Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 82 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 82 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:16 am

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 82

バーダックVSガス
Bādakku VS Gasu
Bardock vs. Gas

-------------------------------

Release Information:

JAPAN:
Date: March 19, 2022
Publication: V-Jump, May 2022 Issue
Cost: ¥590

(V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are generally released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately.)

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: March 18, 2021 (timed to the JP midnight-on-March-19th release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free

FIRST OFFICIAL TEASE:
The "Weekly Dragon Ball News" segment posted on the Dragon Ball Official Website on 07 March 2022 featured Victory Uchida (Shueisha employee/mascot, and editor for the Dragon Ball Super manga working alongside Toyotaro and Akira Toriyama) displaying a page/panel tease for the upcoming drafts on screen, which will (tentatively) be shared on March 12.

STORYBOARDS/DRAFTS:
The first several pages of any given chapter's roughs/storyboards/drafts have been posted on the official Dragon Ball website for quite some time now (in all likelihood done in an attempt to combat piracy and control the narrative by releasing teases of specific information and context at their own discretion). The drafts for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 82 were posted on March 12 (Japan time). As these specific articles are generally removed from the website upon the chapter's formal release, archived versions of these links (such as this) are generally shared by fandom.

-------------------------------

THREAD/DISCUSSION INFORMATION

This is the "official" discussion thread for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 82. All content regarding this specific chapter would be great to include here in this thread, rather than the dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread. Posts that are specific to the individual chapter in the gigantic thread with no relevance to the larger series will be reported and/or removed.

Q: When will this thread open?

A: This thread will be opened by a Kanzenshuu moderator when the first official promotion of the respective chapter occurs. This may be when its storyboards are shared, or in some kind of formal news article leading up to that point. Please do not create a separate thread of your own to discuss this chapter.

Q: What is the history behind a [blank]-specific discussion thread?

A: We established episode-specific discussion threads beginning with Dragon Ball Kai in 2011, followed by the Dragon Ball Super television series in 2015. These episode-specific threads allowed people to discuss just that: those specific episodes, without being interrupted by other discussions regarding general production, promotion, etc. We didn't create corresponding Dragon Ball Super manga chapter threads at its debut due to the nature of its production: it was initially billed as a "comicalization" of the television series, and the first arc barely stood on its own as a unique production, rather than supplemental/incidental/disposable. We had kept the larger thread out of inertia from those earlier chapters, and have wavered for literal years over whether or not to separate them out.

Q: We've had worthwhile individual chapters since chapter five. This is absurd. Why are you just starting individual discussion threads something like six years into the manga, when the TV series had it from the start?

A: All of that is correct. Maybe we will go back and pull out threads for past chapters. Maybe we won't. We should have done this a long time ago. Better late than never. This is the plan for now on and is not currently up for discussion or reconsideration. Thank you.

Q: OK, but... so what's the point?

A: At Kanzenshuu we believe in history and preservation. It is worthwhile to future versions of ourselves and entirely new future fans to be able to dig back and find real-time reactions to specific productions (such as a specific episode or chapter). It's much easier to do this when the discussions are separated into these unique threads.

Q: When will new threads be created?

A: Threads for new/upcoming manga chapters will be created by a Kanzenshuu administrator at an appropriate point in time following the release of a previous chapter, and ahead of that next chapter's release schedule (which itself includes the official drafts/storyboards).

Q: OK, so what do you expect us to actually discuss in a chapter thread, particularly ahead of its release?

A: For some time now, Shueisha (in all likelihood to combat "leaks" and illegal piracy) has released "draft" pages of upcoming chapters in the two weeks leading up to any given chapter's release. These are official pieces of information dissemination and absolutely up for discussion. We welcome questions about where and how to legally and officially consume the manga. We do not condone nor allow the discussion or encouragement of piracy. Following a chapter's release, of course anything relating to that chapter and its contents are up for discussion in a specific thread.

Q: What kinds of "sources" can we discuss?

A: You can discuss whatever you want, so long as it lives up to the community guidelines. It is recommended that you link to / discuss actual sources of information, rather than second-hand accounts. Twitter and its users are not "sources" of information. Shueisha has its own official Dragon Ball website and weekly news broadcast on YouTube, which will in all likelihood be your actual primary sources of information leading up to a chapter's release.

Q: What if I have something to say about another chapter that's not this chapter?

A: Is what you have to say/ask/post even tangentially related to this chapter? That's fine. Does it have absolutely nothing to do with this chapter? Post it elsewhere. These chapter-specific threads do not automatically close after a new chapter comes out; you are free to keep discussing a specific chapter for as long as you all feel like talking about it.

Q: So what do we do with the big/main thread?

A: The dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread is still perfect for overall/holistic discussion regarding the manga, its production, its promotion, its content relation to other parts of the franchise, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 82 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:06 am

It might be possible this is the penultimate chapter of the arc. If chapter 83 releases on April 20th, and the movie premieres two days later, the arc and the movie might be bridged.

Although there are still several things to unveil, and two chapters -including a final round- might not be enough.

- How did Bardock beat Gas?
- Why did Bardock didn't spill the beans about the Heatas trying to screw over Freeza, even when Freeza was about to destroy them?
- The 10 questions, there might be something else there.
- The Cerelean DBs.
- Oatmeal (Toyo said it wasn't just an eye patch and that it was going to play a part).
- Freeza (this shunkanido war makes his appearence actually feasible and not forced).
- Elecc's next step of the plan.
- Elecc's wish.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:47 am

According to Mangaplus, the chapter is gonna be released on the 18th rather than the 20th. Probably because of Saiyan Day. I think that's been the case previous years too.
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:06 am It might be possible this is the penultimate chapter of the arc. If chapter 83 releases on April 20th, and the movie premieres two days later, the arc and the movie might be bridged.

Although there are still several things to unveil, and two chapters -including a final round- might not be enough.
I can't imagine the arc ending next chapter. I'm fully expecting the next arc to be a continuation of this one, meaning that a lot of questions will remain unanswered for now, but even then, I don't see a way for the current battle to end and for everything to get wrapped up (especially in a way that will incorporate DBSSH) in just two chapters, not at the pace this arc has had. I guess it'll depend a bit on how this chapter's battle goes, though.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:48 pm

Extremely hyped for this chapter. Last month was a warmup which means the battle is bound to get serious here. Maybe it's time for Ultra Instinct to make it's return and redeem itself.

Hope we get to see how Elec is doing too now that Gas isn't there to protect him. Most likely his two other siblings will do that now, maybe they even transform.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:16 pm

Alruneia wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:47 am According to Mangaplus, the chapter is gonna be released on the 18th rather than the 20th.
The May 2022 issue of V-Jump will be released on March 19th. This has nothing to do with "Saiyan Day", but rather that the 21st is the spring equinox (a public holiday), so the issue gets moved up a day, but the day before that is a Sunday, so it gets moved up a day before that.

All dates in the opening post have been adjusted accordingly.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:18 pm

Yeah, this arc probably will last until june, at this pace. I don't think this chapter will have the actual fight, it'll be about Goku holding the fort, Gas slowly getting a better grasp on the technique. The cliffhanger probably will be either Goku going silver, Oatmeal doing something, the presentation of the team up to take out Gas(Broly, Freeza, Vegeta, Granny?), or the key to defeat him (although, I don't know how or why what Bardock did could come into play now). And the big fight will start in april. In may Goku might get the upper hand, the cliffhanger is Gas getting the break every villain gets, and by june or july they finally deal with him.

I feel the Heatas will be imprisoned, at least the Macky and Oil. They have the perfect design to be captured by the Galactic Patrol. Elecc probably will be killed by Granny, and Gas should die, too. And I still wonder if the destruction of Vegeta-sei and the Heatas are related.

I don't think this arc will tie to the next one, at least not by leaving things unsolved, maybe by the crumbs, like 7-3 in this one. I hope the next arc takes place after EoZ.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:33 pm

Doesn’t look like Broly or Beerus are showing up so much for that theory. If anyone is wondering why Goku doesn’t use the silver haired form other than the accuracy dropping. It’s because he doesn’t have enough ki to transform and not enough training to maintain its accuracy. But who knows he might actually get more of his ki somehow.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:17 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:18 pm I feel the Heatas will be imprisoned, at least the Macky and Oil. They have the perfect design to be captured by the Galactic Patrol
I doubt so because this isn't a Galactic Patrol arc, even though Jaco appeared but mostly as a cameo. That's just my bet, they're either being let free or killed altogether.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:16 pm
Alruneia wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:47 am According to Mangaplus, the chapter is gonna be released on the 18th rather than the 20th.
The May 2022 issue of V-Jump will be released on March 19th. This has nothing to do with "Saiyan Day", but rather that the 21st is the spring equinox (a public holiday), so the issue gets moved up a day, but the day before that is a Sunday, so it gets moved up a day before that.

All dates in the opening post have been adjusted accordingly.
Oh, so that's just a coincidence. (I guess that makes sense considering that it would be the 19th in Japan like you say.) Fair enough.
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:18 pm Yeah, this arc probably will last until june, at this pace. I don't think this chapter will have the actual fight, it'll be about Goku holding the fort, Gas slowly getting a better grasp on the technique. The cliffhanger probably will be either Goku going silver, Oatmeal doing something, the presentation of the team up to take out Gas(Broly, Freeza, Vegeta, Granny?), or the key to defeat him (although, I don't know how or why what Bardock did could come into play now). And the big fight will start in april. In may Goku might get the upper hand, the cliffhanger is Gas getting the break every villain gets, and by june or july they finally deal with him.
This more or less sounds reasonable to me. I can totally see the chapter ending on Goku accessing silver UI, it's a cliffhanger Toyotaro could definitely pull. And then some more cliffhanger twists since the fancy form never beats the villain. I think we're much more likely to see Granolah re-enter the fight (after something important is revealed by Monaito maybe?) than we are to see Broly or Frieza show up, though.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:28 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:17 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:18 pm I feel the Heatas will be imprisoned, at least the Macky and Oil. They have the perfect design to be captured by the Galactic Patrol
I doubt so because this isn't a Galactic Patrol arc, even though Jaco appeared but mostly as a cameo. That's just my bet, they're either being let free or killed altogether.
It should be noted that the arc kickstarted after Jaco failed to do his job properly, leaving 7-3 "alive". And when they went back to check the place out, they missed the guys stealing his head. So they might be used to wrap it up properly now.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:45 pm

I'm excited for this chapter but also worried the ending might be rushed. It doesn't seem like there's enough time to end it right when the next film is released like what happened with Broly. On the other hand, the pacing seemed to have slowed down in the last few chapters maybe for it to last until April? I guess we'll find out this chapter since it'll probably announce the next one being the ending if that's the case.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:34 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:28 pm
It should be noted that the arc kickstarted after Jaco failed to do his job properly, leaving 7-3 "alive". And when they went back to check the place out, they missed the guys stealing his head. So they might be used to wrap it up properly now.
I had the same thought when Jaco cameoed last chapter. The whole arc started on a Galactic Patrol bungle, so it might feel fitting that they be brought back in at the end. Would add a little levity to what's otherwise been a quite self-serious arc too.

Re: Oatmeel: He already played a role in bringing Monaito to Granolah. Not sure why people are considering the promise that he'd "do something" unfulfilled. That comment predated that chapter.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:30 am

If Granollah and Oatmeal end the arc separated, then I want Oatmeal to end up with Jaco. I don't know, it just seems...right. I think it would work. Obviously Granollah shortened his lifespan with the wish. Why not have Oatmeal help Jaco keep a level head?

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:24 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:28 pm
It says a lot that I completely forgot about this thread. To get a sense of how fucking long this fight has been...Goku and Vegeta first fight Granolla in Chapter 72--which was released May of last year. We are nearly a year into this arc, and there hasn't really been much progression aside from the reveal that Bardock did..something to piss off Gas. I know I feel like a broken record, but I desperately need next wee's chapter to do someting different. Even if its as dumb as Broly making an appearance--at least it'll be something!

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:42 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:24 am Goku and Vegeta first fight Granolla in Chapter 72--which was released May of last year.
Are you kidding me?! It's been a year?? :shock:

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:34 pm

We have to wait until Saturday to get some clear answers but it’s not looking like anyone is gonna show up to help Goku fight Gas

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:39 pm

What if this arc doesn't take place after the new Dragonball Super hero movie? What if Super Hero is before Granolah arc? Or do you think Toyotaro can wrap up the saga before April?

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:54 pm

Miracles wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:39 pm What if this arc doesn't take place after the new Dragonball Super hero movie? What if Super Hero is before Granolah arc? Or do you think Toyotaro can wrap up the saga before April?
Not with this you see how Pan looks here

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:02 pm

KentMan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:54 pm
Miracles wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:39 pm What if this arc doesn't take place after the new Dragonball Super hero movie? What if Super Hero is before Granolah arc? Or do you think Toyotaro can wrap up the saga before April?
Not with this you see how Pan looks here
Isn't that after Moro arc? We haven't seen Pan, Trunks or Goten in Granolah's arc yet, have we?

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:15 pm

Miracles wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:02 pm Isn't that after Moro arc? We haven't seen Pan, Trunks or Goten in Granolah's arc yet, have we?
It seems that the Granolah arc follows almost directly on from the Moro arc, what with Jaco going back to retrieve 7-3's remains when he realises he probably should have done that in the first place. I doubt that in that time Trunks and Goten grew up and Pan stopped being a baby. It's possible there could have been some sort of long time skip in the arc itself, but I think it's more likely that the movie will just be set after.