"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dpc292
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dpc292 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:32 pm

simtek34 wrote:
Dpc292 wrote:
Hit!! wrote:
Agreed.
You see. The dub is always better.
Then tell me, is the Dragon Ball Z FUNimation dub better that the Original Japanese version? The dub of an anime isn't always better.
...did you not just hear the guy. He likes the dub more than the sub. Also we hav the people of the right sex voicing the characters of the right sex.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Dpc292 wrote: ...did you not just hear the guy. He likes the dub more than the sub. Also we hav the people of the right sex voicing the characters of the right sex.
"Right sex"? I suggest you actually do some research about what you're watching, because the dub you're talking about has tons of characters voiced by the "wrong sex" so to speak.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 17, 2017 7:10 pm

So...in the Part 1 home release trailer, they added it was gonna be available digitally. Where besides their streaming service does that mean? iTunes? Amazon? Anyone have any ideas? I won't buy the Part sets, but I'll get the episodes digitally if they're on iTunes when they're released.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Dpc292 wrote: ...did you not just hear the guy. He likes the dub more than the sub. Also we hav the people of the right sex voicing the characters of the right sex.
"Right sex"? I suggest you actually do some research about what you're watching, because the dub you're talking about has tons of characters voiced by the "wrong sex" so to speak.
True but those are kids. That's expected.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
simtek34 wrote: Then tell me, is the Dragon Ball Z FUNimation dub better that the Original Japanese version? The dub of an anime isn't always better.
I like the dub more, yes, even though I know it's the inferior product in most areas.
I should have been more clear. I was talking to Dpc292, not you Dbzfan94, kay?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 pm

Dpc292 wrote: True but those are kids. That's expected.
Uh huh. Sure. That's really convenient for you to draw the line right there.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 17, 2017 11:37 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Well, it's not like FUNi has access to, nor the time for, more Aaron Dismukes, do they?
Last edited by Scsigs on Thu May 18, 2017 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:00 am

Scsigs wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
Well, it's not like FUNi has access to, nor the time for, more Aaren Dismukes, do they?
See this bubula gets it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu May 18, 2017 1:11 am

Dpc292 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Bansho64 wrote: Uh huh. Sure. That's really convenient for you to draw the line right there.
Well, it's not like FUNi has access to, nor the time for, more Aaron Dismukes, do they?
See this bubula gets it.
I was exaggerating for comedy purposes, making fun of this "argument."

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:58 am

Bansho64 wrote:
What about Freeza? HE's not a kid and he was voiced by a woman unril Kai arrived.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:23 am

Gafonso6 wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
What about Freeza? HE's not a kid and he was voiced by a woman unril Kai arrived.
Yes but they did not probably know what his gender was then.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu May 18, 2017 4:40 am

Dpc292 wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
Bansho64 wrote: Uh huh. Sure. That's really convenient for you to draw the line right there.
Yes but they did not probably know what his gender was then.
They refer to him as Lord Frieza with male pronouns as early as his first appearance, so no.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Shit, shit, shit, shit. A new Super episode WILL NOT AIR DURING 27/5 THEY ARE REPEATING EP 19 AGAIN.....!!!!! FFS! 2 weeks behind now on the retellings! Arghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like is a Samurai Jack marathon really necessary if they're gonna re-run it anyway? Flip sake.

http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tv/dragon- ... tvschedule
http://schedule.adultswim.com/servlet/S ... &filter=as

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Then the following week they should air 20 & 21 as an apology to all the Super fans who will be pissed off by this.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Thu May 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Didn't think this was worth making a topic for, but I've been watching just YouTube clips of the dub and is it just me or is Sabat back to making Vegeta sound gravelly again like he did pre-Kai? I guess I felt the same way in the BoG movie and then he was fine in RoF. I determined it was more due to the fact that Vegeta is basically just yelling for the entire BoG arc whether it be in the movie or anime and he doesn't really have many calm lines. I dunno, am I just crazy?
So I'd like to revise this a little bit. My only real experiences with DBS dub Vegeta have been YouTube. There's generally some sound distortion involved to bypass the video getting taken down, but now I watched some of DBS officially now, and I must say Sabat's Vegeta sounds much closer to how he did in Kai than I initially thought. There's still something different, but I'm pretty sure that's related to all of the comedic Vegeta scenes that we don't really get much of in Kai. I definitely feel Horikawa nails goofy Vegeta way better than Sabat, but I'm still relieved Sabat's Vegeta hasn't changed all that much. There's really no reason to divert from his Kai performance at all. Other than to continually make Vegeta sound more natural, which still seems to be 50-50 depending on the scene
I know exactly what you mean. Whilst it is similar to his Kai portrayal, there are some elements akin to the Z version.

At that, I feel like the Super dub is a combination of Kai and Z. For example, having Vegeta use the 'clown' term, the voices of Brad Jackson and Meredith McCoy returning,

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:37 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Then the following week they should air 20 & 21 as an apology to all the Super fans who will be pissed off by this.
As an AoT fan I'm more pissed that it's dub will be a week behind then Super. Super right now is just a retelling of a movie we have dubbed, but AoT's biggest episode with the greatest plot twist reveal in the entire series is getting delayed, we've been waiting 3 years for this reveal in English. And those fans who are exclusively English dub, who somehow have managed to avoid people spoiling the reveal for them have to use caution for yet another week.
Last edited by NintendoBlaze53 on Thu May 18, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Thu May 18, 2017 9:00 pm

Patience is a virtue. Just be glad that Toonami doesn't do months long hiatuses like they used to back in the day.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:41 pm

wjbraden wrote:Patience is a virtue. Just be glad that Toonami doesn't do months long hiatuses like they used to back in the day.
Then again, back then it was new episodes 5 days a week, so eh. Anyone could argue on either side, but I prefer our current "nonstop" premiere schedule.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 am

I believe the english dub is going very fast. By the end of this year we might already be watching the first part of the Black Arc dubbed. So i think it's ok if the dub takes a break for a week.

keep in mind that the original japanese broadcast in Fuji TV had many breaks, especially during the U6 arc and the Black/Trunks Arc.

On the other hand, i too want the dub to reach the good stuff as soon as possible. If the dub is so enjoyable now that it's going through the lowest point in quality of the whole series, imagine when we get to the Black Arc and the Tournament of Power Arc.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 19, 2017 4:40 am

France are already on the Black arc and we're now just starting the Freeza retelling, it's not going by fast.