Why are you still here?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Why are you still here?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:41 pm

This is a story all about how I sat in my chair for a couple of hours.
I was browsing through some threads and I found a cool idea, so I said "I'll be using that myself, oh yeah."
Daaaa da da, da daaaa da

Mad skillz, I know.

Anywho, I found this thread by Li'l Lemmy from back in the day, when Kanzenshuu was still pure and innocent in its infancy after the merger.

Before the Dark Times. Before the EoB-Jaco-BoG-Buu Arc Kai-New Movie rush.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... +live+here

And I thought to myself, "hmm... this looks an awful lot like an idea I had for a member interview thread that I proposed a while back and never actually did anything with because my life went batshit insane, except this looks a hell of a lot easier."
So, after getting Da Lemmy's blessing to totally rip off his idea, and out of a desire to do something while I set up my Interview Thread, I say we get this started

*Note: The following portion is shamelessly copy/pasted from the original thread.*

Why are you HERE?

1. Why did you sign up, and what keeps you here? Was it word-of-mouth? The website itself? Or perhaps you were lurking and saw something that you just had to respond to? And in any event, do the friendly staff and shonen atmosphere make you glad you did?

2. How do you use this forum, and in what capacity? How is your time spent here integrated into your daily routine? First thing in the morning, or a last look before bed? Do you spend as much time here as you'd like? Not enough, too much?

3. Where do most of your contributions fall, and why? Do you discuss the series proper, or just news relating to it? Are you a PWRLVL cruncher? Are you waiting for news of a new series? Do you post and putz all over the place, or generally stay confined to one particular subsection?

I figure I'll post my own habits after a bit more thought, but until then I thought it'd be good to put this out there.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Scarz
I Live Here

Re: Why are you still here?

Post by Scarz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Why am I here? It's simple really, I like the community here! If it wasn't for the forum (and the main site too) I'm certain I would've lost interest in DB all over again.

I can't remember exactly why I signed up back in '08. Perhaps I was browsing for a good DB forum or clicked on a link that sent me here. I know that after I found the site I lurked for months before I singing up. I wasn't expecting to stick around for as long as I did. Usually I lurk other forums and post every so often to see what's up. But the community here felt so different from the others. I wouldn't say it was better or superior than the ones I visited. Just different in terms of the way things were discussed. I started posting more and replying to topics I normally wouldn't care to respond to. After a while, I just came to really love posting here and stuck around.

I drop by the forum almost daily now. Sometimes once a day or more depending on what's been updated (like DBM or other news). I usually check out the forum in the mourning or afternoons. If I'm up late drawing I'll take a break and check to see what I've missed.

Since I'm an artist, I spend most of my time browsing through the Fan-Created Work section of the forum. And that's were most of contributions fall as well. Whether it's posting comments on other artist's fan manga/fan art or posting my own.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:09 pm

Well, I haven't been here for long so I don't have any reason to criticize the community. I love Dragon Ball, it's my favorite piece of fiction, and seeing a community with similar thoughts and I just couldn't stand not being here.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:09 pm

Let's be honest Scarz, the reason you're here is because the fandom needs you. You're like Kanzenshuu's superhero but your power is smut.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Well, Ima gonna go ahead and put my own response now.
1. Why did you sign up, and what keeps you here? Was it word-of-mouth? The website itself? Or perhaps you were lurking and saw something that you just had to respond to? And in any event, do the friendly staff and shonen atmosphere make you glad you did?
Well, I found out about this site in the winter of 2012, after being led there by hearing rumors in the Dragon Ball Wiki talk pages of some strange creature known as a "Herms," which apparently knew more about the site than the mods on the wiki cared to admit, and would refuse to use due to it being "fan work." So, I traveled the vastness of the interwebz, and found the forums here. As it was an excruciatingly boring winter, I read as much of the in-universe forum as I could, waiting for school to start back up, and eventually ended up starting my own account, which was actually the first forum account I ever made.

The community here was generally friendly, and I'd like to especially call out dbzfan7 and RandomGuy96, who are the members I communicated with most in those early days. I was fairly active throughout the following spring, and when summer hit, I became one of the most active members on the forums. I'm not quite as active as I was back then, but I like to stay involved with the community.

Oh, and Scarz's smut. Gotta stay around for that.
2. How do you use this forum, and in what capacity? How is your time spent here integrated into your daily routine? First thing in the morning, or a last look before bed? Do you spend as much time here as you'd like? Not enough, too much?
Kanzenshuu, along with Facebook, my university email, and a handful of other sites tend to have a perpetually open tab on my browser. I don't really have a set time for checking the site or forums, but I tend to get bored easily and this place is a good way to kill some time. I am glad, though, that this forum doesn't have a "time online" listing like some others I'm a part of do. That could be embarrassing :P

3. Where do most of your contributions fall, and why? Do you discuss the series proper, or just news relating to it? Are you a PWRLVL cruncher? Are you waiting for news of a new series? Do you post and putz all over the place, or generally stay confined to one particular subsection?
Originally, I stuck solely to in-universe, but I've gradually branched out. I'm pretty active in General Franchise Discussion, and spend a fair amount of time in the Fan Works and Video Games sections as well. I prefer to stick to character-based discussions, but I have a habit of getting involved with threads that I know I'll end up getting irritated at :P
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:10 pm

Noticing I did post in the earlier thread, I'd say it's about the same as what I posted there. Found the site while looking for DB info, still here because there are interesting forum topics and because of DB15 news. I'm still mostly a General Franchise poster/lurker, I stop by whenever I have time.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:31 pm

1. Why did you sign up, and what keeps you here?

Uh, that's a tough one. I think a friend of mine directed me here after I spent hours bitching about how godawful a certain DBZ subreddit is and how it's one big ignorant dub loving circlejerk. So yeah, that was nice of him. I stick around since it's the only site that won't tolerate bullshit rumours nor panders to the dub. It's focused entirely on the original show and sticks to solid facts. It's a gem in a sea of shit and I appreciate the work the guys who run this site put into it.

Oh, and the podcast is fun.

2. How do you use this forum, and in what capacity?

In between cuddling my anime pillow and watching hentai, I spend my no-life refreshing the 'new posts' page hoping something that isn't about power-levels pops up. When something does come up; I then proceed to be a miserable bastard who shits on everything and anything because it's not the original series and how dare they touch my beloved show.

On a serious note - nah, I just refresh the page every now and then and chime in when I feel like it.

3. Where do most of your contributions fall, and why?

Pretty much entirely under 'General Discussion'. I have zero time for In-Universe hypotheticals and circular arguments about made up numbers. I really enjoy discussing the production side of the series - home releases, animators, voice actors, budgets etc.

Pretty much anything technical or fact based is where I like to chat!

Although lately I've found myself participating less and just feeling really apathetic towards the franchise. I blame Kai for being so awful and Hunter x Hunter for being so good.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:58 am

I can't remember exactly why. But I do remember that I was on a small DB nostalgia trip at the time after digging up my old video games, watching the abridged series, and debating in "who would win?" threads on other forums. I had never been a huge DB fan, but I was enough of one to want to learn a bit more about it, and talk to other fans. I first heard about Kanzenshuu on another forum back in... 2012, or so. It sounded like a cool place, so I decided to join.

I wasn't planning on becoming a regular, since I didn't have much interest in the series. But gradually my interest grew, and now I basically live here. What brings me back again and again to this site in particular are the comprehensive and interesting guides on the main site, the long PM conversations that I occasionally engage in, and the generally friendly and casual mood on the forums, occasional outbursts aside. The interesting topics and a handful of insanely quotable members are bonuses.

Specific threads that keep me here include "The Official Unofficial Power Level Thread", the repeated threads that ask "what/who is your favorite/least favorite X?", and "Herms watches the show".
This has pretty much been my "main" forum for quite some time, especially since I got banned from a certain other one. As you can probably tell by my post count and join date, I post very frequently. Whenever I'm doing any work on a computer, or just screwing around for fun, I'll almost always have a tab open for Kanzenshuu which I'll refresh every few minutes. Sometimes I spend several hours just reading threads without participating, including dead ones. Most of the time I just post a lot because I'm bored that day. I check it right after I wake up and right before I go to bed.

Perhaps I do use it too much...
I almost never talk about the technical aspects of the series, and rarely comment on news (though I do read it). I occasionally wander into the video games section, but not often. The vast majority of my posts are in the in-universe and general sections, talking about various little in-universe mysteries and bits of trivia, and discussing characters, fights, and story structure, among other things. Oh, and how tall the characters are supposed to be. Can't forget that I also post a lot in the fan-works section, but that's almost entirely due to 2-3 specific threads.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

kazamino
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kazamino » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:35 pm

I signed up out of curiosity and what kept me here is the community, I admit I still lurk from time to time and I think my post count is way lower than expected for someone who's been around for as long as I have... I guess I just prefer reading and like having the option to reply if I wanted?

Mostly entertainment and I log in out of boredom quite frequently, I don't really have a set schedule for when I come to this site really... as for how much time I spend here, I would say it's adequate for someone who is as inactive as I am.

I'd like to say I'm spread everywhere... but I'm not entirely sure, I just reply to recent topics when I feel like it and I haven't paid much attention to which sections said topics are actually located.
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Let see, around the time of BoG, was heavily involved in the YouTube community and some people were discussing Kanzenshuu, so outta curiosity I found this place and I lurked around for a month (mainly eyeing news for BoG) and decided to finally sign up, and I believe I coincidently signed up on the Japanese release date of BoG.

What made me stay, well for one the people here are much nicer then YouTube (if someone disagreed with you they'd result to juvenile swearing etc) and no silly text speak here too ( I hate text speak even in texts :lol: an average text is 160chars so I try and use as much as I can lol)
In the morning when I wake up and whenever I'm bored at work/uni/home.
Same boat as AjayLikesGaming really. I am mostly interested in news about the franchise, like the new movie, new BD's etc I hardly ever touch the in-verse sub section, occasionally check fan-created works and music . I also lurk around the Kai forum too, without posting much. I just gave up on gaming foolishly after buying a PS4, sold all my games and just use as a blu-ray player, but the new game and Arkham Knight have kind of got me interested.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:06 pm

I have been a regular visitor of the main site since March 2011. I found it by chance while searching for news about the (then recent, now temporary) Dragon Ball Kai cancellation and the Yamamoto scandal. I've stayed ever since because, as a fansite, Kanzenshuu has everything I'm looking for: it's frequently updated, it's thoroughly documented and the staff really goes the extra mile to give the community content of extreme quality. Not to mention it only focuses on the original version and all the content is well written (a rarity in fansites). Oh, and I love podcasts, so a Dragon Ball podcast is a no-brainer (though I do skip the ones whose topic doesn't really interest me). Regarding the forum itself, I signed up only because I wanted to weigh in on the Portuguese Dragon Ball Tankoubon Edition *On Going* - Review thread.

I don't use the forum too often, as you can see by my post count (not much of a forum person). I have some topics I'm subscribed to, when I get an email notification regarding a new post on those topics, I'll go and check it out, sometimes replying, if I feel like it, and that's pretty much it. I only venture into other topics when I'm bored.

Regarding the main site, I have Kanzenshuu's RSS dynamic bookmark on my Firefox, so every time there's a new news post, I'll go and read it and that's about it. Oh, and I follow the staff's (and the site's) Twitter accounts.

Aside from the occasional Website and Community Discussion topic (like this one), I mostly stick to General Franchise Discussion topics, mainly the ones regarding new manga releases that interest me, like the most recent Portuguese edition of the manga and the Full Color Comics. I do comment every now and then on news posts, though.

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Although lately I've found myself participating less and just feeling really apathetic towards the franchise. I blame Kai for being so awful and Hunter x Hunter for being so good.
A little off-topic, but it's amazing the number of Dragon Ball fans that are also Hunter X Hunter fans. I too found the series just this year and totally fell in love with it.

All of us like a multitude of different series in addition to DB... but the number of people that like both DB and HXH is totally off the scale.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:40 pm

I enjoy talking about Dragon Ball and this is the oldest Dragon Ball forum that it still alive after a decade. Not to mention this is the best place to talk about Dragon Ball in my opinion. Most DB places are full of trolls and fans who know nothing about Dragon Ball outside of Funimation dub and the anime.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:45 am

I signed up hear after reading the entirety of the VS thread and coming to the place where all Dragon Ball news stems from. Herms quotes came from Kanzentai I think, which then became Kanzenshuu. I wanted to be close to people who weren't ignorant fans on other websites, and stick around for all the amazing coverage the site gives us. I signed up because this was the only place I knew that had the best Dragon Ball fans around. The only people who I knew put the original series first and didn't fall for rose tinted bullshit as well. Most people here are sensible and the community albeit maybe too strict (much better than too loose though), it's the most respectable community I know of.

I am glad I came here and I'm glad to have stuck around. Even if most of my debating days are over because of some past events. But because of it a in joke system was made to mock the overly debated subjects of the Dragon Ball Franchise.
I use the forum for information to source, to learn, and to debate a little. I leave my account online so I can check some threads and keep track of information. I don't spend all my time here, but I think I spend a fair amount of time here. A while ago I kinda was looser and didn't come as much, but now I'm back baby.
They fall in the fanworks and in-universe threads. Fanworks cause I love seeing what the fans create for better or worse, and in-universe because I love all the questions and theories for the most part. Debating is sorta eh though now a days. I am a power level guy but have not focused on a list in a year. I am not waiting for a new series as I don't believe one will happen or is needed, unless it's entirely new characters. New movies are enough or some OVA's. I spread to different sections of the forums when I feel like getting invested in a topic.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:The community here was generally friendly, and I'd like to especially call out dbzfan7 and RandomGuy96, who are the members I communicated with most in those early days.
Aw you're awesome too. You're legitimately the first and only guy I'd suggest to be a mod if Kanzenshuu offered a spot.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:02 pm

I signed up after frequently visiting the site for a number of years, even back in the DaizenshuuEX days, and finally deciding to get involved. It wasn't until recently that I'd bothered to check out the forums, as I'd mainly stuck to the main site itself prior to a few weeks ago. From the little time I've been exposed to the community here, I like it quite a bit.
I stop by when I can/want to, which varies quite a bit. I typically have a Kanzenshuu forums tab open by default, but I am not always/usually present to keep up with what goes on. My purpose for being a member of the forum is to learn more about the franchise I love so much, and to branch out and talk with others who love it as well.
I've primarily stuck to the Fukkatsu no F main forum topic and branch out to other topics that catch my eye from time to time. I wouldn't exactly say that I contribute, but I try. I may eventually start a topic about my own Dragon Ball dōjinshi at some point, maybe not.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack