Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:30 pm

Found some cool Kai stuff that was all new to me, so I'm posting it here. If any of this hase been posted here already, just let me know!

Proof that the first Kai promo we saw has been aired on Fuji TV (during Kai's planned airing slot no less):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNme15Gaf1w&fmt=18

And I think it's worth mentioning that Ghostlightning has his own twitter page, which may prove to be quite informational. I'm following!

http://twitter.com/ghostlightning

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:38 am

Tweaker wrote:Hey, I liked it. I think you guys are just spoiled by Kageyama's rockin' jams and consistency, so anything different to that is like a drastic change. I think it'll work out perfectly fine, though. ;)

Hell, there were a couple of parts where I almost thought that guy was Kageyama, what with the forceful vibrato and all. Not too shabby at all. :)
But that's just it. It's not just because I'm used to Kageyama doing the openings; I don't even have the same feeling from this as I do with Makafushigi Adventure (not done by Kageyama).

Still, most of us are willing to wait for a clearer sounding version to spring up or at least wait for the debut before passing full judgment.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:45 am

I think it's hard to judge something like that as an opening until you've seen it (and heard it) with the animation.

And even if not everyone likes the opening, I'm sure there will be a lot of good music used in the series.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:09 am

I think the new opening has potential, we just need to hear it recorded in good quality.
Trans rights, now!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:11 pm

Toriyama-sensei's latest illustration of Goku written "Kai" on his palm.

"I'm looking foward to seeing how the anime of Dragon Ball has been upgraded (Kairyou) in 2009!" Akira Toriyama

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:20 pm

Nice to see the old man commenting, but his art's getting more and more off xD

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Cool little sketch! Thanks Kei. :)

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:32 pm

Nice to see Toriyama's still doing some DB art. Is the whole kanji on the hand thing in connection to something? I remember Kishimoto doing a similar thing with one of the Naruto chapter covers.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:12 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Nice to see Toriyama's still doing some DB art. Is the whole kanji on the hand thing in connection to something?
The kanji on Goku's hand is "kai" (改), as in "DragonBall Kai" (ドラゴンボール 改).
sangofe wrote:Nice to see the old man commenting, but his art's getting more and more off xD
His art style has changed over the years, and it does look a little "off" when compared to his art style while drawing DragonBall. But I think if you compare it to his recently drawn material, it's right on.

I like it! Thanks Kei.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Yeah, I got that much, but I was wondering if the pose with the kanji painted on the hand was a reference to anything, since I've seen it done with other anime out there like Naruto.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:34 pm

Off? I'd say his artwork's gotten more "mature." It's gotten a lot better. Sorta like how you could compare Eiichiro Oda's drawings of One Piece now to how they were back when he started.

I'm really digging Toriyama's recent style, as well as his new coloring methods.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:36 pm

Awesome! Thank you kei17!

This is the first Dragonball art Toriyama has drawn since the artwork for the "Rule" single, right?

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:41 pm

That's a great drawing. It is definitely in Toriyama's more recent style, so it almost looks like really high quality fan art. Mr. Announcer's art looks more like Toriyama's own work than his own work!

Anyway, the coloring is great, I wonder what type of pens and markers he used.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:44 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:This is the first Dragonball art Toriyama has drawn since the artwork for the "Rule" single, right?
Well, technically that wasn't "Dragon Ball" art; it was just a singer in the Kame gi. :P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:48 pm

I just looked up how much a 72 color set of Copic Markers cost, 375 bucks, ouch.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:57 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:This is the first Dragonball art Toriyama has drawn since the artwork for the "Rule" single, right?
Well, technically that wasn't "Dragon Ball" art; it was just a singer in the Kame gi. :P
Eh, a singer of a Dragonball piece (I'll admit, "Dragonball" is a bit of a stretch) in well known Dragonball clothing is good enough for me.

And besides, no one knows what the latest drawing before that was right? If so, that would be better.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:38 pm

He drew the cover for the recent "Super Exciting Guide." That was revealed after the drawing you mentioned.

I love Toriyama's new style, for what it's worth. I don't think I like his pupils that big, but that's hardly a complaint. I'm always too giddy from new Toriyama artwork to even care about comparing it anyway.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:56 pm

I love whatever new method of coloring Mr. Toriyama uses nowadays; and his shading techniques as well. X3

I kinda like how Goku's gotten more hair spikes in the recent artwork too; it's like its trying so hard to make sense of how delightfully nonsensical his hair is. :mrgreen:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:25 am

Tsukento wrote:Off? I'd say his artwork's gotten more "mature." It's gotten a lot better. Sorta like how you could compare Eiichiro Oda's drawings of One Piece now to how they were back when he started.

I'm really digging Toriyama's recent style, as well as his new coloring methods.
Eh... I personally prefer his older style, but I guess that's just what I've become accustomed to over my years of enjoying the series. To me, this new art doesn't even look like it's been drawn by Toriyama. I suppose that's just a textbook example of style evolution, though.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:28 am

Pretty much. He's even gone from using watercolors to markers and digital paint for his coloring.