Dragonball Movie Update! What is UP with this?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:24 pm

The movie is going to suck incredible amounts of ball, but I'm still going to go with a bunch of friends and enjoy the hell out of it.

It's all in knowing what to expect.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:25 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:The next time somebody leaves a comment like that one I'm going to lose my F'ing mind! :x Seriously, just stop. Stop with the predetermined hatred for this movie.
My thoughts exactly.

Hmmm.... not so newbie anymore.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Remix
Beyond Newbie

Post by Remix » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:35 pm

I wish they would have done this as a DB film series and not leading up to DBZ. Would've made a great series of fantasy/adventure movies. Oh, well.
Hi, I'm WeeklyTubeShow. Innagadadavida and I like to make videos.

Perhaps you'd like to see one.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Onikage725 wrote:Eh, can I just concede the point? It was one of a few examples used to make a general point that alterations happen in adaptations. If you look over any of my previous points, the school thing in particular is one I have *never* supported. So going against you right now would make it look like I do...
OK, I understand. With a thread this long, it's hard to keep track of what everyone's said. I know that adaptations pretty much always have alterations, and I don't object to any of the changes merely because they're changes, so I guess we agree.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Remix wrote:I wish they would have done this as a DB film series and not leading up to DBZ. Would've made a great series of fantasy/adventure movies. Oh, well.
Do more dick jokes.

:D

Anyway, trailer should be in Japan within a month or so. If anyone lives in Japan, keep an eye out.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:11 pm

SonEric84 wrote:Okay, I kind of see what you're saying, but at the same time to say everyone has a negative opinion just to piss off the people that like the idea is just wrong. I don't really see anyone coming in here to do that, they're expressing their opinion in the same way that the movie lovers are. Basically you're saying that anyone with a negative opinion should be written off, but act like all opinions are equal, so which one is it? I don't really see why the pro-movie crowd has to get their panties in a twist, if they're so happy about this movie they shouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks. As for the arguments where pro-movie people are all "wait till there's a trailer before you say anything!" shouldn't you be doing the same thing before you praise it? We all have different views and that's fine, no point in arguing about them. Like if it you like it, hate it, or be indifferent. Whatever.
Well, speaking just for myself, I tend to fall more in with the pro-crowd, but that isn't the same thing as blind optimism. Most of us aren't doing blind, blanket "this will be the greatest thing ever" statements, yet we see plenty of the opposite from the anti crowd.

I mean, how can you tell us to wait for a trailer when we're the ones saying "wait for a trailer?" There's a difference between pre-deciding something will be good and acknowledging that you don't have enough info to declare it the devil's work. Hence the "wait for a trailer" comments.

It's kind of like people who are already opposed to the next Call of Duty because Treyarch is working on it and they didn't like CoD3. Obviously if you didn't like the last game they made, having reservations about the next is natural. But when most of the info and early previews so far have been positive (and it's running on the CoD4 engine, and has multi-player options even that game didn't), I don't get why one has to hear over and over that the game is 100% guaranteed to blow.

It's the exact same principle here.
testing223 wrote:The movie is going to suck incredible amounts of ball, but I'm still going to go with a bunch of friends and enjoy the hell out of it.

It's all in knowing what to expect.
Heh, my friends and I call that the Troll 2 effect.
Herms wrote:OK, I understand. With a thread this long, it's hard to keep track of what everyone's said. I know that adaptations pretty much always have alterations, and I don't object to any of the changes merely because they're changes, so I guess we agree.
This thread is getting hefty. It's like the unofficial main movie thread.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Remix
Beyond Newbie

Post by Remix » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:34 pm

JAPPO wrote:
Remix wrote:I wish they would have done this as a DB film series and not leading up to DBZ. Would've made a great series of fantasy/adventure movies. Oh, well.
Do more dick jokes.
It would have been nice to get an opinion. :?
Hi, I'm WeeklyTubeShow. Innagadadavida and I like to make videos.

Perhaps you'd like to see one.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:50 pm

I will not be watching the characters I grew up with. Goku wont be childish, Roshi wont be a perv, Bulma wont scream randomly.

These will be the Americanized bastard versions.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:59 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:I will not be watching the characters I grew up with. Goku wont be childish, Roshi wont be a perv, Bulma wont scream randomly.

I'm not sure about Goku and Bulma, but I think some people here at the forum said that Roshi was going to be a pervert.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:03 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:
Sun_Wukong wrote:I will not be watching the characters I grew up with. Goku wont be childish, Roshi wont be a perv, Bulma wont scream randomly.

I'm not sure about Goku and Bulma, but I think some people here at the forum said that Roshi was going to be a pervert.
I think the only indication of that being true is his shirt on the promotional screenshot.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:03 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:

They can only do so much sex humor without making it R rated.

Its not like its a Judd Apatow or Kevin Smith comedy.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:

They can only do so much sex humor without making it R rated.

Its not like its a Judd Apatow or Kevin Smith comedy.
Roshi is pervy in the movie, this has already been confirmed. And uncut Dragonball wasn't R rated so I don't see them having much issue with it. It'll likely all be in eye placement (lots of butt/chest staring and very little eye contact) and comments (We've got 3 lead women in Chi-Chi, Bulma, and Mai so it's not like he's got limited options) as opposed to visual stuff. And probably no flashing scene. But meh. Pervy is pervy.

We also know that Goku will have a lot of, well, Goku in him.

Bulma, we don't know much on her yet. At least, I don't think so. I know there's been a few interviews but I've not seen them.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:21 pm

*Sigh* It's gonna be a looooooong seven months. :roll: It's the same shit over and over and over again. Let me predict how the next 20 pages are gonna be. Somebody will come in and say something like "Well I'm not gonna see the movie because it's not my Dragon Ball. The characters are changed and they added the High School bit, and it's not the show I grew up with. This movie is gonna suck. Sorry it just is." Then the "Happy Police" are gonna show up and say something like "Oh my god ! This is why I hate people on the internet. Blah blah blah wait for a trailer, blah blah blah stop stating your opinions as facts." Then the anti-movie people will be like "No you." Rinse. Wash. Repeat.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:24 pm

Xyex wrote:
But its not a good movie. It blew chunks. But if you enjoyed that I'm sure this upcoming abortion will be right up your alley.
See? This is exactly what I was talking about. Here we have a perfect example of those "My opinion is fact and everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot, go away loser" posts I mentioned before. It was a good movie. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't good or enjoyable to other people.

Get over yourself.
Saying 98 Godzilla was a piece of shit is hardly a minority opinon. Tell you what. Why don't you explain why it was good.

The fact is everybody ripping on this movie hhas perfectly valid reasons. Goku's history being radically changed is a valid reason. Krillan being omitted is a valid reason. Justin Chatwin looking nothing like Goku is a valid reason. The person playing Rioshi not looking like the character is a valid reason.

People like you make me angry. Because you are he ons who enable Hollywood to make shitty adaptations and ruin other peoples characters.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:35 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:
Xyex wrote:
But its not a good movie. It blew chunks. But if you enjoyed that I'm sure this upcoming abortion will be right up your alley.
See? This is exactly what I was talking about. Here we have a perfect example of those "My opinion is fact and everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot, go away loser" posts I mentioned before. It was a good movie. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't good or enjoyable to other people.
Saying 98 Godzilla was a piece of shit is hardly a minority opinon.
Opinion. Opinion. Once more? Ok, opinion. The way you and supposedly the majority of other people felt about this movie is an opinion. Don't try to pass it off as fact. It's the people that do this that make me angry.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:03 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:
Xyex wrote: See? This is exactly what I was talking about. Here we have a perfect example of those "My opinion is fact and everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot, go away loser" posts I mentioned before. It was a good movie. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't good or enjoyable to other people.
Saying 98 Godzilla was a piece of shit is hardly a minority opinon.
Opinion. Opinion. Once more? Ok, opinion. The way you and supposedly the majority of other people felt about this movie is an opinion. Don't try to pass it off as fact. It's the people that do this that make me angry.
Oh my fafcking god. Yes it is an opinon. Jesus fucking Christ. You ever notice its only idiots that need to trot that out. oh wait thats an opinon too.

So lets try for facts. A whole bunch of people (including Toho studios) consider the Sony Godzilla fucking awful. You know what they can do? They can explain why they feel that way. I like some shit that other people dislike. I think Rocky V is a decent movie. But you know what I do when people question that? I don't whine about how its my opinon. I explain why I like it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:30 pm

And we're done.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::