Sticky Thread Clarification

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Sticky Thread Clarification

Post by MisterFlashdude » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:58 am

TripleRach wrote:
MisterFlashdude wrote:The answer to the question "Why is this bit of niche fandom outlet different than any other niche fandom outlet and necessitates a constant presence at the top of the page"? No. No, I haven't seen that answer. Threads... get posts. If you stickied a "Dragonball Memes!" thread at the top, people would post in it...
If you really want to discuss an issue like this, I'd suggest making a thread about stickies in Website Discussion. I think both sides make good points, so maybe it's worth discussing in general.
Why the heck not. I'm sufficiently bored to go for it.

Let me say up front, I'm not passionate about this subject. I'm not here to rage until Kaboom's thread is unstickied. I suppose I'm trying to bring something positive out of my trolling.

First and foremost, what qualifies a subject to be stickied?
The reasoning behind the fan art section seems clear enough to me. You have people drawing pictures every day and if this post wasn't there, the fan-works section would probably be filled with "[Artist's] Art!" threads. Getting any more niche into fan work than this makes me wonder why there isn't simply another subsection to the fan-works forum. One could argue that "AMVs", "Fan-comics", "Fan-videos [Your various abridged and humor serials]", "Fanfics", and "Memes" are as prevalent as theories discussing power levels. There's also things like the numerous "I'm selling my Dragonball crap" threads that pop up in General Discussion.
Should these subjects be condensed and stickied to avoid numerous threads?

Second, some of the stickies here are pretty out dated. The General Discussion section has three posts stickied of news from 5 to 6 years ago. Two of them link to the same place and one of the links doesn't lead to the relevant information any more. You could argue that these bits of news are still relevant to someone who's never heard of the AF prank, but couldn't you kill three birds with one stone by having something along the lines of, "Here's some interesting stuff you probably didn't notice was on our site"?

Those are the two main points that jump to mind at the moment, and I hope I'm not stepping on too many toes by continuing the subject.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Sticky Thread Clarification

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Briefly browsing around, I can only guess this has something to do with power levels...?

I think you folks are looking for consistency and reasoning where there isn't any, and we just take it as it comes.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:45 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote: First and foremost, what qualifies a subject to be stickied?
From what I have seen on these forums, it's threads and questions that come up time after time. And some threads get stickied to make the Forum become less cluttered.
MisterFlashdude wrote: One could argue that "AMVs", "Fan-comics", "Fan-videos [Your various abridged and humor serials]", "Fanfics", and "Memes" are as prevalent as theories discussing power levels. There's also things like the numerous "I'm selling my Dragonball crap" threads that pop up in General Discussion.
Should these subjects be condensed and stickied to avoid numerous threads?
All those shouldn't be stickied in my opinion.
- AMVs: Certain members use the same thread to post their AMVs in, and even necropost to update their threads, which I haven't seen as a problem in the Fan Works Section yet. And I think all the members doing a lot of AMVs should have their own thread instead of making a new one each time.
- Fan-comics: Each fan-comic should have it's own thread. But stickying it isn't a good idea, since the discussion in them dies off from time to time when the comic is on hiatus. And the discussion is mostly from the fresh and new material, so if it's active, it will always be on the top of the Fan Works section anyways, just as the DB:M, DBZ Abridged and DBAF threads are. The same applies to fan videos.
Of course, if a fan does edits and dubbing, they users should keep them in their own thread only.
- Fanfics: Users should put them in their own thread. No stickies though, as it will show up as it's updated. Look at Kaboom's DBGT fanfic: It works perfectly as it's updated fairly often and people don't miss to notice it.
- Memes: They are often short-lived (I mean, the Bitch I look like Goku thread is almost dead as-is), so sticking them would be a bad idea. And it's seldom that people make new threads just to tell people about a new meme.
- I'm selling my Dragonball crap: This one, however, should have a sticky, because some members want to only sell one or two items. For members that are interested in selling a huge collection, they could start a separate thread.
MisterFlashdude wrote: Second, some of the stickies here are pretty out dated. The General Discussion section has three posts stickied of news from 5 to 6 years ago. Two of them link to the same place and one of the links doesn't lead to the relevant information any more. You could argue that these bits of news are still relevant to someone who's never heard of the AF prank, but couldn't you kill three birds with one stone by having something along the lines of, "Here's some interesting stuff you probably didn't notice was on our site"?
I still see people posting in those threads, so I guess they serve their function. I think that otherwise people would start new threads in the lines of: "wow, I have found something NEW!" and "Toriyama just made a new comic/one-shot" ect. all the time.

I think that when it comes to the fan works section, dividing it into subforums would be a great idea:
- Fan Art
- Fan Fiction
- Videos
- Fan Fiction
- Other (With powerlevels, fan comics and memes)

But it's kinda hard to do on these forums, as the fan works section isn't that active.

I don't know much about the powerlevel discussion on these forums, but from what I got from the MFG forums is that:
- There was a lot of bashing
- There were too many threads about them

The reason for why I am pro the powerlevel sticky is that it is more balanced, and that Kaboom holds an eye on it all the time.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:43 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I think you folks are looking for consistency and reasoning where there isn't any, and we just take it as it comes.
Well, that answers that. Thanks for the reply.