Toei deserves more respect i don't think it was easy to do the TOP

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

Toei deserves more respect i don't think it was easy to do the TOP

Post by Lujin_16 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:49 am

i mean there was a lot of new characters and fights so we thought at the beginning it would suck because of animation and maybe only 18-20 episodes..

They surprised us and have done a pretty good job with it overall :thumbup:

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Toei deserves more respect i don't think it was easy to do the TOP

Post by Helios518 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:54 am

I would've killed for 18 - 20 episodes, preferably even 30 episodes: 6 - 10 for the Pre-ToP parts, and the rest for the tournament. I could definitely say that the animation was better than expected, especially for having dozens of episodes with back to back fighting.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:06 am

I will say, if the animation and music was on par with the first three arcs, the ToP one really would be the worst arc in the franchise. But those fight sequences and the updated soundtrack made it the best in Super for me.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:52 pm

The few grandiose moments this arc had can sadly never make up for the tremendous amount of bad episodes it had, how they ****** big time with the female saiyans, how they ****** drop outs from important chars such as Krillin, Piccolo or Gohan, how they kept forgetting stuff from 20 episodes earlier making the whole thing a considerable mess with little logic as a whole on many aspects, lots of good ideas so poorly executed there was no tension etc lol

At least 17 had a fantastic development and 18 was fine too except in 131 when she really thought 17 would wish for a ******* boat like srsly lol

In terms of fireworks though, some fights were a treat.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:18 pm

They did really well with it from the production side all things considered, but I feel like it could have been better and easier for them had it been planned out better. The Tournament alone was 34 episodes long, that could have been almost halved and still got everything across. There were quite a few episodes where it felt like stuff was only ever happening in the second half, plus all the general padding caused by crowd talk, Zeno, etc. It could have easily been, say, 20-ish episodes long without having to cut any of the good stuff.

Credit to them for making it look good, having a vastly improved soundtrack and wrapping everything up neatly, but if they want to attempt an arc of this scope again, they need more over-arching direction. If Toriyama isn't going to fill that role anymore, find someone who will.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:34 pm

That's like saying they deserve a trophy for participating. Just because there were lots of new characters and fights doesn't make it good, Quality over Quantity.

The ending especially made the ToP feel pointless and makes rewatching it in the future (if I ever do) more of a chore than an excitement. It's basically a cop out of going deeper so they could just wrap up in a hilariously rushed and predictable ending.

Ending on this arc wraps super up as just mediocre anime trying to cash in on the past, which we all knew it was. So much unnecessary filler sequences, Universe 7 being the only team getting any eliminations or causing erasures to the point where I'm dying for an episode where Goku does not f***ing appear, the constant remarks by the peanut gallery which is just recycled "can he do it, omg I'm amazed" that we've heard 10 billion times to the point where it's annoying as hell, the terrible treatment of characters outside of Android 17 and somewhat Frieza, and I'm just ingoring the BS where Android 17 is somehow as strong as SSB Goku by just "training on an island", not to mention how Gohan magically acquires SSJ2 and then Ultimate in the span of a day for the sake of the plot or how the U6 saiyans do similar things. Up until the tournament began the arc was decent, despite the logical inconsistencies, but once the fights began it's like Toei stopped even trying to be consistent with their writing, hell they switched writers every episode. Despite the fact that Ultra instict is the coolest looking transformation I've seen in Dragon ball, it doesn't redeem how bad the ToP was.

Toei deserves to be ridiculed for how abysmal Super has been. The two arcs that weren't crap (U6 and Future Trunks) don't redeem what has been a colossal annoyance, but they won't care because it's selling like crazy and fans will pay anything just as long as goku is on the screen. It's really depressing considering the incredible potential dragon ball has for storytelling and they settle for mundane garbage. At this point I'm even hesitant to consider it canon, although I already kind of discount the Buu Saga since the Cell Games ending was probably the best ending Dragon ball will ever get.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:03 am

It would have been pretty easy to rewrite a lot of this crap, but I'll give credit where credit is due, every single episode of this arc was just non-stop fighting. It must have been hell on the animators and they did an amazing job on it, the best job of the entire series bar none. The story, while having a ton of dumb decisions and nonsense, was still enjoyable enough despite the glaring flaws.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:12 am

Production wise,yeah otherwise I don't think this arc should have happened this soon.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball