DragonBall: Raging Blast (PS3/360)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Big Momma wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote: as for the joystick thing, Dimps has nothing on Raging Blast. This is actually the first game I got MAD at for making me use the joystick. I never had a problem with Dimps even in hard mode but with this game, when it comes to CPU characters I just give up. No matter how hard I try I can never win.
It depends. During the fights in Budokai 2, it wasn't so bad. But I can't tell you raw my palms got from making Roshi spin so much during those load screens.

I dunno how that was so much fun....but it was...
By far the best loading screen of all the games.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:27 pm

Why are people using their Palms to spin the sticks? I've played all of the DBZ games NUMEROUS times and I've never had that happen to me once in my gaming history.

Move your palm over so the bottom part of your thumb is on the left stick and the outside of your hand on the right stick and spin that way. YOur actual palm doesnt even touch the controller.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:04 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Why are people using their Palms to spin the sticks? I've played all of the DBZ games NUMEROUS times and I've never had that happen to me once in my gaming history.

Move your palm over so the bottom part of your thumb is on the left stick and the outside of your hand on the right stick and spin that way. YOur actual palm doesnt even touch the controller.
Scientific studies show that using the bare front of your palm increases chest-hair growth by 75%.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:50 pm

I've got a question about this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePQB24bVM0w

Is that piece of BGM in the game? Because I'm pretty sure it's in another game(Final Bout, I think). Or did they just add that to the video?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's added over.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:01 am

LeprikanGT wrote:Why are people using their Palms to spin the sticks? I've played all of the DBZ games NUMEROUS times and I've never had that happen to me once in my gaming history.

Pish posh.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:28 am

The only time in this game where I've had to use my palms is when I give the CPU "Max Computer."

I've won pretty much every other time. Using my thumbs.

Like a real man.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:16 pm

I... just use my thumbs on both...
I have no idea why there are multiple sticking-styles, or why palms seems to be the more popular one...
And... umm... since DBZ games are full of stick-twirling, I'll pretend it's on-topic enough to ask: "Why?". :?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

MajinVegetaSSj6
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaSSj6 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:22 pm

Is that piece of BGM in the game? Because I'm pretty sure it's in another game(Final Bout, I think). Or did they just add that to the video?
Yes, it's from Dragon Ball Final Bout for Ps1.
It's the Goku SSj4 theme.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:31 pm

So I just played Online battles for the first time to rank up those trophies; and I wasn't aware you were allowed to throw punches or kicks anymore. Apparently you're supposed to rush attack someone and get behind them so you can easily pull off yet another rush.

Silly little spammer children.....does your 'higher ranking' REALLY compensate for your total lack of skill in the game?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:46 am

MajinVegetaSSj6 wrote:
Yes, it's from Dragon Ball Final Bout for Ps1.
It's the Goku SSj4 theme.
This is why I love PS3 and 360, you can change the background musiscs <3 /me think he'll be using the DBZ series' BGMs :D

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:03 am

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... ball/59889

Game Trailers put their review up. It's a pretty fair one at that. I really like Game Trailers. They've been my top pick for gaming news and reviews for a long time.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:38 am

Innagadadavida wrote:http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... ball/59889

Game Trailers put their review up. It's a pretty fair one at that. I really like Game Trailers. They've been my top pick for gaming news and reviews for a long time.
I'm just waiting for someone watching to comment on the Pronounciation of Saiyan.

They do a good job at Gametrailers :D
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:13 pm

They mispronounced Freeza's name (no doubt because of the "i" in the dub spelling).

I'll defend Sean's Goku performance, which was the example of stiff voice acting that they pointed to. I think the particular scene was taken out of context, and his performance is actually pretty good throughout the game. It's the 2009 version of the dub. It's still got the same voices, but the actors basically know what they're doing by now, so it's all good.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:20 pm

I'm surprised they didn't point out the ill-fitting mouth animation. The characters should be saying: "DADADADADADA."

Burst Limit had the best mouth animations of any game. It was fully 3D rendered, but only had three frames. Open, half-open, and closed, just like the anime.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Re: DragonBall: Raging Blast (PS3/360)

Post by SSJmole » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:42 pm

I got this for Christmas. I have one big problem. NO Ultimate Gohan. Really? There is a SSJ3 Broly yet no Ultimate Gohan? Buu even has Gohan absorbed yet no Gohan.

Here is what I have done. I've gone to customize. I gave adult Gohan plasma aura plus a blue aqua and equipped both to him. Then built up his power as costume 1. Now that is my Ultimate Gohan. It just means the costume is wrong.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:51 pm

SSJmole wrote:I got this for Christmas. I have one big problem. NO Ultimate Gohan. Really? There is a SSJ3 Broly yet no Ultimate Gohan? Buu even has Gohan absorbed yet no Gohan.

Here is what I have done. I've gone to customize. I gave adult Gohan plasma aura plus a blue aqua and equipped both to him. Then built up his power as costume 1. Now that is my Ultimate Gohan. It just means the costume is wrong.
Raging Blast was a rush job. The lack of vital costumes, camera problems etc shows this. My theory is in the hurry, they forgot to add in Ultimate Gohan in the character roster. When it came to Super Buu, they realized, but it was too late to create Ultimate Gohan's character model in the cutscene. So they used Goku's character model instead, cut off the head in the cutscene and voila! You've got "Super Boo w/Gohan absorbed". Or should I say "Super Boo w/Goku absorbed"?

Ultimate Gohan's non-existence in the game is a blatant sign that Raging Blast was a rush job.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Raging Blast was a rush job. The lack of vital costumes, camera problems etc shows this.

This does seem to be the case. It feels so thrown together at last minute. E.g story mode is mostly just 2 character models looking at each other and with a few lines read. Had they of tried they could have had Burst limit type cut scenes.

The Buu thing maybe just recycled animation from Budokai Tenkaichi 3 it doesn't look much better than it. But yes it's very rushed and the camera is too annoying at times. Even things they made a big deal of are not that well done. Like SSJ3 Broly, Sure I don't like idea but they could have given him a good story. They didn't.

Also no Cell Jr. Or Saibamen? They've been in like every game since the ps2 games even if not playable they were in to fight.

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:22 pm

SSJmole wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Raging Blast was a rush job. The lack of vital costumes, camera problems etc shows this.

This does seem to be the case. It feels so thrown together at last minute. E.g story mode is mostly just 2 character models looking at each other and with a few lines read. Had they of tried they could have had Burst limit type cut scenes.

The Buu thing maybe just recycled animation from Budokai Tenkaichi 3 it doesn't look much better than it. But yes it's very rushed and the camera is too annoying at times. Even things they made a big deal of are not that well done. Like SSJ3 Broly, Sure I don't like idea but they could have given him a good story. They didn't.

Also no Cell Jr. Or Saibamen? They've been in like every game since the ps2 games even if not playable they were in to fight.
There's no Mr. Satan either, that really surprised me.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote: Raging Blast was a rush job. The lack of vital costumes, camera problems etc shows this. My theory is in the hurry, they forgot to add in Ultimate Gohan in the character roster. When it came to Super Buu, they realized, but it was too late to create Ultimate Gohan's character model in the cutscene. So they used Goku's character model instead, cut off the head in the cutscene and voila! You've got "Super Boo w/Gohan absorbed". Or should I say "Super Boo w/Goku absorbed"?

Ultimate Gohan's non-existence in the game is a blatant sign that Raging Blast was a rush job.
Hmmm... I'm inclined to agree with this. However, I have no complaints about the actual gameplay. I've played fighting games quite a bit, and I own Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4, Virtua Fighter 5, and I've played Street Fighter. I love them all, and enjoy going into depth with them with my friends. These games have been reviewed as 'technical' and 'satisfying' by fighting fans and I totally agree.

But, I found, after playing Raging Blast, the fighting matches up to these games and even exceeds them, in my opinion. At first, I thought they mucked it up and 'simplified' it, but this is definitely not the case. If fighting against an opponent who knows what they're doing, you have the potential for many hours of learning and fun with this game... The what-ifs are great as well, but I do agree that the cutscenes were balls.

A 9/10 for me.
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:34 pm

Drayenko wrote:
SSJmole wrote:

There's no Mr. Satan either, that really surprised me.
And the funny thing is, Videl made the cut. When Mr. Satan appeared in the Budokai series before Videl. If you got Videl, you gotta have Satan.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.