Do the Japanese fans view Super the same way westerners do?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Do the Japanese fans view Super the same way westerners do?

Post by precita » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:54 pm

I always see people say that Japan isn't as critical of Super as us "westerners" so I'm curious what is the Japanese opinion on Super?

Its easy to forget the Japanese are seeing these Super episodes for the first time the same way we are, so for the first time all around the world Dragonball is new to everyone. So what did the Japanese think of the Zamasu arc, Future Trunks, Vegito, etc?

Is the opinion generally the same across the board? Are they more forgiving of some of Super's writings than us?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do the Japanese fans view Super the same way westerners do?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:01 pm

Well, I know that some Japanese fans were pissed about the whole inconsistent line in episode 60 about how Goku never kissed Chi-Chi

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:19 pm

Sometimes out of curiosity, i watch super's videos posted by japanese fans, just to translate the comments in google, and overall, i think that they view it in the same way, there are those that love it and others that hate it.
But they may change on some things idk, that scene of Vegeta clapping in ep 24, bothered a lot of people in the comment section of the western audience but once i found that video in japanese, and it had like a lot of views and likes, and i was like : "It's just Vegeta clapping, what's so great about it?"
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:33 pm

I hope so, because it seems like Toei doesn't care at all about the westerns audience opinion.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:07 pm

Not sure about the Japanese fanbase at large but kei17 lost interest because of the trajectory the series was going in.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:36 pm

If Toei should give a darn about anything, it should be its native Japanese audience.

I wonder how they feel about Toriyama viewing his series as being more suited for kids than for older audiences.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:18 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:I hope so, because it seems like Toei doesn't care at all about the westerns audience opinion.
Well, with Super, they wouldn't have had us in mind as it likely wasn't particularly planned to have a Western release (though they could've at least hoped to localize it elsewhere, to make more money).
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Not sure about the Japanese fanbase at large but kei17 lost interest because of the trajectory the series was going in.
Is that true? He really quit the franchise? :?:
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:49 am

Anime Kitten wrote:Is that true? He really quit the franchise? :?:
Not the whole franchise, just Super.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:17 pm

I recall Kei17 talking about the 2ch thread being "full of complaints" despite newer fans still enjoying the series but that was a year ago.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:24 pm

I don't why they wouldn't. There's always going to separate portions of any given fanbase that will offer a differing opinions on a particular subject.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:22 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Well, I know that some Japanese fans were pissed about the whole inconsistent line in episode 60 about how Goku never kissed Chi-Chi
That was a Dub-ism. Only in the FUNimation dub

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:32 pm

simtek34 wrote:That was a Dub-ism. Only in the FUNimation dub
...huh? Are you saying that there's a FUNI dub of Dragon Ball Super Episode 60? That they've already dubbed it, and already mangled the translations somehow :eh: ?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Razorsaw

Post by Razorsaw » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:39 pm

The ratings are always pretty high so that's far, far more important.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:46 pm

simtek34 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Well, I know that some Japanese fans were pissed about the whole inconsistent line in episode 60 about how Goku never kissed Chi-Chi
That was a Dub-ism. Only in the FUNimation dub
Super doesn't have a dub. And even in the Japanese it's heavily implied it was a kiss. Bandai even made a figure of it. Regardless the line is still really dumb and inconsistent with manga Goku. There he flat out said he could get naked pictures of Bulma (and said she was still hot. That doesn't sound like someone who doesn't know what a kiss is and/or never had one

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:49 pm

While this is pretty off-topic, I've interpreted that line as Goku saying he's never delivered a Senzu in that manner, not that he's never kissed someone.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:55 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:While this is pretty off-topic, I've interpreted that line as Goku saying he's never delivered a Senzu in that manner, not that he's never kissed someone.
Exactly. The humour was the miscommunication between Goku and Vegeta hence why Vegeta was so quick to drop it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Does anyone know how the Japanese reacted to the last episode with Trunks timeline wiped out? Was it similar to us?