akira Toriyama fan rather than simply a Dragon Ball fan, but you're WAY ahead of me! Damn, seven volumes in one month? You must be having a great time.

samuo2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuo2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Ahah, it's the Summer Break in France, and when you're in Highschool, you have more of 3 months,so at the opposite I think I'm pretty slow uhuh
But yes it's a great experience! I already knew some side of Toriyama's ton (I've read Jaco Galactic Patrolman, KatsuraAkira, Kajika, Neko Majin, Sand Land) but Dr. Slump surprised me a lot! When you imagine that the author of Dragon Ball developped such a grotesque humor, it's crazy.
But, really, it's hilarous, go ahead and catch up your lateness !
English isn't my native Language, please be understanding with faults and other grammatical mistakes, and don't hesitate to correct me !