Occupation?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Occupation?

Post by Bussani » Tue May 29, 2012 7:35 am

SSJSteve wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what section of ICT did you get your degree in? :)
It was a pretty broad one simply called the Bachelor in Computing Systems, covering programming, networking, web design, and a bunch of other things. I ended up on the programming side, mainly, and my final project (which took up a whole semester) reflected this, producing an app that could generate interactive web pages to act as study aids for the semester's students. I don't know if I'd like to do programming for a living, though; I started finding it pretty stressful! Web stuff is usually more enjoyable, though.

Any idea what section(s) of IT you're interested in?
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Tue May 29, 2012 8:11 am

Bussani wrote:
SSJSteve wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what section of ICT did you get your degree in? :)
It was a pretty broad one simply called the Bachelor in Computing Systems, covering programming, networking, web design, and a bunch of other things. I ended up on the programming side, mainly, and my final project (which took up a whole semester) reflected this, producing an app that could generate interactive web pages to act as study aids for the semester's students. I don't know if I'd like to do programming for a living, though; I started finding it pretty stressful! Web stuff is usually more enjoyable, though.

Any idea what section(s) of IT you're interested in?
Oh right, I think that's pretty close to what Universities over here in the UK are offering. Except (I may be wrong) there's a separate choice got Networking. A whole semester for a project, that's unbelievable! I've got to agree with you on Programming, it is stressful, and we've only done the basics in Visual Basic! Does the money side of things come into perspective for you? Because aren't Programming jobs usually better paid?

At this moment, not really, it's quite hard to decide. I was thinking maybe Software Engineering/Development. But I've heard from a lot of people how tough it can be.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue May 29, 2012 8:32 am

SSJSteve wrote:Oh right, I think that's pretty close to what Universities over here in the UK are offering. Except (I may be wrong) there's a separate choice got Networking. A whole semester for a project, that's unbelievable! I've got to agree with you on Programming, it is stressful, and we've only done the basics in Visual Basic! Does the money side of things come into perspective for you? Because aren't Programming jobs usually better paid?
The final projects are sort of like our version of a thesis, I suppose. It involves not only creating the software from scratch (or whatever you're doing), but also doing all of the development paperwork, system analysis, user guides, etc. What I produced in the end wasn't just the code, but also a several hundred pages of documentation and a live presentation in front of a rather large audience. Honestly, a semester was barely enough to get it all done.

As for the money, I think it's the System Analysis guys who get the most, but that's probably something I'd be more afraid of doing than programming... The Systems Analysis & Design class was notorious for its failure rate. Buuut, I can't really say I wouldn't want to have a well paying job someday, so I'll probably give in and go in that direction if the opportunity presented itself.
At this moment, not really, it's quite hard to decide. I was thinking maybe Software Engineering/Development. But I've heard from a lot of people how tough it can be.
I think it depends on how much you enjoy happen to enjoy it. I really liked programming at first, but after a few years, it started to grate on me. That said, I mostly used C# for my final project, and it surprised me with how cooperative it seemed to be, so maybe it also depends on what you're using and what you're trying to do.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue May 29, 2012 10:45 am

I sell women's undergarments. No, seriously, I do. I've worked at Victoria's Secret for the past year. I probably know more about bras than the majority of women.

Outside of that, I have a degree in theatre and have been trying to find a real job in that or film (with occasional success... sometimes it even pays!). I'd certainly love a chance to put my video editing skills to something that pays real money. :D
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 29, 2012 11:42 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I sell women's undergarments. No, seriously, I do. I've worked at Victoria's Secret for the past year. I probably know more about bras than the majority of women.

Outside of that, I have a degree in theatre and have been trying to find a real job in that or film (with occasional success... sometimes it even pays!). I'd certainly love a chance to put my video editing skills to something that pays real money. :D
Suddenly your videos make a lot, lot more sense. I always thought there was a vague sense of theatrical-ness going on!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Tue May 29, 2012 12:50 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I sell women's undergarments. No, seriously, I do. I've worked at Victoria's Secret for the past year. I probably know more about bras than the majority of women.
And you didn't offer us a discount :evil:

As a M.d in training I can offer a basic medical treatment under supervision.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

ricecake
Beyond Newbie

Post by ricecake » Tue May 29, 2012 1:00 pm

I am a software engineer, but I also do sys-admin-type stuff as well at my job.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue May 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Eire wrote:
And you didn't offer us a discount :evil:
Well, I suppose maybe I could. I... just have a hard time believing my 30% off will be enough of an advantage to you to make up for the shipping costs to Poland! :wink:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Tue May 29, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm sure there are many other female DB fans here... aren't they? :?
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 29, 2012 3:41 pm

The best thing about my job is that I can get into movies free if it's not sold out. If the movie sucks then I'm happy that I got into for free since I would imagine that I would be piss if I pay full price for Ghost Rider 2 or Jack & Jill.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:57 pm

I work for a Asian Grocery and Gift store. Been there for several years, and worked my way up to the manager of the non-foods area. In the past, I've been able to buy DBZ merchandise at my place of work :D (though we're not selling a lot of DBZ stuff these days....)
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Bussani wrote:The final projects are sort of like our version of a thesis, I suppose. It involves not only creating the software from scratch (or whatever you're doing), but also doing all of the development paperwork, system analysis, user guides, etc. What I produced in the end wasn't just the code, but also a several hundred pages of documentation and a live presentation in front of a rather large audience. Honestly, a semester was barely enough to get it all done.

As for the money, I think it's the System Analysis guys who get the most, but that's probably something I'd be more afraid of doing than programming... The Systems Analysis & Design class was notorious for its failure rate. Buuut, I can't really say I wouldn't want to have a well paying job someday, so I'll probably give in and go in that direction if the opportunity presented itself.
It sounds like a lot of work, but I guess if you're actually interested in the subject it helps. Our Lecturer has told us about the System Analysis guys, like what you said, they do get paid quite a lot. There was another specific field our lecturer was telling us about where these certain people wouldn't get out of bed for less than £1000 a day, the whole class was in shock for a couple of hours!

I'm definitely interested in the Programming side of IT though, what programming language would you say if the best to learn? Do they teach a wide variety of them in Universities?

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:49 pm

I've been studying informatics engineering in a university for nearly two years now.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:01 pm

SSJSteve wrote:It sounds like a lot of work, but I guess if you're actually interested in the subject it helps. Our Lecturer has told us about the System Analysis guys, like what you said, they do get paid quite a lot. There was another specific field our lecturer was telling us about where these certain people wouldn't get out of bed for less than £1000 a day, the whole class was in shock for a couple of hours!
That's a lot of dough.
I'm definitely interested in the Programming side of IT though, what programming language would you say if the best to learn? Do they teach a wide variety of them in Universities?
At the place I went to, at least, I got to use quite a wide variety of languages. It often depended on the preferences of the tutor and the aims of the class. Also, as time passed, the classes evolved. My first programming class there used Pascal, which is probably a decent place to start because it's so simple and allows you to focus on the logic; but by the time I was done, people taking that class were using something else, like C#.

So, to be honest, I don't know how many languages they'd have you learning. But it probably doesn't matter that much. The key is to get your head around the logic and the way programs are structured, which is more or less the same no matter which language you're using. My advice would be to focus on the pseudocode (i.e. when you write out the program's structure in plain English) and the structure diagrams, which, aside from a bit of syntax jargon, are usually pretty universal. It can be very tempting to blow these two things off and just dive straight into the coding, but understanding them in your head is important and can then be applied to just about any language with minimal alterations. If you understand it properly, you'll probably be able to look at code written in a language you've never heard of and still be able to figure it out easily!

For me, though, C# was probably my favorite language . I didn't use it at all until my final project (which just goes to show, it isn't too hard picking up a new language once you understand the underlying principles), and I was amazed at how cooperative it was compared to other languages I'd used. The most stressful thing about programming is when you've written the code, checked it, it literally has no mistakes in it...and it still doesn't work for reasons only the programming gods know. It happens surprisingly often. But C# didn't give me many problems like that, so it gets a thumbs up from me.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:34 am

I'm a freelance comic book artist and I'm currently working on three projects that will hopefully get printed (or at least put up on the web). I'm going back to school to study animation this fall at the School of Visual Arts. I few years ago I was a web designer but I hated my job even though ironically it helped me become a freelance artist.

In short I draw for a living.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:52 pm

Unemployed at the moment. :( Hoping to get into college soon and take up International Business.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:06 pm

I've been unemployed for a while but last year I began volunteering at an animal charity shop before becoming very ill.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:31 pm

I've actually quite a few jobs. I was a mailman for a while. But then the economy crashed and they cut me. Then I got a "temporary" job at Starbucks until I found something better. I ended up staying there for 8 years and eventually became a supervisor. But, then I lit a fire under my ass and got a real job. So now... I'm a custodian for the Board of Ed. I'm happy, it's a City job. I kinda wanted something like that.

So... yea.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:59 pm

I work as a Systems Administrator. I have also found out that IT Systems Administrators are assumed to know nothing, do nothing, and deserve nothing. Who stops virus attacks? Magic. Who looks after the phones? Magic. Who manages printer stock and makes sure the reports are running? Magic. Who looks after the backups and recovers your data when you delete it? Magic. Who has migrated all your physical hardware to virtual servers, saving you a fortune in electricity? Magic. Who checks all the software for compatibility with Windows 7 before implementing a big roll out? Magical goblins. Who is currently having a breakdown at work because you refuse to hire more staff, even though the IT departments at our sister sites have 3 times as many people working in IT as we do? This magical goblin.

I really, really wish I'd learnt how to administer SAP. Or SQL. That would be easier. And pay better.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:22 pm

Still getting my education done, studying Film as my major.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.