Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 99 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 99 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:33 pm

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 99

超覚醒!孫悟飯
Chō Kakusei! Son Gohan
Super Awakening! Son Gohan / Son Gohan's Ultimate Awakening!

-------------------------------

Release Information:

JAPAN:
Date: November 21, 2023
Publication: V-Jump, January 2024 Issue
Cost: ¥640

(V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are generally released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately.)

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: November 20, 2023 (timed to the JP midnight-on-November-21st release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free

FIRST OFFICIAL TEASE:
The "Weekly Dragon Ball News" segment posted on the Dragon Ball Official Website on 13 November 2023 featured Victory Uchida (Shueisha employee/mascot, and editor for the Dragon Ball Super manga working alongside Toyotaro and Akira Toriyama) displaying a tease for the upcoming drafts on screen, which will (tentatively) be shared on November 14.

STORYBOARDS/DRAFTS:
The first several pages of any given chapter's roughs/storyboards/drafts have been posted on the official Dragon Ball website for quite some time now (in all likelihood done in an attempt to combat piracy and control the narrative by releasing teases of specific information and context at their own discretion). The drafts for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 99 were posted on November 14 (Japan time). As these specific articles are generally removed from the website upon the chapter's formal release, archived versions of these links (such as this) are generally shared by fandom.

-------------------------------

THREAD/DISCUSSION INFORMATION

This is the "official" discussion thread for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 99. All content regarding this specific chapter would be great to include here in this thread, rather than the dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread. Posts that are specific to the individual chapter in the gigantic thread with no relevance to the larger series will be reported and/or removed.

Q: When will this thread open?

A: This thread will be opened by a Kanzenshuu moderator when the first official promotion of the respective chapter occurs. This may be when its storyboards are shared, or in some kind of formal news article leading up to that point. Please do not create a separate thread of your own to discuss this chapter.

Q: What is the history behind a [blank]-specific discussion thread?

A: We established episode-specific discussion threads beginning with Dragon Ball Kai in 2011, followed by the Dragon Ball Super television series in 2015. These episode-specific threads allowed people to discuss just that: those specific episodes, without being interrupted by other discussions regarding general production, promotion, etc. We didn't create corresponding Dragon Ball Super manga chapter threads at its debut due to the nature of its production: it was initially billed as a "comicalization" of the television series, and the first arc barely stood on its own as a unique production, rather than supplemental/incidental/disposable. We had kept the larger thread out of inertia from those earlier chapters, and have wavered for literal years over whether or not to separate them out.

Q: We've had worthwhile individual chapters since chapter five. This is absurd. Why are you just starting individual discussion threads so many years into the manga, when the TV series had it from the start?

A: All of that is correct. Maybe we will go back and pull out threads for past chapters. Maybe we won't. We should have done this a long time ago. Better late than never. This is the plan for now on and is not currently up for discussion or reconsideration. Thank you.

Q: OK, but... so what's the point?

A: At Kanzenshuu we believe in history and preservation. It is worthwhile to future versions of ourselves and entirely new future fans to be able to dig back and find real-time reactions to specific productions (such as a specific episode or chapter). It's much easier to do this when the discussions are separated into these unique threads.

Q: When will new threads be created?

A: Threads for new/upcoming manga chapters will be created by a Kanzenshuu administrator at an appropriate point in time following the release of a previous chapter, and ahead of that next chapter's release schedule (which itself includes the official drafts/storyboards).

Q: OK, so what do you expect us to actually discuss in a chapter thread, particularly ahead of its release?

A: For some time now, Shueisha (in all likelihood to combat "leaks" and illegal piracy) has released "draft" pages of upcoming chapters in the two weeks leading up to any given chapter's release. These are official pieces of information dissemination and absolutely up for discussion. We welcome questions about where and how to legally and officially consume the manga. We do not condone nor allow the discussion or encouragement of piracy. Following a chapter's release, of course anything relating to that chapter and its contents are up for discussion in a specific thread.

Q: What kinds of "sources" can we discuss?

A: You can discuss whatever you want, so long as it lives up to the community guidelines. It is recommended that you link to / discuss actual sources of information, rather than second-hand accounts. Twitter and its users are not "sources" of information. Shueisha has its own official Dragon Ball website and weekly news broadcast on YouTube, which will in all likelihood be your actual primary sources of information leading up to a chapter's release.

Q: What if I have something to say about another chapter that's not this chapter?

A: Is what you have to say/ask/post even tangentially related to this chapter? That's fine. Does it have absolutely nothing to do with this chapter? Post it elsewhere. These chapter-specific threads do not automatically close after a new chapter comes out; you are free to keep discussing a specific chapter for as long as you all feel like talking about it.

Q: So what do we do with the big/main thread?

A: The dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread is still perfect for overall/holistic discussion regarding the manga, its production, its promotion, its content relation to other parts of the franchise, etc.

Q: I want to learn more about what's going on with this manga's production!

A: Check out Episode #0489 of our podcast for an extreme deep-dive (with all the receipts you can eat!) into the production of the manga, including all of the ways that Toyotaro, Akira Toriyama, and Victory Uchida each individually contribute to it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 99 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:06 am

Let's get it. Enter Gohan Beast and Super Hero's Exit is incoming!

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:54 pm

All I want is Gohan Beast's hair going outside of his panel's frame :lol:

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:49 pm

Thank freaking goodness we're in the home stretch. Jesus Christ!
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:08 am

Ugh, FINALLY...

Though I will admit something that I brought up in the DB Daima thread sometime ago. I sincerely hope Black Frieza is FAR stronger than Beast Gohan and anything he could dish out, Special Beam Cannon included.

I don't know, I just feel like if Beast Gohan turns out to be stronger than THAT, then Black Frieza is going to be feel INCREDIBLY anti-climactic to me. Although, I guess that's even depending on whether or not the rest of the Dragon Team even gets involved in THAT mess...

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:44 am

Considering this chapter ends with the Makankosappo, then in all likelihood half of #100 will segway into the next arc.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:26 pm

As I feared the fight doesn't end this month and it seems their plan was to drag this until chapter 100 from the beginning.
Hopefully after that we have a new story to celebrate the 40th anniversary and not the manga ending.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:16 pm

Naturally someone did a side by side comparison of the panels of the full view of SS2 Gohan from the original manga and Beast from the latest chapter and boy oh boy, the visual difference on how the panels were drawn is staggering!

It’s almost like Toyotarou took 15 minutes to draw it so he can hurry off to bed.. and to a degree, I can’t blame him.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

HulkTySSJ5

Post by HulkTySSJ5 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:03 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:54 pm All I want is Gohan Beast's hair going outside of his panel's frame :lol:
So... about that:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/368402254 ... tid=Nif5oz

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:53 pm

cool happy to see this

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:09 am

I find interesting the way Toyotaro draws Gohan Beast, specially his loose hair bang, it reminds me a lot of Zamasu, and he's a Kaioshin, maybe it was on purpose? Also, loved the extra spotlight they gave to Gamma 1 here and 18# and Kuririn destroying Max's wings
Also, as I already expected, the arc will end in chapter 100, so we can wait here the same as how it was way back in the ToP's end and Moro's beginning, one arc ending and the other one starting in the same chapter.
Now imagine if there's nothing in Chapter 100 besides this arc's ending lmfao :lol:
Also the final page says something like "A Coloured Release in Celebration of Chapter 100", what does it mean? The next chapter is going to be in full colour? Or the next volume?
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:45 pm

just a reminder: The Super Hero arc started almost a year ago on December 2022.

But yes, I guess next month we'll finally get to see where DBS ends up. Do we go into the next arc, or do we go into another hiatus?

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:44 pm

This chapter could have been resolved in 4 pages. It's like they're actively trying to make me stop liking Dragon Ball. I mean, we all know they can't succeed, but...

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:54 pm

I don't really understand the hate for this retelling, as a completionist, it's nice that the manga is adapting the movie. Has it been perfect, no, but it's been fun.

I absolutely love that Gohan's transformation actually has a bit more weight. He believed Piccolo died. Also Gamma 1 saving him was neat.

Also loved how it's more of a team effort. Everyone is chipping away at him while Gohan prepared for the final blow.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:18 pm

nineko wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:44 pm This chapter could have been resolved in 4 pages. It's like they're actively trying to make me stop liking Dragon Ball. I mean, we all know they can't succeed, but...
It still really feels like Toyotaro and Toriyama are just killing time until Black Freeza can get underway. But, with Daima on the horizon now, I wonder if BF's gonna get pushed to the sidelines to cover all that.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:32 pm

Imagine if next chapter starts with Gohan missing lol
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:59 pm

LMAO! Toyotaro big brain!
The movie used Gohan turning SSJ2 for the first time scene as reference for Gohan Beast debut. Toyotaro used that AND Goku's first time turning SSJ. I laughed to be honest. :lol:

Once again the manga does better than the movie version by using every fighter (except Gotenks which can still do something in the next chapter) to help Gohan hit the target. In the movie only Piccolo is helping while the others disappeared... Here while Piccolo is holding him, Gamma 1 breaks one of his wings and Krillin/C18 break the other one. I liked it.

Next month we will know what he can expect next from the manga. Not only it will be the ending, but there's also Jump Festa.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:57 am

I really fucking hate how Gamma 1 is responsible for Piccolo surviving Cell Max's last attack but I'm not surprised, Toyo likes to shit on Piccolo. It doesn't even make sense how the shield even held on to attacks that are UI level.

While it was a nice idea to have 18 and Krillin help, it again doesn't make sense how they could break Cell max's wings that easily.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:10 am

The new additions and changes in the manga are well worth it, it makes the manga more enjoyable. Some characters got more scenes and the fights got extended.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:26 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:54 pm I don't really understand the hate for this retelling, as a completionist, it's nice that the manga is adapting the movie. Has it been perfect, no, but it's been fun
I think the hate is mostly just from people who have grown impatient over this retelling and just want to move on to the next arc already. Overall the retelling isn't adding a ton of new material to the Super Hero story and since the movie had already been released before the manga version started people are just bored because they already know how it ends.

As long as the next arc is good or at least has an interesting premise, the hate should all wash away soon enough.