Scenes from Dragonball series being re-drawn for HDTV

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wasted Wisher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Wasted Wisher » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:21 am

Wow, I'm surprised (and glad) that people are still replying to this topic. I was pretty sure it would disappear rather quickly.
Anyway, here's an update on the scenes being re-drawn for Dragonball.

- Right now, the project is still in its test phase. Personally, I hope it pushes through and becomes a regular project.
- As it turns out, the four test scenes given to us were for Dragonball Z. Here's hoping that if the project does fly, they give the same treatment to Dragonball.
- The scenes that were re-drawn were not restricted to just "special effects" scenes. That's good, because that means if the project does become regular, it means we'll be able to re-draw all sorts of scenes form the original shows.
- Since original drawings and cels have of course been disposed off long,long ago, the scenes are being re-drawn from video captures of the actual episodes.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:28 am

It's a shame...

If it happens, I doubt we would get a DVD release of it.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:53 am

I still don't understand, if what you say is the case, and some scenes are being re-drawn, what are they being re-drawn for?, some kind of tv special that looks back on moments in the show?

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:20 am

This may be a test run for Toei. They may want to do the whole series over again.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:54 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:It's a shame...

If it happens, I doubt we would get a DVD release of it.
What would the point of DVD release be? Blu Ray, Blu Ray!!

Wasted wisher: this project is to eventually sell Blu Ray discs, right?!

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:08 pm

Jeez, I hope not. I can't afford a Blu-Ray, and if some miracle I can, I wouldn't be able to afford the DVDs.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:01 pm

Raki wrote:This may be a test run for Toei. They may want to do the whole series over again.
That'd be the sex. Yes please.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:03 pm

Raki wrote:This may be a test run for Toei. They may want to do the whole series over again.
That would actually be pretty neat, and would likely get more consistent art styles this time.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
That would actually be pretty neat, and would likely get more consistent art styles this time.
If an ongoing anime series like Bleach doesn't have one consistent artist group, then I seriously doubt that Dragonball would be any different.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:09 pm

Pain wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
If an ongoing anime series like Bleach doesn't have one consistent artist group, then I seriously doubt that Dragonball would be any different.
I don't mean like "Same animation every episode", I am talking like "No more of that hideous "triangle man crap" art style."

Sure, they will have different animators for different episodes, but I am saying it will be better than the current series consistency wise. I don't think it would ever get as bad as the "triangle man crap" if they re-did it.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:14 pm

I would buy this on dvd.

*Holds out her wallet*.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:15 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Pain wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote: That would actually be pretty neat, and would likely get more consistent art styles this time.
I don't mean like "Same animation every episode", I am talking like "No more of that hideous "triangle man crap" art style."

Sure, they will have different animators for different episodes, but I am saying it will be better than the current series consistency wise. I don't think it would ever get as bad as the "triangle man crap" if they re-did it.
Oh, I understand. But if they re-did the series, wouldn't the seiyu have to re-do the episodes again? I think that they just might me a little too old to do that again. Think about it: it isn't '84 anymore, it's '09. :|

But there's only one great thing that could happen here: Toei could make better filler arcs. Y'know what I mean?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Pain wrote:But there's only one great thing that could happen here: Toei could make better filler arcs. Y'know what I mean?
Why the hell would you want that when they could remove all filler?

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:42 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Pain wrote:But there's only one great thing that could happen here: Toei could make better filler arcs. Y'know what I mean?
Why the hell would you want that when they could remove all filler?
Because it's always good to see something "new" in the anime. Isn't that what you guys want? I mean, the "Garlic Junior Hell Hole Saga" was a big mistake on Toei's part(Worst Filler Ever), but there can always be better filler...right? :P

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:48 pm

If they re-do the series, they have to re-do the driving exam episode in glorious HD. Even if they cut out all other filler.

Garlic Jr., the Anoyichi Tournament and half of the Freeza Saga can go to hell, though. Dump some of the Goku/Gohan training in the RoSaT as well. And Gohan's training in the wild, the robot, dinosaur and orphans episodes can all go. And Gohan's cliff adventures in episode 1.

Actually, let's scratch out Gohan from 90% of it. :D
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:52 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:Actually, let's scratch out Gohan from 90% of it. :D
... Are you Rocketman's secret lover?

Nah, he'd probably call for 100%... forgive my accusation.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:04 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
Sprite Satan is a Chi Chi blow-up doll?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Herms wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:
http://www.instantrimshot.com/

Snail

Post by Snail » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:07 pm

Herms wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:
Oh Herms you dawg.

*patiently awaits Rocketman's retort.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:12 pm

Do y'all think I'd be on the internet if I had one of those?