Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 100 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 100 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:09 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:59 pm
Hugo Boss wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:16 pm I think the big surprise was actually the colored pages, not anything related to the actual plot. At least, it’s confirmed the manga will continue. Not sure what Carmine can do at this point though.
The final page of Chapter 99 spoiled these coloured pages, so that can't be consired a surprise at all, I think.
Probably that was Uchida’s own note: it even says a surprising colorful release. The man gave the tip, but none would’ve guessed it would be this amazing.

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:41 am

The surprise is that there is no surprise
she/they.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:01 am

Guys, it was an offhand comment made in a relatively obscure promotional video. If it's not in print and on multiple officials, take it with a grain of salt.

Anyway, given how conclusive and bombastically climactic this chapter was, I'm firmly in the "Chapter 101 will be the start of a new arc" camp – even if the hypothesized new arc shares elements and characters with this arc. It's just hard to see it as a continuation as such when all the major plot threads were wrapped up and everything ended just like the movie. Carmine is also in no condition to do anything yet.

But hey, it'd be pretty sick if Android 21 made her mainline series debut. Fuck it, let's go balls to the wall and have a Super Saiyan Sentai parody with all the hair colors. :lol:
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:33 pm

I'm glad this arc is over, not because I didn't enjoy it, I really did, I'm glad it's over so people can stop complaining.

I'm glad we had this retelling, it makes the manga feel more complete. They definitely enhanced a lot of elements which honestly improved on the movie. The only real nitpick I have is #18 reason to join the fight. All because Krillin was talking to his boss who was a woman.

Makes me with Toyo would finish up the Revival F and do a volume or 2 of Broly, just so the manga doesn't feel disjointed.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:43 pm

Well, 18 hating on Hedo was funny.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:11 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:33 pm I'm glad this arc is over, not because I didn't enjoy it, I really did, I'm glad it's over so people can stop complaining.

I'm glad we had this retelling, it makes the manga feel more complete. They definitely enhanced a lot of elements which honestly improved on the movie. The only real nitpick I have is #18 reason to join the fight. All because Krillin was talking to his boss who was a woman.

Makes me with Toyo would finish up the Revival F and do a volume or 2 of Broly, just so the manga doesn't feel disjointed.
People keep saying this" No it does not. A random arc that's an adaptation of a film released a year ago does not make the manga "complete." What it is is filler that has no connection what came before and likely what will come after. It is filler specifically made to be content to sell manga--that's it. It's fine if you like it, but it is what it is.

And if you're bothered by people complaining? Trust me it isn't going to get better next arc.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:04 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:33 pmThe only real nitpick I have is #18 reason to join the fight. All because Krillin was talking to his boss who was a woman.
That bother me, they always were a cool couple in my eyes, I like them in the anime and the movie, but the manga kinda ruined 18 for me, Pan, Bra and Maron better stay a kids forever if they are going to write them like this.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:54 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:11 pm
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:33 pm I'm glad this arc is over, not because I didn't enjoy it, I really did, I'm glad it's over so people can stop complaining.

People keep saying this" No it does not. A random arc that's an adaptation of a film released a year ago does not make the manga "complete." What it is is filler that has no connection what came before and likely what will come after. It is filler specifically made to be content to sell manga--that's it. It's fine if you like it, but it is what it is.

And if you're bothered by people complaining? Trust me it isn't going to get better next arc.
Ahhhh character development for Piccolo is just filler.

I don't mind complaining if it's just criticism on what they don't enjoy about an arc. But every month it was the same complaint about it feeling like filler when it really wasn't. I can understand complaints about pacing, which I do agree with. They could have easily cut this down by two or three chapters.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:27 am

Toyotarou writes like he wants to please people on Twitter. Making Goten and Trunks turn super saiyan, defuse them so the "cool" separate designs of Goten and Trunks can help defeat Cell Max. This edgelord amateur gives me so much "only watch DBZ and it should have ended at Cell saga" vibes, not saying its true, but he is not doing much to prove me wrong lol.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:51 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:27 am Toyotarou writes like he wants to please people on Twitter. Making Goten and Trunks turn super saiyan, defuse them so the "cool" separate designs of Goten and Trunks can help defeat Cell Max. This edgelord amateur gives me so much "only watch DBZ and it should have ended at Cell saga" vibes, not saying its true, but he is not doing much to prove me wrong lol.
I also thought the reference to the comedic Saiyaman from the Buu saga makes him an edgelord who thinks the series should've ended at Cell. Unlike Toriyama coming up with a new form for Gohan that references his SSJ2 against Cell and a stronger version of that saga's main villain or Toei's design for Trunks' form and Blue Evolution that looks like their SSJ grade forms last seen in the Cell saga.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:32 am

Skar wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:51 pm
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:27 am Toyotarou writes like he wants to please people on Twitter. Making Goten and Trunks turn super saiyan, defuse them so the "cool" separate designs of Goten and Trunks can help defeat Cell Max. This edgelord amateur gives me so much "only watch DBZ and it should have ended at Cell saga" vibes, not saying its true, but he is not doing much to prove me wrong lol.
I also thought the reference to the comedic Saiyaman from the Buu saga makes him an edgelord who thinks the series should've ended at Cell. Unlike Toriyama coming up with a new form for Gohan that references his SSJ2 against Cell and a stronger version of that saga's main villain or Toei's design for Trunks' form and Blue Evolution that looks like their SSJ grade forms last seen in the Cell saga.
Thanks for that, Skar. I was gonna write an angry reply but gave up cause there's enough hate in this community (everywhere actually).

You got it waaaaaaay better than I could. Poor guy has been called everything, even edgelord now.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:09 am

Skar wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:51 pm
Piccolo would have been the main character of the movie if someone did not suggest that he should used Gohan, so we don't know how the movie would have been. And we don't know if Goten and Trunks having Saiyaman customs was his or Toriyama's idea. Going by the statment of him saying that the boys have a favorite super hero movie and Toriyama designing them, it looks like it was his idea, but we can give Toyo create if you want.

It looks like you also forgot about Moro and Granolah (it's ok, i did too, very forgettable arcs), the edgy arcs were Vegeta did a YouTube apology video to the Namakians and the Cerealian (something Toriyama would never have written). If Toyo wants to write like Kishimoto and Oda, he should go and work for them, I'm sure they can use his lack of talent to something.

Don't know why you are mentioning Toei, I'm not gassing them up, i know that they are the kings of Edgy Ball Z lol.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:47 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:09 amPiccolo would have been the main character of the movie if someone did not suggest that he should used Gohan, so we don't know how the movie would have been. And we don't know if Goten and Trunks having Saiyaman customs was his or Toriyama's idea. Going by the statment of him saying that the boys have a favorite super hero movie and Toriyama designing them, it looks like it was his idea, but we can give Toyo create if you want.
It sounded like you were saying their designs were edgy. I guess you only meant them turning SSJ and helping out in the end against Cell Max. I'm not sure how the standard fan service we've been getting throughout Super of side characters returning is only edgy if Toyotaro is doing it. Other characters who returned had major power-ups while all Toyotaro did have use the same transformation they had before.
It looks like you also forgot about Moro and Granolah (it's ok, i did too, very forgettable arcs), the edgy arcs were Vegeta did a YouTube apology video to the Namakians and the Cerealian (something Toriyama would never have written). If Toyo wants to write like Kishimoto and Oda, he should go and work for them, I'm sure they can use his lack of talent to something.
Could you define "edgy" here? It's difficult to argue it's something Toriyama would never have written because there are multiple ideas in Super that no one would've predicted he would have written. If you're bringing up Kishimoto and Oda, I think Toriyama was influenced by them based on how he wrote Minus. Naruto, OP, and a few other Shonen series also had a similar reveal that the main character's parents were unique and influenced them. That seems like more of obvious example of being inspired by those authors vs Vegeta apologizing to the Nameks like he did to Gohan in the Cell and Buu sagas.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:01 pm

Goten and Trunks did not defuse in the fight with Cell Max, Gotenks was used as comedy but still effective in the fight, why chance that? That's what i mean by edgy, it's like Toyo want Dragon Ball too be more like the old movies and not the manga, and Vegeta saying sorry to Gohan because he fucked up one time is not the same as having Vegeta regret what he did in the past and having that be a focus point in TWO arcs. Who is next? Android 17 and 18? Tien? Majin Buu?, it just feels like Toyo looks at other shonens and says "i want to be deep like that". And yes, i know that Toei is shit, I'm still mad that they chance guldo time ability from how it was in the manga(it having a time limit and not him holding his breath), but atleast they make more entertaining fight scenes then Toyo imo.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:17 pm

Has it occurred to anyone that Carmine might actually be our Lex Luthor but in Dragon Ball?
I mean, think about it, if he had access to Raditz's body, as the fake leak suggests, how dangerous would he become to our heroes?
For example, imagine him creating/possessing a weapon that neutralises the S-Cells, which could potentially work like Kryptonite but for Saiyans, or making Saiyan-proof armour for himself, or upgrading himself to that level of strength and evolving further.
But still, I would suggest that Carmine will not just be wasted, and may very well become a villain we cannot imagine, perhaps threatening the gods themselves by unleashing the full horrors that the Red Ribbon could bring.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:24 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:01 pmGoten and Trunks did not defuse in the fight with Cell Max, Gotenks was used as comedy but still effective in the fight, why chance that? That's what i mean by edgy, it's like Toyo want Dragon Ball too be more like the old movies and not the manga,
Do you consider every other idea in Super that existed for fan service as edgy? They still had a relatively minor role compared to every other character that brought back for fan service with a new powerup.
and Vegeta saying sorry to Gohan because he fucked up one time is not the same as having Vegeta regret what he did in the past and having that be a focus point in TWO arcs. Who is next? Android 17 and 18? Tien? Majin Buu?, it just feels like Toyo looks at other shonens and says "i want to be deep like that". And yes, i know that Toei is shit, I'm still mad that they chance guldo time ability from how it was in the manga(it having a time limit and not him holding his breath), but atleast they make more entertaining fight scenes then Toyo imo.
It wasn't really the focus of the arc. Moro took place on New Namek so it was an opportunity for Vegeta to show some regret for the Namekians he killed that were never resurrected. Granolah was about one of the many races wiped out by the Saiyans so Vegeta brought up others he killed that also weren't resurrected. This seems specifically against Toyotaro since you don't have a problem with every other more obvious inspiration in Super from newer shonen. This one is minor in comparison since it's just Vegeta acknowledging the regret for killing innocent people and we assume he felt that way after reforming.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:54 am

Skar wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:24 pm
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:01 pmGoten and Trunks did not defuse in the fight with Cell Max, Gotenks was used as comedy but still effective in the fight, why chance that? That's what i mean by edgy, it's like Toyo want Dragon Ball too be more like the old movies and not the manga,
Do you consider every other idea in Super that existed for fan service as edgy? They still had a relatively minor role compared to every other character that brought back for fan service with a new powerup.
and Vegeta saying sorry to Gohan because he fucked up one time is not the same as having Vegeta regret what he did in the past and having that be a focus point in TWO arcs. Who is next? Android 17 and 18? Tien? Majin Buu?, it just feels like Toyo looks at other shonens and says "i want to be deep like that". And yes, i know that Toei is shit, I'm still mad that they chance guldo time ability from how it was in the manga(it having a time limit and not him holding his breath), but atleast they make more entertaining fight scenes then Toyo imo.
It wasn't really the focus of the arc. Moro took place on New Namek so it was an opportunity for Vegeta to show some regret for the Namekians he killed that were never resurrected. Granolah was about one of the many races wiped out by the Saiyans so Vegeta brought up others he killed that also weren't resurrected. This seems specifically against Toyotaro since you don't have a problem with every other more obvious inspiration in Super from newer shonen. This one is minor in comparison since it's just Vegeta acknowledging the regret for killing innocent people and we assume he felt that way after reforming.
Which i do have a problem with so i don't know why you thing i don't, but Toei is able to make up for it by being more entertaining with fights and visuals, were Toyo fails.
Toyo was the one who made Minus Bardock special with a random power up AND it was also his idea too have him show up for no reason in the arc. Toriyama's Bardock was a bum unlike Luffy and Naruto's dads who were some of the strongest in they series (we don't know about Luffy's yet, he might be a fraud lol).
We also have not seen a story that is full Toriyama (we have Minus and looks like Daima is one to) without Toei or Toyo interferens, who are the ones copying from newer shonen.
Let's be real, you would not give him the time of the day if he did not write or draw for Dragon Ball, I only care because this is like watching a sunday league player playing for your favorite team that's a top club.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:12 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:54 amit was also his idea too have him show up for no reason in the arc.
Dende forbids one of his many, many assaults to have some consequences in the future. Why would they and what are the chances, right?
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:54 amToriyama's Bardock was a bum unlike Luffy and Naruto's dads who were some of the strongest in they series
Cut to Toriyama saying he's stronger than nearly all of his race (and even specifying there were only twelve above him).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:24 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:54 amWhich i do have a problem with so i don't know why you thing i don't, but Toei is able to make up for it by being more entertaining with fights and visuals, were Toyo fails.
Toyo was the one who made Minus Bardock special with a random power up AND it was also his idea too have him show up for no reason in the arc. Toriyama's Bardock was a bum unlike Luffy and Naruto's dads who were some of the strongest in they series (we don't know about Luffy's yet, he might be a fraud lol).
We also have not seen a story that is full Toriyama (we have Minus and looks like Daima is one to) without Toei or Toyo interferens, who are the ones copying from newer shonen.
I was talking about changing Goku's backstory so that his parents were unique among Saiyans and the reason he was sent to Earth. It's a similar reveal that his parents influenced his journey and no longer a random Saiyan baby who was sent to conquer another planet. I'm not sure what else from Toei or Toyotaro was inspired by newer shonen or as obvious as that one imo. You seem more lenient towards Toriyama than anyone else involved in the series since you blamed someone else for Beast Gohan even though Toriyama agreed to use him and give him that form. If you ask a fan who doesn't know who behind these ideas which is more "edgy", I think they would say the design of Beast Gohan over Goten and Trunks helping out for a few extra panels.
Let's be real, you would not give him the time of the day if he did not write or draw for Dragon Ball, I only care because this is like watching a sunday league player playing for your favorite team that's a top club.
I mean it's the only series he's drawn. If he worked on another series or something original, I would give it a chance. If I felt the same way about it as you do for his current manga, I probably couldn't continue reading after the few chapters. I sometimes wonder how reactions would be if the anime and manga didn't exist and we just had movies then everything would have to directed towards Toriyama.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:52 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:12 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:54 amit was also his idea too have him show up for no reason in the arc.
Dende forbids one of his many, many assaults to have some consequences in the future. Why would they and what are the chances, right?
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:54 amToriyama's Bardock was a bum unlike Luffy and Naruto's dads who were some of the strongest in they series
Cut to Toriyama saying he's stronger than nearly all of his race (and even specifying there were only twelve above him).

"To be honest, I haven’t thought it through that far, but Bardock is a low-class warrior. Although even saying that, almost all [Saiyans] were low-class warriors, and there were only about 10 mid-class warriors. And when you get to the elite warriors, there’s only King Vegeta and Prince Vegeta. Bardock is in the upper ranks as far as low-class warriors go, but he isn’t able to become a mid-class warrior."

So still a bum and not one of the strongest in the series? just like i said?