New Dragon Ball Artbook from Viz!? (Link inside)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Thu May 29, 2008 10:07 am

Except for it being offically translated into English? I can't read Danish. I don't even know if Danish is even a language that exists.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu May 29, 2008 10:18 am

As I said, it's an art book. There's like 10 pages of text in it, and most of those pages aren't particularly wordy either. This isn't a book you need to be able to read to enjoy.

I'm not recommending you import the book from Denmark now, as shipping from Europe to the US isn't cheap (neither is shipping from Japan, had you managed to buy the book from there, of course), but the book has always been available to you for a relatively low price.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu May 29, 2008 10:22 am

Adamant wrote:Isn't the printing of Cowa in Shonen Jump more exciting? I don't think it's been released outside Japan before, and you'd need to be able to understand the dialouge to get maximum enjoyment out of it.
I've always been a major supporter of Toriyama-sensei's other, less-known works (despite that DragonBall is, of course, the unquestioned favorite), and I think it's great whenever one of them finally sees light here in the United States; Cowa! is a great little manga, and I sure got excited when Neko Majin Z came out to play. So yes, I would always label that as exciting news.

Still, there's no denying that a domestic release of the first and possibly more Daizenshuu is exciting, too. The books aren't necessarily impossible to find as they are now-- hell, check this board regularly and you'll often find a link to someone selling one or more of them-- but it's not necessarily easy-peasy-guaranteesy either, or we'd all own a complete set by now and there'd be no such thing as "Daizenshuu hunting". Whether or not the books have been "widely" available in other countries or on eBay for some years now isn't quite the point; the point is that this release is going to make the guides more available than before (even if it's just a "little" more) to a market that wants them and until now didn't have the means for getting their own crisp, clean copies without at least some degree of work and/or luck involved. To quote something Mike said awhile back, "Now you can buy Movie 11 at your local Wal-Mart. It's crazy."

Yi Xing Long, I wouldn't call Adamant's attitude negative per se; it's just his slant on things. At the same time, though, I'd disagree on this release being a "minor convenience". It really is big news, because it's something that a lot of us have wanted but never thought could ever happen.

I personally am very excited for this, despite owning the Daizenshuu already.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

ShadowAssailantX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ShadowAssailantX » Thu May 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Wait a second VIZ, a PAPERPACK for 24.99? Aren't the Hardbacks usually in this price range?

The SJ Profiles Book series are usually $14.99, and the Hardback Art Books usually run around $19.99 - 24.99. Some Ghibli art books go for around $29.99-$34.99, but since this is supposed to be a SJ property, I don't see why a paperback art book should be any more than 15 bucks. This could just be a mistake, but then again, it's more than likely VIZ gouging us on one of it's biggest properties.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see this being released at all. Not much hope for the data books though.
So zetta slow

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Thu May 29, 2008 2:30 pm

ShadowAssailantX wrote:Not much hope for the data books though.
Unless we make this release an explosive phenomenon. I'll buy one copy every month, indefinitly, until Viz announces the rest of the series. Who's with me? If we can get about 300 people to do so it may tilt the sales slightly.

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Thu May 29, 2008 6:13 pm

FindKenshi wrote:
ShadowAssailantX wrote:Not much hope for the data books though.
Unless we make this release an explosive phenomenon. I'll buy one copy every month, indefinitly, until Viz announces the rest of the series. Who's with me? If we can get about 300 people to do so it may tilt the sales slightly.
I was actually thinking about buying two copies: one for scanning and reading, and the other for collection purposes.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Fri May 30, 2008 11:06 am

I completed my Daizenshuu collection last week. Oh well, I'm still definitely buying this if it has proper translation, correct (amount of) information, uncensored etc.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri May 30, 2008 11:22 am

Son Wukong wrote:I completed my Daizenshuu collection last week. Oh well, I'm still definitely buying this if it has proper translation, correct (amount of) information, uncensored etc.
I was wondering, is there anything that would be edited by Viz in the origional Japanese version of Daizenshuu 1? I'm talking about nudity, those hilarious-middle-fingers-that-Funi-likes-to-censor, bad words, ect. I hate it when they try and make an American release of a Japanese book/anime and they censor the Hell out of it to the point of it being pointless.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri May 30, 2008 2:36 pm

I think the title page where all of the charcters are flipping Cell off is in Daizenshuu one. It was edited when it appeared in the actual manga, so...

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Fri May 30, 2008 2:43 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:I think the title page where all of the charcters are flipping Cell off is in Daizenshuu one. It was edited when it appeared in the actual manga, so...
I highly doubt anything like that would be censored as this is an art book, not a "comic book." Most parents wouldn't buy something like this for their kids and most kids wouldn't care about this anyway. So with that mentality, I would say that everything should be uncensored.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri May 30, 2008 3:31 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:I was wondering, is there anything that would be edited by Viz in the origional Japanese version of Daizenshuu 1? I'm talking about nudity, those hilarious-middle-fingers-that-Funi-likes-to-censor, bad words, ect.
Chibi Mystic Gohan already mentioned the title page with some of the characters giving the finger to Cell. The only other thing I can think of off hand is the special calendar with Kame-sennin taking pictures of Lunch and Bulma in various stages of undress. But there's nothing too explicit there; just Lunch with her pants off and Bulma bathing, but with her arm covering up most of her breasts. The little gag comic with Vegeta beating Goku at a video game has Goku swearing (shimatta!), but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri May 30, 2008 5:03 pm

By the way: Amazon.com put up a bigger image:

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Illus ... 438&sr=1-9

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri May 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:By the way: Amazon.com put up a bigger image:

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Illus ... 438&sr=1-9
Being as the title has been left "Dragon Ball", I guess they are aiming for a different audience.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri May 30, 2008 11:15 pm

Herms wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:I was wondering, is there anything that would be edited by Viz in the origional Japanese version of Daizenshuu 1? I'm talking about nudity, those hilarious-middle-fingers-that-Funi-likes-to-censor, bad words, ect.
Chibi Mystic Gohan already mentioned the title page with some of the characters giving the finger to Cell. The only other thing I can think of off hand is the special calendar with Kame-sennin taking pictures of Lunch and Bulma in various stages of undress. But there's nothing too explicit there; just Lunch with her pants off and Bulma bathing, but with her arm covering up most of her breasts. The little gag comic with Vegeta beating Goku at a video game has Goku swearing (shimatta!), but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I guess there's not too much that Viz can mess up, there's potential for this to be a perfect American release. They've pretty much kept the exact demensions, same cover and don't seem to have much to ruin with their bad censorship. Yay! :D