Iyoku's plan expand and keep Dragon Ball popular until 2034.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Iyoku's plan expand and keep Dragon Ball popular until 2034.

Post by sangofe » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:28 am

Seems like Iyoku has succeeded to be in charge for Dragon Ball anime and video games.

Sources:
https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOUB ... d=SNSTW005
https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOUB ... d=SNSTW005

https://twitter.com/SupaChronicles/stat ... 9068358862
https://twitter.com/SupaChronicles/stat ... 18995?s=20

https://www.db-z.com/dragon-ball-strate ... kio-iyoku/

Basically Iyoku has plans to keep anime and game productions going for 10 years and not to be influenced by what's popular at the moment. Which contradicts what has happened until now, but it rhimes with Daima.

His main aim seems to wanna expand and make Dragon Ball more popular world wide.

A very good analysis can be found by Saikyo Devin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP64zZJ ... aikyoDevin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXn_uQI ... aikyoDevin

This might be an interesting period to be Dragon Ball fans (but some will probably hate it too).

Thoughts? More information? I can't wait for a podcast about this!
Last edited by sangofe on Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Iyoku's plan to keep Dragon Ball alive and kicking until 2034.

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:28 am

I'm hoping this could means we can see more short term anime projects in the near future. A new movie every few years is a given at this point, but it would be nice to see more content like spinoffs, or Daima being one of several mainline mini-series.

I suspect the Super anime hasn't returned for the same reason we've yet to see a full Dragon Ball remake. TOEI would be apprehensive about Masako Nozawa having to make any long term commitment at her age in case her health declines and they end up with another Jôji Yanami panic scenario.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:36 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:28 am I'm hoping this could means we can see more short term anime projects in the near future. A new movie every few years is a given at this point, but it would be nice to see more content like spinoffs, or Daima being one of several mainline mini-series.

I suspect the Super anime hasn't returned for the same reason we've yet to see a full Dragon Ball remake. TOEI would be apprehensive about Masako Nozawa having to make any long term commitment at her age in case her health declines and they end up with another Jôji Yanami panic scenario.
I think for sure there will several anime and game projects for the next decade.

I don't think Toei has much say anymore. From now on it seems to be Capsule Corp having the say. Having said that, it seems likely Iyoku and Toriyama would be thinking the same as you.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:44 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:28 am I'm hoping this could means we can see more short term anime projects in the near future. A new movie every few years is a given at this point, but it would be nice to see more content like spinoffs, or Daima being one of several mainline mini-series.

That would work for streaming only though. Both japanese and international TV broadcasters want longer shows for TV. Sure streaming is getting bigger and bigger but it will never fully replace custom TV programming for obvious reasons. And if they go streaming-only route then well, they're passing on a large chunk of revenue for no reason which they could easily get otherwise simply with a bigger chunk of produced episodes.

I get what you're saying about Nozawa but... I don't think that's how they operate BTS. IMO both Toei management and Nozawa herself are fully aware how old she is and especially given that she's voicing the main character and several others as well... they all work in entertainment business so they know "show must go on". Nozawa's successor has long been selected in my opinion
Last edited by Basaku on Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:56 am

Schedule.

Productions.

Properly.

And.

Pay animators better.

Thanks.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:58 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:36 am

I think for sure there will several anime and game projects for the next decade.

I don't think Toei has much say anymore. From now on it seems to be Capsule Corp having the say. Having said that, it seems likely Iyoku and Toriyama would be thinking the same as you.
Pretty sure the "Dragon Room" is the committee behind Dragon Ball. Capsule Corp was the new studio with no connection to Toei or Shueisha by that one producer who quit in protest.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:28 pm

I really dont know if I can stomach more Granolah arcs and Super Hero re-tellings for another decade. I hope that Daima is the pallet cleanser that the franchise sorely needs after the snoozefest we've been attending for the last 2-3 years.

This is the most disinterested i've been in Dragon Ball since becoming a fan back in 98/99. I didnt think I'd EVER actively tune out of a "new" storyline like I did with this latest retelling, I guess that just confirms that if pushed hard enough you can always learn new things about yourself.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:34 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:28 pm I really dont know if I can stomach more Granolah arcs and Super Hero re-tellings for another decade. I hope that Daima is the pallet cleanser that the franchise sorely needs after the snoozefest we've been attending for the last 2-3 years.

This is the most disinterested i've been in Dragon Ball since becoming a fan back in 98/99. I didnt think I'd EVER actively tune out of a "new" storyline like I did with this latest retelling, I guess that just confirms that if pushed hard enough you can always learn new things about yourself.
You could also be experiencing a franchise burnout which is totally fine too. I just don't see how a GT redux* can be a palette cleanser.

*and I will keep saying it's GT rehash until proven wrong 'cause all this talk how it's totally not because it's more like Dragon Quest/jRPG = that's exactly what early GT concept was.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:24 pm

Dragon Ball hitting the 40 year mark this year and still insanely popular as it is, another 10 isn't really a stretch and probably a given. With so many concurrent sub-projects I don't foresee another "post GT" era. If anything it will continue at a steady pace and unless global interest spontaneously dies out overnight, worst case scenario is interest slows, gradually, at a snail's pace over the next 15-20 years until it finally reaches a halt but I'm sure there will always be something going on for a long time to come. Especially ever since Kai, there's several generations at this point who will pass on their fandom to their kids as has been the case since the 80's. I always see very young kids playing Super Dragon Ball Heroes at the arcades which is quite amazing for a property that is probably usually older than their parents.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:40 pm

This is a great thing.

Despite all the money the franchise is making. it's not being well managed on all fronts.

- DBS 2 should already been announced or even been airing by now. Not have anything to capitalize DBS Broly and Super Hero success was a big mistake.

- If anything, they could have remade some DBS arcs like Champa and Zamasu arcs as TVs Specials like they do for One Piece. The production quality of those arcs were never good enough. Instead we have been having 8 minutes episodes of DB Heroes once in a while with barely any impressive animation.

- About time they realize this franchise overseas popularity and start marketing it for global audience, instead of having the outdated mindset: Japan first, then the rest.

While I don't like how they keep recycling plothreads, if this decision gives us more quality animated content then it's the best decision.

Shueisha have been clearing dragging their feet when it comes Dragon Ball animated content and it was about time someone with power did something.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:02 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:40 pm

- DBS 2 should already been announced or even been airing by now. Not have anything to capitalize DBS Broly and Super Hero success was a big mistake.
It's almost like it's not happening 😉
- If anything, they could have remade some DBS arcs like Champa and Zamasu arcs as TVs Specials like they do for One Piece. The production quality of those arcs were never good enough. Instead we have been having 8 minutes episodes of DB Heroes once in a while with barely any impressive animation.
I know almost nothing about One Piece, but if they have tv specials that retell certain arcs, I would assume they exist to make it easier to digest since it's insufferabley long. There's no reason to do that with the Champa or Zamasu arcs.

Also it absolutely amazes me how much people want retellings to happen.

Was not one of the biggest criticisms of Super besides sweat shop animation was that it wasted nearly 30 episodes retelling movies we've all already seen? Now people want Broly and Superx2 Hero to get tv retellings and you tv special retellings of story arcs we've already seen?

- About time they realize this franchise overseas popularity and start marketing it for global audience, instead of having the outdated mindset: Japan first, then the rest.
Did they not make subbed episodes for Dragon Ball Super available in North America and Europe almost immediately after they aired in Japan?

Dragon Ball Super Dee Duper Hero was released worldwide like what....3 months after it's release in Japan (meanwhile absolute crickets on Sailor Moon Cosmos worldwide release)

They're marketing it to a global audience far more than you think

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:11 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:02 pm Did they not make subbed episodes for Dragon Ball Super available in North America and Europe almost immediately after they aired in Japan?
The Dragon Ball Super television series wasn't simulcast on Crunchyroll/Daisuki until episode 66 -- that's about a year and a half from its debut in July 2015 to November 2016 that English-speaking fans had to watch fansubs if they were watching the series at all.

Likewise (and I know it's hard to remember/imagine all this stuff), but the manga likewise wasn't originally a simultaneous release. Viz initially began retroactively posting chapters from the beginning -- about a year after its release -- before they finally caught up to be day-and-date with chapter 23.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:11 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:02 pm Did they not make subbed episodes for Dragon Ball Super available in North America and Europe almost immediately after they aired in Japan?
The Dragon Ball Super television series wasn't simulcast on Crunchyroll/Daisuki until episode 66 -- that's about a year and a half from its debut in July 2015 to November 2016 that English-speaking fans had to watch fansubs if they were watching the series at all.
My mistake. Thanks for the correction.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:29 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:02 pm Also it absolutely amazes me how much people want retellings to happen.

Was not one of the biggest criticisms of Super besides sweat shop animation was that it wasted nearly 30 episodes retelling movies we've all already seen? Now people want Broly and Superx2 Hero to get tv retellings and you tv special retellings of story arcs we've already seen?
I don't "want" them because I already saw both but the truth is that in this instace Toriyama was right both from the story and business POV.

It make sense in the context of a larger, complete story era and equality between each arc, along with their products/merch/DLC potential (based on content awareness). Retelling the movies means no fragmented product line with varying license prices and distribution rights depending on a region. Super 1 delivers the full story in a single package to both the distributors and viewers. If they happen to buy/see the theatrical version as well cool. But they may very much not. Anime movies/specials are rarely on TV, often separated in streaming and may easily end up splintered across different platforms/services. Having part of the story in a movie, part in TV adds unnecesary confusion and hassle.

More importantly - the scale of a potential audience reach. Theatrical movies just do not compare in the slightest to the sheer size of TV audience, sans the absolute biggest box office hits. Yes they eventually reach home video/streaming but that pretty much removes new/accidental TV viewers from the equation

Besides, in case of a hypothetical Super 2, the retellings would be much less of an issue given that SuperHero section wouldn't even come in until after the Granolah adaptation, leaving only say, 10-12 eps of Broly at the start. Much easier to swallow for the hardcore fans pacing-wise versus 27 eps of awfully animated BOG+F that had to open Super 1 one after another.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:08 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:58 pm
sangofe wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:36 am

Pretty sure the "Dragon Room" is the committee behind Dragon Ball. Capsule Corp was the new studio with no connection to Toei or Shueisha by that one producer who quit in protest.
They simply are above and Toei has to do as Capsule Corp and Toriyama say.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Iyoku's plan expand and keep Dragon Ball popular until 2034.

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:00 am

I don't know if Capsule Corp Tokyo are independent of TOEI yet. TOEI announced Daima after all so maybe they are producing it while Capsule Corp handles the animation? They're still a new company so they might not have the resources to do everything themselves yet.

In any case the Dragon Ball Room is a department of Shueshia (which Iyoku left) so they may still be above both Capsule Corp and TOEI.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:23 am

The deal was about separating manga rights from anime & games - as in removing Sheuisha from having a say about games and anime. They retain the manga publishing/creation rights. Capsule Corp will handle the anime/games rights. Toriyama as the actual author retains the rights to work with everyone at once or no one at all, honoring any existing deals of course (ie he can't just go to a competing manga publisher tomorrow, give them DB and screw Sheuisha but he can now go directly to Capsule&Toei and create a new DB story bypassing Shueisha completly). Capsule Corp is not an animation studio so they would still be going to Toei to actually create the animated content.

In that sense Sheuisha/Dragon Room is not above Capsule Corp and can't block anime creation because they don't have a say in that regard anymore. Analogically, Capsule Corp has no say about the manga.

IMO the deal is most likely done already, but there hasn't been an official confirmation yet.

A big massive L for Shueisha but, can't say I feel bad as that's what they get for trying to maximize their own manga sales at the expense of Toei and other players involved in the Dragon Ball pie of cash. They better pray Capsule/Toei are still into adapting Moro & Granolah as, well, they don't have to beg Shueisha for that anymore and can do whatever they feel like, including a "Dragon Ball Eat Crap Shueisha" anime

EDIT: None of this applies to Daima anyway as the production started way before the rights split

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:36 am

Basaku wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:34 pm
goku the krump dancer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:28 pm I really dont know if I can stomach more Granolah arcs and Super Hero re-tellings for another decade. I hope that Daima is the pallet cleanser that the franchise sorely needs after the snoozefest we've been attending for the last 2-3 years.

You could also be experiencing a franchise burnout which is totally fine too. I just don't see how a GT redux* can be a palette cleanser.

*and I will keep saying it's GT rehash until proven wrong 'cause all this talk how it's totally not because it's more like Dragon Quest/jRPG = that's exactly what early GT concept was.
It's definitely not a burn out situation, i was just legit not interested in this retelling.

I also dont have/never had the GT hate boner that a lot of people used/seem to still have. So if it turns out to be a little like the beginning of GT i'm fine with that just so long as the character interactions are fun and interesting and the story doesn't move at a snails pace with obvious padding and actually serves a purpose in moving us into future events.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:21 am

I don't understand this situation, this guy Iyoku just got the rights of DB or something like that so he can officialy produce anime series? TOEI, Shueisha, Toriyama or whoever owns the franchise sold it to him? sounds too good to be true, on paper.

Could someone explain this to me like I'm a 9 year old?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:43 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:21 am I don't understand this situation, this guy Iyoku just got the rights of DB or something like that so he can officialy produce anime series? TOEI, Shueisha, Toriyama or whoever owns the franchise sold it to him? sounds too good to be true, on paper.

Could someone explain this to me like I'm a 9 year old?
The rights to Dragon Ball weren't sold to Iyoku. He was an editor at Shueshia, got frustrated with them holding back the anime's return (which he wanted) so he set up his own company called Capsule Corp Tokyo, which will be starting with anime and video game projects but the long term goal is for the company to become Iyoku's own Dragon Ball empire that will have control of everything.