When did the dub switch happen on Startimes Kungfu Channel in South Africa?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

When did the dub switch happen on Startimes Kungfu Channel in South Africa?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:57 am

For anyone unaware, in 2015/2016 the Chinese dub of original Dragon Ball was aired on Startimes Kungfu in South Africa with English subtitles.

The reason why they opted to air the Chinese dub is unclear, but as StarTimes Group was formed in Beijing in 1988 it is possible they at some point acquired the rights to this dub, maybe even aired it on a channel they owned in China between 1998 and 2000, as I've heard Dragon Ball aired on many channels during that time (suggesting perhaps it was syndicated).

More curiously, as we can hear Stephanie Nadolny's Goku in this promo however it appears at some point the channel aired Funimation's dub.

Moreover, as this promo indicates the channel also aired Dragon Ball Z, which wasn't dubbed in mainland China. Was the switch to English so viewers could get used to hearing the series in that language? Was the Chinese dub of Dragon Ball only aired to test the waters airing the series in Mandarin?

Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Re: When did the dub switch happen on Startimes Kungfu Channel in South Africa?

Post by Dragon ball master » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:32 pm

You know you could just put this on the official dragon ball dub thread, right?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:40 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:32 pm You know you could just put this on the official dragon ball dub thread, right?
I've observed this behavior often where folks seem to think they "claim" a subject and other users are therefore required to post in their specific threads. That's... just not the case. Anyone can post about whatever they want, and the only stipulations made on those posts and categorization are those that the moderation team decides.

If someone wants to ask a question about a specific channel in South Africa, they're entitled to do that in their own newly-created thread -- the thread you created does not hold a monopoly on discussion.

Yes, it would be nice if folks in general on this and other forums would take a cursory look around and see if there are other current/ongoing threads that might be a good place for their question/discussion/point, but that's not relevant here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:35 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:57 am Moreover, as this promo indicates the channel also aired Dragon Ball Z, which wasn't dubbed in mainland China. Was the switch to English so viewers could get used to hearing the series in that language? Was the Chinese dub of Dragon Ball only aired to test the waters airing the series in Mandarin?
Startimes probably only licensed the first 57 episodes released on VCD (Kei mentioned that there were more Mandarin dubbed episodes aired on TV but they are currently lost media) and they were forced to switch for episode 58 onwards.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:08 am

Dragon ball master wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:32 pm You know you could just put this on the official dragon ball dub thread, right?
Yes, but why have one thread for something as broad as dubs? As VegettoEX said there's no need. Specific threads are more likely to be found on Google searches. If everything about dubs was covered in one thread it would also be overwhelming for people that don't follow it closely. Look at the Ocean Kai thread. It's overly long and bloated to the point my pal Robo4900 had to write up an infodump for anyone that wants to read all the important bits in one place.
Tian wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:35 pmStartimes probably only licensed the first 57 episodes released on VCD (Kei mentioned that there were more Mandarin dubbed episodes aired on TV but they are currently lost media) and they were forced to switch for episode 58 onwards.
Yes, all 153 episodes of original Dragon Ball were dubbed in China and I believe that they are shared in their entirety, at least among native fans. Y2_O3 would be able to help you further if you ask. It is a fair suggestion that only the first 52 episodes were aired in Mandarin though, as having a VCD release would undoubtedly make them easier to come across.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:30 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:08 am Y2_O3 would be able to help you further if you ask. It is a fair suggestion that only the first 52 episodes were aired in Mandarin though, as having a VCD release would undoubtedly make them easier to come across.
Thanks! I'll try to contact them to find out which company distributed or licensed the dub on VCD.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:21 pm

Tian wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:30 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:08 am Y2_O3 would be able to help you further if you ask. It is a fair suggestion that only the first 52 episodes were aired in Mandarin though, as having a VCD release would undoubtedly make them easier to come across.
Thanks! I'll try to contact them to find out which company distributed or licensed the dub on VCD.
Cool, if you find out the name of the home video distributor of the mainland Chinese dub do let me know.

It looks bootleg from kei17's pics, although it's interesting he says the VCD is from 1997, as most Chinese fans I've asked on Reddit and other forums are under the impression it aired on TV in the early 2000s (Y2_O3 has given the earliest broadcast year, which is 1998).

So many untold mysteries about Dragon Ball around the world.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:12 pm

Aside general, long-running animosity between Chinese lands & Japan, I wonder if there's any reason that DB in the former didn't quite take off to the same degree as it did in Europe & Latin America (where most everything got a dub, although I'm not sure about movies), if what's been said about it so far is to be believed (particularly regarding incomplete episode dubs & such).
In particular it would be interesting to know of what home video releases people in any of the Chinese parts of Asia have access to, and if they have their own subtitles.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:24 pm

Why are you guys talking about the Chinese dub in the South Africa thread? It's bad enough that people dont know how much South Africa loves Dragon Ball: A LOT. Kai in was the highest rated show for kids in the region and it had huge ratings.

EDIT: OOPS! I saw why. In the first post. Still I think someone should make a South African thread. Not me though.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:31 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:24 pmpeople dont know how much South Africa loves Dragon Ball: A LOT.
Never got a single thing from the franchise aired on their DStv (Multichoice) service in my own country though.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:41 pm

Oh you are from South Africa? AWESOME!

I saw it on Kidscreen. Top 5 kids shows in the region. I would love knowing more about it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:18 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:41 pm Oh you are from South Africa? AWESOME!
No, just from another country in that continent that basically has to depend on their service because we don't have alternatives of our own.