"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 29, 2017 12:42 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote: I mean Lowenthal hasn't taken any new anime roles since 2013, aside from returning as Sasuke and Suzaku for Naruto and Code Geass, he's done mainly game acting.
Actually, Yuri Lowenthal's had many roles outside of video game voice acting, as you can read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Lowe ... ilmography.
Though video games to seem do take up a majority of the things he's voice acted in in the last several years, he's had several anime roles other than Sasuke, American cartoons, & even some live action work. He's mainly been teenage Ben Tennyson until 2014, when Carton Network quietly cancelled Omniverse because it was pretty bad overall from many angles, but he's had quite a few roles in other things than what you've suggested.
Last edited by Scsigs on Mon May 29, 2017 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:42 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: You know it's funny you mentioned Yuri Lowenthal, because, before Xenoverse 2 DLC 1 came out, I originally pictured him as the voice of Cabba. (Even though everyone else was thinking Todd Haberkorn) But the person they got, Clifford Chapin, is perfect. Now you're thoughts on Stephanie Sheh potentially being the English voice of Kale, AND, Jamie Marchi as Caulifla? Do you agree with this, or do you got someone else in mind?
I think the reason people like Sheh, Lowenthal, Bosch and Haberkorn get thrown around so much in what if casting is due to them being veterans. Sheh, Lowenthal and Bosch have been acting in anime for going on 10 years now. People know them more then some newer actors like Chapin, he's become the new wave of talent, comprised of actors like Justin Briner, Micah Solusod, Josh Grelle, Bryce Papenbrook, Austin Tindle and so many more. These new actors are the ones who get major roles now in new shows and get called up for important supporting cast members. I mean Lowenthal hasn't taken any new anime roles since 2013, aside from returning as Sasuke and Suzaku for Naruto and Code Geass, he's done mainly game acting. Maybe people who make what if dub casts aren't familiar with the modern talent pool at Funimation, but a lot of the mainstays of the past era barely act anymore in new roles. And then there's Kyle Hebert and Chris Sabat who look like they'll never stop voicing characters, thou they keep getting better so you won't see me complain, Sabat's All Might is spectacular in My Hero Academia's dub.
As long as team four star voices all the guys in universe 11. They are perfect for lanipator and kaiserneko and the rest of them.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:15 am

Scsigs wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote: I mean Lowenthal hasn't taken any new anime roles since 2013, aside from returning as Sasuke and Suzaku for Naruto and Code Geass, he's done mainly game acting.
Actually, Yuri Lowenthal's had many roles outside of video game voice acting, as you can read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Lowe ... ilmography.
Though video games to seem do take up a majority of the things he's voice acted in in the last several years, he's had several anime roles other than Sasuke, American cartoons, & even some live action work. He's mainly been teenage Ben Tennyson until 2014, when Carton Network quietly cancelled Omniverse because it was pretty bad overall from many angles, but he's had quite a few roles in other things than what you've suggested.
Oh I know Yuri does TV a lot these days, he's one of those actors that has distanced themselves from anime over time, along with Troy Baker and Laura Bailey (Thou maybe I'm still just sad she couldn't reprise Rise in Persona 4 Dancing due to scheduling conflicts). I'm glad Yuri still knows his anime fanbase, him coming back for Suzaku in the Akito the Exiled dub is great and means chances are he'll come back for Code Geass Season 3 and he played Yosuke in the Persona4 series for each of it's 6 games, I honestly can't see who he'd play in DBSuper though. Funimation's respect for casting veteran anime actors in long runing shonen as of late has been interesting, such as their decision to cast Vic Mignogna as Sabo in One Piece.

Also is the whole union and non-union thing still a problem with Funimation getting out of town actors? I haven't seen anyone talk about it in a while and Funimation have been knocking it out of the park with getting actors to return in old roles from other studios such as Code Geass and Haruhi Suzumiya.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon May 29, 2017 11:32 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Also is the whole union and non-union thing still a problem with Funimation getting out of town actors? I haven't seen anyone talk about it in a while and Funimation have been knocking it out of the park with getting actors to return in old roles from other studios such as Code Geass and Haruhi Suzumiya.
I don't get the impression that it's really an issue anymore, but it's also probably something they try to limit to reprisals and "big" series like Attack on Titan or something like One Piece where it just has so many characters that they kind of have to branch out if they want all the "important" people to have unique voices.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 31, 2017 5:20 pm

FUNi's site is now updated: http://www.dragonballsuperofficial.com

Some new art:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed May 31, 2017 6:37 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi's site is now updated: http://www.dragonballsuperofficial.com

Some new art:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
How do you get to the site because it never works for me
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 31, 2017 7:18 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi's site is now updated: http://www.dragonballsuperofficial.com

Some new art:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
How do you get to the site because it never works for me
Huh that is strange, it works normal for me always has done, the only thing that does not work for me is when I am not using a VPN is the products page as FUNi region locked their website.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:23 pm

Some new art:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Since the site barely works, could you take screenshots of the site?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:28 am

simtek34 wrote:

Some new art:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Since the site barely works, could you take screenshots of the site?
Sure:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Kind of odd it isn't working for you guys.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:49 pm

Here's something that would be cool. If in the DVDs/Blu Rays, we can choose which language we want to hear the Openings and Endings in whichever dub. So you would get, English Dub, with Japanese opening and ending. Japanese Dub, with Japanese opening and ending. English Dub, with English opening and ending. And even, Japanese Dub, with English opening and ending.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:06 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Here's something that would be cool. If in the DVDs/Blu Rays, we can choose which language we want to hear the Openings and Endings in whichever dub. So you would get, English Dub, with Japanese opening and ending. Japanese Dub, with Japanese opening and ending. English Dub, with English opening and ending. And even, Japanese Dub, with English opening and ending.
It wouldn't happen though.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:31 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Here's something that would be cool. If in the DVDs/Blu Rays, we can choose which language we want to hear the Openings and Endings in whichever dub. So you would get, English Dub, with Japanese opening and ending. Japanese Dub, with Japanese opening and ending. English Dub, with English opening and ending. And even, Japanese Dub, with English opening and ending.
It wouldn't happen though.
Is it a cool idea though?
Caulifla best girl! :)

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:18 pm

Funimation forgot to translate the "4 months later" text after the eyecatch/commercial.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:31 pm

DHM211 wrote:Funimation forgot to translate the "4 months later" text after the eyecatch/commercial.
Or Toei has no clean version of that scene without the text to give them so they couldn't add in their translated version of the text which is probably the case. That's strange though because they are able to do it with the text in One Piece but even in there some of the text is still in Japanese with English subtitles for what its trying to say instead of translated text in the episode like most of the text
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:46 pm

Those that caught the dub airing, did Ayres knock it out the park as expected?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:48 pm

DHM211 wrote:Funimation forgot to translate the "4 months later" text after the eyecatch/commercial.
Or Toei has no clean version of that scene without the text to give them so they couldn't add in their translated version of the text which is probably the case. That's strange though because they are able to do it with the text in One Piece but even in there some of the text is still in Japanese with English subtitles for it instead of translated text in the episode like most of the text.
One Piece they just translate the title cards, opening animation text, & location/timeskip text into English, as is their company policy. If there's signs or symbols, they generally leave the text untranslated & put the translation in the subtitles to appear when they do. Super has the same thing, I assume, & it'll most likely be fixed for the Blu-Rays & DVDs. Remember, Sabat said the dub mistake where Vegeta said he defeated Buu in English was going to be fixed for the home release. It might end up being the same case for that text.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Those that caught the dub airing, did Ayres knock it out the park as expected?
Yep. The scene where he tortured Tagoma was fantastic.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Or Toei has no clean version of that scene without the text to give them so they couldn't add in their translated version of the text which is probably the case. That's strange though because they are able to do it with the text in One Piece but even in there some of the text is still in Japanese with English subtitles for it instead of translated text in the episode like most of the text.
One Piece they just translate the title cards, opening animation text, & location/timeskip text into English, as is their company policy. If there's signs or symbols, they generally leave the text untranslated & put the translation in the subtitles to appear when they do. Super has the same thing, I assume, & it'll most likely be fixed for the Blu-Rays & DVDs. Remember, Sabat said the dub mistake where Vegeta said he defeated Buu in English was going to be fixed for the home release. It might end up being the same case for that text.
No offense but you're simply just reiterating what I already said. I watch One Piece too so I know what they do with that

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:00 pm

Scsigs wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Or Toei has no clean version of that scene without the text to give them so they couldn't add in their translated version of the text which is probably the case. That's strange though because they are able to do it with the text in One Piece but even in there some of the text is still in Japanese with English subtitles for it instead of translated text in the episode like most of the text.
No offense but you're simply just reiterating what I already said. I watch One Piece too so I know what they do with that.
No, I explained what you said. You didn't really go into much detail about it, so I did.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Scsigs wrote: One Piece they just translate the title cards, opening animation text, & location/timeskip text into English, as is their company policy. If there's signs or symbols, they generally leave the text untranslated & put the translation in the subtitles to appear when they do. Super has the same thing, I assume, & it'll most likely be fixed for the Blu-Rays & DVDs. Remember, Sabat said the dub mistake where Vegeta said he defeated Buu in English was going to be fixed for the home release. It might end up being the same case for that text.
No offense but you're simply just reiterating what I already said. I watch One Piece too so I know what they do with that.
No, I explained what you said. You didn't really go into much detail about it, so I did.
I didn't really need to go in depth because I feel like I got my point across but ok

But anyways, Ayres is knocking out of the park as per usual