Transformations Guide

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:51 pm

PsyLiam wrote:(And, out of curiousity, why'd you prefer "Buu" to "Boo"?)
I'm not sure. Just how I've always written it, based on the romanization. I think "Boo" reminds me far too much of the ghosts in Super Mario Bros., as well.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:55 pm

Gary wrote:Looks like I need to brush up on my GT then.. LOL! If you guys know these things without even having to look to know which exact episode.. o_0
The only reason I knew that off the top of my head was because episode 60 just played this week on the International Channel, and (obviously :P) 59 played the week before that, so it was quite fresh in my memory ^_^ But, who am I kidding, I memorize useless facts and numbers all the time (like any good otaku! ^_-)
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:53 am

VegettoEX wrote:
PsyLiam wrote:" Trunks' "
Yeah, that's exactly what I was taught, growing up in school. Julian just recently looked it up in a modern English grammar book, and to both of our surprise, it told us that the rule is now the full word, apostrophe, and another "s" !! I'm fully against it, but hey... I do wanna be the Grammar King...
You know, I was taught "Trunks's" was the correct way at first, back in like 1st grade. The teacher said s' was only for plurals, not every word that ends in S. Every school and teacher afterwards tried to teach me otherwise, but I've always followed what I learned in 1st grade. So, if s's really is considered the correct way now...kickass.

But this is a Dragon Ball forum, not a grammar forum. ^^;;

RatGoku

Post by RatGoku » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:56 am

English makes no sense.
Hey look, it's a signature!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:14 am

I second that comment! English is such a stupid, nonsensical language at times! I always feel so sorry for people who are trying to learn it.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:49 am

Just noticed this from the Saiyan section:

"When using abbreviations, we will be using the traditional "SSJ" instead of, for example, "SS" (despite our conventions of using the spelling "Saiyan" on the site). Also, "SS" sounds far too much like the name of a ship and/or the Nazi secret police.. and well... that's just not appropriate."

I can't see how anyone would mistake a SS DBZ character with a Nazi...

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:18 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:I can't see how anyone would mistake a SS DBZ character with a Nazi...
It's not that they'd mistake it, per say... we just feel that it's not entirely appropriate. Plus, we've got a LOT of foreign (outside the USA) visitors to the site, so they might confuse it ^^;;.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:44 pm

I've been flicking through any book I can find to see if "s's" really is the correct way, but there is a shortage of books out there containing characters whose names end in "s". The closest I could get is a *ahem* Powerpuff Girls book, and that does write possessive stuff for the blond one as "Bubbles'".

Of course, this might be a US English specific rule. In which case, it should be ignored, along with all other silly American rules.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:01 pm

Found a mistake in the Boo section.
Transformation Guide wrote:MAJIN BUU (+KAIÔSHIN +KAIÔSHIN; anime-only flashback)

In an anime-only flashback during the Chibi Buu battle, the viewers are treated to a story showcasing just how the "Fat" Majin Buu came to be! When Bibidi created Majin Buu, they attacked the four Kaiôshin of the universe (the only one remaining being the one we know from our present timeline, who appeared with Kibit). Majin Buu killed one Kaiôshin, but managed to absorb two others before being sealed away by the Kaiôshin that we know! One of these Kaiôshin was a fat, jolly old man. When Buu absorbed this Kaiôshin... the "Fat" Majin Buu that is first introduced to us is formed! The fat, jolly Kaiôshin holds back some of Buu's power when absorbed, and turns him into an almost innocent, child-like monster.
In the anime, the West and North Kaioshins are killed in battle against Boo. Boo then absorbs the Southern Kaioshin because he was at least as strong as Boo. (The fat jolly kaioshin that was also absorbed was the Dai Kaioshin). Although we don't see this battle in the manga, we get an explanation like the one I gave you and a picture of the Southern Kaioshin's face. We also see this Majin Boo that you're talking about in the manga for 1 or 2 panels while he's tranforming from Super Majin Boo to Kid Boo. Seeing this form is what sparked Kaioshin's flashback. He says "That's the form boo had after abosorbing the Southern Kaioshin!" Rou Kaioshin has no clue what he's talking about so he explains the whole story of how he was originally Kid Boo, blablabla.

My points: This form is in the manga (BRIEFLY), Boo killed 2 Kaioshins (not one) and absorbed 1 Kaioshin to reach this stage, whereas your title shows he absorbed 2. I know you're talking about the Dai Kaioshin as well, but your title would therefore mean this form was Fat Majin Boo since the Dai Kaioshin was absorbed as well.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:07 pm

Thanks so much :).

I don't have that specific episode on disc, so I was relying on what I remember from fansubs until I borrowed the disc from someone. I'll fix that stuff up and start looking for the disc, again ^^.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:21 pm

I have three images of "MAJIN BUU (+KAIÔSHIN +KAIÔSHIN; anime-only flashback)" though they're not from the actual flashback itself. These images are what sparked Kaioshin's flashback in the first place. If these aren't the exact images you wanted for the guide, sorry, but I tried anyway. Please don't be angry with me father...

I hope you enjoy, and if they don't help you at all then at least there's something pretty to look at on this page. :lol:

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:38 pm

I'd like to get the images from the actual flashback, but thanks, anyway! Now at least I have a good idea of what I'm looking for. Muchly appreciated.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:52 pm

That's exactly what I was talking about. Those pics are also in the manga. Kid Boo kills 2 kaioshins and then absorbs the Southern one to become this "Beefcake Boo" in a flashback scene. This form of Boo (in the flashback) absorbs the Dai Kaioshin to become Fat Boo.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:55 pm

Just out of curiosity, if the above images AREN'T from the flashback, what prompts Buu to look like that in the normal continuity? I haven't watched most of the Buu saga (save all the "Fusion" discs that I'm using for AMV footage) in a looooong time.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:25 pm

That happens right after Vegita pulls out Fat Buu and he and Goku escape back out of his body. Buu starts spouting steam and bulking up. Vegita and Goku figure he's transforming again and they start getting really worried about how powerful he'll become. After a few minutes though, his size diminishes and Kid Buu is standing before them. Of course at first, Vegita and Goku are taken aback because he just appears to resemble a small, non-threatening-looking guy. Except that upon seeing him, Kaioshin knows he has finally reverted back to his true form, and explains it to the old Kaioshin who asks him why he is so upset. I figure his temporary bulk-up was just him in the throws of his transformation, and gaining more power.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:33 pm

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE Buu pics, never seen him like that before (I've sene most of the buildup to Buu on DVD but the rest I flat out never have seen)
-Laserkid

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:37 pm

Why does that Boo remind me of the Hulk?

Anyhoo, Hulky Boo is actually the strongest form of Boo, BTW. Unlike when Boo absorbed the Dai Kaioshin, absorbing the South Kaioshin actually increased Kid Boo's strength.

But I'm as lost as you are, EX. 00ber Boo and Kid Boo are parts of Fat Boo. Once Fat Boo was pulled out, shouldn't Super Boo have reverted to Skinny?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:53 pm

I just checked my DVD copy with the flashback scene in question, because I'm a geek with nothing better to do. How sad. Anyway, in the flashback, after Buu absorbs South Kaioshin, he does that same bulking up you see in the present, but he transforms into Super Buu, not Thin Buu. Then of course he absorbs Dai Kaioshin and becomes Fat Buu. It's actually a mystery to me where Thin Buu comes in, because he's never shown in the flashbacks. Maybe when Fat buu expelled that cloud of smoke that became Thin Buu, it was just all the evil parts of him, minus the goodness of Dai Kaioshin, but also South Kaioshin? Maybe that's what it looks like to have South Kaioshin's power, but none of his goodness? If not, I'm as perplexed as everyone else on the matter! :?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:08 pm

Skinny Boo was all the evil, like you said, plus who "took more than half of Good Boo's strength" (manga). Then he absorbed Fat Boo to become Super Boo, who was stronger than Fat Boo before he created Skinny Boo. (Sorry for saying Boo so God damned much)

Shouldn't Super Boo just have been Skinny Boo with Fat Boo's strength? I know it's for plot advancement, but Skinny Boo as a bad guy would have been cool.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:32 pm

AAAAHHHHH!!!!! Too many Buus! Too much Buu talk! Can't think anymore!!!! Head hurts! Anyway, as I stated earlier, when South Kaioshin is absorbed, you only see Super Buu, Thin/Skinny Buu is nowhere around. I know your point makes total sense to me as well Dayspring, why have him pop up out of the blue all of the sudden? My theory is it's Toriyama getting forgetful again. Tsk, very careless!