When will Nozawa and Horikawa be replaced?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

When will Nozawa and Horikawa be replaced?

Post by Jord » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:40 am

First of all, I respect their work and are fan of them. That being said, we have to face facts and the quality of their voice work has been degraded, especially for Nozawa, where it's especially noticable. Her performances sound very strained, especially with younger characters. However, as seen in recent video games, such as the Sparking Zero trailer, even her adult Goku sounds like's grinding her vocal chords. Horikawa sounds a few steps worse as well.

Performances has been going down for a while now, but it's sounding bad now.
A new voice for both of these would be welcome, before things get even worse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: When will Nozawa and Horikawa be replaced?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:41 am

Probably when they die or get too old to show up tor recording

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:00 pm

Not anytime soon. Nozawa is like the DB requivalent of Peter Cullen voicing Optimus Prime. Both of them will voice the character until they choose to retire from the role or die.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:09 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:00 pm Not anytime soon. Nozawa is like the DB requivalent of Peter Cullen voicing Optimus Prime. Both of them will voice the character until they choose to retire from the role or die.
The difference is, Peter Cullen can still pull Prime off. Nozawa can't.

Daima would have been the perfect chance to replace the cast.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:30 pm

They wont be replaced until they literally cant voice act anymore. Not until YOU decide you stopped liking their performances. I didnt want to be mean but these threads are constant and in poor taste.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:15 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:30 pmI didnt want to be mean but these threads are constant and in poor taste.
Seconded, of all the things to be circular about this is up there as one of the worst of them.
Not to mention that it pretty much already has an answer so it doesn't merit repeated asking.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:17 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:30 pm They wont be replaced until they literally cant voice act anymore. Not until YOU decide you stopped liking their performances. I didnt want to be mean but these threads are constant and in poor taste.
I agree. And why does Kanzenshuu bring up Horikawa so much? At least with Nozawa there's a legitimate concern since she's almost 90, Horikawa is only 65. Nozawa is clearly beginning to sound different in the 23rd Budokai DLC (though definitely not to "Joji Yanami in Super" levels, I thought she still gave a pretty good performance), but that's almost a brand new development; she sounded entirely normal in Super in her late 70s/early 80s. Horikawa should have at least 15 strong years ahead of him.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:55 am

Jord wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:09 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:00 pm Not anytime soon. Nozawa is like the DB requivalent of Peter Cullen voicing Optimus Prime. Both of them will voice the character until they choose to retire from the role or die.
The difference is, Peter Cullen can still pull Prime off. Nozawa can't.

Daima would have been the perfect chance to replace the cast.
I highly disagree with your comment. Nozawa still pulls off Goku as good as she did back in 1986 IMO.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:08 am

Neither will be replaced unless its a Joji Yanami scenario whereby their health deteriorates to the point they're unable to perform. Masako Nozawa seems healthy for her age, although I suspect TOEI had second thoughts about continuing Super for now worrying about the strain it might put on her. Daima won't be as taxing because it will likely be a limited series, unlike a Super continuation. I also think TOEI want to honour Akira Toriyama who has said he can't separate Nozawa's voice from the character. Ryo Horikawa is quite a bit younger than Nozawa though (65 vs 87), so he will likely still be playing the role for years to come, especially as things stand now where there isn't a long running anime that would be a major commitment and thusly detrimental to his health.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:20 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:30 pm They wont be replaced until they literally cant voice act anymore. Not until YOU decide you stopped liking their performances. I didnt want to be mean but these threads are constant and in poor taste.
Toei can also choose to recast if they want, but for what i know, original author also have their words to say, Saint Seiya got a recast since Meikai hen and Elysion Hen cause Kurumada thinked that the old cast wasn't nice enough anymore

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:58 pm

Joujou wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:20 am
Toei can also choose to recast if they want, but for what i know, original author also have their words to say, Saint Seiya got a recast since Meikai hen and Elysion Hen cause Kurumada thinked that the old cast wasn't nice enough anymore
This doesnt change anything other than Toriyama being the one who decides and not you. It doesnt matter how many excuses and hearsay you share, if Toriyama doesnt want anyone replaced, they wont EVER be replaced. Period. End of Story. Joji Yanami had to be at death's door to be replaced and I know no one will be replaced until they die.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:09 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:58 pm This doesnt change anything other than Toriyama being the one who decides and not you. It doesnt matter how many excuses and hearsay you share, if Toriyama doesnt want anyone replaced, they wont EVER be replaced. Period. End of Story. Joji Yanami had to be at death's door to be replaced and I know no one will be replaced until they die.
I don't think that post was necessarily advocating for that possibility though...
Aside which there have indeed been certain cast changes here and there, such as Nappa, Zarbon, Captain Ginyu, etc, made while their respective voice actors were mostly still alive & active. They may not exactly be core characters but it does merit a mention.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:45 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:09 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:58 pm This doesnt change anything other than Toriyama being the one who decides and not you. It doesnt matter how many excuses and hearsay you share, if Toriyama doesnt want anyone replaced, they wont EVER be replaced. Period. End of Story. Joji Yanami had to be at death's door to be replaced and I know no one will be replaced until they die.
I don't think that post was necessarily advocating for that possibility though...
Aside which there have indeed been certain cast changes here and there, such as Nappa, Zarbon, Captain Ginyu, etc, made while their respective voice actors were mostly still alive & active. They may not exactly be core characters but it does merit a mention.
Okay I concede that but I think that was because they were too expensive...but rest assured, Toei will always shell out for Nozawa and Horikawa. I am not even saying this as a fanboy, they are the sole people than wont be replaced until they cant voice act anymore.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:58 am

What is in poor taste here? I'm criticizing their performance, not them personally. Whichever way you look it, Dragon Ball is a product and if parts of the product regress or fall short, there is nothing wrong with taking a critical look at it. Consumers shouldn't be blinded for it's faults, just because it's Dragon Ball. Doesn't matter whether it's animation, soundtrack, voice acting or writing.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:05 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:58 pm
Joujou wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:20 am
This doesnt change anything other than Toriyama being the one who decides and not you. It doesnt matter how many excuses and hearsay you share, if Toriyama doesnt want anyone replaced, they wont EVER be replaced. Period. End of Story. Joji Yanami had to be at death's door to be replaced and I know no one will be replaced until they die.
i didn't say that "fans" can make something like that, we don't have any power, no matter what we think, Toei will allways do what they want (even trash) but that no matter if voices actor want to stay, it's on Toei and Toriyama's hands in the first place, as long as they are ok and that Nozawa, Horikawa also want/can stay, there's no reason to a "recast"

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:58 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:58 amConsumers shouldn't be blinded for it's faults, just because it's Dragon Ball. Doesn't matter whether it's animation, soundtrack, voice acting or writing.
Whatever happens happens, just let it be instead of thinking you can effect or "will" some kind of change somehow. That's how most every other series is treated.
No one else anywhere constantly asks for one element or the other mentioned here to be replaced if it isn't to their liking.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:45 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:58 am
What is in poor taste here? I'm criticizing their performance, not them personally. Whichever way you look it, Dragon Ball is a product and if parts of the product regress or fall short, there is nothing wrong with taking a critical look at it. Consumers shouldn't be blinded for it's faults, just because it's Dragon Ball. Doesn't matter whether it's animation, soundtrack, voice acting or writing.
You are using the faults in their performances to follow Nozawa and Horikawa like a vulture and have them replaced. You can criticize anything all you want but you didnt do that, you are using the fact that they are aging and their performances have degraded to make Yet Another Thread about "how their performances arent what they used to be" and "Toei should find a replacement" soon.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:50 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:45 pm
Jord wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:58 am
You are using the faults in their performances to follow Nozawa and Horikawa like a vulture and have them replaced. You can criticize anything all you want but you didnt do that, you are using the fact that they are aging and their performances have degraded to make Yet Another Thread about "how their performances arent what they used to be" and "Toei should find a replacement" soon.
When actors have delivered a certain standard and they're slipping off to the point where it compromises the characters, yes I do think they should be recasted. Not a single actor is "above" the product. If the drawings of the manga of anime suddenly turn out worse, they will replace or fix up the drawings, like they did for some of the Blu Ray releases of DBS.
Same should go for every talent involved in the show. I don't care whether it's due to aging, smoking or any other reason. When a character sounds so strained, it's a detriment to the performance since it alters the emotion of the scene.

It's the same problem some singers have, which some solve by singing in a lower key. I don't think that will work as well in voice acting though. (Although I do think Nozawa's SSJ4 speaking voice was/is relatively easier to pull off)

Why should we continue to have worse and worse performances? Just because we like the actor? I don't think anime production is a charity.

If Totoyaro somehow broke his hand, causing his drawings to substantially worsen, should we just accept those drawings, since he's been doing it for such a long while?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:07 am

You know, people say they their performances are so compromised, as if they're so much harder to listen to than in the original run. And I find that to be greatly exaggerated. But, opinions are opinions, I guess.

Nozawa and Horikawa are clearly iconic in those roles and their replacement would cause a lot of backlash--yes it would. Some roles are too iconoc to be replaced, which is one of the reasons that reboots get put through the shredder. If it ain't broke, don't fix it and Nozawa's and Horikawa's performances are not at all broken.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:57 am

Well, yeah. Anyone that pays attention to voice actors as a dedicated hobby can tell that Nozawa Masako and Horikawa Ryou's performances have changed with age. They're slower and less sharp in their deliveries, giving the characters less nuance in dialogue scenes and power in their dynamic moments. Change is an inevitable part of time, both in how age changes one's voice and manner of speaking, but also in how the voice directing changes with different directors over time. It happened to the entire Dragon Ball cast over the decades, just as it happened to the Evangelion cast between the 1990s and the Shin Evangelion series.

Hell, it happens to you and mean, too! Change is a part of life.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf