How reliable is amazon?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

How reliable is amazon?

Post by Dayspring » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:02 pm

I placed an order on Amazon.ca December 30th. Sure, it was the holiday rush, which was why they gave me a long waiting period, but a delay came in at the last minute and they delayed my Budokai 2 (one of five items in the order) up until NOW. A month past the 3-week wait? WTF? To make things worse, it still hasn't arrived. Is Amazon usually better than this, or am I just getting screwed over the internet again?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: How reliable is amazon?

Post by DB_Fan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:12 pm

Dayspring wrote:I placed an order on Amazon.ca December 30th. Sure, it was the holiday rush, which was why they gave me a long waiting period, but a delay came in at the last minute and they delayed my Budokai 2 (one of five items in the order) up until NOW. A month past the 3-week wait? WTF? To make things worse, it still hasn't arrived. Is Amazon usually better than this, or am I just getting screwed over the internet again?
A similiar thing happened to me last year. I ordered Budokai 1 for PS2 on early January and I only got it around March. :(

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:12 pm

My experiences with Amazon UK have generally been very good.

The one time an item hadn't arrived for a week, I e-mailed them asking if there was a problem. They checked and saw there was, then reposted the item, no extra charge.
Where's the beef?

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:48 am

Amazon has typically been very slow with shipping in my experience, especially on non book items.
-Laserkid

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:50 am

laserkid wrote:Amazon has typically been very slow with shipping in my experience, especially on non book items.
That might do it. 3 out of the 5 items were books.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:58 am

Dayspring wrote:
laserkid wrote:Amazon has typically been very slow with shipping in my experience, especially on non book items.
That might do it. 3 out of the 5 items were books.
On this subject, did you also order Budokai 1 or Sagas?
14 years later

Last Son of Krypton
Beyond Newbie

Post by Last Son of Krypton » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:40 pm

My dealings with Amazon have been good ones. My items usually arrived in a few days after I placed my order. One order came the next day.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:23 pm

Last Son of Krypton wrote:My dealings with Amazon have been good ones. My items usually arrived in a few days after I placed my order. One order came the next day.
That's what I keep hearing from everyone, which is exactly why I ordered from them.

Conan: I was going to wait until after I had played Budokai 2 before ordering from Amazon again (Video Games, anyway). Still haven't received B2, though.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:53 pm

I am going to throw in my two cents on this little matter...

I am not really familiar with the practices of the Canadian end of Amazon's spectrum; however I have ordered a few things from Amazon.com (the US branch), and have had much the same results as you have. As a result of how long it takes them to send, I generally resign myself from ordering directly through them, and go with sellers that sell through the website.
In doing the latter, I've recieved over half of the total amount of items I've purchased in perfect condition, and within 4 days of ordering from many different places around the US.

I would say that in the future you should order from people, unless Amazon's price is a bit more competitive than the prices offered by the established users selling through them.

Not every seller is going to be perfect, but generally the experience is better from my point of view, and your packages should arrive more promptly.

I know this may not be more helpful than to strengthen your hindsight resolve for next time, but hopefully this helps anyway.

I might suggest, though, that you call up Customer Service with Amazon and see just what they have to say about your order.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:31 pm

The only time I had trouble with Amazon(US) went when I tried ordering some Gundam DVDs awhile back. The other parts of my orders(I think they were DBZ movies 4 and 5...) came through, but nothing appeared to be happening with the Gundam discs, so I cancelled them. Oddly, when I tried again a few months later, I ordered the exact same discs from them again, and they came in almost right away. Weird. :?

Otherwise, I have no complaints...

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:21 pm

Amazon tend to say they have items they don't have, and not really giving a damn about refilling their stock when they get orders from them.

I ordered a CD from them once, it was put on hold for almost half a year, and then they told me that it was out of print, and they couldn't get it. Talk about shitty customer service.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:55 am

In the past I used Amazon for much of my DVD shopping. Shopping directly through Amazon I had roughly 20-30 orders ship very promptly, however anytime I had something pre-ordered from them, it would always ship and (obviously) arrive very late.

So I cannot recommend them for pre-orders, but if it's something already out I haven't had any trouble with them in my experience (Amazon USA that is).

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:47 pm

Personally I've never had much trouble with Amazon, maybe one or two orders have been late, but other than that all of them have been on time, some even arrived before the earliest expected date of arrival.

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:16 pm

They've been very reliable in my few experiences with them and I do recomend them. The only thing I've noticed is that things arrive at different times but thats to be expected since it appears to be run in a similar fashion to eBay.
Just remember, everytime something bad is happening to you. Something even worse is happening to someone else.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:59 pm

If Amazon has the item in stock, they ship it the next day. You can get your order in as soon as 2 days.
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:13 pm

Well, I finally received the game. Worth the wait. I wish B3 was on the gamecube.