Which of FUNimation's Name Changes Bother You the Most?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Which of FUNimation's Name Changes Bother You the Most?

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:03 am

None of them bother me really. But I do find attack names like Special Beam Cannon and Destructo Disk to be dumb sounding. I'll never get how any of us who grew up on the original Funimation Dub took those names seriously and thought they were so cool. They are like the goofiest attack names ever.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:26 am

"Frieza", "Hercule", "Bulla" and "Launch".

Out of all of them, "Frieza" is most annoying because it kills the pun behind his name. And the rest are just stupid changes made for the sake of it.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:29 am

Only Launch is "For the sake of it". "Hercule and Bulla" are censorship.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:35 am

Does anybody else just HATE ALL OF THEM!? I get annoyed by these names everywhere, especially when your friends are Faulconer-Watching Dub Fans who won't watch the Japanese version. Well at lease one of my friends uses Freeza, common sense people!

Just read Mike/VegettoEX's article from 2009! http://www.VegettoEX.com/2009/12/16/why ... s-me-nuts/

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Well, I'm gonna hope we're counting attack names too. Honestly I'm pretty neutral to the majority of the character name changes, but god damn I hate "Tri-Beam". It's not just because the total non-translation nature of it, but it just also sounds...so...dumb.

I feel pretty similar about "Power Pole". The Blue Water dub just left it as Nyoi-Bo and I think that's fine. We watched Ninja Turtles, we know what a Bo is. No need to dumb it down even more.

"Special Beam Cannon" gets an honorable mention for basically having all the same problems as "Tri-Beam", but I'm not as bothered by it because I've been so used to it for most of my life. I've always thought "Demon Drill" would be a decent, and nicely alliterative, adaptation of Makankosappo.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm glad they changed Mr. Satan's name. If they hadn't, there would be too many people losing their shit. Hell, there's enough religious people that don't allow DB as it is. Don't need more on that list. Same could be said for calling Kami God. As well as King Kai.

But Frieza for sure. That one gets me. Freeza is easier to type.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Pretty much all of FUNi's name changes bother me to some degree. Tien is probably the one that bothers the most. The i in Frieza also bothers me. Why is it there? And the way Gero is pronounced REALLY bothers me. Though it is not a name change. It is just pronounced with a weird French accent( I think it's a French accent). Why is Gero pronounced like that?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Honestly, Bulla is the only one that bothers me.
It's blatantly a censorship change that doesn't actually make any sense, and yet it's endured in the "Uncut" dubs.

Granted, I have recently made a conscious effort to switch to Boo and Freeza, as I've been focusing on the Japanese version a lot recently, but honestly, although the spelling changes there are entirely unnecessary, they don't really bother me. "Buu" actually looks pretty cool, honestly. "Frieza" is a little weird, but it doesn't really bother me at all.
I suppose "Bulma" instead of "Bloomer" is mildly irritating, but we can blame that one on Toriyama.
Changing the Crane Hermit's name to Shen, then changing Shen's name to Hero is a little annoying, but it's not something I think is worth fussing over.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I do have a question - I remember someone mentioning it once, so isn't "Buu" just as accurate as "Boo"?
Robo4900 wrote:I suppose "Bulma" instead of "Bloomer" is mildly irritating, but we can blame that one on Toriyama.
I mean, I'd say if Toriyama intended her name to be a pun on a word, you should probably call her that and not the word itself. "Bloomer" and "Bloomers" particularly irritate me just because they miss the point entirely, though "Bluma" doesn't bug me as much, probably because it still preserves the pun (albeit in a slightly different manner than "Bulma").
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:54 pm

Tuffles and Giru come to mind, both have always sounded awkward to say in serious conversation.

If we're talking about attacks then Destructo Disk is a name that hasn't aged too well. I didn't mind it so much growing up but it's one of those things that the more you think about it, the worse it becomes.

A less egregious one is the Instant Transmission. Every time I hear that it just makes me think of radio signals being sent rather than teleportation.
I feel pretty similar about "Power Pole". The Blue Water dub just left it as Nyoi-Bo and I think that's fine. We watched Ninja Turtles, we know what a Bo is. No need to dumb it down even more..
Forgot about this one. Come to think of it, Power Pole did kinda suck as a name.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:48 pm

Why even censor Bra ? Most kids will know what one is by like the age of 5, and if they dont, it's not going to effect them.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:37 am

Many Dub changes by FUNimation really bother me specially when watching Super with Official Subs, I mean what's the point of Subtitles when all they are doing is appealing to Dub fans?

"Freeza" changed to "Frieza" is unnecessary
"Tenshinhan" being changed to "Tien Shinhan" was really stupid
"Artificial Human" being changed to "Android" was actually because of Latin American dub but still in my opinion "Cyborg" was the better word
"Kame Sennin" being changed to "Master Roshi" was a mistranslation as his real name was never mentioned in the series
"Kaiō-Sama" being changed to "King Kai"
"Kaiōshin" Being changed to "Supreme Kai"
I don't know about FUNimation's Obsession with word "Kai"
"Toma" being changed to "Tora"
There are many other annoying dub terms
"Bra" being changed to "Bulla"
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokuman1993 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:53 pm

TBH, most of the Funimation name changes don't bother me as much, probably because I'm used to them. I know that Kuririn's name is Kuririn, yet I always refer to him as "Krillin" in my mind. Hell, if there was one Funimation name change I do kinda enjoy it would be "Launch." I dunno why, but I think it makes some sense considering she launches into a rage whenever she becomes her evil blond self. Plus, I think it packs more of a punch than "Lunch" (hey, that rhymes :D)

However, there are a few that do really irritate me, especially nowadays upon reading the manga....

"Tenshinhan" to "Tien Shinhan" I don't even know why they changed it that. Wouldn't it have been easier to call him "Ten" or something?

"Freeza" to "Frieza" They both sound the same, but why change the spelling? Does spelling Freeza with an I somehow make him more scary than he already is?

"Crane Hermit" to "Master Shen" Uh, wasn't there already a dude named "Shen" in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc? Hell, if Funi was going the whole "Master Roshi" thing for him, would it make more logical sense to call "Master Crane" or something? (Speaking of which, why not call Roshi "Master Turtle" or something? XD Sorry, I'll shut up now.)

That's about it for me. I mean, there's "Bra Briefs" to "Bulla Briefs", but I can't exactly explain why that is except that it ruins Bulma's family's theme naming.

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:40 pm

I always watch DB in my language, but "Hercule" bothers me a lot since I was a kid, when I used to see that on games.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:37 pm

simtek34 wrote:Does anybody else just HATE ALL OF THEM!? I get annoyed by these names everywhere, especially when your friends are Faulconer-Watching Dub Fans who won't watch the Japanese version. Well at lease one of my friends uses Freeza, common sense people!

Just read Mike/VegettoEX's article from 2009! http://www.VegettoEX.com/2009/12/16/why ... s-me-nuts/
I dont' see why other people using dub names are so bad. It's fine that you don't like to use them, but why get bent out of shape what other people say? As long as you both know who you're talking about then there's no problem.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I do have a question - I remember someone mentioning it once, so isn't "Buu" just as accurate as "Boo"?
I vaguely recall saying the name is originally 'Bu' or something so technically wouldn't Buu be more correct?

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:54 pm

FUNimation is definitely nailing it in terms of accuracy nowadays, but the one thing that is still quite annoying is that I'm still seeing "Hercule" in video games, in addition to the butchered attack translations. I mean really, in Dragon Ball Super in 2017, "Tien" is using "Tri-Beam" because of forced continuity from 20 years ago? Meh. It's only made more of an annoyance when you're somehow painted as a weeb (or worse, wrong) for using the original names/pronunciations instead of the arbitrary terminology made up by some Texans in 1995. Additionally, the U.S. is the only place with these deviations (along with the Faulconer score), so they're left in their own little echo chamber while the rest of the world scratches its head.

It's fine if you enjoy it, but to criticize others for preferring what the rest of the world enjoys is just weird.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:35 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:Many Dub changes by FUNimation really bother me specially when watching Super with Official Subs, I mean what's the point of Subtitles when all they are doing is appealing to Dub fans?

"Freeza" changed to "Frieza" is unnecessary
"Tenshinhan" being changed to "Tien Shinhan" was really stupid
"Artificial Human" being changed to "Android" was actually because of Latin American dub but still in my opinion "Cyborg" was the better word
"Kame Sennin" being changed to "Master Roshi" was a mistranslation as his real name was never mentioned in the series
"Kaiō-Sama" being changed to "King Kai"
"Kaiōshin" Being changed to "Supreme Kai"
I don't know about FUNimation's Obsession with word "Kai"
"Toma" being changed to "Tora"
There are many other annoying dub terms
"Bra" being changed to "Bulla"
I love you. LOL.

Edit: Read it better and I'm not pleased. I dont like that you blame the Latin American dub (At first I thought you liked it but read again) I think Android was a general thing for Toei and not any dubs fault in particular.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:22 am

I really do not like that the Crane Hermit is called Master Shen. It's fucking stupid and to make it even worse, there's a character called Shen in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, so they were forced to rename him into "Hero." Talk about a shit show.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:54 am

Anime Kitten wrote:Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I do have a question - I remember someone mentioning it once, so isn't "Buu" just as accurate as "Boo"?
"Buu," which I think is actually used in the Kanzenshuu style guide (?), is more defensible a romanization than "Boo," if anything.

The Japanese spelling for Boo's (ignore my preference) name is ブウ (Bu'u), which represents the elongated vowel differently than the standard spelling of the magic word in Cinderella, ブー (Buー). So, if anything, that justifies a slightly "off" rendering of the name in English. Hence "Buu," which is also a straight transliteration of the characters in his name.

Comparatively, Bobbidi and Bibbidi's names are spelled identically in Japanese to the approximations of the magic words from Cinderella, hence those spellings being preferred by Kanzenshuu as well.

"Boo" isn't really wrong in this case, though. There's a reasonable argument for either.