Can Voice Actors Swap What Company They Work For?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Can Voice Actors Swap What Company They Work For?

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:01 am

I thought once a voice actor has a job at a dubbing company say for example
FUNimation or 4kids, they have to stay with that company until they are done with them and then move to another company if they wanted to.

Once you work for someone you can't just swap to another company can you? I asked this because Sean Schemmel recently dubbed a character in Pokemon which is a 4kids license. So does this mean FUNimation let him go being there done with Dragonball or is this common with voice actors?

Link: http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=10946 (second to last paragraph)

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:23 am

It depends on whether their contract has an exclusivity clause. If it does, they can only do work for the company they signed with. If not, they're free agents.

-Corey

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:20 pm

I don't know exactly how it is in the USA, but in Germany the (voice) actors are "free". They don't work for one specific company/studio. They work in their areas/cities (the big ones are "Berlin, Munich, Hamburg" and sometimes "Cologne") and if they get hired for one job/character they just do it. Every studio can hire almost every actor.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:35 pm

Schemmel has actually been doing work with 4Kids for a while. He's voiced multiple characters on Pokemon, as well as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and some other properties.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:17 pm

I know that a lot of Funi actors do stuff for ADV and vice-versa. With American shows, guys are pretty much free.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:46 pm

I know he's also this big guy on a flash-made show on NickToons Network.

But Mr. Schemmel on pokemon? If I hadn't quit pokemon back in 8th or 9th grade I would've been very excited.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:12 am

Yeah, Sean Schemmel's been on Pokemon a lot for minor roles, and I'm always filled with glee when I figure out he's the voice actor for any random character. I was especially happy when I found out he's playing Jimmy (though I just call him "Gold", because that's who he is in the manga and the games anyway :lol: .)

I was under the assumption that Sean Schemmel wasn't working for Funimation anymore, but I guess that's a stupid assumption because he's still voicing Goku for video games, movies and such. Umm, I know Meowth's voice actor was fired from 4Kids for joining Pokemon Company, and now all the Pokemon main character voice actors are ranting everywhere. :roll: Oh well, I'll enjoy my Pokemon before it gets cancelled, anyway.
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:15 am

Sean is also the dub voice of Chronos de Medici on YGO GX. (Even though his voice isn't really well-off for the character, considering he was supposed to be a spastic Italian man in make-up. :lol: ) At least...I think that's Sean.

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:33 am

Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:Sean is also the dub voice of Chronos de Medici on YGO GX. (Even though his voice isn't really well-off for the character, considering he was supposed to be a spastic Italian man in make-up. :lol: ) At least...I think that's Sean.
Oh yeah, I forgot about him. :D Before the show actually aired on CN, I thought Sean Schemmel was playing someone else, but then I realized he was playing the guy who I wasn't sure of the gender of. :lol: I actually think he's got a good voice for the character, and I'm sure he's (yes, it is a he) fun to play as. (Unless he gets so annoyed with his own character, then I feel sorry for him.)

I stopped watching GX after the first episode. I can't stand Eric Stuart with a British (if that's what you call it) accent. He sounds like a bad impression of a gay, British Seto Kaiba. :x

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:04 am

veshira wrote:
Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:Sean is also the dub voice of Chronos de Medici on YGO GX. (Even though his voice isn't really well-off for the character, considering he was supposed to be a spastic Italian man in make-up. :lol: ) At least...I think that's Sean.
Oh yeah, I forgot about him. :D Before the show actually aired on CN, I thought Sean Schemmel was playing someone else, but then I realized he was playing the guy who I wasn't sure of the gender of. :lol: I actually think he's got a good voice for the character, and I'm sure he's (yes, it is a he) fun to play as. (Unless he gets so annoyed with his own character, then I feel sorry for him.)
The voice is good, don't get me wrong, but it's just wrong for the character. (If you hear the original character's voice, you will wholeheartedly agree.) He just makes Chronos (I often forget dub names) sound like an transvestite Goku than he actually should. (And the dub rapes Chronos of his catch phrases, such as: "Mama Mia!", "Gorgonzola Cheese!", and my favorite "Non! Non! Non!")

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:35 am

Sean moved to New York, where the 4Kids Recording Studio is, and both Kyle Hebert and Dameon Clarke moved to LA. So yes, you'll hear Sean in various 4Kids shows (he also directs occasionally) and Kyle's been playing a few characters like Kiba Inuzuka from the Naruto dub, while Dameon's working on a live actioon movie :o Despite this, all three of them will still come in to respectively voice their appropriate Dragonball characters for any new video games that come up.

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Blastero » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:06 am

Schemmel, I believe, was also the voice of Black Doom in the game, "Shadow the Hedgehog", since Sega dumped all of their own Sonic actors, and went to 4Kids for their actors.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:54 am

Kirbopher wrote:Sean moved to New York, where the 4Kids Recording Studio is, and both Kyle Hebert and Dameon Clarke moved to LA. So yes, you'll hear Sean in various 4Kids shows (he also directs occasionally) and Kyle's been playing a few characters like Kiba Inuzuka from the Naruto dub, while Dameon's working on a live actioon movie :o Despite this, all three of them will still come in to respectively voice their appropriate Dragonball characters for any new video games that come up.
Schemmel, being in the NY area, also does work for NYAV Post, which is a dub studio that does work primarily for Media Blasters/Anime Works ... (Berserk, Gokusen, Sadamitsu The Destroyer, Samurai Deeper Kyo)
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:30 pm

Kirbopher wrote:Sean moved to New York, where the 4Kids Recording Studio is, and both Kyle Hebert and Dameon Clarke moved to LA. So yes, you'll hear Sean in various 4Kids shows (he also directs occasionally) and Kyle's been playing a few characters like Kiba Inuzuka from the Naruto dub, while Dameon's working on a live actioon movie :o
Dameon Clarke was also in an episode of the recent season of CSI: Miami :D
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:36 pm

The S wrote:
Kirbopher wrote:Sean moved to New York, where the 4Kids Recording Studio is, and both Kyle Hebert and Dameon Clarke moved to LA. So yes, you'll hear Sean in various 4Kids shows (he also directs occasionally) and Kyle's been playing a few characters like Kiba Inuzuka from the Naruto dub, while Dameon's working on a live actioon movie :o
Dameon Clarke was also in an episode of the recent season of CSI: Miami :D
NO!! :cry: I missed Dameon Clarke! No! My Cell fangirl heart just broke.

On another note, does Sean Schemmel living in NY mean he's likely attending AnimeNext? Oh geez, I hope I don't meet him. I'd freak out and probably scare him. >_<;

And I thought Kiba sounded like Gohan. Yes, I'm not crazy! :D

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:58 pm

I want to see Cell's VA on CSI! Do you know any CBS-affiliated station that shows reruns, or at least what the episode title was?

If Goku's VA is at AnimeNext, and I had people to go with, I would definitely visit. Also I'd love to see the live podcast.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:52 pm

http://imdb.com/title/tt0534845/
David DeLuise, son of Dom, various commercial spokesman, and voice of Coop on Megas XLR was in the episode as well. Just beware of David Caruso's non-existant acting! 8)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:20 pm

Oh wow, thank you. I'll try to find a station that reruns the show and catch it. (I've watched other CSI's, just not the Miami one before.)
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!