SPARKING! ZERO - Visual Roster Checker

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

SPARKING! ZERO - Visual Roster Checker

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:06 pm

As the hype and theories about the roster are bound to keep increasing over the latest and upcoming trailers,
here is a quick, visual way to keep up with the currently-known selection of characters.

The order is the same as on the official website (https://dbsz.bn-ent.net/character/) and the various forms are right next to the related base character.
The names are the official English names whenever possible (some names are still only in Japanese and require a temporary custom translation)

GOKU (ℤ-Early)

ImageImage
GOKU (ℤ-Mid)GOKU (ℤ-Mid)「Super Saiyan」

ImageImageImageImage
GOKU (ℤ-End)GOKU (ℤ-End)「Super Saiyan」│ GOKU (ℤ-End)「Super Saiyan 2」│ GOKU (ℤ-End)「Super Saiyan 3」

ImageImageImageImage
GOKU (Super)GOKU (Super)「Super Saiyan」│ GOKU (Super)「Super Saiyan God」│ GOKU (Super)「Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan」

GOHAN (Child)

ImageImage
GOHAN (Future)GOHAN (Future)「Super Saiyan」

ImageImage
GOHAN (High School)GOHAN (High School)「Super Saiyan」

ImageImage
VEGETA (ℤ-Scouter)GREAT APE VEGETA

ImageImageImage
VEGETA (ℤ-Early)VEGETA (ℤ-Early)「Super Saiyan」│ SUPER VEGETA

ImageImageImageImage
VEGETA (ℤ-End)VEGETA (ℤ-End)「Super Saiyan」│ VEGETA (ℤ-End)「Super Saiyan 2」│ MAJIN VEGETA

ImageImageImageImage
VEGETA (Super)VEGETA (Super)「Super Saiyan」│ VEGETA (Super)「Super Saiyan God」│ VEGETA (Super)「Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan」

PICCOLO

KRILLIN

YAMCHA

TIEN

VIDEL

ImageImage
TRUNKS (Melee)「Super Saiyan」│ SUPER TRUNKS

ImageImage
TRUNKS (Sword)TRUNKS (Sword)「Super Saiyan」

FUTURE TRUNKS「Super Saiyan」

MASTER ROSHI

MASTER ROSHI 「Max Power」

FRIEZA (Super)

CELL「Perfect Form」

MAJIN BUU

MR. SATAN

NAPPA

BURTER

JEICE

ANDROID 17

ANDROID 17 (Super)

ANDROID 18

BEERUS

WHIS

ImageImageImage
BROLY (Super)BROLY (Super)「Super Saiyan」│ BROLY (Super)「Super Saiyan Full Power」

HIT

KALE「Super Saiyan (Berserk)」

JIREN

TOPPO

DYSPO

BERGAMO

KAKUNSA
Last edited by Cold Skin on Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:06 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: SPARKING! ZERO - Visual Roster Checker

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:58 pm

This is a super cool idea! It's gonna be fun watching this fill up over time.

If I may, one suggestion I have would be to add the character names as presented on the website as well, since we do have some interesting labels like Freeza (Super); I think it would be a good supplement to the artwork itself, showing the naming schemes or even lack thereof, while still maintaining the quick/visual nature.

Either way though, it looks nice!
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:14 am

You forgot THE CHAMP :evil:
Well done now, looks great! :clap:
Last edited by Xeogran on Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:47 am

All fixed based on those two comments!

Note that on the official website, Cell's form (or I guessed it was his form that was written) is presented as a specification of the version rather than as a form, so I presented it exactly as such ("Cell (perfect form)" rather than "Cell, perfect form").

I don't read Japanese so I based some translations on users' comments, that seemed to indicate that Trunks is written as "Battle" in one version to specify it's not the sword-wielding version, so I adapted it as "fistfight" for now until we get an official English name, while the other Trunks is reportedly written as "Future Trunks", even though both versions are technically Future Trunks in the story.

So I just try to respect the official naming conventions of this game as much as I can, as we get more info, and hopefully with a little help when it comes to understanding names that have not been translated in any official English material for the game yet.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:04 am

Extremely disappointed we're getting several versions of Goku and Vegeta instead of having one character with interchangeable outfits and movesets like the Raging Blast games. It's one BT tradition they should have done away with.

I wonder if Goku Super will include all the other Super Saiyan forms. It would be incredibly bloated to have two Gokus with SS1-SS2-SS3, but they already included SS1 for Superku.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:54 am

^ I don't think the Super version will have SS2 and SS3, the objective was probably to put a limit to the number of transformations so that you don't have five forms like SS, SS2, SS3, SS God, SS Blue. This is also probably why Freeza has a Super version himself, because they didn't want to stack Golden on top of all the other forms he uses on Namek.

Plus, they probably wanted to match the representations of those characters in the series.
In Super, Freeza basically walks around in his final form most of the time and goes Golden in battle when he needs to.
And in Super, SS2 and SS3 were mostly absent, Goku had a tendancy to go Super Saiyan and then up to Super Saiyan Blue (if not directly to Blue), with Super Saiyan God being present for some specific events (Battle of Gods, the Tournament of Power and the fight against Broly).

So having Normal - SS1 - SS God - SS Blue while ditching SS2 and SS3 really matches the way he's mostly represented in Super, to the point that it's exactly the four forms that the "animation reference sheets" were showing to the staff for the Broly movie for example. Those are deemed as the forms most representative of Super Goku.

Then there is Ultra Instinct (Sign) and Ultra Instinct surely coming.
They will probably be a separate Goku: anime-wise, the form has still only appeared in one arc and is perhaps not representative enough to be included in an "all-around Super representation" for Goku.
And if they do try to put a limit to the number of forms, they won't stack those two up on top of the existing Super Goku.

So I'm sure that there will be one distinct Goku having Ultra Instinct (Sign) as a base and Ultra Instinct as a transformation.
You can also count on GT Goku at some point.
Perhaps add the original Kid Goku too, since he was there in previous games.
And of course, the new Kid Goku from Daima.

So I'd say we have at least four more Goku characters coming up.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:10 am

Great idea, keep it up!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:26 pm

^ Thanks! 8)
It will be interesting keeping it up and seeing how it fledges over time!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:58 pm

The eleven new characters have been added, but a few changes might be incoming regarding them:

I usually place them in the same order as on the official Japanese website, but they're not there yet.
So I placed them where it seemed logical to me and I will adapt the order once the website gets an update to include them.

Kale is named "Super Saiyan Berserk" for now, which is only a wild guess. With the names only appearing in Japanese on the V-Jump pages and since I can't read much Japanese myself, I had to come up with temporary English names for the time being. "Super Trunks" "Super Saiyan Full Power" and "MAX Power" are pretty certain as even I could decypher that when looking at the Japanese writings on the pages. But for Kale, all I can tell is that it says "Super Saiyan [something]" and it's not "Full Power" like for Broly's version of the transformation. So I just guessed it was "Super Saiyan Berserk" like it's apparently been in some games, but I'll update all the names to match the English version whenever we get to know them anyway.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:09 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:58 pm But for Kale, all I can tell is that it says "Super Saiyan [something]" and it's not "Full Power" like for Broly's version of the transformation. So I just guessed it was "Super Saiyan Berserk" like it's apparently been in some games, but I'll update all the names to match the English version whenever we get to know them anyway.
I think it says 暴走 (bousou), which would mean something like "rampage", or "running wild", so your guess of "berserk" would fit well enough.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:58 pm

^ Nice! At least the games are more or less coherent with each other when it comes to naming.
We'll see if the official English name matches that in due time!

By the way, you guys shouldn't hesitate posting if you ever happen to see that one of the websites has updated, whether it's the Japanese one to check the order of the characters or the English one to check the official English names!
You never know, I might not always see that there's been an update!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:14 pm

The Japanese official website (link in the first post) has been updated to include the newest characters, so I have changed their orders here to reflect the same placements as on the official page.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:10 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:54 am ^ I don't think the Super version will have SS2 and SS3, the objective was probably to put a limit to the number of transformations so that you don't have five forms like SS, SS2, SS3, SS God, SS Blue. This is also probably why Freeza has a Super version himself, because they didn't want to stack Golden on top of all the other forms he uses on Namek.

Plus, they probably wanted to match the representations of those characters in the series.
In Super, Freeza basically walks around in his final form most of the time and goes Golden in battle when he needs to.
And in Super, SS2 and SS3 were mostly absent, Goku had a tendancy to go Super Saiyan and then up to Super Saiyan Blue (if not directly to Blue), with Super Saiyan God being present for some specific events (Battle of Gods, the Tournament of Power and the fight against Broly).

So having Normal - SS1 - SS God - SS Blue while ditching SS2 and SS3 really matches the way he's mostly represented in Super, to the point that it's exactly the four forms that the "animation reference sheets" were showing to the staff for the Broly movie for example. Those are deemed as the forms most representative of Super Goku.

Then there is Ultra Instinct (Sign) and Ultra Instinct surely coming.
They will probably be a separate Goku: anime-wise, the form has still only appeared in one arc and is perhaps not representative enough to be included in an "all-around Super representation" for Goku.
And if they do try to put a limit to the number of forms, they won't stack those two up on top of the existing Super Goku.

So I'm sure that there will be one distinct Goku having Ultra Instinct (Sign) as a base and Ultra Instinct as a transformation.
You can also count on GT Goku at some point.
Perhaps add the original Kid Goku too, since he was there in previous games.
And of course, the new Kid Goku from Daima.

So I'd say we have at least four more Goku characters coming up.
Goku used SS2 a lot during the Zamasu and ToP arcs though.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:24 pm

In fact, I'm not seeing Dragon Ball Super Trunks with Super Saiyan 2. This will be a huge mistake if he doesn't have it, even if the anime screwed up by not making it any different than his Super Saiyan. It was his go-to transformation for pretty much the entire saga.

Goku uses it against Trunks, Zamasu, Goku Black and Caulifla. Vegeta also used it against Goku Black but unfortunately it was only in the manga.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:15 pm

DBS Goku and Vegeta are pretty clearly borrowing from their depiction in Broly, and it seems Toriyama intentionally didn't use SS2 or SS3 for the stuff that he scripted directly, so I think streamlining their forms to SS > SSG > SSB makes sense.

Really hoping they don't make UI Goku shirtless for the millionth time though. Would be lame as hell.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:12 pm

It looks like the official English website has a few tidbits:
  • Armored Trunks is called Trunks (Melee)
  • Broly is called Broly (Super), though not on the Japanese site
  • Kale's transformation is indeed called Berserk, albeit stylized with parentheses as Super Saiyan (Berserk)
And probably not as interesting to most, but at least here on the site, the variations for Goku and Vegeta are specifically rendered with no spaces around the hyphens, i.e. Z-Early, which is a little surprising to me...
MyAnimeList | AniList

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:04 pm

^ Thanks, I've used the link and your remarks about what you saw to put the official English names for every character (at least as they are right now on the site)! For clarity's sake, I'll follow the English official names even if there are oddities or discrepancies compared to the Japanese site.

A few additional notes:

Cell's perfect form is presented as a transformation rather than a character's "version description" on the English site: the character is "Cell" and he is in an in-game transformed state called "Perfect form". On the Japanese one, it still appears as a "version": the character is "Cell (Perfect Form)" and he is not in any in-game transformed state.

The order is different on the English website: while the order of the initially revealed characters is the same, the new reveals are just stacked up at the end. So I'll stick with the Japanese order, which seems to actually organise all characters, even the recent ones.

Broly being specified as "Broly (Super)" would indicate plans to include the Z version. The Japanese site still indicates nothing but "Broly". Is it a goof from the American team who knows some things and revealed a specification of version too soon when the Japanese devs were trying to keep it vague to keep things under wrap? Is it just that the Japanese will consider DBS Broly as the default version and the Z Broly as the alternate version while the western teams will do the opposite or even specify both? Who knows?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:48 pm

Updated with the latest info, with upcoming updates when we get the official positions and names.

Right now, you have to know the following:

Gohan (Future) and Trunks (Sword) seem to have temporary names that fit the Japanese text. We'll see if it is localized that exact way or not soon enough. This is a bit pecular since I would have called the "blue jacket" Trunks we first get to see the "Sword" version, with the jacket-free version that kills the cyborgs being something else like "Homecoming". Perhaps the "blue jacket" version will just be called "Trunks" without any specification, but it's still strange to try to differentiate the later version by calling it "Sword" when he did already use a sword the first time we saw him.

Gohan (Child) and Gohan (High School) are completely custom temporary names as I don't understand what's written for them in Japanese (I tried to type "child", "teenager", "high school", "student", "adult", 'training" and so on in Google Translate and never found anything that looks like the signs we can see on the page...). So those are names that could be completely unrelated to the actual names of these specific versions in the game.

Because they have totally unrelated clothes, I separated both versions of Master Roshi revealed so far. I started by putting them on the same line like transformations because they are described as just being a same character with a different form, no version is specified. But they still wear different clothes in the end, so it seems fishy to me that they would be the same character being able to go in and out of transformation and switch glasses/pants in the process. Perhaps there's no specification because the form defines the version: if you take the base form, it's automatically the original DB Master Roshi, while if you take the MAX Power form, it's automatically the Super version. It's a bit ambiguous right now.

As pointed out by Bardock God of Time, despite not being introduced officially on the page, the Z version of C-17 can be spotted on a picture, being thrown by Future Gohan. So I added him while I was at it. Judging by the way we already have "Android 18", it's safe to bet that he'll be called "Android 17" without any specification that he belongs to Z, as the "Super" specification of his counterpart is enough to make the distinction.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:23 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:48 pm Gohan (Child) and Gohan (High School) are completely custom temporary names as I don't understand what's written for them in Japanese (I tried to type "child", "teenager", "high school", "student", "adult", 'training" and so on in Google Translate and never found anything that looks like the signs we can see on the page...). So those are names that could be completely unrelated to the actual names of these specific versions in the game.
Though I don't know Japanese either, I put the V-Jump scan itself into Google Translate, and from Boo arc Gohan specifically I got 青年期 (seinen-ki); 青年 (seinen) is "youth" and 期 (ki) is "period", the same kanji used in 前期 (zenki), "early period", i.e. "Goku (Early)". Seems like an appropriate translation of 青年期 as a whole would be "adolescence", which at least does line up with what this version of Gohan was called in the English version of Raging Blast 2.

And similarly for kid Gohan, 幼年期 (yōnen-ki) is used, which seems to mean simply "childhood". I'm expecting to see "Gohan (Kid)" on this one!
MyAnimeList | AniList

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:34 pm

^ Thanks, I see the way I named them for now is not too farfetched, at least!
There's a good chance you'll be right for the names of both versions of Gohan, we should know very soon now!

It's always a bit ambiguous with Gohan.
He's already a teenager when facing Cell, but he's still technically a teenager when going to high school, so both could be called "Gohan (teenager)" actually, but only one of them can be named that way and you have to find another way to describe the other version, with "adult" being inaccurate when Gohan is still in high school.

So there's always stuff to wonder about how they'll describe those two versions specifically (the Cell Game one and the high school one), on the contrary of the "kid / child" version which is pretty obvious.