"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
omegalucas
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1316
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:04 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by omegalucas » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:47 pm

Is it me or are there some cutscenes that lack sound effects?

Also, any news on swapping costumes?
Last edited by omegalucas on Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

User avatar
Noitsnothim
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:54 pm

sangofe wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:19 pm
TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:13 am
sangofe wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 am


Seriously? They threw in Dragon Ball Heroes? That's disappointing.
Dragon Ball online actually. And this is probably just going to be a side quest since this character doesn't appear in DBZ Story. But this can also open possibilities for movie villains to appear in the game as this character involves different timelines. I think it's interesting
Yeah but he's in heroes too, in addition to xenoverse. Feels like he's over used and not original.
Would've much preferred Majin Ozotto than Mira & Towa seeing as he's never had a proper introduction into Dragon Ball or it's games since That VR game and Heroes (recently)

User avatar
Noitsnothim
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 pm

Here's a question I've had for quite awhile does anyone know how much involvement Toriyama actually has with this game or to what extent ? I know the Dragon Ball Room is heavily involved with this game and Akio Iyoku is Toriyama's right hand man but I wonder if they'll be more original stuff aside from Gohan meeting 16 before the Cell games

User avatar
jrdemr
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:13 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by jrdemr » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:34 pm

Noitsnothim wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 pm
Here's a question I've had for quite awhile does anyone know how much involvement Toriyama actually has with this game or to what extent ? I know the Dragon Ball Room is heavily involved with this game and Akio Iyoku is Toriyama's right hand man but I wonder if they'll be more original stuff aside from Gohan meeting 16 before the Cell games
You've got Bonyu, who's been designed by Toriyama himself.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:37 pm

sangofe wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:19 pm
Yeah but he's in heroes too, in addition to xenoverse. Feels like he's over used and not original.
He's overused even though he's only been in 4 games, including a Korean MMO that was never exported anywhere, an, until last year, Japanese-only arcade card game, & 2 meh MMO RPGs? What?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Noitsnothim
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:58 pm

jrdemr wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:34 pm
Noitsnothim wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 pm
Here's a question I've had for quite awhile does anyone know how much involvement Toriyama actually has with this game or to what extent ? I know the Dragon Ball Room is heavily involved with this game and Akio Iyoku is Toriyama's right hand man but I wonder if they'll be more original stuff aside from Gohan meeting 16 before the Cell games
You've got Bonyu, who's been designed by Toriyama himself.
Aside from Bonyu (Which I hope she appears in Super's new Saga since it's centered around U7) but does he help out with new Story content that wasn't show in his original Serialization ?

User avatar
ShadowVezon
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:35 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by ShadowVezon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:37 pm
sangofe wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:19 pm
Yeah but he's in heroes too, in addition to xenoverse. Feels like he's over used and not original.
He's overused even though he's only been in 4 games, including a Korean MMO that was never exported anywhere, an, until last year, Japanese-only arcade card game, & 2 meh MMO RPGs? What?
Seven actually, ignoring the Heroes ports - Online, Xenoverse 1-2, Heroes, Fusions, a cameo in Extreme Butoden and Dokkan Battle.

I don't have a problem with it though, since some of those appearances are fairly minor. I'm quite interested to see what they do with him, maybe he'll get a chance to develop his moveset a bit more in a less balanced fighting system.

User avatar
TheSaiyanGod
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1329
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:09 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:03 pm

Noitsnothim wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 pm
Here's a question I've had for quite awhile does anyone know how much involvement Toriyama actually has with this game or to what extent ? I know the Dragon Ball Room is heavily involved with this game and Akio Iyoku is Toriyama's right hand man but I wonder if they'll be more original stuff aside from Gohan meeting 16 before the Cell games
So far we only know that there will be some kind of sub story exploring the relationship between Gohan and 16. But in the trailers it has been said that there will be never before seen story moments that will explain some DBZ lore questions, so I suppose there will be more of these moments than just this scene between Gohan and 16, but we don't know how much Toriyama was involved, we just know that he created Bonyu

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5650
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 am

sangofe wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 am
Seriously? They threw in Dragon Ball Heroes? That's disappointing.
More disappointing than retelling the same old story?


Anyway, let's see what they do with Mira here, I'm curious for that. I mean, if he's the only one coming then maybe he'll be more like a teaser or a cliffhanger, a bonus boss, so to speak. He has to be part of a story, right? Otherwise there wouldn't be a reason for him to be in this game. He should be in a "Dragon Ball Z: Trunks" game.
Games - You are weak. Why are you weak?
Dragon Ball Super - *coughes*
Games - Because you lack... Content.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5029
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:21 am

I feel like I'm the only one excited to play the story again. Id prefer it over what XV did at this point.
Mira is a nice secret boss though. Cant wait to pick this up. My local GameStop is releasing it a few hours early so I'll be able get it Thursday

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:27 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:21 am
I feel like I'm the only one excited to play the story again. Id prefer it over what XV did at this point.
Mira is a nice secret boss though. Cant wait to pick this up. My local GameStop is releasing it a few hours early so I'll be able get it Thursday
That's the infuriating thing about this. It's been a while since we've gotten a DB game that actually just straight-up tells the story rather than do something else. It's actually refreshing to get one that tells the story again at this point. I don't see how them retelling the story is a problem here. It's all in the execution of the overall game that's important, since we've had several games over the last 10 years that have done different things that have either sucked or were underwhelming.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Noitsnothim
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:13 am

Okay guys I was watching a streamed gameplay of 'Kakarot' and a certain character (literally shocked me) makes an appearance
if you wanna know who it is click the spoiler tag I'm warning you right now if you can wait till friday then do so but if not then click away

the character who I saw make an appearance is none other than

User avatar
TheSaiyanGod
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1329
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:09 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:58 am

Noitsnothim wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:13 am
Okay guys I was watching a streamed gameplay of 'Kakarot' and a certain character (literally shocked me) makes an appearance
if you wanna know who it is click the spoiler tag I'm warning you right now if you can wait till friday then do so but if not then click away

the character who I saw make an appearance is none other than
I don't want to watch any streams because I want to play to have this experience, but from what you've watched so far, what are your impressions?

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6519
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:05 am

Grimlock wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 am
sangofe wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 am
Seriously? They threw in Dragon Ball Heroes? That's disappointing.
More disappointing than retelling the same old story?


Anyway, let's see what they do with Mira here, I'm curious for that. I mean, if he's the only one coming then maybe he'll be more like a teaser or a cliffhanger, a bonus boss, so to speak. He has to be part of a story, right? Otherwise there wouldn't be a reason for him to be in this game. He should be in a "Dragon Ball Z: Trunks" game.

No. But I was hoping for og db, gt or super storylines.

User avatar
Quebaz
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:57 am
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Quebaz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:24 am

Grimlock wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 am
More disappointing than retelling the same old story?
Yes, because I actually wanted them to go all in on that aspect like the marketing indicated.

If I wanted to battle against Xenoverse 2's main antagonist I'd play Xenoverse 2.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6022
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 am

Noitsnothim wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:13 am
Okay guys I was watching a streamed gameplay of 'Kakarot' and a certain character (literally shocked me) makes an appearance
if you wanna know who it is click the spoiler tag I'm warning you right now if you can wait till friday then do so but if not then click away

the character who I saw make an appearance is none other than
Damn, this game is getting a lot of fan service... I like it.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
Noitsnothim
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:16 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:58 am
Noitsnothim wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:13 am
Okay guys I was watching a streamed gameplay of 'Kakarot' and a certain character (literally shocked me) makes an appearance
if you wanna know who it is click the spoiler tag I'm warning you right now if you can wait till friday then do so but if not then click away

the character who I saw make an appearance is none other than
I don't want to watch any streams because I want to play to have this experience, but from what you've watched so far, what are your impressions?
You might not agree or like what I will say but these will be my honest opinions:

The open world is amazingly detailed and filled with a considerable amount of NPCs and little nuggets of trivia for a diehard DB fan to explore and find even characters from OG DB make appearances that's a pro but there are cons as well such as you can't use IT to transport yourself to a location such as the lookout or korin's tower (During cell saga) you have to click on their location to get there quickly and I'm not a fan of that there are more cons than pros so bear with me okay? (this is just what I saw) the character models are extremely horrible and ugly to look at they resemble PS2 DBZ Sagas character models at times and the combat system is kept simple and nothing like the anime at all (the only type of immersive experience is the open world) every battle starts in the air even if those battles in the manga and anime took place on the ground and some battles are dragged out even if they were a quick thing (Example: raditz knees goku when he meets him for the first time is a dragged out battle) not a fan of that at all (I honestly felt like Budokai had a greater grasp of DBZ than this game does) the cutscenes if you can even consider them that are awful and the characters become stiff and lifeless during these none of them blink or do a thing unless you click x for another character to talk again

pros: great detailed open world with so many NPCs and characters from the past and present of DB make appearances and some will even surprise you, we get to hear more of Bulma's new VA in this game and certain gameplay moments are cool especially when the gameplay goes to a cutscene then back to fighting, there are some new added stuff to fill in the blanks of some lore-related questions and backstories which is a + from me

cons: character models are ugly as sin and hard to look at, they completely cut snake way sorry folks, there is possibly no super vegeta (did not see that transformation in the skill tree) cutscenes are dull and lifeless unless you press x for another character to become animated, battles always almost take place in the sky and never on ground (I really hate that) really feel like the developers focused more on open world gameplay and exploring for treasures/easter eggs than the actual fighting gameplay and that's unfortunate they sacrificed (if not) the most important aspect of any DB game that attracts fans and video game players of all kind, they started with 'Z' and not the og DB which is why people don't remember that goku has killed his opponents before, the box art and character portraits look more clean and cool than the in-game character models it's such a shame, when you fight you don't really do damage to the surrounding areas around you


then again what I did watch is (what I assume) a reviewer's copy so there weren't no patches but even then! also, I apologize for being all over the place with my impressions and thoughts when the games does come out and I've finish it I will do a better review (for right now) these are my truest thoughts

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:16 pm

So, we have the Vegeta trailer/Launch Trailer as it's called on Bandai Namco's Europe account (set to 'We Were Angels'): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2SnInDLDCQ

And the "Soul Emblems" trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLyxDeqM30

2 more days. LET'S GO!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8787
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:16 pm
So, we have the Vegeta trailer/Launch Trailer as it's called on Bandai Namco's Europe account (set to 'We Were Angels'): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2SnInDLDCQ
And if anyone's interested, the same trailer's also available in Japanese with subtitles featuring Horikawa's voice-over, though it seems to be the exact same trailer otherwise. I didn't notice any different scenes when poking around it anyway.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:56 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:16 pm
So, we have the Vegeta trailer/Launch Trailer as it's called on Bandai Namco's Europe account (set to 'We Were Angels'): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2SnInDLDCQ
And if anyone's interested, the same trailer's also available in Japanese with subtitles featuring Horikawa's voice-over, though it seems to be the exact same trailer otherwise. I didn't notice any different scenes when poking around it anyway.
Yeah, other than the subs & the actors, it's exactly the same, though I don't know how close of a translation the English dub is, since I haven't watched them side-by-side. I imagine very close. I do like how Sabat is pretty closely matching Horikawa's performance with his voice being more noticeably worn. It's a nice touch.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Post Reply