Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 102 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 102 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:37 pm

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 102

孫悟空vs孫悟飯
Son Gokū Bāsesu* Son Gohan
Son Goku vs. Son Gohan

(*tentative; depends on furigana in final published chapter)

-------------------------------

Release Information:

JAPAN:
Date: February 21, 2024
Publication: V-Jump, April 2024 Issue
Cost: ¥650
Purchase: Amazon Japan

(V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are generally released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately.)

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: February 20, 2024 (timed to the JP midnight-on-February-21st release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free

FIRST OFFICIAL TEASE:
The "Weekly Dragon Ball News" segment posted on the Dragon Ball Official Website on 12 February 2024 featured Victory Uchida (Shueisha employee/mascot, and editor for the Dragon Ball Super manga working alongside Toyotaro and Akira Toriyama) displaying a tease for the upcoming drafts on screen, which will (tentatively) be shared on February 14.

STORYBOARDS/DRAFTS:
The first several pages of any given chapter's roughs/storyboards/drafts have been posted on the official Dragon Ball website for quite some time now (in all likelihood done in an attempt to combat piracy and control the narrative by releasing teases of specific information and context at their own discretion). The drafts for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 102 were posted on November 14 (Japan time). As these specific articles are generally removed from the website upon the chapter's formal release, archived versions of these links (such as this) are generally shared by fandom.

-------------------------------

THREAD/DISCUSSION INFORMATION

This is the "official" discussion thread for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 102. All content regarding this specific chapter would be great to include here in this thread, rather than the dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread. Posts that are specific to the individual chapter in the gigantic thread with no relevance to the larger series will be reported and/or removed.

Q: When will this thread open?

A: This thread will be opened by a Kanzenshuu moderator when the first official promotion of the respective chapter occurs. This may be when its storyboards are shared, or in some kind of formal news article leading up to that point. Please do not create a separate thread of your own to discuss this chapter.

Q: What is the history behind a [blank]-specific discussion thread?

A: We established episode-specific discussion threads beginning with Dragon Ball Kai in 2011, followed by the Dragon Ball Super television series in 2015. These episode-specific threads allowed people to discuss just that: those specific episodes, without being interrupted by other discussions regarding general production, promotion, etc. We didn't create corresponding Dragon Ball Super manga chapter threads at its debut due to the nature of its production: it was initially billed as a "comicalization" of the television series, and the first arc barely stood on its own as a unique production, rather than supplemental/incidental/disposable. We had kept the larger thread out of inertia from those earlier chapters, and have wavered for literal years over whether or not to separate them out.

Q: We've had worthwhile individual chapters since chapter five. This is absurd. Why are you just starting individual discussion threads so many years into the manga, when the TV series had it from the start?

A: All of that is correct. Maybe we will go back and pull out threads for past chapters. Maybe we won't. We should have done this a long time ago. Better late than never. This is the plan for now on and is not currently up for discussion or reconsideration. Thank you.

Q: OK, but... so what's the point?

A: At Kanzenshuu we believe in history and preservation. It is worthwhile to future versions of ourselves and entirely new future fans to be able to dig back and find real-time reactions to specific productions (such as a specific episode or chapter). It's much easier to do this when the discussions are separated into these unique threads.

Q: When will new threads be created?

A: Threads for new/upcoming manga chapters will be created by a Kanzenshuu administrator at an appropriate point in time following the release of a previous chapter, and ahead of that next chapter's release schedule (which itself includes the official drafts/storyboards).

Q: OK, so what do you expect us to actually discuss in a chapter thread, particularly ahead of its release?

A: For some time now, Shueisha (in all likelihood to combat "leaks" and illegal piracy) has released "draft" pages of upcoming chapters in the two weeks leading up to any given chapter's release. These are official pieces of information dissemination and absolutely up for discussion. We welcome questions about where and how to legally and officially consume the manga. We do not condone nor allow the discussion or encouragement of piracy. Following a chapter's release, of course anything relating to that chapter and its contents are up for discussion in a specific thread.

Q: What kinds of "sources" can we discuss?

A: You can discuss whatever you want, so long as it lives up to the community guidelines. It is recommended that you link to / discuss actual sources of information, rather than second-hand accounts. Twitter and its users are not "sources" of information. Shueisha has its own official Dragon Ball website and weekly news broadcast on YouTube, which will in all likelihood be your actual primary sources of information leading up to a chapter's release.

Q: What if I have something to say about another chapter that's not this chapter?

A: Is what you have to say/ask/post even tangentially related to this chapter? That's fine. Does it have absolutely nothing to do with this chapter? Post it elsewhere. These chapter-specific threads do not automatically close after a new chapter comes out; you are free to keep discussing a specific chapter for as long as you all feel like talking about it.

Q: So what do we do with the big/main thread?

A: The dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread is still perfect for overall/holistic discussion regarding the manga, its production, its promotion, its content relation to other parts of the franchise, etc.

Q: I want to learn more about what's going on with this manga's production!

A: Check out Episode #0489 of our podcast for an extreme deep-dive (with all the receipts you can eat!) into the production of the manga, including all of the ways that Toyotaro, Akira Toriyama, and Victory Uchida each individually contribute to it.

Q: What's on the horizon / what does the future hold for the manga? Is the Super Hero arc actually continuing beyond the movie?

A: We have no idea! We'll all find out together!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 102 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 am

Battle title! Lets get it.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:16 am

Wonder if they'll go into their strongest forms right away, or start gradually. I'd be surprised if it's the first, considering that rarely ever happens.
Nice to finally have Goku back in action again, it's been a looong while! :thumbup:

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:17 am

This is the most excited I've been for a chapter in a long time. Roughs look fun, Beast getting a tiny bit more explanation. If Gohan and Goku go all out on Beerus planet that will make for some fun scenes.

The power scaling fans are about to have a field day.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:00 am

I know we spent like 2 years with non-stop fighting, but we've also spent an entire year with funny shenanigans, some high school drama and fights we've seen already, so I'm rested enough to see a good bout again.

However, I think it won't last long, hopefully I'll be wrong.

I'm also dying to see Broly meeting the hybrids, I'm more excited about them interacting than the actual fight, let's just hope nobody pisses on Broly. And Beerus and the teenagers, I expect some type of funny reaction from the cat.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:31 am

I like how he seemingly teleported Carmine as well, I wonder if that's going to matter down the line, just like when Kibitoshin teleported Mister Satan to the fight against Buu.

picc
Beyond Newbie

Post by picc » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:20 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:00 am I know we spent like 2 years with non-stop fighting, but we've also spent an entire year with funny shenanigans, some high school drama and fights we've seen already, so I'm rested enough to see a good bout again.

However, I think it won't last long, hopefully I'll be wrong.

I'm also dying to see Broly meeting the hybrids, I'm more excited about them interacting than the actual fight, let's just hope nobody pisses on Broly. And Beerus and the teenagers, I expect some type of funny reaction from the cat.
This is exactly how I feel about it. I'm so glad we're just getting right to it. The fun and hijinks is great and all, but I started watching DB to see people kicking each other's ass and thats still why I watch it.
Planet Namek Bred

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:27 pm

The moment is approaching!
From this chapter I expect these things:

-clash between Goku and Gohan;
-explanations on the Beast form;
-Piccolo, Goten and Trunks training on Beerus' planet;
-a clue as to where this new arc wants to go (or we are still in the superhero arc?);
-some shocking revelations!

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:51 pm

Gt91 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:27 pm -Piccolo, Goten and Trunks training on Beerus' planet;
Piccolo isn't even there, so not anytime soon :problem:

I feel like Goku's eventual training with him is gonna be offscreen too, like at least we know Goku wants to do it.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:33 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:51 pm
Gt91 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:27 pm -Piccolo, Goten and Trunks training on Beerus' planet;
Piccolo isn't even there, so not anytime soon :problem:

I feel like Goku's eventual training with him is gonna be offscreen too, like at least we know Goku wants to do it.
Goku did train with Piccolo and Gohan before the Android Saga for 3 years, it would be cool to see them train together again.
It would be cool to see Goten and Trunks train with Goku.

If they all train with Beerus and Whis even better. Whis allowed Vegeta to go from weaker than Boo to stronger than Vegito in the Boo Saga.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:38 am

Some leaks are out!
The fight is real (look at Vegeta's face ahaha).

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:42 pm

Minor nitpick but definitely not a fan of how Toyotaro is drawing Goku ever since the Superhero arc started. It's like he forgot how to draw him. This became even more apparent with the way he drew UI this chapter.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:10 pm

Art is subjective and that counts to each one's perception of it as well, for me Toyotaro is drawing Goku just the way he always did since the Fukkatsu no F manga, his particular style isn't one of my favorites but I do recognize that's just the way he choose to draw the characters and he won't change it unless he wants or is forced to.
The differences from nearly 10 years ago is that his art became more refined, but it depends on the feelings he wants the character to convey when drawn, for battles he will make them with more robust lines and facial & body expressions, for comical or peaceful scenes he will always do what he has been doing for almost a decade:
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:15 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:10 pm Art is subjective and that counts to each one's perception of it as well, for me Toyotaro is drawing Goku just the way he always did since the Fukkatsu no F manga, his particular style isn't one of my favorites but I do recognize that's just the way he choose to draw the characters and he won't change it unless he wants or is forced to.
The differences from nearly 10 years ago is that his art became more refined, but it depends on the feelings he wants the character to convey when drawn, for battles he will make them with more robust lines and facial & body expressions, for comical or peaceful scenes he will always do what he has been doing for almost a decade:
I agree he's always drawn him like this during the more lighthearted and comedic scenes but my issue is that he's still drawing him like this even during the serious action scenes now.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:24 pm

I believe there is a difference between a Friendly sparring and a Actual Battle, I personally don't expect two fights like Goku vs Freeza in Early ToP and Goku vs Goten in EoZ to have the same expressions. As far as I remember Goku so far only used the UI in deadly fights, this is the first time he's using it in a different situation, but that's all I can say for now, I didn't see the leaks of this chapter and I prefer to wait for it to be released first.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:33 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:24 pm As far as I remember Goku so far only used the UI in deadly fights, this is the first time he's using it in a different situation
Nah, Goku used it to spar with Whis too at the start of Granolah arc.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:38 pm

Indeed, that wasn't a memorable arc for me so I had to expect that I would end up forgetting about it XD thanks

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:00 pm

More Fat Gotenks. You're a true comedy genius, Akira.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Gashaponista

Post by Gashaponista » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:23 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:00 pm More Fat Gotenks. You're a true comedy genius, Akira.
Toriyama is focused on Sandland and Daima, he has no idea that the manga is still running.
Everything you can enjoy in these pages is pure genius from Toyo and Uchida.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:51 pm

Alright, some props where is due:

This is really cool. Toyotaro was the one who went out of his way to finally acknowledge the "Ultimate" name in-universe. It's something that should have already happened ages ago, but no matter, like a true fan, Toyotaro didn't have to do it but he does it anyway and it's nice. I wonder if they will also call Piccolo's transformation "Ultimate" or if they will call it by the alternate name "Potential Unleashed".

Also, Ultimate outright called a transformation, as it has always been (as it changes appearance). So hopefully after this we won't have to put up with the those ones saying Ultimate is a permanent state and that is not a transformation. Thank you, Toyotaro! :thumbup:

With that out of the way, we can't have too many nice things, can we? Once again, they think it's hilarious "fat Gotenks". I'm bursting into laughter I can't even control myself. :| I'm also not a fan of Gohan going Ultimate against freaking Goten and Trunks... Pretty sure his Super Saiyan 2 should be enough to handle them.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~