Your experience of watching Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z/ Dragon Ball GT Dragon boxes on CRT-tv?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Your experience of watching Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z/ Dragon Ball GT Dragon boxes on CRT-tv?

Post by sangofe » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:36 am

Hey y'all, I am wondering about purchasing a CRT-tv to watch Dragon Ball Dragon Boxes on. For you guys who have done that, is it worth it? What is the viewing experience vs watching it on a modern TV?

Tamagon
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Your experience of watching Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z/ Dragon Ball GT Dragon boxes on CRT-tv?

Post by Tamagon » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:07 am

I own a CRT but I don't really see the benefits in watching Dragon Ball on it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Your experience of watching Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z/ Dragon Ball GT Dragon boxes on CRT-tv?

Post by sangofe » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:22 am

Tamagon wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:07 am I own a CRT but I don't really see the benefits in watching Dragon Ball on it.
Did you try? Won't it make pixel problems of dvds on a modern TV disappear?

Tamagon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tamagon » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:30 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:22 am
Tamagon wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:07 am I own a CRT but I don't really see the benefits in watching Dragon Ball on it.
Not recently, no. I don't own the DBoxes. I guess I should left this thread alone but I see what you're getting at now. It would hide the pixels but also make the entire image a bit fuzzier

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:40 am

Tamagon wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:30 am
Not recently, no. I don't own the DBoxes. I guess I should left this thread alone but I see what you're getting at now. It would hide the pixels but also make the entire image a bit fuzzier
Yeah, it would make the image a bit more blurred for sure. Could you try with other Dragon Ball dvds and compare?

Tamagon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tamagon » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:39 pm

I will when I feel like pulling my CRT TV out of the shed. I currently have a CRT PC in my room, which is much sharper than a CRT TV and wouldn't look much different from a modern monitor.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:05 pm

Tamagon wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:39 pm I will when I feel like pulling my CRT TV out of the shed. I currently have a CRT PC in my room, which is much sharper than a CRT TV and wouldn't look much different from a modern monitor.
How is the blue light level on a CRT computer screen?

Tamagon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tamagon » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:12 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:05 pm
Tamagon wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:39 pm I will when I feel like pulling my CRT TV out of the shed. I currently have a CRT PC in my room, which is much sharper than a CRT TV and wouldn't look much different from a modern monitor.
Less than a modern panel, though it might cause eye strain/tiredness for different reasons.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:20 am

Tamagon wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:12 pm
sangofe wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:05 pm
Less than a modern panel, though it might cause eye strain/tiredness for different reasons.

My problem is that my sleep is terribly bad after watching things late at night on modern screens. Even with blue light filters. It is very light and the quality is awful. I am very tired the next day.

Someoneimportant

Post by Someoneimportant » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:10 am

I have experience with this. I am going to tell you right now. It's not worth it. Even in the best-case scenario when I had everything set up correctly and watched the Dbox in a pitch-dark room (CRTs have bad contrast when there is any ambient light in the room) the image was still blurrier and less contrasty than it was on any flat panel when compared directly side by side.

Blue light shouldn't be a problem if you have the TV calibrated and lower the brightness, especially at night in a dark room. Lower the brightness and set your white point to a warmer tone if you haven't done so. If you are feeling tired because of the display, I can't imagine a CRT fixing that because a CRT has flicker. Which can just make you more tired.

Not to mention finding a good CRT is difficult and expensive, Most tubes out there are overvalued junk that are badly set up and need to be serviced and tuned. They drift too on a fairly regular basis so it's a constant hassle. Too much work for very little to no gain.

Frankly, you should just watch DBox on a modern TV with the mpv and the scaler set to Spline36. It will look better than what you can get on a CRT. Spline will retain detail from a standard def source is scaled up to HD or 4K resolutions by the player better than the scaler inside the TV.

A CRT won't make any problems with the Dbox disappear. We really should stop thinking of CRTs as magical displays that solve issues with even the crappies of sources. The hyperbole surrounding them has gotten out of control in recent years.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:56 am

On larger screens you'll still see them. On low quality screens tiny in size they made hide some but not all. Then there's crt flicker which can fuck with your eyes especially at night. Night mode on a modern tv would beat a crt