Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 83 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 83 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:44 pm

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 83

バーダックVSガス2
Bādakku VS Gasu Tsū
Bardock vs. Gas 2

-------------------------------

Release Information:

JAPAN:
Date: April 21, 2022
Publication: V-Jump, June 2022 Issue
Cost: ¥590

(V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are generally released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately.)

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: April 20, 2021 (timed to the JP midnight-on-April-21st release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free

FIRST OFFICIAL TEASE:
The "Weekly Dragon Ball News" segment posted on the Dragon Ball Official Website on 11 April 2022 featured Victory Uchida (Shueisha employee/mascot, and editor for the Dragon Ball Super manga working alongside Toyotaro and Akira Toriyama) displaying a page/panel tease for the upcoming drafts on screen, which will (tentatively) be shared on April 14.

STORYBOARDS/DRAFTS:
The first several pages of any given chapter's roughs/storyboards/drafts have been posted on the official Dragon Ball website for quite some time now (in all likelihood done in an attempt to combat piracy and control the narrative by releasing teases of specific information and context at their own discretion). The drafts for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 83 were posted on April 14 (Japan time). As these specific articles are generally removed from the website upon the chapter's formal release, archived versions of these links (such as this) are generally shared by fandom.

-------------------------------

THREAD/DISCUSSION INFORMATION

This is the "official" discussion thread for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 83. All content regarding this specific chapter would be great to include here in this thread, rather than the dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread. Posts that are specific to the individual chapter in the gigantic thread with no relevance to the larger series will be reported and/or removed.

Q: When will this thread open?

A: This thread will be opened by a Kanzenshuu moderator when the first official promotion of the respective chapter occurs. This may be when its storyboards are shared, or in some kind of formal news article leading up to that point. Please do not create a separate thread of your own to discuss this chapter.

Q: What is the history behind a [blank]-specific discussion thread?

A: We established episode-specific discussion threads beginning with Dragon Ball Kai in 2011, followed by the Dragon Ball Super television series in 2015. These episode-specific threads allowed people to discuss just that: those specific episodes, without being interrupted by other discussions regarding general production, promotion, etc. We didn't create corresponding Dragon Ball Super manga chapter threads at its debut due to the nature of its production: it was initially billed as a "comicalization" of the television series, and the first arc barely stood on its own as a unique production, rather than supplemental/incidental/disposable. We had kept the larger thread out of inertia from those earlier chapters, and have wavered for literal years over whether or not to separate them out.

Q: We've had worthwhile individual chapters since chapter five. This is absurd. Why are you just starting individual discussion threads something like six years into the manga, when the TV series had it from the start?

A: All of that is correct. Maybe we will go back and pull out threads for past chapters. Maybe we won't. We should have done this a long time ago. Better late than never. This is the plan for now on and is not currently up for discussion or reconsideration. Thank you.

Q: OK, but... so what's the point?

A: At Kanzenshuu we believe in history and preservation. It is worthwhile to future versions of ourselves and entirely new future fans to be able to dig back and find real-time reactions to specific productions (such as a specific episode or chapter). It's much easier to do this when the discussions are separated into these unique threads.

Q: When will new threads be created?

A: Threads for new/upcoming manga chapters will be created by a Kanzenshuu administrator at an appropriate point in time following the release of a previous chapter, and ahead of that next chapter's release schedule (which itself includes the official drafts/storyboards).

Q: OK, so what do you expect us to actually discuss in a chapter thread, particularly ahead of its release?

A: For some time now, Shueisha (in all likelihood to combat "leaks" and illegal piracy) has released "draft" pages of upcoming chapters in the two weeks leading up to any given chapter's release. These are official pieces of information dissemination and absolutely up for discussion. We welcome questions about where and how to legally and officially consume the manga. We do not condone nor allow the discussion or encouragement of piracy. Following a chapter's release, of course anything relating to that chapter and its contents are up for discussion in a specific thread.

Q: What kinds of "sources" can we discuss?

A: You can discuss whatever you want, so long as it lives up to the community guidelines. It is recommended that you link to / discuss actual sources of information, rather than second-hand accounts. Twitter and its users are not "sources" of information. Shueisha has its own official Dragon Ball website and weekly news broadcast on YouTube, which will in all likelihood be your actual primary sources of information leading up to a chapter's release.

Q: What if I have something to say about another chapter that's not this chapter?

A: Is what you have to say/ask/post even tangentially related to this chapter? That's fine. Does it have absolutely nothing to do with this chapter? Post it elsewhere. These chapter-specific threads do not automatically close after a new chapter comes out; you are free to keep discussing a specific chapter for as long as you all feel like talking about it.

Q: So what do we do with the big/main thread?

A: The dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread is still perfect for overall/holistic discussion regarding the manga, its production, its promotion, its content relation to other parts of the franchise, etc.

Q: I want to learn more about what's going on with this manga's production!

A: Check out Episode #0489 of our podcast for an extreme deep-dive (with all the receipts you can eat!) into the production of the manga, including all of the ways that Toyotaro, Akira Toriyama, and Victory Uchida each individually contribute to it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gt91
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 83 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gt91 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:43 am

It seems to be focused on the past. Good to know. We'll finally see what happened, then we can move on the final battle.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:52 pm

Let's get it! It's time to see how Bardock beat broken necklace Gas and how this will correlate with Goku's own growth and identity.

Whis is a different life-form. So naturally he can keep himself calm to use Ultra Instinct. What are you really Goku?!

Discover your own version of UI!

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:03 pm

It would great if Goku's UI is just his base form.

I think this month's cliffhanger will be Goku activating UI, with the best fight starting in may.

Stuff still unresolved:

1) Bardock vs Gas (to be addressed now)
2) Elecc's wish (maybe next month?)
3) 10 questions for Zuno (I doubt there's anything of value there, though)
4) Cerelian DBs. Just what the hell is the deal with those?
5) Balance of the universe hasn't been shifted yet, based on the Oracle not recognizing Gas. So maybe Elecc?

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:48 pm

This is probably the last chance to place bets on how Bardock beat gas. What could it be?

1. Bardock activated his own saiyan form of proto-ultra instinct (like Roshi?)
2. Bardock outsmarted Gas in some way not related specifically to combat
3. Bardock discovered a weakness that Gas has (his horns :P ?)
4. Bardock had some other type of transformation
5. Bardock teamed up with young Granolah (could be a reasoning for him being spared + Gas's resentment: Elec sees Granolah's potential and lets them all live)
6. Bardock teamed up with someone else
7. There was nothing in particular that Bardock did to win. He just fought for his life and the people he was protecting.
8. Something else...

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:44 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:48 pm This is probably the last chance to place bets on how Bardock beat gas. What could it be?

- Not likely, it doesn't match the saiyan's and Bardock's fighting style. Gas pointed that out recently.

- I think it could be something related to this.

- It could be it, yes. Maybe losing control is something Bardock can easily exploit.

- Hopefully, not. Ikari form maybe?

5. Bardock teamed up with young Granolah (could be a reasoning for him being spared + Gas's resentment: Elec sees Granolah's potential and lets them all live)
-Unlikely, Granny is sleeping with Monaito, I doubt he'll lose him out of his sight.

- I doubt it, it doesn't seem to be a shared victory.

7. There was nothing in particular that Bardock did to win. He just fought for his life and the people he was protecting.
-I think we have a winner...

8. Something else...
- I wouldn't rule this out.
#2, #3, #7. I think it's one of those.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:34 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:44 pm 5. Bardock teamed up with young Granolah (could be a reasoning for him being spared + Gas's resentment: Elec sees Granolah's potential and lets them all live)
-Unlikely, Granny is sleeping with Monaito, I doubt he'll lose him out of his sight.
I don't think it's likely, but it's probably the one I'm leaning towards liking the most (maybe tied with there not being anything particular that he did except fight for his life). It brings Granolah back into prominence in his own arc both in the flashback and the solution (if Goku chooses to fight Gas with Granolah) and explains some more of Gas's resentment towards Granolah. I imagine something like Gas having a super specific weak spot that only Granolah can accurately hit with his sniper attacks that would leave Gas open for someone else (Bardock/Goku) to take advantage.

With all that said, what intrigues me most about just how Bardock beat Gas is that I can't really think of anything truly satisfying re: Goku utilising it in the present day... but yet it's been teased for months which makes me think it's gonna be something interesting.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:48 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:34 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:44 pm 5. Bardock teamed up with young Granolah (could be a reasoning for him being spared + Gas's resentment: Elec sees Granolah's potential and lets them all live)
I don't think it's likely, but it's probably the one I'm leaning towards liking the most (maybe tied with there not being anything particular that he did except fight for his life). It brings Granolah back into prominence in his own arc both in the flashback and the solution (if Goku chooses to fight Gas with Granolah) and explains some more of Gas's resentment towards Granolah. I imagine something like Gas having a super specific weak spot that only Granolah can accurately hit with his sniper attacks that would leave Gas open for someone else (Bardock/Goku) to take advantage.

With all that said, what intrigues me most about just how Bardock beat Gas is that I can't really think of anything truly satisfying re: Goku utilising it in the present day... but yet it's been teased for months which makes me think it's gonna be something interesting.
The issue with Granny being part of the fight is that it's just too much for the guy to not remember. They can get away with Granny not remembering who saved him, but not remembering fighting for his life with his saviour against one of his future bosses it's too much. Monaito should know this, too.

I believe it's a red herring that whatever Bardock did could come in handy now. I think, perhaps, Goku will learn from the recordings something that could make Granny's intervention needed.

Fighting for others might be more thematically appropiate for Goku to relate to Bardock, though I'm open to something we haven't thought of just yet.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:42 pm

Bardock is a man of instinct. His instinct told him that Freeza was going to attack, and it told him to save Granolah despite all of the reasons he shouldn't.

"A God of Destruction taught me that power derived purely from instinct is unbounded."

Vegeta failed to win with Wagamama because he wasn't truly following his instinct. Yes, he loves an all-out-brawl, but he "couldn't revert to the callous, unfeeling man" he used to be. His mind is certainly not always fixated on destruction like Beerus.

Whis says Goku needs to find out who he truly is. I think this means he needs to act (and thus fight) according to his whims. Goku's unique way of doing things has always resulted in things working out at the end of the day, but the story has been telling us (since the ToP and probably earlier) that he has lost his way in terms of training, fighting, transformations, etc. In other words, he needs a uniquely Goku style instead of relying on his masters. Goku loves fighting, but figuring out the God forms has been a real process of grinding and experimentation. People were upset when Goku gave Moro a senzu, but that's probably more in line with his "way" than some of the other stuff he's been doing.

TLDR; it seems Bardock's power will be derived from instinct in some way. So what does that actually mean for Goku's realization, and how will that play out against Gas? I have some half-baked ideas, but I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:36 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:03 pm It would great if Goku's UI is just his base form.
I would settle for something like Sign, with just the eyes different. As a final form, Sign is perfect

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:27 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:03 pm 3) 10 questions for Zuno (I doubt there's anything of value there, though)
Oh come on, that's my most anticipated part. You can literally ask the Omniscient person whatever you want and it wouldn't be anything of value? It would be exciting if there will be questions that go beyond the scope of this arc, like opening some forbidden gate or something.

Remember that Elec still has an important matter to do somewhere else, which we know nothing about.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:06 am

Jack Bz wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:48 pm This is probably the last chance to place bets on how Bardock beat gas. What could it be?

8. Something else...
If its 1, I"m going to laugh my ass off as this manga will have fully completed its transformation into blatant fan service. But I think if I wasn't crazy--it's gonna be a mixture 7 and 3. I was thinking just 7, but remember, Gas wants revenge on Goku for something Bardock did to him all those years ago. So he didn't just let him go because he admired Bardock's will to survive.

Considering that one of the big themes of Super (manga) has been showing technique and experience as more valuable than raw power, the sensible thing would be that Bardock's experience as a warrior gave him the tools to survive and exploit some weakness. Because I swear to god if it is "he turn super saiyan but then he forgot, lol"....

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:28 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:03 pm It would great if Goku's UI is just his base form.

I think this month's cliffhanger will be Goku activating UI, with the best fight starting in may.

Stuff still unresolved:

1) Bardock vs Gas (to be addressed now)
2) Elecc's wish (maybe next month?)
3) 10 questions for Zuno (I doubt there's anything of value there, though)
4) Cerelian DBs. Just what the hell is the deal with those?
5) Balance of the universe hasn't been shifted yet, based on the Oracle not recognizing Gas. So maybe Elecc?
I doubt the 10 questions are still relevant. Seems like they were likely a catch-all for the Heatas having any knowledge they would need moving forward—just a conveniently larger number for them to have been brought up to speed on Goku and co., the Dragon Balls, etc. Maki probably got her Grub Rolls (or macaroons, as it was changed to in the tankobon).

However Bardock beats Gas, I expect it to tie into an embrace of emotional whims—something Bardock has been quite prone to, and something that formerly marked Goku’s fighting as well, but which he’s struggled to adapt into UI. A thematically relevant lesson from Dad that goes all the way back to the first UI activation in the ToP, and Gas’ taunts about his lack of fire dovetailing with Whis’ reminders to find his own path. We’ll probably end up with a UI Goku who can embrace and derive strength from his emotions again. From the reader perspective as well, a Goku who has to strip away elements of his characterization to use his strongest techniques is a tough hurdle in continued serialization.

The nature of Elec’s wish is definitely still in play. It’s been called attention to too many times, along with the foreshadowing of a betrayal.

Calling Goku being the Oracle Fish’s prediction. (Or he was just off again—his powers are ... ambiguous at best.)

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:07 pm

I'm really wondering how Elec will act when Gas inevitably falls. I assume he has planned for Gas' failure, and might even be betting on it as part of a different plan. Will Elec toss him aside like Vegeta did to Nappa? Will he show genuine concern for his brother? If this chapter is flashback heavy, we probably won't know until the end of Chapter 84 at the soonest.

Also, while I think Seven-three has been well utilized already, I'm more open to the idea of him coming back, but mostly because he has been regenerating this whole time (which is shown to us). He'd certainly be useful for Elec, especially if he can't count on Gas anymore. I'd like to see Seven-three be used against Freeza, but I don't think this arc has room for Freeza at this point.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:37 pm

batistabus wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:07 pm Also, while I think Seven-three has been well utilized already, I'm more open to the idea of him coming back, but mostly because he has been regenerating this whole time (which is shown to us). He'd certainly be useful for Elec, especially if he can't count on Gas anymore. I'd like to see Seven-three be used against Freeza, but I don't think this arc has room for Freeza at this point.
Not sure I see the arc making room for this either, but Seven-Three could be used to copy Gas’ power and abilities without the lifespan drawback, if Elec could somehow channel that back into himself.

But maybe that would feel too redundant with a Seven-Three copy ability also factoring to the climax of the last arc?

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:14 am

batistabus wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:07 pm I'm really wondering how Elec will act when Gas inevitably falls.
I pray to all that is good that his reaction isn't "You have outlived your usefulness" or some derivative of that. That would be the most boring, most predictable, most trite revelation of Elec's true character. After all this time spent meandering, please don't let that be it.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:01 am

TKA wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:14 am
batistabus wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:07 pm I'm really wondering how Elec will act when Gas inevitably falls.
I pray to all that is good that his reaction isn't "You have outlived your usefulness" or some derivative of that. That would be the most boring, most predictable, most trite revelation of Elec's true character. After all this time spent meandering, please don't let that be it.
All the signs kinda point to that though, he just seems so nonchalant about everything going on right now its hard to imagine him actually caring about his siblings.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:16 am

TKA wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:14 am I pray to all that is good that his reaction isn't "You have outlived your usefulness" or some derivative of that. That would be the most boring, most predictable, most trite revelation of Elec's true character. After all this time spent meandering, please don't let that be it.
I agree. It's obvious that Elec manipulates Gas, but I've gotten the sense so far that it's because he "knows what's best" and still puts Heata (as a unit instead of himself as an individual) above all (as they all do). I think it'd also be more in line with modern Toriyama's storytelling approach (Broly and Paragus still care deeply for each other despite the dysfunction). Also also, Elec didn't toss Gas aside when he lost to Bardock, so there's that.
Cipher wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:37 pm But maybe that would feel too redundant with a Seven-Three copy ability also factoring to the climax of the last arc?
Right. That's why I've felt that he shouldn't and won't come back...but who knows? Hopefully he's used for something more creative if he comes back at all.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:36 pm

Yeah. I don't think he is going to be that callous, specially when the other two are still there and I doubt they are losing their lives at the hand of the good guys.

I guess after this chapter we might be able to start guessing what's the other thing Elecc has going on. It could be something along the lines of Robocop's Directive 4, preventing Gas from turn against him.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:33 pm

I suppose Seven-three could just not obey Elec's commands. Jaco says "he's just a killing machine who obeys his allies' orders", which was true for Saganbo's gang (and I guess the other OGs and Goichi), but I could see him showing a little bit of humanity and refusing.