Piccolo's age?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

I like DB(Z) (...)

Piccolo's age?

Post by I like DB(Z) (...) » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:35 am

I've never really thought about it before, but what is his (assuming he is a he) age?
Now that I think about it, it seems logical to think he is 4 years older than Gohan:
He is born
Three years later is the budokai
One year later Gohan is born
Four years later DBZ starts.

So am I right? And can anyone remind me how many Earth days is one Namek year?

SonEric84
Banned

Re: Piccolo's age?

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:39 am

I like DB(Z) (...) wrote:And can anyone remind me how many Earth days is one Namek year?

I think it's 130 days?

I like DB(Z) (...)

Post by I like DB(Z) (...) » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:43 am

So one Earth year is roughly 2.75 Namek years....
So the time we first see his growth sprout was 8 and a quarter years if he was on Namek.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:49 pm

I don't believe it was ever stated 130 Earth days made up a Namekian year. It took 130 Earth days for the Namekian dragon balls to restore their power. Even on Earth, it only takes the dragon balls 7.5 months to return to their former selves.
Last edited by Tyro on Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:57 pm

Tyro wrote:I don't believe it was ever stated 130 Earth days made up a Namekian year. It took 130 Earth days for the dragon balls to restore their power. Even on Earth, it only takes the dragon balls 7.5 months to return to their former selves.

I thought I remembered Dende say that in the Freeza saga when they were waiting for the Namekian dragon balls to restore their power. Something like:"A Namekian year is much shorter than an Earth year..." Just basically stating that the Namek dragon balls took a year to restore in Namek time. I may be wrong though since I haven't seen those episodes in a while.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Re: Piccolo's age?

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:36 pm

I like DB(Z) (...) wrote:I've never really thought about it before, but what is his (assuming he is a he) age?
Now that I think about it, it seems logical to think he is 4 years older than Gohan:
He is born
Three years later is the budokai
One year later Gohan is born
Four years later DBZ starts.
As someone who saw Z long before the original Dragonball (and I'm only half way right now, still haven't got the second box set) I naturally just assumed Piccolo and Goku were roughly the same age, until I read otherwise quite some time ago.

Speaking of ages, I'm curious, is there a thread on character ages around here somewhere, or perhaps translations from the Daizenshuu, I realized just now I'm clueless when it comes to the ages of all the characters.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:55 pm

I don't think that the time it takes for the Namekian DB's to restore themselves. If it was, then Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Chaozu wouldn't have been able to come back because of the "Must be dead for less than a year" rule, which I remember Dende mentioning about those Dragonballs.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:57 pm

I thought I remembered Dende say that in the Freeza saga when they were waiting for the Namekian dragon balls to restore their power. Something like:"A Namekian year is much shorter than an Earth year..." Just basically stating that the Namek dragon balls took a year to restore in Namek time. I may be wrong though since I haven't seen those episodes in a while.
Yeah. Dende says it takes a year for them to recharge and Gohan and Krillin look bumbed until he mentions that a Namekian year is only 130 days long.
Even on Earth, it only takes the dragon balls 7.5 months to return to their former selves.
Boht sest of Dragonballs take a year to recharge. The only time they do not take a full year to recharge is when you don't make all the wishes. With two wishes it's 6 months recharge time per wish. And with three it's 4 months.
Speaking of ages, I'm curious, is there a thread on character ages around here somewhere, or perhaps translations from the Daizenshuu, I realized just now I'm clueless when it comes to the ages of all the characters.
Daizenshuu Timeline wrote:Approximately 250 A.D. Uranai Baba begins her fortune telling buissnes.
430 A.D. Master Roshi is born. Here comes trouble ladies.
459 A.D. Tsurusennin's brother, Tao Pai Pai, is born.
658 A.D. Gohan(Goku's Adoptive Grandpa) is born.
698 A.D. Toninjinka is born. (Boss Rabbit in the dub)
715 A.D. The great Emperor Pilaf is born.
722 A.D. General Blue from the Red Ribbon Army is born.
732 A.D. The birth of Prince Vegeta.
733 A.D. Bulma, Yamcha, and Tien are born.
736 A.D. Krillin is born
737 A.D. A Low Class Saiyan fighter is born to the Middle Class fighter Bardock. (That would be Goku, duh)
740 A.D. Oolong is born.
749 A.D. September 1st Dragonball Begins.
And from there you can add up the ages the rest of the way. :wink:
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:51 pm

Xyex wrote:
Yeah. Dende says it takes a year for them to recharge and Gohan and Krillin look bumbed until he mentions that a Namekian year is only 130 days long.
Just checked Dragonball Vol. 28. I still don't see it. I'm guess it's an anime only line?
Boht sest of Dragonballs take a year to recharge. The only time they do not take a full year to recharge is when you don't make all the wishes. With two wishes it's 6 months recharge time per wish. And with three it's 4 months.
Oolong made a wish on the dragon balls. Goku goes off and trains with Muten Roshi for eight months. After the Tenka'ichi Budokai, Goku goes off to find his grandpa's dragon ball. Not only is it detectable on the dragon ball radar, one of the Red Ribbon men mention "Been a-scratchin' an' a-pokin' for 20 days a'ready." while looking for the dragon ball. I just rounded it to 7.5 for convenience.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:08 pm

Tyro wrote:Oolong made a wish on the dragon balls. Goku goes off and trains with Muten Roshi for eight months. After the Tenka'ichi Budokai, Goku goes off to find his grandpa's dragon ball. Not only is it detectable on the dragon ball radar, one of the Red Ribbon men mention "Been a-scratchin' an' a-pokin' for 20 days a'ready." while looking for the dragon ball. I just rounded it to 7.5 for convenience.
Yeah, DragonBall's first real, big plot hole. I remember trying to debate it with Rachel in chat, I was saddened to find there's no way around it. Big goof on ol' Toriyama's part.

In other news, 2,000th post! :D
14 years later

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:09 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Yeah, DragonBall's first real, big plot hole. I remember trying to debate it with Rachel in chat, I was saddened to find there's no way around it. Big goof on ol' Toriyama's part.
I've thought about it recently, and I'm not sure that it is. I don't believe there is anything definitive in the manga that states exactly how much time has passed between Chapters 54 (the end of the 21st Budoukai) and 55 (the start of the Red Ribbon arc). But what is definite is that time has passed, since 54 ends at night, while 55 starts early in the morning. He also doesn't actually check the Radar in 54; he just flies off.

I also always thought that Buruma mentioned her age as still 16 to the two perverted RR soldiers, but after looking through it again recently, that seems to be anime only.

So unless there's something else I'm forgetting, there's probably no real reason four months couldn't have passed, at least in the manga. (But in the anime, Gokuu definitely gets a signal on the Radar in episode 29, the entirety of which seems to take place on the same day he left the Budoukai.)
-Rachel

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:19 pm

Bulma: "Once a wish is granted, it supposedly takes at least a year for those seven balls to become dragon balls again..."

Supposedly. After I read this, I always thought that the 7.5 month thing wasn't actually a plothole after all. Then again, she does say at least...

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:59 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Yeah, DragonBall's first real, big plot hole. I remember trying to debate it with Rachel in chat, I was saddened to find there's no way around it. Big goof on ol' Toriyama's part.
Way around it: Since the wish granted was so completely minor, it didn't take a whole year to recharge the DBs.

Besides, this is the first time ever that the DBs could be found in less than a year/that anything so minor would have been wished for after busting one's ass to collect the DBs.