Episode #0149 (12 October 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0149 (12 October 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:49 pm

Episode #0149 (download MP3) (rss feed)
70:39; 64 kbps, mono; 32.3 MB

Episode #0149! VegettoEX, Meri, and Jeff tackle volume twenty in our "Manga Review of Awesomeness". Toriyama has hit full-on-action in the Saiya-jin arc, and perhaps the story has hit its stride. Lots of random news bits, some e-mails, and a look to the future round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the kinda nice *one-hundred-forty-nine* episodes, now.

While we couldn't line things up with Julian (our schedule is, needless to say, all over the place this month), we were at least able to get one monster episode out before a little break!

w0rd.
Last edited by VegettoEX on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:57 pm

Downloading.

Yay! This is my all time favorite volume, can't wait to hear the review.

EDIT: Or, I would be downloading, but it's not on iTunes yet. :cry:
Last edited by Ex-Dubbie369 on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:00 pm

I think you mean the kinda nice *one-hundred-forty-nine* episodes. Can't wait to listen though.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:46 pm

It ain't post on the website yet. But I'll grab on iTunes. 8)
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:47 pm

I can't get it on iTunes yet :(
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:57 pm

disturbed001 wrote:I can't get it on iTunes yet :(
Oh! You're right. Well, just get on the feed! :wink:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:58 pm

I always highly enjoy these episodes. The next volume is really one I'm going to be looking forward to hearing. Jeff's opinion is also always fun to hear, it's exciting to see a clueless newbie go through the ropes.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:02 pm

Yeah, I'm having some server issues right now, so the feed isn't updated / website isn't updated. It'll be there in due time.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Yeah, I'm having some server issues right now, so the feed isn't updated / website isn't updated. It'll be there in due time.
Cool, thanks. By the way, I sent you a message. But don't worry about answering back or anything. :wink:

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:02 pm

Ah, Temple o Trunks: The Site for 5 year olds. Julian Repopulating Japan..

Awesome Episode.

Thanks for reading my Email!

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:26 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:32 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Well there were at least two others beforehand; Son Goku and Jackie Chun’s Kamehameha clash in the 21st Budokai, as well as Son Goku and Piccolo Ma Junior’s Cho Kamehameha beam struggle in the 23rd Budokai.
Argh, you're right. Not sure why I forgot those, especially since I basically splooge all over the 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai...

Thanks!

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:43 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:17 am

Wasn't the gland thing only in the Viz version? I believe it was stated that the "tail" reacted to the Bruits Waves (green-spectrum radiation lawl.) Although, a "gland" in the tail does seem plausible as being the specific trigger of the mutation. Meh, semantics.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:35 am

YES Bring Back Meri's top 5!!! I miss having a list every podcast; I miss them so.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:49 am

Good podcast guys! You can't go wrong with the Goku vs. Vegeta. :)

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:39 am

About Gohan's tail..doesn't Goku's tail grow back suddenly when he first fights Giran or something in one of the Budokais? It could just be me..it's been a long time since I've seen those episodes. -.-

BTW..nice avatar Forgotten Hero. Looks mighty familiar.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:01 am

I honestly thought I was the ONLY PERSON in the world who actually called the Awesome Bar the Awesome Bar.

That naming convention ALONE makes me love Firefox over the now suddenly-actually-improving IE, and the up-and-coming Chrome.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:48 am

The new Dr. Slump video game is actually called “Dr. Slump Arale-chan”, like the name of the anime, and not “Dr. Slump & Arale-chan”. I’m not really sure why Play.Asia put the “&” in.

All of the material in tankoubon 21 is contained in kanzenban volume 17, and tankoubon 20 is in 16-17.
Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:Wasn't the gland thing only in the Viz version? I believe it was stated that the "tail" reacted to the Bruits Waves (green-spectrum radiation lawl.) Although, a "gland" in the tail does seem plausible as being the specific trigger of the mutation. Meh, semantics.
I didn’t hear anything about a gland in the snippit from the anime that was played in the episode.

They also said something about Vegeta making a “bad joke about being the one to bury them” or something like that, and I don’t remember that at all. Is that another thing Viz added in, or is my memory just failing me (ugh…I hate not being able to check my manga...)?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:49 am

Well, I'm definitely awake after that. :D

You know, now that I think of it. I think I appreciate these detailed blow-for-blow descriptions of the fights way more than when I actually saw them in the anime. Though, even though I could see it well enough to pick up some traces of Toriyama's style, the sort of action in DB/Z was vaguely confusing to keep up with under my existing limitations. I'm trying to remember how much of the Buu saga I'd seen by the time I stopped bothering to look at the screen... Although come to think of it, even when I could see well enough to make sense of the images I didn't actually look all that often (I payed more attention to dramatic closeups in the Namek arc than anything).

Meh. The reason I got off on that tangent was because Goku/Vegeta fights have never really given me that "!!!!" sense of excitement that they seem to give everyone else, though the way you handled it this episode kinda helped cement the first one as awesome for me. (Honestly, during Goku and Majin Vegeta's fight I was more interested in what Goten and Trunks were doing. Gohan and Kaioshin going after Babidi had its moments, but since it was pretty obvious what would happen and how much time there was before it... Meh.).
After watching the Piccolo Daimao saga for the first time about two and a half years ago (and very little but the movies since... :( ), I like Yajirobe a bit more, so with this being his *cough* shining display of teamwork was pretty awesome.
Vegeta is a lot more likable in this part of the story as well. I think I've mentioned it before, but until I was told that Vegeta would be returning for the post-Freeza stuff, I wasn't counting on having to deal with him anymore. And then we get the character-melting combination of Vegeta's messed up atitude in the Cell Saga with Criss Sabbat's portrayal... and yeah. I don't like Main Character Vegeta and his egoism.

I find it interesting that in the Nappa fight, we had everyone going after him Legends-style and nothing successful happened and everyone but Gohan and Kuririn died. Then with Vegeta, who's three to five times stronger than Nappa, we have everyone going after him far more successfully (Granted, a lot of things were different; Gohan actually fighting seriously, the element of surprise, Goku and Vegeta both getting beat up from their part of the fight, the way the environment was used (Yajirobe fought awefully ninja-like considering his samurai-ness... XD )).
And I think I like the Genkidama here more than its other uses (especially the movies, where the bloody thing saves the day three in a row, with variations in two other movies...). Here, it's not just another generic blast with a fancy name (There was absolutely nothing memorable about the Gyarlic ho itself; I'd've missed it completely had Trunks not reminded us of it in the Cell saga). It's not the huge ten-episode chargeathon that it becomes later, and guess what: it doesn't work (I wonder if Toei ever picked up on the success rate of that technique...). Heck, the Genkidama in this volume was effectively traded off between three people (Goku - Kuririn - Gohan). This is pretty much how I was introduced to the technique (through the Ocean/Saban/FUNi dub back in the day; I think I saw the training episode first, so the fact that it had some build up and still turned out like this was freaking awesome).
It's kinda funny, really. In the Nappa fight, only Goku could do anything (Kuririn and Gohan got a couple hits in, I guess...), while in the Vegeta fight, it's teamwork all the way other than Goku and Vegeta roughing each other up a bit at the start.

I think the Vegeta fight helps set up the directions the characters go in the next phase of the story rather well. We see Gohan realizing he can help, Kuririn kinda winds up with a lot of responsibility he hasn't been given before, and we've got Yajirobe's stepping into large-scale battles (he didn't really do that with Piccolo), and pretty much determines that, in fact, he doesn't particularly want to raise the stakes much higher.

'Course, this pretty much cements Goku, Gohan and Kuririn as the main characters, and since everyone else is dead and it takes a long time to get them back (though arguably this is kinda like the Red Ribbon arc in a sense?), it seems like things are just begging the "shafted humans club" that we eventually get. :(.

Tehehe. "Stop messing up my waveform!"
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).