Why didn't Cell get his own movie?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Why didn't Cell get his own movie?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Cell's one of my favorite Z villain-y characters whom has an adorable love-hate attitude, a formidable design per transformation and the whole thing about being the perfect being really suits him. It's really a shame that Freeza always gets to be everywhere and Cell was more or less forgotten. :(

This would also give TOEI a reason to bring back Wakamoto.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why didn't Cell get his own movie?

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Cell isn't nearly as popular in Japan as Frieza. Frieza is more or less the "face" of Dragon Ball villains, basically the Joker of Dragon Ball. And his actions are the central driving force of Dragon Ball's overall narrative too. Cell's just a weird bug dude.

Cell's popularity is more of a Western thing.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:34 pm

The popular character from the Cell arc was not Cell, but Trunks. Who did get his own arc, plus two movies and another half-arc for his kid self.

From DB Forever, Cell is the least popular of the four main 'Z' arc villains:
From Weekly Jump 1993 Issue No. 12, Cell was less popular than what seemed to be one-shot joke characters at the height of his own arc:
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:38 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Cell's one of my favorite Z villain-y characters whom has an adorable love-hate attitude, a formidable design per transformation and the whole thing about being the perfect being really suits him. It's really a shame that Freeza always gets to be everywhere and Cell was more or less forgotten. :(

Clearly it's because cell had no allies , no one wanted to bring him back to life not the andriods , z squad, or the earthlings

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:23 am

They can resolve this with saying he was an artificial being who didn't had an actual soul (just like Androids 16 and 19) to cover up the fact he was the least favorite DBZ villain.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:37 am

Ssjcell wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Cell's one of my favorite Z villain-y characters whom has an adorable love-hate attitude, a formidable design per transformation and the whole thing about being the perfect being really suits him. It's really a shame that Freeza always gets to be everywhere and Cell was more or less forgotten. :(

Clearly it's because cell had no allies , no one wanted to bring him back to life not the andriods , z squad, or the earthlings
Cell Jrs miss their Dad?

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:38 am

Green_Goblin wrote:They can resolve this with saying he was an artificial being who didn't had an actual soul (just like Androids 16 and 19) to cover up the fact he was the least favorite DBZ villain.
but 16 and 19 were machines, Cell was a living organism

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:51 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:They can resolve this with saying he was an artificial being who didn't had an actual soul (just like Androids 16 and 19) to cover up the fact he was the least favorite DBZ villain.
Look at what I bolded. Resolve = excuse. It's Dragon Ball, they're not expecting kids to know that, and they don't keep on consistency.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:19 am

Green_Goblin wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Look at what I bolded. Resolve = excuse. It's Dragon Ball, they're not expecting kids to know that, and they don't keep on consistency.
And maybe you should rewatch the series because Cell highlights he's biological in series. It gets into a messy area of including clones and other life forms as not having a soul. Heck, you'd risk having Piccolo as soulless since he's a spat out clone of the original demon king.

It would be very unlikely he is

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:27 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
And maybe you should rewatch the series because Cell highlights he's biological in series. It gets into a messy area of including clones and other life forms as not having a soul. Heck, you'd risk having Piccolo as soulless since he's a spat out clone of the original demon king.

It would be very unlikely he is
Piccolo was made by BIOLOGICAL reproduction, NOT by amalgam splicing of various genomes. And as I said: it's the SUPER Era, they don't keep things highly sophisticated nor consistent, u know.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:40 pm

DB is living off of nostalgia and past glory so I think it's only a matter of time before Cell finds his way back into the story. I don't think it'll be a movie cause I don't know if he's popular enough to justify it but he could be in a Super arc once it returns or get something major in heroes like what Cooler has now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Those spots are a pain to draw, brother.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:45 pm

I had similar doubt. But hey, look at it this way

Movie baddies have bout 30 mins screen-time outta 40-50 mins film & hardly utter even few lines

Cell however had whole mfkin Arc to develop his character, seizing up every moment towards acheiving his perfection while posing as mirroring counterpart against every opponent he's faced

1. Piccolo's sneaky intelligence & sly @ GingerTown showdown

2. Veggie's boastful & arrogant nature @ Super Veggie

3. Goku's confidence & love towards battle @ FPSSJ Goku

4. SSJ2 Kid Gohan's sadistical remarks driven by sickening ego @ climatic Kamehameha struggle

Its actually pretty damn neat in the series & I think TOEI would've reduced Cell into nother Super 13 in movies lol

Even now, after watchin RoF....it still dreads me to think TOEI may "accidentally" give us Diamond Cell

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:44 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Where's the proof for this?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:30 am

Toriyama, or at least some of creative staff in Toei, don't see any storytelling or marketing mileage out of bringing Cell back to life and/or giving him his own story (again).

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:44 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Toriyama, or at least some of creative staff in Toei, don't see any storytelling or marketing mileage out of bringing Cell back to life and/or giving him his own story (again).
But Freeza got that (imo) shitty ass movie and an arc in Super remade about it? TOEI and Toriyama are lacking creativity if that's the best they can come up with.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:33 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Toriyama, or at least some of creative staff in Toei, don't see any storytelling or marketing mileage out of bringing Cell back to life and/or giving him his own story (again).
But Freeza got that (imo) shitty ass movie and an arc in Super remade about it? TOEI and Toriyama are lacking creativity if that's the best they can come up with.
And it would be creative if said movie involved Cell?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:48 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Look at the bright side, at least we're not getting a Broly movie. :wink:

In terms of Freeza, he's the original story's most popular villain so he's going to sell and attract viewers regardless of the quality. It's a shame modern DB is a bit lacking when it comes to creativity but that's not completely its fault as fans are clearly happy with it based on the sales so you can't really blame the people behind it for making what sells.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Apslup » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:14 pm

He doesn't really need a movie, I feel that his story arc was wrapped up quite nicely in the Cell Saga, along with the fact that there are other characters who are more popular than Cell who will bring in more money for Toei/Toriyama like Broly and Freeza.
mahakaishin1991 wrote: Cell Jrs miss their Dad?
The Cell Jrs are all dead lol. Cell has no friends.
Hellspawn28 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Where's the proof for this?
Well, despite there being no concrete proof to the claim that Cell is popular in the West (E.G: Popularity Polls) I have met a lot of Western Dragon Ball Fans who do say that Cell is their favorite Villain (He is my favorite DB Villain), though Freeza is generally more popular among Western Fans along with Japanese Fans (especially among more causal fans of the franchise).

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:24 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
And it would be creative if said movie involved Cell?
Probably not. Modern Dragon Ball has been rather underwhelming in terms of stories, characters, music and quality arcs/movies.

Freeza's movie could have been so much better and I was really hoping it would've been. :(