Holy God...if you hate the Funi dub, you'll really hate this

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:13 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:39 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Some of the lines were funny, though

Goku: He doesn't realize that their are still 60 episodes left!

Freeza: I can't stand when people laugh at me. They're my sissy things.
Vegeta: OH...MY...GOD!

Goku: Quick! Defensive position!

Goku (when seeing Yakon): It's Miss Portugal '97!

Puipui: Don't make me laugh 'cause I got large lips!

Old Kai: Kick 'I'm in the ass!

Kid Buu: You keep calling me, baby!

Krillin (when 19 got his arms ripped off): He became handicapped!

Vegeta: The little starving guy (17)?! The girl (18)? Or the fat guy (16)?!

Piccolo (firing a blast at Cell): Suck it, froggy!!!!

King Kai: Call the firefighters! The Earth is going to explode!

SSJ2 Gohan (to Cell): The women got crazy.

Cell (when vomiting 18): I HATE VOMITING!

Vegeta (beating up Yajirobe): A little more musical notes! It's what you get for attacking me! Okay, that's good!

Vegeta: Because of the nerves, I'm changing my voice again!

Vegeta: What a waste of time, you didn't even change hair color

Super Buu: Are you two still dating?!
Vegeta: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
Super Buu: Do you guys want lipstick?
:lol: That sounds like an abridged series. :lol:

EDIT:
Super Buu: Are you two still dating?!
Vegeta: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
Super Buu: Do you guys want lipstick?
That one in particular is pure win.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:31 pm

Captain Ginyu: Opera Singer.

Daburcor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daburcor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:05 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:These Portuguese voices sound like a team of opera vocalist when they're trying to talk normally.
Please don't denigrate opera by comparing it to this... What did it ever do to you to deserve THAT? :lol:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5j_vmyOaQ]There's many things I'll never know for sure...[/url]

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:29 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Captain Ginyu: Opera Singer.
Ginyu is not alone. Dodoria and General Blue also sound like opera singers in this dub. :|

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:40 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
DB_Fan wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote: Anyway, back on topic Yakon AKA "Miss Portugal '97" made me laugh, are these actually taken from the episodes, or was someone just screwing around?
They are really taken from the episodes. This is the dub I watched my whole life. :lol:
Oh man, really? In that case.... yowch. You have my sympathies.
Yep, the Funi dub has nothing on this one.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:19 pm

"He doesn't realize there are only 60 episodes left" was totally full of win. I loved this immensely. Suddenly, "I hope you're both wearing clean underwear!" doesn't seem quite as bad. Cheers! :lol:

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:21 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:"He doesn't realize there are only 60 episodes left" was totally full of win. I loved this immensely. Suddenly, "I hope you're both wearing clean underwear!" doesn't seem quite as bad. Cheers! :lol:
I didn't get that one but I still liked it. : P
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:17 pm

Here's the Portuguese DBZ opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuC-5hDEb0M . The song is pretty weird, doesn't really fit the DBZ mood at all, it reminds me of the They Might Be Giants laid back style of singing.

I wonder if this one was used throughout the entire series, because it seems odd that all of the video clips are from the Majin Buu Arc.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:02 am

Wow... Americans' complaints seems petty after seeing this chunk of garbage! WOW!

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:40 am

The Portugese Sailor Moon dub swapped Luna and Artemis's genders.

This does not surprise.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:00 am

B-kun wrote:The Portugese Sailor Moon dub swapped Luna and Artemis's genders.

This does not surprise.

Wha?! :shock:

I'm guessing by doing so it makes that one Sailor Moon movie with the astronaut seem much more confusing as Luna transforms into a human in that one.

Did they switch Diana's gender too?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Dizrythmia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dizrythmia » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:09 am

Pain wrote:
Dizrythmia wrote:I have Dragonball movie 2 as a VERY poor English dub from Malaysia (so I was told). The voices are constantly drowned out by the music, Kamesennin is called "Master Martin", Krillin is "Mohan" & other names have changed as well... I'll stop there as I can't remember much of it (I do own it, but I've only watched it once).

It makes Funimation look like they've done the series justice with their dub.
They're(FUNi) better than most other English dubs of anime(Pokemon and 4Kids One Piece).
I realise this (my girlfriend LOVES Pokemon & we have all the DVDs), but I wasn't a fan of the movie 2 dub. I don't know if it was my TV or what, but I found the spoken lines to be very "dull" sounding (for want of a better word).

Overall I wasn't TOO disappointed with Dragonball's dub. There were some parts I took issue with such as Kamesennin & Oolong's discussion outside the tournament arena while they wait for Goku (after training with Kami). In the dub they say something about Oolong's ears being too big or something, & from memory they're talking about their "magazine collection" in the Japanese version.

Other than that I thought it was a huge step up from Dragonball Z.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:27 am

Dizrythmia wrote:Overall I wasn't TOO disappointed with Dragonball's dub. There were some parts I took issue with such as Kamesennin & Oolong's discussion outside the tournament arena while they wait for Goku (after training with Kami). In the dub they say something about Oolong's ears being too big or something, & from memory they're talking about their "magazine collection" in the Japanese version.
There are still quite a few things like that in the DragonBall dub, despite the dialog being overall much more faithful to the original. My personal favorite change is this conversation Goku has with the Mouse family (the one he runs into during the filler training for the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai). Originally, Goku mentions that he is training under Kami (which is to say God), and the Mouse kids all start talking about what they think God is like. In the dub, Goku says he is training under Popo, and the kids go into an extremely bizzare conversation about a squirrel named Popo and his family. Or something like that. It's very strange.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:31 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:Here's the Portuguese DBZ opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuC-5hDEb0M . The song is pretty weird, doesn't really fit the DBZ mood at all, it reminds me of the They Might Be Giants laid back style of singing.

I wonder if this one was used throughout the entire series, because it seems odd that all of the video clips are from the Majin Buu Arc.
They used the same intro with clips of the Freeza Saga throughout the entire series.
Chuquita wrote:
B-kun wrote:The Portugese Sailor Moon dub swapped Luna and Artemis's genders.

This does not surprise.

Wha?! :shock:

I'm guessing by doing so it makes that one Sailor Moon movie with the astronaut seem much more confusing as Luna transforms into a human in that one.

Did they switch Diana's gender too?
Diana was kept as female.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:13 am

Herms wrote:
Dizrythmia wrote:Overall I wasn't TOO disappointed with Dragonball's dub. There were some parts I took issue with such as Kamesennin & Oolong's discussion outside the tournament arena while they wait for Goku (after training with Kami). In the dub they say something about Oolong's ears being too big or something, & from memory they're talking about their "magazine collection" in the Japanese version.
There are still quite a few things like that in the DragonBall dub, despite the dialog being overall much more faithful to the original. My personal favorite change is this conversation Goku has with the Mouse family (the one he runs into during the filler training for the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai). Originally, Goku mentions that he is training under Kami (which is to say God), and the Mouse kids all start talking about what they think God is like. In the dub, Goku says he is training under Popo, and the kids go into an extremely bizzare conversation about a squirrel named Popo and his family. Or something like that. It's very strange.

Oh yeah, I hate stupid changes like that. A lot of the jokes in "The Saga of Goku" were changed too. I own the madman release which is supposed to be "uncut", so much for that... :roll:
Trans rights, now!

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:25 am

SonEric84 wrote: Oh yeah, I hate stupid changes like that. A lot of the jokes in "The Saga of Goku" were changed too. I own the madman release which is supposed to be "uncut", so much for that... :roll:
FUNimation's definition of "uncut" is that no visual content is edited out, if your definition of "uncut" is a dub script completely faithful to the original, then FUNimation are yet to release something "uncut".

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:20 am

This is actually the kind of dub thats so bad it's good to me. I would love to have this kind of voice acting/script in English. Just because it's hilarious. :lol:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:24 am

Big Momma wrote:This is actually the kind of dub thats so bad it's good to me. I would love to have this kind of voice acting/script in English. Just because it's hilarious. :lol:
You and me both. "Quick! Defensive Position!" and "No, Mamamia! No!" and Kid Buu's "You keep calling me, Baby!" I actually wouldn't mind watching DBZ like this, considering the fact that, it's funny and you can always go back and watch the English and/or Japanese versions.

Also, what's with Super Buu, he sounds like a retarded Borat.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:56 pm

"Sometimes my brain doesn't know what my mouth is saying...good thing my heart does."

From Goku...to Chichi...proposing...like that...

Whuh?