Anyone ever get embarrassed?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

disturbed001
Regular

Anyone ever get embarrassed?

Post by disturbed001 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:25 pm

I almost feel stupid for asking this, but does anyone ever feel weird buying Dragon Ball stuff in stores, or even talking about it to others? Most people who know me don't even know I like Anime.

This kinda goes for Anime in general, not just Dragon Ball.
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:35 pm

I was at first, but I'm so deep in now that if I knew the frigging words I'd run around singing WE GOTTA POWER at the top of my lungs between classes.

Anime in general, same thing. But without the singing.

Be proud of yourself and your fandom. Your friends will love you, crazy or not. And people who'll run off on you just because you like Dragonball/anime weren't really your friends to begin with.

Random question- Anyone have a source for reliable karaoke subs for the theme songs and Piccolo-san Daisuki? I can mumble along but I know they aren't the actual Japanese words I'm saying, just sounds that approximate them.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:37 pm

Velasa wrote:I was at first, but I'm so deep in now that if I knew the frigging words I'd run around singing WE GOTTA POWER at the top of my lungs between classes.
I do know the words to CHA-LA and randomly sing it sometimes.

Snail

Post by Snail » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:41 pm

For the most part, I generally never mention that one of my biggest interests include collecting/purchasing Dragonball merchandise and Dvds. Yes, I do get a tad embarassed if I purchase Dragonball merchandise, especially if I am going for trading cards, manga, or figures. The only person that I ever feel comfortable with when shopping for this stuff is with my sweetheart.

The strange thing though, is that when my buddies come over to my house time to time, I have no problem bragging about my large set of Dvds, and manga collection. In the end I guess, who are we kidding? Most of our friends back in the day were obsessed with Dragonball Z one way or another the way I see it. :)

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:41 pm

I put a great deal of effort into memorizing Mafushigi adabenchaa. XD

... I would need to do things in public to have a better answer. :? ... Hmm...

(Tehehe. Incidentally the day I was working on makafushigi, I pretty much had the house to myself, 'cep for father's wife. Who apparently found my singing along with a japanese cartoon themesong amusing... o.o)
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:51 pm

I did a little back in the early 2000's when it was huge in the States. Mostly because Suncoast was always full of 10 year olds

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:52 pm

I think my dad scared me. When I was in highschool if he ever caught me watching DBZ (or any cartoon for that matter) he would always say "why do you like/watch this crap?" or "when are you going to grow out of it?"

So I think I just made it habit to keep my anime interests a secret. I figure people will think I'm weird for liking this stuff at 20.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:53 pm

Not at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. Whenever I'm in the manga section at the bookstore, I boldy stick out the cover in plain sight, making it obvious to anyone walking by that "yes, I'm reading DragonBall, and I'm proud." Anyone gives me weird looks for doing so, I nod and say, "sup." They say, "DragonBall?" and I respond with, "yup. Good stuff." Same with buying stuff. I asked a Wal-Mart employee for some help in finding DBZ Season Three on their shelves when I bought it.

I talk to people about it, too. Well, obviously I don't try to go into in-depth nerdy conversations with everybody about it when they're clearly not interested. But for example, I was talking with one of my co-workers sometime last week just about what movies we were looking forward to, and I mentioned DragonBall as one of them.

He asks, "Oh, they're doing DBZ?" to which I responded, "Not DBZ, just DragonBall first," and he was like, "huh?" so I told him that "DragonBall Z was actually the second part of the whole series, but it came to America first so not many people know that." He goes "oh, cool," and then we started talking about Speed Racer.

There's having a conversation about something with someone else who's a fan and can relate, and then there's just mentioning something when it comes up and moving on. The two are best kept separate.

Otherwise, I do find myself humming "Cha La" or One Piece's "Jungle P" in public sometimes, and have to remind myself of how much of a nerd I am. But I don't really care and just keep humming.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:55 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Not at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. Whenever I'm in the manga section at the bookstore, I boldy stick out the cover in plain sight, making it obvious to anyone walking by that "yes, I'm reading DragonBall, and I'm proud." Anyone gives me weird looks for doing so, I nod and say, "sup." They say, "DragonBall?" and I respond with, "yup. Good stuff." Same with buying stuff. I asked a Wal-Mart employee for some help in finding DBZ Season Three on their shelves when I bought it.

I talk to people about it, too. Well, obviously I don't try to go into in-depth nerdy conversations with everybody about it when they're clearly not interested. But for example, I was talking with one of my co-workers sometime last week just about what movies we were looking forward to, and I mentioned DragonBall as one of them.

He asks, "Oh, they're doing DBZ?" to which I responded, "Not DBZ, just DragonBall first," and he was like, "huh?" so I told him that "DragonBall Z was actually the second part of the whole series, but it came to America first so not many people know that." He goes "oh, cool," and then we started talking about Speed Racer.

There's having a conversation about something with someone else who's a fan and can relate, and then there's just mentioning something when it comes up and moving on. The two are best kept separate.

Otherwise, I do find myself humming "Cha La" or One Piece's "Jungle P" in public sometimes, and have to remind myself of how much of a nerd I am. But I don't really care and just keep humming.
See that's so crazy, I wouldn't so much as mention Dragon Ball at work. I get picked on enough just for being me haha. I attract the "bullies"

vicdmx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by vicdmx » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:03 pm

Well at my school people think that whoever watches anime is a freak. Me and some other guy in my class are the only ones who watch anime.

The bad thing is that the other guy is a Naruto fanboy. :roll:

But, I'm proud of being an anime/Dragon Ball fan, so whoever does not like it (removal of incoherent extraneous words) can rot in Hell.
Life is Life.

shenron002
Beyond Newbie

Post by shenron002 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Personally, I have never been ashamed about liking anime, I love it and influence it any time the occasion arises. When I was in high school 5 years ago, I wasn't embarrassed about it, people know me for it, and were cool about it, just like the guy loved Metallica. Being from a small city in Canada, everybody was represented by what they wore on there t-shirt, and usually you were the only fan/person who knew about your favorite topic, kinda made it hard for debates tho. Anyways don't be ashamed about it liking/buying anime, It's usually the people with very little interest in anything, who are the quickest to insult.
"WE GOTTA POWER"

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:13 pm

Lol, I'm not ashamed, but I won't take it too far. You know, like doing a Kamehameha in class.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:14 pm

Embarrassed? Psh. I do Saiyaman poses in public. Willingly.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:50 pm

Nope never have. I'll willingly talk about DB and anime if the other person knows what it is and look at it in public too.

Also, not related to Dragonball, but I even go to the action figure aisle to see what's over there for some of the Marvel Legends and willing buy them because they're awesome and I watch Sentai. I don't have to hide what I like. Most of my friends don't know I watch anime either but when they find out they don't care because I'm still the same guy and it doesn't change who I am as the person they knew.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:23 pm

disturbed001 wrote:I think my dad scared me. When I was in highschool if he ever caught me watching DBZ (or any cartoon for that matter) he would always say "why do you like/watch this crap?" or "when are you going to grow out of it?"

So I think I just made it habit to keep my anime interests a secret. I figure people will think I'm weird for liking this stuff at 20.
I know that feeling. My parents are like, and I quote, "You're writing Dragonball Z stories and you are 20," or sometimes, "All that program does is scream and make a racket."

The good thing is that I have a younger brother who is mad on it, too. :lol: I can easily shift it onto him!

As for my friends knowing, I did used to get embarrassed whilst I was at school, but now I'm at college. My friend Hayles is just as nuts as me! A couple of my other closest friends know my undesired passion for Akira Toriyama and his fabulous work; I'm sure not all of them will understand though. :cry:
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:30 pm

I ain't ashamed or embarrassed one bit. Though I don't make it a point to flaunt around saying "I'm the biggest anime fan" in life outside the internet. If someone asks me what my favorite cartoon or anime is, I say "DragonBall Z", no problem. Same if someone were to ask what my favorite sitcom or fantasy/sci-fi series is. I don't feel weird talking about what I like, especially if the other person brings up the subject. If anyone tries making fun of me or tries treating me like I don't exist, then screw that person. Don't be ashamed, I say. My biggest goal for going to an anime convention, in fact, is to cosplay as Kaioshin-gi Gohan. Rather that'd warrant me a glomp or awkward look, doesn't matter to me either way, though Roy Mustang could still be on the agenda someday.
14 years later

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:56 pm

shotkeeper wrote:Lol, I'm not ashamed, but I won't take it too far. You know, like doing a Kamehameha in class.
I hate it when I forget that I need to type decently, lol.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:10 pm

I sometimes feel embarrassed while buying DBZ stuff, cause I always feel like the employees are like "What is this guy 12". But I still buy it cause I love it and I don't really care what people think, I am going to buy it anyway.

Also, for some reason, every time I buy a season set at best buy, one of the employees comes out of the wood work to talk to me about it.

Sonicmark

Post by Sonicmark » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:23 pm

Not really, I've been buying figures and mangas etc for years
There's a shop I've been going to since I was a little kid, called Forbidden Planet. My local doesn't stock much dragonball merch anymore, but I used to always go there atleast once a month.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:44 pm

I'm not really embarrassed about being a Dragon Ball fan. I guess part of that is because I'm also a Power Ranger fan, so Dragon Ball really isn't so shameful by comparison (not that I'm ashamed to be a PR fan!).