DBZ Dub Hall Of Shame...

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

DBZ Dub Hall Of Shame...

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:14 am

I think an awsome new section for the site would be a DBZ Dub Hall Of Shame, It's pretty self explanitory.

There would be a lists of lines from different fighters from DBZ with sound clips or actuall video clips to prove they exsist. Some dub lines are so freakin funny, you ask yourself why the frig did FUNimation think it was necessary to make Yamcha sing "Cat loves food, yea yea yea"

Come on, who has a dub line they wanna share?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:02 am

While it is funny, I don't like to focus on anything FUNimation-specific. We have a global audience that is familiar with just... "the show"... and not necessarily one company's vision of that show.

And if there's one thing I don't like, it's sites that do nothing but talk about FUNimation and what they've done, what they do, and what they think they'll do :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:57 pm

Hey you turd, you were reading my sigs werent you? :p

Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dragon » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:12 am

I don't know where else to post this question, but Pioneer was releasing their dubs when Saban was very strict, right? Well, I saw The Dead Zone and HOW did Saban let Chi-chi say Hell when in the series, they had to say the next dimension instead of killed? Plus, wouldn't they have edited out the part of Gohan peeing into Krillin's mouth? What's going on here???
Gerry Dragan (yes, that's my real name.)

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:16 am

Dragon wrote:I don't know where else to post this question, but Pioneer was releasing their dubs when Saban was very strict, right? Well, I saw The Dead Zone and HOW did Saban let Chi-chi say Hell when in the series, they had to say the next dimension instead of killed? Plus, wouldn't they have edited out the part of Gohan peeing into Krillin's mouth? What's going on here???
Well, I'm not sure why they let Chi-Chi say Hell..... but these were the first UNCUT dubs Funimation did, and it wouldn't really be uncut if they cut out Gohan peeing on Kuririn's head (Yes, if I recall correctly it was on his head, not in his mouth....)

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:17 am

Pioneer had "nothing to do" with the series beyond being the distributer for the home releases on VHS/DVD.

It seems like Pioneer put a little more emphasis on wanting to release decent dubs of the first three movies, however... though none of us actually know for sure what the contractual obligations were and who told who to do what.

The first three movies got actual "uncut" releases. Now, the script isn't as terribly accurate (in the dub) as everyone makes it out to be (there's actually MORE cursing than in the Japanese script, a few silly line changes, and even some wacky inserted sound effects)... but all in all, it's pretty decent.

Also, the movies came out towards the end / after the first 53 episodes / two seasons had been completed and had aired on television (ep 53 aired 23 May 1998; movie 1 seems to have come out 9 December 1997) so Saban was long out of the picture (not that they'd have anything to do with the movie releases, even if they WERE still around).
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:18 am

I'm for this idea, I vote yes.

...What do you mean this isn't a vote?! Communist!

Seriously, Funimation made up enough dub lines to fill a lot of articles. If handled in a mature, lightly sarcastic kind of way, it could be funny without coming off like a whiney fanboy. The "dub" section of the rumor guide is a good example.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:36 am

Or what about a world wide dub hall of shame, I know there are some corney lines they added to the french dub. This way it's not ALL FUNimation bashing...

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:24 am

I like Tanooki's idea, an International DBZ Dub Hall of Shame, that would seriously rock.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:22 am

Ya, that would be really cool. And it wouldn't be hard to do it in way that wouldn't come off as 'elitest fanboy' either. It'd be more of a guide of the dumb or incorrect line changes made by all the dubs. Things like the "Just wait till it grows back!" from Tien, or that line in Movie 7 "that means he's pure, even as a Super Saiya-jin!" that Krillin spouts... I hate that one.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:17 am

The norwegian dub is pretty much nothing BUT stupid dub lines, and has interesing lines like Tullece referring to Goku as his brother (God, no!) or Bulma claiming she heard about the destruction of Dr. Willows lab on the news (And yes, they DO mentoin it happened 50 years ago later on).

The danish manga also has some oddities, like the translators nott knowing what certain words mean, and thus use lines as "A Saiya-jinic space capsule".

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:38 am

I like the idea. An international DBZ Dub Hall of Shame. Sounds cool. You can ad 80% of the german dub. ;D
The danish manga also has some oddities, like the translators nott knowing what certain words mean, and thus use lines as "A Saiya-jinic space capsule".
As far as I know the script of the danish Manga is a translation of the crappy german version. I know your feelings. :?

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:23 pm

Does anyone know why in dubbed eps 1-4 they actually use phrases like kill? Raditz in particular says something along the lines of "we'll be killed", when he's being held down by Goku. It seems the whole 'other dimension' thing started after that. Did someone at Saban (or elsewhere) just not like the idea of referencing deaths, and tell them to change it?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:37 pm

From what I understand, the first four episodes were somewhat like their "pilot-run" for Saban. After / because of those four episodes, things started changing (such as the whole "next dimension") concept. In fact, those four episodes were later re-dubbed. Some of the "kill" and such stayed in, but some of the more "graphic" (not quite accurate, but yeah) lines were removed from the original syndicated run (and the home release).

You can hear some of them in that World of DragonBall Z extra that's on the Trunks discs (like Kame-Sen'nin's "I smell death in the air...").

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote:From what I understand, the first four episodes were somewhat like their "pilot-run" for Saban. After / because of those four episodes, things started changing (such as the whole "next dimension") concept. In fact, those four episodes were later re-dubbed. Some of the "kill" and such stayed in, but some of the more "graphic" (not quite accurate, but yeah) lines were removed from the original syndicated run (and the home release).

You can hear some of them in that World of DragonBall Z extra that's on the Trunks discs (like Kame-Sen'nin's "I smell death in the air...").
I remember reading about that quote somewhere..it's too bad they removed it, I always liked that line.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:47 am

Dub "Your all complete and utter wastes of Saiyan Blood!"

Sub- "I'll give you credit for being every bit Saiyan."

HOW DOES FUNI DO THAT?!?!

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:51 am

I figured that line was changed for dramatic effect...I'm still kinda bothered by how they removed Broli's line about being the devil. I thought it was really evilish.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:44 pm

When Vegeta realizes that they still have a third wish in the Buu saga:

Japanese:
Freeza: That naiviety will get you killed!
English:
Freeza: Hehe that Saiyan is such a sucker!

Japanese:
Babidi: Buu! Use this chance to take care of him!
English:
Babidi: Buu I hope you die you spoiled brat!

They made Babidi hate Buu...while Babidi's still supporting Buu in reality.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:22 pm

Bura wrote:Japanese:
Babidi: Buu! Use this chance to take care of him!
English:
Babidi: Buu I hope you die you spoiled brat!

They made Babidi hate Buu...while Babidi's still supporting Buu in reality.
I think the change was made because Babidi was mad at Buu for killing him. Made sense to me. Why would he still support Buu, made no sense.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:27 pm

Bura wrote:They made Babidi hate Buu...while Babidi's still supporting Buu in reality.
The confusing thing about Babidi's final appearance, where he's cheering on Boo, is that it completly contradicts the scene they had right before it, where he was cheering on Goku. I guess Funimation decided to go with some consistency, a rare thing in their case. :lol: