Has Dr Slump (anime and/or manga) been released in any countries outside of Japan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Has Dr Slump (anime and/or manga) been released in any countries outside of Japan?

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:31 pm

I've always found it somewhat unfortunate that Dr Slump hasn't seen much success in North America. Has it been released in any other languages besides Japanese?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Has Dr Slump (anime and/or manga) been released in any countries outside of Japan?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Absolutely. The entire manga is available in English from Viz (print and digital), and the first five movies are available from Discotek.

Looks like Carlsen did the manga in German, Glénat did the manga in French (kanzenban?!)... lots of folks got the manga at least.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Has Dr Slump (anime and/or manga) been released in any countries outside of Japan?

Post by Beek King » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:41 pm

There's a crappy Polish overdub of the anime (over the French dub, like DB and DBZ) and a cleverly translated release of the manga in Polish which much like the Viz release in regards to English changes all the names, puns et al to accomodate for the Polish language and culture.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:56 pm

France; manga and anime.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:03 pm

Harmony Gold (Barely) Dubbed the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANPQAZ6W7U

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Goku98
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goku98 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:30 pm

In Italy the manga by Star Comics and the anime by Mediaset

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:50 pm

In Spain, the anime was dubbed in several languages in the 80s (but only the first 50 episodes were dubbed in Spanish in the 2010s). The manga has had a 40-volume release, then the Kanzenban.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:59 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:The manga has had a 40-volume release, then the Kanzenban.
But... the Dr. Slump manga is originally only 18 volumes long. Did they significantly cut the number of chapters per volume?

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:19 pm

Theophrastus wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:The manga has had a 40-volume release, then the Kanzenban.
But... the Dr. Slump manga is originally only 18 volumes long. Did they significantly cut the number of chapters per volume?
Yes, every volume contained 5 chapters, if I remember it well. The format was also larger than the Tankobon.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Bianju

Post by Bianju » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:42 pm

simtek34 wrote:Harmony Gold (Barely) Dubbed the series.
DID I MISS SOMETHING!?! WHEN DID THIS LEAK?!?!

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:08 pm

All the digital volumes are actually on sale in english for 4.99 right now! And as you recall from the previous podcast, buy it from comixology!!(Amazon)

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:50 am

Latin America, the anime was aired between 1997-2001 and the manga...I have no idea :(

About Greece, I remember some guy named TheRed259 mentioned that the anime was aired there on ANT1. only 60 episodes were dubbed and are impossible to find since nobody would record them at 4:30am.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:51 am

Both Dr.Slump and New Dr.Slump were dubbed in Spanish for Latin America. The scripts were translated by Brenda Nava who was also the translator of the Dragon Ball franchise. I'm not 100% sure if the manga is available Latin Spanish, but it probably is. Maybe someone from Latin America will now.

I vaguely remember watching some episodes of Dr.Slump as kid. At the time I had no idea what is was, but somehow I knew it was related to Dragon Ball.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:36 am

That was okay, better than I had expected.

It's sad that Dr Slump isn't too famous in English-speaking countries.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:52 am

To my surprise, the anime was dubbed to Arabic. It was rather obscure and almost no one remembers it. I don't even recall if I ever caught it on TV or not. From what I could find, first it got localized names as it was usual back at the day (Arale became Rana and Senve is Samer) and the show's title was changed to "Rana's Adventures". The dub was done in Kuwait by the G.C.C. Joint Program Program Institute (GCCJPPI/مؤسسة الإنتاج البرامجي المشترك) and I do recognize the dub voice for Senbe from other dubs made by the same company. Not a lot I could find since as I said it got an obscure status here.

Sample clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZjC4YQLp0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4kcx8Ry3_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wIY4OM7L6A
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:58 am

Bianju wrote:
If my memory's right, they dubbed the first episode only.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:05 am

Bianju wrote:

Bianju

Post by Bianju » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:06 am

sangofe wrote:
Bianju wrote:
Well, I knew that, but I figured that this was lost to time like the series dub for Dragon Ball. I've never seen this before!

ciccioDM

Post by ciccioDM » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:38 pm

Italy had an old harmony gold/like dub in the 80s/90s (I don't remember exactly) for the first like 50 episodes (same thing happened with Dragon Ball).
Then, Mediaset bought the anime (dubbed by Merak, the same as our current Dragon Ball dub), and broadcasted first New Dr. Slump, then the old series.
Dynamic Italia (the same that dubbed DBZ movies in the 90s), did the same thing with some of the Dr. Slump movies, releasing them in VHS.
Unfortunately, that's the only home-video release we ever got.
Star Comics brought us the manga (+ Nakatsuru's spin off) in the 90s. Then, the Kanzenban in 2015.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Bianju wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Bianju wrote:
Well, I knew that, but I figured that this was lost to time like the series dub for Dragon Ball. I've never seen this before!
This is mostly lost, yeah. It's even rarer than HG's Dragon Ball dub. I don't know how anyone found it because it never aired on TV.

Also, thanks for the input, everyone! I'm still hoping FUNimation dubs it at some point because I feel like they could do a good adaptation like in Crayon Shin-chan.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu