DB Cosplay

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

DB Cosplay

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:38 pm

Know it's probably been done before, but any of you guys ever come across any interesting DB cosplayers in real life? Myself, though I have yet to cosplay any DB characters, though am considering doing Goku or Mr. Satan, thought I'd share some pics I've taken, if that's ok:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w77/ ... con115.jpg

Came across this Trunks at Kumoricon, as well as a Goku who had the staff but not the hair:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w77/ ... con030.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w77/ ... g_0019.jpg

This GT Goku was kinda chill.

And though not quite DB, but was glad to see Arale here:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w77/ ... con337.jpg

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:03 pm

That first Goku looks like he was cosplaying as Monkey boy from the magic begins.
The only DB cosplay I have seen in person is that girl in the north east who always dresses as No. 18, I think she was on a podcast a while ago.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:24 pm

I saw an amazing Majin Buu from like last year that soeone sold on ebay.

I know DBZ is FROM japan and most cosplay-ers are japanese but i always have a little laugh within myself bc most of the chars are obviously white - id say "american" but some people take offense to that.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:37 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:I know DBZ is FROM Japan and most cosplay-ers are Japanese, but I always have a little laugh within(?) myself b/c most of the characters are obviously white - I'd say "American", but some people take offense to that.
I really don't see why people would take offense to being called American... unless they're not American. Besides, if you're referring to "white" people, why would you call them American and not European? Just because you're an American, doesn't mean you're "white". There are plenty of other races besides Caucasians in America, and to be fair, even in Europe.

I know, I'm an ass.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:46 pm

The world would be Caucasian. ;)

"American" doesn't refer to a racial background, just a cultural and spacial one. =p

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:52 pm

If your gonna get technical then the correct termonology would be "US citizen" because "American" could refer to a person from South America too.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:53 pm

Okay then, besides Uub and Mr. Popo most all the DragonBall Z characters look like white people.

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:03 pm

I've been cosplaying Pic at AnimeUSA and Katsucon since 02, but I'm still tryna make it better and all the pictures that've been takes on me suck.

As for finding other cosplayers? It's a sad lonley journey. I've found an 18, a Krillian, a Son with three different foam hairstyles he was carrying around, a Trunks and a Sayiaman. No more that two at any one con > < But I'm always greeted well, no snide commentary about the show- just bright laughs and callouts and pictures and such. People still love Dragonball.

On the topic- does anyone know a good paint to use? I've mainly used plain old halloween makeup but that bleeds something terrible and flakes off and looks bad after a few minutres. I'm thinking about actual professional bodypaint but I don't know what kind or where to pick it up. Anybody got an idea?
Last edited by Velasa on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:11 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:If your gonna get technical then the correct termonology would be "US citizen" because "American" could refer to a person from South America too.
It can't be "US citizen". That's rude to the citizens of the United States of Mexico.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:15 pm

I wish that in Dragon Ball cosplaying that you could do it without it looking so bad :?. IDK it seems like cosplaying a DB character is impossible to do in a good manner.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Vivisection

Post by Vivisection » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:16 pm

There was a great Muten Roshi wandering around at this year's Otakon:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2ib280j.jpg

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:17 pm

It's just hard to translate DragonBall into a look suitable on real people. Fortunately, there are alternatives. :D
Vivisection wrote:There was a great Muten Roshi wandering around at this year's Otakon:

I think that's the same guy I met.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Rocketman wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:If your gonna get technical then the correct termonology would be "US citizen" because "American" could refer to a person from South America too.
It can't be "US citizen". That's rude to the citizens of the United States of Mexico.
(Shakes fist angrily!) Citizen of the United States of America, sheesh.

Anyways, in general I try to stay away from cosplaying because I've never seen a costume that actually turned out looking good.[/i]
Last edited by SSJ2bardock on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:It's just hard to translate DragonBall into a look suitable on real people. Fortunately, there are alternatives. :D
Vivisection wrote:There was a great Muten Roshi wandering around at this year's Otakon:

I think that's the same guy I met.
You're Goku is a freaking beast. It reminds me of the Chatwin Goku...

...in a good way! :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
(Shakes fist angrily!) Citizen of the United States of America, sheesh.

Anyways, in general I try to stay away from cosplaying because I've never seen a costume that actually turned out looking good.[/i]
That's because people who aren't interested in cosplay generaly only link to bad pics to laugh at them. There's plenty of good cosplayers, but they get mostly ignored due to the overwealming amount of bad cosplayers.
Last edited by Taku128 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
­

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:35 pm

I don't make fun of them, I'm just saying I'm hard to please :P
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:37 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:I don't make fun of them, I'm just saying I'm hard to please :P
I wasn't trying to sugest that, but generaly when somebody sees a picture of cosplay, the person showing it to them is showing it because its bad. You'd be the person being shown the picture, not the person showing it to someone else. :P
­

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:38 pm

I don't cosplay because I generally don't want to go to the effort that would make it look good. Also, frankly, there are things at the con that I want to spend money on. I'd rather not cut into that cash with costume money.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:40 pm

I think when it comes to cosplay you have to roll with your looks,
if you're a fat African American male with no hair and a missing leg, you just have to ask yourself "Is Sailor Moon really the costume for me?"
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:41 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:I don't cosplay because I generally don't want to go to the effort that would make it look good.
Yep, I actually did consider cosplaying Sanosuke before but then I realized it'd be a lot of work and gave up.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ