Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 101 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 101 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by dragonballhero » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:28 pm

ssj3kakarot wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:51 pm
OhHiRenan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:52 pm This was a fun enough chapter, but Goku and Vegeta's relationships with fighting, training, and even themselves feels completely backwards. I just can't see Cell or Boo arc Goku acting the way he has throughout all of the Super Hero arc. It's doubly frustrating because Toyotaro keeps putting clear effort into growing Vegeta as a character, so to see Goku just suddenly regress and stay regressed is weird. Maybe I'm off-base here and making more of something that's not an issue, though. But Goku's characterization just feels off. Still eager to see what comes next!
You're right on the mark here. Well, that's how I see it anyways. Why is Goku, the character that was the prodigy, the one who was a low class warrior that surpassed all fighters, excelled at everything, was always 1 step ahead, always was a fighting genius, always picked up on the little things, is now always behind the 8-ball on everything. The only explanation is that they need to make him dumb in order to make others shine. Like you said, regress and stay regressed.
To be totally honest, I feel like Toyotaro is a HUGE Vegeta fanboy. Like, it legit always feels he goes out of his way to give Vegeta some serious shine whenever he can, which isn't BAD, but it feels like he PURPOSELY does all of this at Goku's expense, making him look like such a clown.

Heck, even if the 'realm of the gods' is meant to be a whole new avenue for Goku to experience, Toyotaro makes Goku come off as TOO "rookie-like", making mistakes that he should have long since learned from, even before meeting Beerus and Whis, yet VEGETA suddenly becomes such a "star pupil"? No way there isn't SOME bias here.

For real though, has no one else ever noticed this?
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:58 pm A big issue is that an editor's job is to keep the franchise going as long as possible. As a result, a lot of decisions that get made are super conservative. Stories and characters are a little less about doing something creatively exciting and a little more about doing something that will keep the money coming in. JUMP is especially big on this philosophy.
Yet another reason why I feel like Toriyama had Gohan relinquish the lead role back to his dad. Unlike Goku, Gohan had a more 'clearly defined' end goal of sorts (becoming a scholar), and from there... well, given how DB is a battle manga, having someone who isn't all that big on the hobby probably WOULDN'T have worked out in the long run.

Meanwhile, Roshi's (and Beerus's) quote of "There's always going to be someone stronger than you" probably resonates beautifully with someone who LIVES for the thrill of combat (i.e. Goku and Vegeta).
TKA wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:56 pm Co-signed.

It's just not very Dragonball to have a wise, reasoned, good-natured character who infallibly acts in everyone else's interest.

There's a reason gods in Dragonball are just middle managers and businessmen. They're people, and they have all the flaws that that entails. The characters who are infallible and good are explicitly kept away from influencing events in the plot—the angels.

Goku is a bumbling idiot who is good at one thing: fighting. He is a fighting savant. The other characters are in the story to make sure his love of fighting and pushing himself ultimately works out in the end. There's a reason why every arc the side characters are the ones running around gathering dragonballs and coming up with plans in the background while Goku is the one doing the fighting.

The wizened elder who does things for the good of everyone just isn't this character. And that's fine.
Mr Baggins wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:46 pm Or when he straight lies to everyone about being unable to immediately stop Vegeta or Boo. Or when he threatens the Supreme Kai just to settle the score with Vegeta. Or when he ostensibly "passes the torch" only because being some messianic superhero was never among his personal priorities. Or when he literally offers up Videl and Bulma to Elder Kai for a bribe. Or when he fucks off with Oob and ditches his whole family to invest in his new trainee just because he found the idea of fighting him exciting.

Just about everything Goku does in the Boo arc is motivated by self-interest or severe social apathy, and I haven't even touched upon shit like the Cell arc. How is this even a debate? What, do you think the author also lies when he mentions Goku's toxicity in interviews?

More importantly, this wise, ultra mature version of the character the #NotMyGoku crowd keeps advocating for just doesn't sound all that fun or interesting to me. Firstly, these are often the same folks that took Goku's "mentor" front from the end of the manga at face value because they fundamentally misunderstood his reason for doing that to begin with. Secondly, Goku is a vastly more enjoyable character when he's falling backwards, yet somehow making it work out in the end; contrast that with Vegeta, who is always moving forward from a maturity standpoint and playing the straight man to his rival's goofball antics, and you have a pretty colorful dynamic going on.

Dragon Ball Super isn't just the story of Goku, it's the story of Goku and Vegeta. Obviously they're going to write him in a way that plays to their relationship while extending the 'poison' we see from his characterization in DB's latter half. That's totally fine. That's a better alternative to self-seriously turning Dragon Ball's tone into something it's definitely not.

The only point made here that I'm willing to concede on is the meditation stuff from Super Hero.
Basaku wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:59 am True and characters like that most of the time work in supporting/mentor roles best anyway. But at the same time, is it very Dragonball to have a bumbling, mentally challenged cretin who never learns anything in the lead role? Because that's not the character we had in the franchise's original, main run.

We had a character who started as a naive, straightforward and not-worldy kid gradually growing physically AND also becoming a more rounded person too. It doesn't mean that he became infallible or that he lost all of his naive/reckless traits by the end of Z. But they were naturally diminished with time and experience through various events and battles he went through. Goku did grow and Toriyama wasn't even nuanced about this, he was straight out HAMMERING some of these points and lessons Goku went through to the audience. I mean, no wonder since a big part of the audience was kids instead of adults so obviously some points had to be stated more directly, this wasn't a primetime adult drama.

Saying that Super-Goku is fine and consistent with the franchise's past is rewriting history to me. Especially when the literal passage of time and character growth were big part of its original appeal, both with Goku and then Gohan. This "fixture'd", perpetual world-state we're in now, stuck in the same time period for a decade and with little-to-none character development is a modern incarnation of the franchise. Whether it's better or not is a different discussion, but there are significant differences between this and the way the franchise was developed originally.
Ngl, all of this right here is part of why I think Toriyama dropped the idea of having Gohan as the lead going forward. Like, I'm pretty sure Toriyama's made it clear that he's not a fan of writing for "goody two-shoes" characters and the like, and... Gohan DOES kind of fits the bill. He probably thought it'd be far too jarring to write Gohan as the self-serving type (like his dad) out of nowhere too, so changing him so suddenly was definitely out of the question.

Goku on the other hand? His self-serving attitude has actually gotten the ball rolling for the story. Frankly, this is all why I much prefer Goku being DB's lead, but that said? I definitely DON'T appreciate how Super's been treating him, especially with someone who's most likely a big Vegeta fan writing him to be some clown who looks like a total rookie over lessons he's long since learned.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:08 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:28 pm To be totally honest, I feel like Toyotaro is a HUGE Vegeta fanboy. Like, it legit always feels he goes out of his way to give Vegeta some serious shine whenever he can, which isn't BAD, but it feels like he PURPOSELY does all of this at Goku's expense, making him look like such a clown.

Heck, even if the 'realm of the gods' is meant to be a whole new avenue for Goku to experience, Toyotaro makes Goku come off as TOO "rookie-like", making mistakes that he should have long since learned from, even before meeting Beerus and Whis, yet VEGETA suddenly becomes such a "star pupil"? No way there isn't SOME bias here.

For real though, has no one else ever noticed this?
I've seen it being pointed out a lot that Toyotaro is a Vegeta fanboy here and there.

What I find funny is that Toyotaro's attempts at kissing Vegeta's ass may make him look more incompetent, since he keeps getting some exclusive power or skill (Switching between SSG and Blue to save stamina in Black's arc, some random new Blue evolution in ToP, learned teleporting, better ki control and how remove someone else's ki from the opponent's body in Moro's arc, and UE in Granola's arc), but since he always loses and may most likely forget the new power on the next arc, he looks like a dumbass still lol.

Either way it's unfortunately not just him who makes Goku come across as a bumbling moron for the sake of making Vegeta look better, since, as it was pointed out a few times, Toriyama did the same thing in Super Hero...

And again as I pointed out, it's not just Vegeta, since as far back as RoF Goku kinda came across as an amateur so Whis looks better, though at least Goku dropping his guard as a weakness works better there since Goku does have a habit of dropping his guard when he thinks a battle is over is a constant flaw he never overcame (Thought he won against Piccolo in the 23rd tournament and wasn't ready for Piccolo's blast that pierced his chest. Twice he tried to leave the fight against Freeza and only narrowed dodged one of Freeza's discs. Thought Vegeta was done fighting in Buu saga and got knocked out by an attack on the back of his head), but aside from that, the brief teaching lessons are just Whis telling Goku stuff and Goku never really feels like he's already experienced in combat.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:15 pm

People are talk about Goku being a huge fan of meditation in the manga when most of his training was physical and that's how he got strong, so that's why he was questioning Vegeta, Whis was also talking about using meditation too get stronger, which again, Goku has never done, he uses meditation to control his ki that he gets form physical training. Vegeta did not even prove him wrong because he barely won lol.

Btw, keeping your energy in reserve and then attack and keeping your body and spirit RELAXED in a fight until you can attack is not the same. One is about throwing one strong attack, the other is about how to fight effectively. But i guess Toriyama can only do wrong?

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:30 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:28 pmTo be totally honest, I feel like Toyotaro is a HUGE Vegeta fanboy.
Lukmendes wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:08 pmI've seen it being pointed out a lot that Toyotaro is a Vegeta fanboy here and there.
Fanboying is in the Eye of the Beholder. All the same, Toyotarou has gone on record, more than once (09:56-10:51), telling us that Son Goku is his favourite character (06:22-07:20).

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:01 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:15 pm
People are talk about Goku being a huge fan of meditation in the manga when most of his training was physical and that's how he got strong, so that's why he was questioning Vegeta, Whis was also talking about using meditation too get stronger, which again, Goku has never done, he uses meditation to control his ki that he gets form physical training. Vegeta did not even prove him wrong because he barely won lol.

Btw, keeping your energy in reserve and then attack and keeping your body and spirit RELAXED in a fight until you can attack is not the same. One is about throwing one strong attack, the other is about how to fight effectively. But i guess Toriyama can only do wrong?
Someone else can see the difference, well done.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:34 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:15 pm People are talk about Goku being a huge fan of meditation in the manga when most of his training was physical and that's how he got strong, so that's why he was questioning Vegeta,
No he was questioning Vegeta because he has no idea what mediation is, he thought Vegeta was just lazing around.

Meanwhile this is Android saga Goku's reaction to seeing Vegeta reflecting:

If you can't see the issue you're just being willfully obtuse.
Whis was also talking about using meditation too get stronger, which again, Goku has never done, he uses meditation to control his ki that he gets form physical training.
No, watch the scene again. Whis complements Vegeta on reflecting, analysing and understanding Jiren's fighting style. Something Goku is portrayed as being too stupid to understand or even think of doing.

In Super Hero Goku never thought to understand Jiren's fighting style... the same Goku known for mimicry and stealing techniques from others, it never occurred to him to copy Jiren at all.
Vegeta did not even prove him wrong because he barely won lol.
It's implied Vegeta only recently implemented meditation into his training regimen... so that's not surprising.
Btw, keeping your energy in reserve and then attack and keeping your body and spirit RELAXED in a fight until you can attack is not the same. One is about throwing one strong attack, the other is about how to fight effectively.
It's pretty much the same thing but Vegeta's description just has more flowery language attached to it.
Vegeta even describes energy conservation as a benefit to Jiren's fighting style

But i guess Toriyama can only do wrong?
No, I just call out his terrible writing when it clearly makes itself apparent. I prefer not to make things up and do mental gymnastics to cover for him.

Honest question, if this dialogue is as flawless as you claim, why was it changed in the manga adaptation?

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:52 am

That's your interpretation of that scene, mine is different, what i see is Goku questening Vegeta way of getting stronger by sitting on a rock. which makes sense because Goku in Toriyama's canon is stronger then Vegeta with ultra instinct so it makes no sense why he was just sitting they when Goku and Broly was training. You need to look at the context.

And it's not the same, reserving your energy is so you can do a strong attack latter on in the fight. Fighting with a relax mind and body is so you can fight better and it also conserve enegry because your not overexerting yourself like Vegeta said.

Goku only copies techniques not fighting styles. And he has no reason or motivation to understand Jiren's fighting style when he just beat him with his one. And i don't thing that dialoge is flawless, it's clearly not because you and me have different interpretation of it, unless Toriyama comes out and talk about what he was thinking when writting that scene, which let's be real, is never gonna happen because that scene at the end of the day is not important and is never gonna get referenced again.

And your asking a Toyo hater why he chance something in the manga? Mate, because he is a Kanzenshuu member writing a official Dragon Ball manga that why (no offence to the people that write fanfic on here, just saying lol), he also made Trunks and Goten Power Rangers and Super Saiyans for no reason, maybe to get more likes on Twitter and look like one of the cool writers?, i don't know why he chance things
from the movie lol. It can't be because he has a record of being a good writing and storyteller, we know that much.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:56 am

Hey, folks:

Just a general reminder that this is specifically a discussion thread for chapter 101 of the Dragon Ball Super manga. Obviously there is a worthwhile crossover in discussion topics considering the content of this chapter, but please be wary of straying too far off course. You are more than welcome to either contribute to another, separate, elsewhere-located, ongoing discussion thread if the topics fits... or you can create a new one!

Thank you!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:35 am

I know we're somewhat veering off-topic here, but I feel compelled to at least respond to this point that relates to some of what we've seen from this chapter and more broadly the manga in general:
dragonballhero wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:28 pm To be totally honest, I feel like Toyotaro is a HUGE Vegeta fanboy. Like, it legit always feels he goes out of his way to give Vegeta some serious shine whenever he can, which isn't BAD, but it feels like he PURPOSELY does all of this at Goku's expense, making him look like such a clown.
That's a silly position to take.

Nobody's skewing the characters purely out of favoritism, least of all Toyotaro, who works directly with Toriyama and has been crystal clear in the past that he's committed to composing the story as closely as possible to how Toriyama would have envisioned it. If there's one thing I think the Super manga nearly always gets right, even when I'm not a fan of whatever it's doing narratively at that moment, it is its absolute commitment to making the characters feel like themselves. The anime, in contrast, almost never got this right with pretty much any of the cast.

The main issue with Super Hero's meditation line is that it's so misaligned with how Goku trains that if you're mildly familiar with Dragon Ball or even just Dragon Ball Super, you're immediately forced to gloss over it. It was so OOC that even its faithful-to-a-fault manga adaptation changed it, which at least shows the series is not above correcting itself as needed.

However, I have no problem with any of these scenes propping up Vegeta at Goku's expense. That's very much in character. In Toriyama's original series, their dynamic reached its culmination during the final battle with Boo, where it was Vegeta being the thoughtful strategist that rallied their allies together and it was Goku that came up with a self-reliant tactic that went nowhere. That's in stark contrast to where these two were at in the Cell arc. That's clear progression on both counts, but progression isn't always positive.

It's what I like to call a classic role-reversal. While Vegeta the villain gradually becomes a better person throughout the series, Goku the hero gradually becomes more self-serving and reckless. It's natural to expect that trajectory to go even further in Super, since Super is what puts their duality as protagonists front and center. This is implicitly by design.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:58 pm

This was also included in the printed Jump magazine, more Black Freeza hyping.

https://twitter.com/TooRealUnreal/statu ... 1239560602

I mean, I would be really surprised if they they still went ahead with some other story/arc and the Black Freeza resolution didn't happen or another 2 years or something. Narratively the time to do it is now, even if the arc actually has Freeza dying in the first chapter and then the plot switching to something else because of that. Otherwise it's gonna lose all its novelty and story impact. It's already been 2 years since BF debuted actually

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:29 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:30 pm
dragonballhero wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:28 pmTo be totally honest, I feel like Toyotaro is a HUGE Vegeta fanboy.
Lukmendes wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:08 pmI've seen it being pointed out a lot that Toyotaro is a Vegeta fanboy here and there.
Fanboying is in the Eye of the Beholder. All the same, Toyotarou has gone on record, more than once (09:56-10:51), telling us that Son Goku is his favourite character (06:22-07:20).
He's just trying to have a cake and eat it too. It feels forced and out of place, that's why people say he's Vegeta's fanboy.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:32 pm

Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:58 pm This was also included in the printed Jump magazine, more Black Freeza hyping.

This is being taken out of context for this discussion, and isn't even from the current (March 2024) issue... it's from last month's (February 2024) issue, the one with chapter 100.

It's a tiny little portion of a two-page spread (which actually continues onto the next two pages for a four-page feature column) going over all the special techniques and fights and such. It's no more "Black Freeza hype" than it is "Moro hype" or "Granolla hype". It's just Hashtag Magazine Content.

(Special thanks to Moro for helping to hold down the pages!)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:43 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:32 pm Snip
Thx for clarification! So nothing to get excited about, thought it was brand new

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:52 pm

Trouser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:29 pm
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:30 pm
He's just trying to have a cake and eat it too. It feels forced and out of place, that's why people say he's Vegeta's fanboy.
As should be apparent from this exchange alone, people say it for no other reason than that they want to believe it - or, perhaps, want an opening for something to criticise, however illusory, and will do so against repeated evidence to the contrary; not because it has any foundation in reality. Case in point: you're just using the word "feels" to justify your assertion without anything concrete at all to back it up.

(Toyotarou has been a lightning rod for this sort of nonsense for years - remember when he was a horrid Vegeta hater who shafts him and makes him look dumb by never giving him the win, you guys?? Give Vegeta a bit of effective insight in Chapter 101 and suddenly we lurch into "Vegeta fanboy" territory again, because something something something)

The sources cited in my post range between 2013 and January of this year, so your "feeling" flies in the face of more than a decade of the man himself directly and consistently stating his preferences when asked, for anyone who wants to know. He's telling y'all that Goku is his favourite. Nevertheless, apparently, you think some nebulous "feeling" should be given priority over what Toyotarou has to say about himself, for some reason.

How bizarre.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:14 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:32 pm
Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:58 pm This was also included in the printed Jump magazine, more Black Freeza hyping.

This is being taken out of context for this discussion, and isn't even from the current (March 2024) issue... it's from last month's (February 2024) issue, the one with chapter 100.

It's a tiny little portion of a two-page spread (which actually continues onto the next two pages for a four-page feature column) going over all the special techniques and fights and such. It's no more "Black Freeza hype" than it is "Moro hype" or "Granolla hype". It's just Hashtag Magazine Content.

(Special thanks to Moro for helping to hold down the pages!)
Thanks for that VegettoEX!

FinalPilaf

Post by FinalPilaf » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:12 am

My boi Gohan gonna be stronger than Goku next chapter, I know it. It's good to be a Gohan fan right now. Even if Goku kicks his ass due to being a better fighter (which I wouldn't even mind), just seeing Gohan suprpass Goku in sheer power for the first time since the mid 1990's in terms of real time would be sweet.

My favorite aspect of this Beast form and the events that unfolded during the Super Hero arc is that it brings back an aspect of Gohan that has been completely forgotten ever since the original manga and it's original anime adaption ended; Gohan being fueld by rage. That was his thing back in the day. In terms of how his power worked, he was the Z warriors equallent of the Hulk. It's great to see that aspect of him taking center stage again. I also loved that little moment in the Super Hero movie where Gohan powers up and explodes the aircraft he was in, undoubtaly killing the mook that was flying it (the manga chapter featuring the event ret-conned it so that the dude survived, but still, the movie version is the one written by Toriyama). Because that's another thing the the entire DB franchise has sorta forgotten about since Toriyama's original manga; Gohan might be the nicest guy out of the cast towards good people, but unlike Goku he does NOT think twice about ending bad people. Unless he feels like punishing them first, like he did against Cell (which came back to bite him but that's beside the point lol). Once he has decided that someone is evil to the point their life doesn't matter he is straight up cold.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:07 am

I hope they give a more in-depth and valid explanation about Gohan's new transformation in the next chapter. Also, I'd like to see some clashes between all the new transformations. Goku could in fact teleport Gohan and Piccolo to Beerus' planet for intensive training between multiple fighters. This would definitely create interesting new interactions and fights, as well as comical points between them.