DBS writer confirms Roshi isn't explicitly stronger than Tien.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

blackbewhite2k7
Not-So-Newbie

DBS writer confirms Roshi isn't explicitly stronger than Tien.

Post by blackbewhite2k7 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:18 pm

https://twitter.com/toshio916/status/861361570013511683

Just like most people suspected...Roshi was powered up by Yurin's witchcraft.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: DBS writer confirms Roshi isn't explicitly stronger than Tien.

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:21 pm

blackbewhite2k7 wrote:https://twitter.com/toshio916/status/861361570013511683

You posted something where even the person who posted it says "I think".
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

blackbewhite2k7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by blackbewhite2k7 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:22 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
blackbewhite2k7 wrote:https://twitter.com/toshio916/status/861361570013511683

You posted something where even the person who posted it says "I think".
Did you miss the "I realize that Roshi got stronger temporarily by witchcraft" in his tweet? If that same witchcraft boosted his students power (deflecting ki blasts, flying and wrecking a whole town) why couldn't it have a similar effect on Roshi?

He only speculates that Tien is stronger, but states clearly the magic boosted Roshi's power. Hence I said Roshi "isn't explicitly stronger"

If you're going to say the show states differently, that's not the only time the anime and authors word had such a disconnect (A prime example would be the official guidebook and akira toriyama (in an interview) saying that Raditz was stronger than a saibaman, but the series saying their power levels were the same)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Are people seriously bothering the writers with strength-related questions now? :lol:

blackbewhite2k7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by blackbewhite2k7 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Zephyr wrote:Are people seriously bothering the writers with strength-related questions now? :lol:
It's question regarding an aspect of the show he had no issues answering, so...why not? Given everything we know about Tenshinhan and Roshi's roles throughout later DB and DBZ, it was an elephant in the room that could use some addressing.
Last edited by blackbewhite2k7 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:38 pm

blackbewhite2k7 wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Are people seriously bothering the writers with strength-related questions now? :lol:
It's question regarding an aspect of the show he had no issues answering, so...why not?
Just look at how that particular person phrased their question. They don't actually care about the thoughts of the writer, they just want to direct their rage about the portrayal of character's strength at someone. Their response to Yoshikata's reply is dripping with condescension.

He's already had to block people over the Goku vs #17 fight. Some of the tweets directed at him have been disgusting.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

blackbewhite2k7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by blackbewhite2k7 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:43 pm

Ajay wrote:
blackbewhite2k7 wrote:
It's question regarding an aspect of the show he had no issues answering, so...why not?
Just look at how that particular person phrased their question. They don't actually care about the thoughts of the writer, they just want to direct their rage about the portrayal of character's strength at someone. Their response to Yoshikata's reply is dripping with condescension.

He's already had to block people over the Goku vs #17 fight. Some of the tweets directed at him have been disgusting.
...I'm sorry, what!? I wasn't being condescending nor malicious at all, and the tweet I linked didn't even get many replies, much less any real backlash. Some people just wanted some clarity on what seamed like a pretty big retcon.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:46 pm

blackbewhite2k7 wrote:...I'm sorry, what!? I wasn't being condescending nor malicious at all, and the tweet I linked didn't even get many replies, much less any real backlash. Some people just wanted some clarity on what seamed like a pretty big retcon.
If "The Guardain" is you and you really weren't being condescending, then I apologise, but to me, it read so much like someone going, "Yeah, well just you remember Tenshinhan obviously surpassed Roshi all the way back then, okay!"

Perhaps my bias towards this side of the fandom is clouding my judgement.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:03 pm

I just don't think it was anything worth bugging him over. The answer he gave was literally what most people seemed to have assumed anyway. The explanation was always there: Roshi's supposed to be weaker than Tenshinhan. He also can't fly. He gets a weird talisman put on him that enables him to both fly and beat Tenshinhan. I don't think anything actually has to be spelled out there.

But I have my theories on why it needed to be spelled out. I don't think people would be as desperate for explicit confirmation on this sort of stuff if they weren't viewing the anime as little more than a vehicle for delivering feats and statements to quantify; forget the jokes and character development, I need my Versus Match data!

Not saying that's what you in particular do/are doing, but it seems that the collective obsession with battle powers in a large portion of the online fandom today has seriously warped the way a lot of people seem to consume episodes and assess the writing. That's not to say that some degree of consistency in portrayals of power doesn't have some importance (obviously a character nobody thought anything of for several years/arcs should suddenly be thought very highly of with zero explanation), but I think that there's too much importance being put on explicitly confirmed data and information, in a series that doesn't really require it to work.

All that to the side, it's cool that he was willing to respond to fan questions, though!

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:16 pm

Zephyr wrote:I just don't think it was anything worth bugging him over. The answer he gave was literally what most people seemed to have assumed anyway.The explanation was always there: Roshi's supposed to be weaker than Tenshinhan. He also can't fly. He gets a weird talisman put on him that enables him to both fly and beat Tenshinhan. I don't think anything actually has to be spelled out there.
The explanation the episode gave was that it was Roshi's power when he's not holding back, that he'd been doing a lot of training in secret. I need it spelled out to me why that was said if it was, in fact, largely just the witch's power.

blackbewhite2k7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by blackbewhite2k7 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:19 pm

Zephyr wrote:I just don't think it was anything worth bugging him over. The answer he gave was literally what most people seemed to have assumed anyway. The explanation was always there: Roshi's supposed to be weaker than Tenshinhan. He also can't fly. He gets a weird talisman put on him that enables him to both fly and beat Tenshinhan. I don't think anything actually has to be spelled out there.

But I have my theories on why it needed to be spelled out. I don't think people would be as desperate for explicit confirmation on this sort of stuff if they weren't viewing the anime as little more than a vehicle for delivering feats and statements to quantify; forget the jokes and character development, I need my Versus Match data!

Not saying that's what you in particular do/are doing, but it seems that the collective obsession with battle powers in a large portion of the online fandom today has seriously warped the way a lot of people seem to consume episodes and assess the writing. That's not to say that some degree of consistency in portrayals of power doesn't have some importance (obviously a character nobody thought anything of for several years/arcs should suddenly be thought very highly of with zero explanation), but I think that there's too much importance being put on explicitly confirmed data and information, in a series that doesn't really require it to work.

All that to the side, it's cool that he was willing to respond to fan questions, though!
Gotcha. It's cool, man. I just felt this was a neat bit of info to drop given a large part of the fandom flipped out and shat on a fav character of mine for such a while after episode 89.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Simere wrote:The explanation the episode gave was that it was Roshi's power when he's not holding back, that he'd been doing a lot of training in secret. I need it spelled out to me why that was said if it was, in fact, largely just the witch's power.
I understand, but to me the "explanation" felt like little more than Goku and Ten speculating. Why that was suggested instead of them entertaining the far more plausible explanation comes back to the anime's writing in general. Remember when the anime's writing staff gave Goku Black's origin a nice grandfather paradox? Remember when Shenlong was summed a million times in what's actually a 2/3 year span? Pepperidge Farm remembers. Why did they do that? I don't know why they did that, but it's far from surprising at this point, because it's been such a consistent trend after 90+ episodes, which makes it difficult to get annoyed enough over to complain about. If pedantic in-universe is the name of your game, Super's anime is not the hill you want to die on, and vice versa. That's something this entire Sub Forum needs to find a way to understand.
blackbewhite2k7 wrote:Gotcha. It's cool, man. I just felt this was a neat bit of info to drop given a large part of the fandom flipped out and shat on a fav character of mine for such a while after episode 89.
It's definitely cool info to share, regardless of my thoughts on its relative lack of needing to have been said (not that I'm in any way displeased to have such explicit confirmation). And I'm a big Tenshinhan fan as well! I just couldn't really be bothered to complain about the Xth thing Super's botched. I can think of a million ways to make Tenshinhan a big player in both the Tournament of Power and onward, but I have no reason to believe he'll amount to much. And I'm okay with that, honestly. He had a satisfying-enough run in the manga, even if I still wish Toriyama had continued to utilize him post-Namek (beyond the odd Kikoho).

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Its funny how people are trying to discredit the writer. Lol accept Toei messed up badly. Which they always do.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:43 pm

JulianStyles wrote:Its funny how people are trying to discredit the writer. Lol accept Toei messed up badly. Which they always do.
Does this writer not work for Toei?

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:54 pm

Simere wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:Its funny how people are trying to discredit the writer. Lol accept Toei messed up badly. Which they always do.
They messed up in a sense of dialogue and not making things clear. To a smart fan the fact that Tiens students got strong enough to resist ki blast from Choutzu was proof enough the witchcraft made people stronger. Japan works in common sense. When they say Krillin is strongest Earthling they expect you to know a three eyed man in their culture is seen as mystical and godlike. Like Toriyama has said himself. Tiens Voice actor says hes not human. But fans need it spell out for them.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:44 am

JulianStyles wrote:
Simere wrote:
They messed up in a sense of dialogue and not making things clear. To a smart fan the fact that Tiens students got strong enough to resist ki blast from Choutzu was proof enough the witchcraft made people stronger. Japan works in common sense. When they say Krillin is strongest Earthling they expect you to know a three eyed man in their culture is seen as mystical and godlike. Like Toriyama has said himself. Tiens Voice actor says hes not human. But fans need it spell out for them.
Toriyama never said that Tien wasn't human. All he said that he had alien descendants and that holds true for a lot of Earthlings. Which is why the humans in Dragon Ball look the way they do.

And the episode never said that the witchcraft made Roshi stronger. Goku specifically said that this is Roshi not holding back. Nothing about him being enhanced.
Last edited by HeroR on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:47 am

How is that writer posting stuff about DBS without consent from TOEI?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:38 am

MagmonKai wrote:How is that writer posting stuff about DBS without consent from TOEI?
Toei may not have such strict guidelines, as you are implying.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:28 am

Well, dur.

I guess we could blame Goku's dialogue of "This is Master Roshi when he isn't holding back" for the confusion of the very few who truly believed Roshi had skyrocketed past Tenshinhan.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:05 am

HeroR wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:
Simere wrote:
Toriyama never said that Tien wasn't human. All he said that he had alien descendants and that holds true for a lot of Earthlings. Which is why the humans in Dragon Ball look the way they do.

And the episode never said that the witchcraft made Roshi stronger. Goku specifically said that this is Roshi not holding back. Nothing about him being enhanced.
Precisely! Furthermore, this writer must be a moron, he thinks? He should know since he is working/writing the story and involved with it.
Akyon wrote:Well, dur.

I guess we could blame Goku's dialogue of "This is Master Roshi when he isn't holding back" for the confusion of the very few who truly believed Roshi had skyrocketed past Tenshinhan.
The dialogue is explicit and clear and there isn't nothing confusing about it. Tenshinhan lost with Master Roshi and it was easy.

JulianStyles wrote:
Simere wrote:
If you believe that, just ask the writer who is stronger Kuririn or Tenshinhan, but, the poor man seems to be a little bit confused, after all he said that he thinks implying he is not sure. :D :D :D :D :D