Episode #0123 (06 April 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0123 (06 April 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:46 pm

Episode #0123 (download MP3)
58:58; 64 kbps, mono; 26.9 MB

Episode #0123! VegettoEX, Meri, and Jeff tackle volume 15 of the manga in our regular "Manga Review of Awesomeness" segment. We are closing in towards the final battle, and we have seen a lot of maturity in the author in terms of overall story structure and character development. Your e-mails and a contest to win a free DB DVD set round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the appalling *one-hundred-twenty-three* episodes, now.

So Julian must have been busy this weekend... we can all forgive him, right...?!? Good times had by all. Don't have much else to say.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Great. I really feel like listening to this right now. Thanks man.lol

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:23 pm

... You know, if you want to falsify Julian quotes... give an idea of what to shoot for and someone else could do it. :twisted:

h0lykr@p J3ff saysed k11+3 wr0ng!!1

I think it's to the point that anything that's mildly funny becomes way funnier as soon as I hear Meri laugh at it. :D

In closing, todays ass = kicked. Well done, Head ChaLa.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:27 pm

caejones wrote:... You know, if you want to falsify Julian quotes... give an idea of what to shoot for and someone else could do it. :twisted
I actually have a friend who sounds exactly like Julian. He's even an old Dragon Ball fan, but only of the dub.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:53 pm

For some reason, I always like it whenever Kuririn fights. I mean, he's just so different in terms of looks from the rest of the fighters. I know he's not the only human fighter, but his character seems like what I'd imagine an actual human in would be like, if that makes any sense. Just plain giving up when he knew he didn't have a chance against Piccolo is a good example of this.

Ah, Taopaipai... he seems like such a good character to bring back in stuff like filler (I mean, there was some interesting filler flashbacks of him sparring with Ten in the anime)... then I remember what happened in the Cell Saga. The same thing goes with Tsuru-Sennin. I agree with you guys that he's very much like a Scooby-Doo baddie in that he's the kind of "I'll get you damn kids!" character. I dunno how else to say it :lol:...

Heh, the idea of "piecing together a Julian" reminds me of an Angry Beavers episode. You guys should seriously consider another April Fools podcast.

I'm sure I had more stuff to bring up, but I forgot most of 'em.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:35 am

Ah, I love this part of the series. It's good to hear it discussed by people who like it as much as I do. Two things though:

The comment Ma Junior makes about the move Goku uses to defeat Chi-Chi is a reference to a technique that Piccolo Daimao used, where he would create a shockwave by waving his arm. With Chi-Chi Goku does basically the same thing, but with his fist. The implication is that Goku learned the technique from Kami-sama, whose fighting style would naturally be similar to Piccolo’s. Shen does in fact do a move very similiar to this at the start of his match with Ma Junior.

Also, Yajirobe figured out about Shen because they fought in the preliminaries. Or at least, he probably didn't figure out that Shen was Kami-sama, but that's how he knew there was something out of the ordinary about him.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:10 am

Herms wrote:The comment Ma Junior makes about the move Goku uses to defeat Chi-Chi is a reference to a technique that Piccolo Daimao used, where he would create a shockwave by waving his arm. With Chi-Chi Goku does basically the same thing, but with his fist. The implication is that Goku learned the technique from Kami-sama, whose fighting style would naturally be similar to Piccolo’s. Shen does in fact do a move very similiar to this at the start of his match with Ma Junior.
I guess that always felt like too much of a stretch for me. The attack is so basic in the grand scheme of things (even for this part of the series, where the Kikoho is the "OMGCRAPANTS" attack), it just seems like it's something anyone could pick up and incorporate into any type of fighting style with ease.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:03 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I guess that always felt like too much of a stretch for me. The attack is so basic in the grand scheme of things (even for this part of the series, where the Kikoho is the "OMGCRAPANTS" attack), it just seems like it's something anyone could pick up and incorporate into any type of fighting style with ease.
I don't know how basic they are, but not many people ever actually use shockwave attacks like that. Up to this part in the series, the only ones are Piccolo Daimao, Ma Junior, and Goku. I don't think a connection there is too much of a stretch. Then even later the only ones else to use it are Vegeta, Freeza, Cell, and Majin Buu. Only four, and one of them even has Piccolo's cells. And it's not like any of them are your average guys, either.

(all this comes from Daizenshuu 7's attack list)

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:40 pm

Another fine episode. Once again, I am enjoying the manga volumes in this story arc and I cannot wait until volume 16. Thanks again.

FUNimationRocks

Post by FUNimationRocks » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:32 am

I completely agree with Jeff on the weighted clothing issue pushing the excitement of the fight between Goku and Ten. However, I have to agree that choosing between 'Goku vs. Ten', and 'Ma Junior vs. Kuririn' is a tough choice. Not sure which I like better.

On the subject of renting movies and sending VHS sets for the contest prize, one of the video stores around my house in having a closing, "Everything must go!" sale, and they had some VHS DBZ videos when I was there earlier today. Despite the fact that I had all of the videos they were selling, I decided to buy the copy of "Arrival" they had. I should note that all of the VHS tapes were a dollar each, so I don't feel I really lost out. :P

Not that I feel it's necessary in the least to justify buying a DBZ double for a buck, but I thought I would share my reason anyway.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:00 am

Hell, I'd buy ANYTHING for a buck.

Five seconds locked in a room with angry wasps?

No thanks.

But wait, I get this opportunity for ONLY A BUCK?

Thank you SIR for this grand bargain!

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:45 am

Happy birthday to Jeff!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:55 pm

Another great episode. Like I've said before, I really like the Manga Reviews. Wouldn't you know it, it looks like the VizBig editions are gonna launch JUST in time for me to start seriously following along with the "DragonBall Z" portion! :wink:

//Goes to enter contest//
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!