Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:55 am

Chuquita wrote:I realize that most of my recent posts in this thread have been purely links-to-weekly-Kai-ratings-in-Japan, and have since mostly stopped doing this, but holy cow Kai came in THIRD PLACE in the latest rankings. :shock:
And I can't just ignore that; it's way too amazing. I have to post.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -29-july-5
I keep forgetting how far behind ANN is getting with the TV rankings. They're always like two weeks behind, but are finally starting to catch back up again. Last weeks TV rankings have been out for a week now, literally, and they even skipped the week before that.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:29 pm

Holy shiznit the Dream 9 hour is dominating. I hope this does lead Toei to do more movies and specials for DBK. It would be sweet to see full length movies in new animation like the Jump special.
Aka gtadbzman.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Chuquita wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I realize that most of my recent posts in this thread have been purely links-to-weekly-Kai-ratings-in-Japan, and have since mostly stopped doing this, but holy cow Kai came in THIRD PLACE in the latest rankings. :shock:
And I can't just ignore that; it's way too amazing. I have to post.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -29-july-5

It beat out series like Doraemon, One Piece, and Chibi Maruko-chan.

Craziness.

*Pokes at Toei to make another new db special in the stylings of "Ossu!".* :3
You really love "Ossu!" very much, don't you? ^_^

Yes. X3
Between Goku's melancholy and him going out of his way to irritate Vegeta as some hilarious 'Be-careful-what-you-wish-for' retribution for Vegeta's obsession with him over the years, the Son family daikon farm, Mark's ridiculously over-the-top hotel, Gohan manipulating Goku into wanting to go to the party, the fact that Vegeta has a brother and never told anyone about it, an actual Vegeta-and-Bulma argument ("marital quarrel" X3 ), the hammer-space frying-pans being made canon, Launch actually meeting Vegeta in an indirect way, and 'Hey Vegeta look over there!'; I had so much enjoyment from it.

It really makes me want a sequel, series, or just another new db special in general.

I can make that happen. After all, I own Toei Animation right here in America. :lol:

*Ahem* I have to agree with you. We should treat that Jump special as if it were special. We havent seen new TV special premired for over 12 years. I really wish they made it 50 minutes in runtime instead of 35... Who knows what kind of new powerful villian will Toei create that makes Goku feel like a crap? Perhaps an immortal Saiyan who was the first Saiyan to become Legendary Super Saiyan, a hint made by Vegeta in Namek saga?
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:54 pm

I want a Dream9 special. NOW. :D

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:06 pm

jda95 wrote:I want a Dream9 special. NOW. :D
Cross Epoch Animated.

It would make for some good One Piece filler (they're getting DANGEROUSLY close to the manga) and would be a Welcome change from the usual "Boss Luffy" Fillers.

Plus... It's CROSS EPOCH!! They'd have to expand the story a lot though... Maybe make Pilaf and Buggy an actual threat... include more villains... Maybe include Chopperman XD

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:18 pm

DemonRin wrote:
jda95 wrote:I want a Dream9 special. NOW. :D
Cross Epoch Animated.

It would make for some good One Piece filler (they're getting DANGEROUSLY close to the manga) and would be a Welcome change from the usual "Boss Luffy" Fillers.

Plus... It's CROSS EPOCH!! They'd have to expand the story a lot though... Maybe make Pilaf and Buggy an actual threat... include more villains... Maybe include Chopperman XD
Hey, I really like Boss Luffy!

But now I have so many ideas...... :lol:

EDIT: OH MY KAMI, 1000th POST!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:33 pm

I could totally go for some animated Cross Epoch. X3

Vegeta and his spaghettios cape. :lol:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:48 pm

Chuquita wrote:I could totally go for some animated Cross Epoch. X3

Vegeta and his spaghettios cape. :lol:
And horns. Don't forget the horns. :D

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:02 pm

Anybody else catch this Kanzentai update?

So in addition to Hujio's own questions, I'm wondering if--uninterrupted--the broadcast will manage to stay ahead of DVD release, because it seems like a whole lot of home video releases are going to be happening...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:09 pm

I can't believe people are being forced to buy the Blu-Ray if they want the full 4:3 picture. And of course I am still puzzled why they are releasing the first three episodes as a standalone DVD that fits into the box.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:14 pm

Dang man... I have to buy Blu-ray Volume #1 and Box #1. Is Toei gone crazy now?

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:16 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Dang man... I have to buy Blu-ray Volume #1 and Box #1. Is Toei gone crazy now?
I dunno... you tell us. :P

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:19 pm

jda95 wrote:I can't believe people are being forced to buy the Blu-Ray if they want the full 4:3 picture. And of course I am still puzzled why they are releasing the first three episodes as a standalone DVD that fits into the box.
They must really want our money. :shock:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:23 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
jda95 wrote:I can't believe people are being forced to buy the Blu-Ray if they want the full 4:3 picture. And of course I am still puzzled why they are releasing the first three episodes as a standalone DVD that fits into the box.
And how many times do we buy into it? Pretty much every time. We mustn't add fuel to Toei's seemingly never ending Dragon Ball furnace.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:30 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Perhaps they need our endless money so they can produce a new awesome DBZ movie about a new powerful villian that will make Goku feel like a crap again?

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:29 am

or howabout that the Major Draw of DBK Is the HD?

I know the Cutting of the filler is part of it, but DBK's MAIN draw is that it's HD. as far as Standard DVD goes. the draw of DBK would be, in part, the Widescreen since Anyone who wants Fullscreen Dragon Ball can buy the Dragon Box Singles.

So sense producing a set of 4:3 DBK DVDs that Toei is sure wont sell.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:39 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Dang man... I have to buy Blu-ray Volume #1 and Box #1. Is Toei gone crazy now?
Well, don't you own Toei? >_>

Thought so. ;)

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:44 am

Well, you don't have to. They're not exactly forcing you to buy them. If you only want the first three episodes, then just buy Volume #1. If you want the first 15 episodes, then buy both. It's your choice.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:24 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Perhaps they need our endless money so they can produce a new awesome DBZ movie about a new powerful villian that will make Goku feel like a crap again?
No, all DVDs are expensive from Japan.

Just one of the three Z Gundam box sets costs about $400, in the US it has two box sets out for about $40 each.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:29 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:
Well, don't you own Toei? >_>

Thought so. ;)

I was referring to Toei in Japan, not USA. Get a clue, you dimwit :wink: