Does Cell say "Holy Shit" in the Japanese version?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Does Cell say "Holy Shit" in the Japanese version?

Post by DBHighDefinition » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:40 am

This is something that's really been bothering me, but on the new Remastered sets, Daimao's subs say "H- holy s-!" when Cell reacts to Vegeta's Final Flash. Now, i'm no expert in Japanese, but it seems to me that Cell doesn't stutter when saying it...leading me to wonder if FUNi asked Daimao not to put "Holy Shit". Is this correct, or am I getting a bit paranoid here. :o
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:48 am

Y'know, I saw someone edit that scene in the dub where he says "OH SHIT" as opposed to whatever Dameon Clarke actually says. Maybe he does say it.

Also, on the subject of the word, I remember watching fansubs of Sonic X, which is based on the Sonic the Hedgehog games, where Sonic actually says "shit," and the subtitles say it too, making me think there isn't a Japanese word "equivalent" to "shit."

What did it sound like Cell was saying?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:50 am

He kinda says "S- SHUT!!"
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:52 am

I call censorship on FUNimation's part then.

UNCUT MY ASS HUR HUR
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:04 am

Heres a video ripped from my DVD:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VQ3W0A5X

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:39 am

If I remember right, what Cell says in Japanese is shi-shimatta or something similiar. Which is basically "damn it", "shit", or anything else you say when something you didn't want to happen happens.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:53 am

I've been kinda wondering about 'shimatta'... is that taking 'shimau' and using it crudely (well, and in the past tense)? One of those instances where the swear-ness isn't the deciding factor of translation?
(Well, and this seems a case where Cell wouldn't use actual profanity... just seems a bit out of character, but if shimatta functions as I'm thinking, there's no problem. Though he certainly does start swearing up a storm of frustration later... XD ).

"Holy crap!" ... Kami no kuso?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:58 am

caejones wrote:I've been kinda wondering about 'shimatta'... is that taking 'shimau' and using it crudely (well, and in the past tense)?
That's what I've always assumed, but I'm not sure if I've seen that officially written anywhere.
One of those instances where the swear-ness isn't the deciding factor of translation?
I don't really understand what you mean.
"Holy crap!" ... Kami no kuso?
Seinaru kuso? Of course, nobody actually says that.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:18 am

I don't think Funimation has much of a problem with cursing. I got the YYH season sets, and at one point, shit is used in the dub, with the damn, bitch, and others showing up fairly frequently. I think it's the German version where Cell is "Oh shit!"
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:45 am

Mewzard wrote:I don't think Funimation has much of a problem with cursing. I got the YYH season sets, and at one point, shit is used in the dub, with the damn, bitch, and others showing up fairly frequently. I think it's the German version where Cell is "Oh shit!"
Yes. The German dub and the manga translation are full of stupid cursing and insulting, which don't fit the characters. Cell even calls Gohan an asshole.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:05 am

Timo wrote:Yes. The German dub and the manga translation are full of stupid cursing and insulting, which don't fit the characters.
Cursing when seeing a titanic blast of death heading straight for you - not appropriate.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:09 am

Rocketman wrote:
Timo wrote:Yes. The German dub and the manga translation are full of stupid cursing and insulting, which don't fit the characters.
Cursing when seeing a titanic blast of death heading straight for you - not appropriate.
Just ask TFS DBZ Abridged Nappa.
Though "crap" works for me. The s-word is an insult to feces, goshdarnit! :mad:

I couldn't help but notice the lack of a "Cell calls Gohan an asshole" response in your response...
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:15 am

caejones wrote: Though "crap" works for me. The s-word is an insult to feces, goshdarnit! :mad:
....uuuuhh....you have a thing for fecal matter?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:29 am

NeptuneKai wrote:
caejones wrote: Though "crap" works for me. The s-word is an insult to feces, goshdarnit! :mad:
....uuuuhh....you have a thing for fecal matter?
... Shutup. :evil:
(... Dr. Slump. Dragonball. 'nough said. XD )

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:41 am

They have the word "shit" twice on my Dragon Ball Collection 8 DVD, so I'd say they don't have a huge issue with it.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:10 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:They have the word "shit" twice on my Dragon Ball Collection 8 DVD, so I'd say they don't have a huge issue with it.
What is Dragon Ball Collection 8? Bootleg...? :shock:

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:25 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:They have the word "shit" twice on my Dragon Ball Collection 8 DVD, so I'd say they don't have a huge issue with it.
What is Dragon Ball Collection 8? Bootleg...? :shock:
Actually, yes. They're the ones that look like the dbox on the outside; I have one myself. Never continued purchasing them though, as I realized it was fake.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Satan-Sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Satan-Sama » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Timo wrote:
Mewzard wrote:I don't think Funimation has much of a problem with cursing. I got the YYH season sets, and at one point, shit is used in the dub, with the damn, bitch, and others showing up fairly frequently. I think it's the German version where Cell is "Oh shit!"
Yes. The German dub and the manga translation are full of stupid cursing and insulting, which don't fit the characters. Cell even calls Gohan an asshole.
I can just picture it- Cell, after getting punched by SSJ2 Gohan, whining "hey asshole, stop beating me up!"
KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!
AND HE IS LOOKING MONDO COOL!
SO DON'T BE CRAMPIN' HIS STYLE!

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Translations aren't an exact science, and I can vouch that for Japanese to English on a personal level.

adding a stutter may simply have been a stylistic choice based on the circumstances of the situation in which it was said.

The subtitled track of DB/DBZ is completely uncensored save for the first two DVD volumes "Ginyu Assault" and "Goku is Ginyu and Ginyu is Goku" which censored damn to darn, but either due to FUNimation growing a pair, or fanwide demand every DVD since those two have had a perfectly uncut subtitled track.
-Laserkid

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:12 pm

Yusuke's more of a foul-mouthed punk in the dub than he is in the Japanese version. (Owns entire anime, though hasn't watched last two seasons in Japanese).

And though I have yet to see the scene you speak of, perhaps it's more of cut-off how sometimes you say the phrase, but don't complete it for some reason.