Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 am

Or maybe it'll have a new ending at the Freeza saga, kind of like Mr Toriyama originally intended. That would be interesting, anyway.
Maybe. Wasn't Goku originally meant to die, along with other characters staying dead or something?

I don't think my fragile heart could take that.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:56 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
Or maybe it'll have a new ending at the Freeza saga, kind of like Mr Toriyama originally intended. That would be interesting, anyway.
Maybe. Wasn't Goku originally meant to die, along with other characters staying dead or something?

I don't think my fragile heart could take that.
Sounds about right.

My heart could probably take it either way, but...since they'd just be spending eternity mooching off of Kaio-sama, it's hard to feel bad for them. Death in Dragon Ball doesn't have any meaning any more.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:58 am

Bussani wrote:Or maybe it'll have a new ending at the Freeza saga, kind of like Mr Toriyama originally intended. That would be interesting, anyway.
If it were intended for fans like us, maybe, but my hunch is that this will just be a crowd-pleaser aimed at kids who may not even be aware of, or care about that fact.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:00 am

Acid_Reign wrote:
Bussani wrote:Or maybe it'll have a new ending at the Freeza saga, kind of like Mr Toriyama originally intended. That would be interesting, anyway.
If it were intended for fans like us, maybe, but my hunch is that this will just be a crowd-pleaser aimed at kids who may not even be aware of, or care about that fact.
It's never stopped anime from ignoring a manga and making up it's own ending before. If they were to end the series early, that's the way they usually do it.

But who knows? It's just a thought.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:01 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
Well, that's how the common rumor goes. But it's all bullshit.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:01 am

Sounds about right.

My heart could probably take it either way, but...since they'd just be spending eternity mooching off of Kaio-sama, it's hard to feel bad for them. Death in Dragon Ball doesn't have any meaning any more.
Yeah, I guess.

The only death that really has any meaning was No. 16. For me, that scene in the anime is one of my all time favourites.
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:10 am

This sounds great. A re-edit of DBZ. I actually can't wait to see this. I am pretty sure FUNI will be all over this. If so, there will be a Blu ray on the way, w00t! A True HD remastered DBZ Blu ray, a first of its kind.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 am

Bussani wrote:It's never stopped anime from ignoring a manga and making up it's own ending before. If they were to end the series early, that's the way they usually do it.

But who knows? It's just a thought.
Yeah, I understand the reasoning behind it, I just don’t think it’s likely when the series has long been past the whole “stops at Freeza” thing, and doing so would be more of a let-down than a “yeaahh!!” moment for most audience members.

Plus, I think that once one gets to Freeza, there tends to be this anticipation that Cell and Boo are sure to follow. So, I suppose they could always stop at something neutral, like the Saiyan Saga, which is brief but not without its meaty scenes… Raditz vs. Goku and Piccolo, The Z crew vs. Nappa, Goku vs. Vegeta, Oozaru, etc… I’d say that may be enough eye candy to quell the fans without getting too far involved in the storyline.

But, the real question is: how much does 100 episodes in the existing series actually comprise? What are some start and end episodes with that range? Even if they cut out filler, it’d still be a good gauge of how much ground they hope cover, especially since they are literally recycling footage.
Last edited by Acid_Reign on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:14 am

FYI, Toei is going to release their first Blu-ray, Gegege No Kirarou this year. So I guess that They're planning to release the Blu-ray of this new DBZ by theirselves.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:19 am

Acid_Reign wrote: But, the real question is: how much does 100 episodes in the existing series actually comprise? What are some start and end episodes with that range? Even if they cut out filler, it’d still be a good gauge of how much ground they hope cover, especially since they are literally recycling footage.

I am wondering this too. And one can only hope the editing is not too distracting. But, if they Garlic Jr. stuff is left on the cutting floor, I surely won't mind.
kei17 wrote: FYI, Toei is going to release their first Blu-ray, Gegege No Kirarou this year. So I guess that They're planning to release the Blu-ray of this new DBZ by theirselves.

True, but I don't think Toei will be like Bandai Visual and add English Subtitles. Only reason why I have the Blu rays for the Ghost in the Shell discs.
Last edited by Krycek7o2 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:20 am

Hm....

100 episodes?

Interesting!

It will by no means replace the original series for me, no matter what they do. But I am curious as to what they're planning to do. It seems like they're using the original animation, so it seems like some sort of streamlining without having to do too much actual work(as in less than making a whole new series!).

I'm somewhat ambivalent, I guess. New but old Dragon Ball? Years of Funimation have made me wary of people messing with what never was broken in the first place.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:23 am

Maybe 100 episodes is just a guess, if they haven't started editing yet.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:27 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Years of Funimation have made me wary of people messing with what never was broken in the first place.
The Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z anime are quite broken. I don't see how taking out the filler is going to hurt a thing.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Years of Funimation have made me wary of people messing with what never was broken in the first place.
The Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z anime are quite broken. I don't see how taking out the filler is going to hurt a thing.
Ah, I don't think the Dragon Ball filler was so bad. Other than the stuff at the end.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:39 am

Acid_Reign wrote:But, the real question is: how much does 100 episodes in the existing series actually comprise? What are some start and end episodes with that range? Even if they cut out filler, it’d still be a good gauge of how much ground they hope cover, especially since they are literally recycling footage.
The start of Z up until the end of Freeza is 107 episodes, the android stuff is 77 episodes, and then Buu is 92.
Kingdom Heartless wrote:Maybe 100 episodes is just a guess, if they haven't started editing yet.
The post Kei quoted did say "about 100 episodes", so it seems that way.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:40 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:

I hear that! as far as I'm concerned if this turns out how I'm imagining, in with the new and out with the old!

About 100 episodes!? I'm so fucking stoked guys.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:46 am

Does anyone here know exactly how many episodes are filler?

I'll go through it, but I couldn't be certain about all of them, as I haven't yet read all of the manga (I know.... I'm a disgrace!! :( ).

For now, I'll just go through the ones that I know are filler.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm not knowledgable enough to do this. But from what I could work out.... there really is a buttload they could take out.

SweetCosmicPope
Beyond Newbie

Post by SweetCosmicPope » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:58 am

Everyone else seems quite excited, but I'm honestly quite miffed.

Maybe not quite miffed, in that I just have mixed feelings. I love the idea of anything new, relating to Dragonball. It keeps the show fresh in people's minds, and makes the chances of us getting even more new stuff much more likely. And I'm certainly interested to see it.

However, they're messing with a good thing. They are essentially doing the same thing that Funi did, except that since they are the original animators, we're giving them not only slack, but encouragement and excitement.

EDIT: I mean, would we encourage Leonardo DaVinci to alter "The Last Supper?"

I'm just not so sure. It seems they should either:
A) Leave well-enough alone, and just make a new series.
B) Make a new full-length movie.
C) "Reimagine" the series, or make an alternate universe series.

Any of those would have me much more excited. However, any news is good news, when it's related to Dragonball, right?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:05 pm

SweetCosmicPope wrote:I'm just not so sure. It seems they should either:
A) Leave well-enough alone, and just make a new series.
B) Make a new full-length movie.
C) "Reimagine" the series, or make an alternate universe series.
I believe that Toei will do that if this "refreshed" DBZ succeeds.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:11 pm

OMFG...this is....OMFG.....::hyperventilates::

:D :) :o :shock: :lol: :twisted: :) :D :)