Japanese re-release DB Manga differences from the original

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DevilsAlwaysCry
Beyond Newbie

Japanese re-release DB Manga differences from the original

Post by DevilsAlwaysCry » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:35 pm

Can someone tell me what they fixed/explained better in the japanese re-release of the Dragonball manga? I heard they changed a few things (not like censored, but fixed) in the DB manga re-release.

Blastero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Blastero » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:50 pm

I've always wanted to do this.

Daizenshuu EX.

There's a site too?

Daizex.com. Check the feature section.

DevilsAlwaysCry
Beyond Newbie

Post by DevilsAlwaysCry » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:41 pm

Blastero wrote:I've always wanted to do this.

Daizenshuu EX.

There's a site too?

Daizex.com. Check the feature section.
Can't tell if thats sarcastic or not. Anyway, I did check that before I made this post. The section only covers volumes 1-4 and DB goes for 42 volumes. So does anyone have a more helpful/descriptive answer regarding volumes 5-42?

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:07 pm

Maybe this'll help.

Going to kanzentai.com, they have a side by side comparison between the tankobon releases and kanzenban.

But, from knowledge, everything was kept the same, except for color pages, and a redone volume page for Vol.5. Also, changing mis-spelled words like the "WELL COME" to "WEL COME" and adding some extra panels to Vol. 34.

DevilsAlwaysCry
Beyond Newbie

Post by DevilsAlwaysCry » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:57 pm

Saiyan wrote:Maybe this'll help.

Going to kanzentai.com, they have a side by side comparison between the tankobon releases and kanzenban.

But, from knowledge, everything was kept the same, except for color pages, and a redone volume page for Vol.5. Also, changing mis-spelled words like the "WELL COME" to "WEL COME" and adding some extra panels to Vol. 34.
Thanks, that's is what I was looking for. I heard they changed the panels at the end of DBZ.

Alucard
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Alucard » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:45 am

I think you might find these links useful:
http://www.kanzentai.com/features/manga_comp.html

http://www.daizex.com/multimedia/images ... ndex.shtml

BTW, the old release is the Tankoubon and the new release is the Kanzenban.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:54 pm

One change that sticks out to me (other than the added panels and alternate ending in vol. 34) is in vol. 6 of the original tankobon. If you look at the top panel on pg. 148, Bulma says:

"I... ii koto shite asobu... tte......... FAMIKON ja nai wa yo ne"

Loosely, this means "W... when you say 'play something... fun'......... you don't mean Famicom, do you?" (Famicom being the Japanese version of the 8-bit NES system.)

Well, for the Kanzenban (vol. 5, pg. 160), the line is changed to:
"...TEREBI GEEMU ja nai wa yo ne" (TEREBI GEEMU literally comes out as "TV games", which is what the Japanese call video games.)

I wish they hadn't changed that line - I mean, I really liked how the old version used a brand name and referred directly to Nintendo. Obviously, they changed it because Famicoms are "old-school" nowadays (after the Super Famicom, Nintendo of Japan started using "Nintendo" in their console names in place of "Famicom").
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:42 pm

There's also the date of the Cell Game, and a couple of chapter title pages (one early on, and another when Goku gets to the area near Karin Tower).

Can't think of anything else to add, right this second.

*goes to sleep*
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:48 pm

I remember reading that in the Japanese manga, Akira Toriyama called General white, "General Silver" a couple of times. But then it was fixed in the English releases of the Manga.

Edit: I'm sure they changed it in the Kanzenbans too.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:18 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:One change that sticks out to me (other than the added panels and alternate ending in vol. 34) is in vol. 6 of the original tankobon. If you look at the top panel on pg. 148, Bulma says:

"I... ii koto shite asobu... tte......... FAMIKON ja nai wa yo ne"

Loosely, this means "W... when you say 'play something... fun'......... you don't mean Famicom, do you?" (Famicom being the Japanese version of the 8-bit NES system.)

Well, for the Kanzenban (vol. 5, pg. 160), the line is changed to:
"...TEREBI GEEMU ja nai wa yo ne" (TEREBI GEEMU literally comes out as "TV games", which is what the Japanese call video games.)

I wish they hadn't changed that line - I mean, I really liked how the old version used a brand name and referred directly to Nintendo. Obviously, they changed it because Famicoms are "old-school" nowadays (after the Super Famicom, Nintendo of Japan started using "Nintendo" in their console names in place of "Famicom").
Well, Famicon (or Famicom) is short for family computer, so maybe they wanted to readers to know she was talking about video games (if for some reason the reader hadn't heard of Nintendo's Famicom)? Just a thought.