Legacy Of Goku-type 3D game?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Legacy Of Goku-type 3D game?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:47 am

In the eyes of numerous fans, DBZ: Legacy Of Goku II and Buu's Fury seemed to be impressive DBZ games for the GBA games. So, would you be in favour of a release of a Legacy Of Goku-type 3D game?

I would like a game like that. For one, it would be something different to the Budokai & Tenkaichi series of DBZ fighting games. Two, considering how the last two LoG games appeared to be well-recieved in the DBZ fandom, it would be interesting to see a three-dimensional action-adventure RPG on a non-handheld console taking some of the LoG style.

Thoughts?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:47 pm

Only if the combat was improved, and the filler was replaced with something that expanded on the story ( Like, I don't know, having Trunks and Goten start out without SSJ, then have Trunks gain it from his father's death, and Goten gain it by a desire to defeat Trunks, ala Vegeta).
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:13 pm

Wasn't that game called Sagas?

Sagas played almost exactly like a LoG game would if it was transferred to a console. Those types of games have potential but at the same time I don't see the point of playing it as I know the story all too well not to mention, re playability would be absent. Now if Bandai was planning on doing something like Legacy of Goku on a console they would need to come up with a fresh story;they would also need to fix the controls too.

My friends and I talked about this and I think it would be great if Bandai tried to take the idea of Shin Budokai:Another Road(where you play the Buu saga in Trunks alternate time line) and worked on that story. It's an interesting idea and it would be a fun story to play with(if they wrote it better).
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:22 pm

Sagas was a action beat up game, and not really a RPG. I would like to see a 3-D remake though on the next gen systems though.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Sagas was a failure of an action game, with virtually zero RPG elements.

Now, a 3D Legacy of Goku game would be awesome. Imagine the first Legacy of Goku remade with all of the nifty stuff from Buu's Fury!

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:14 pm

I keep saying this but Legacy of goku + Blue dragon graphics = my dream dbz game

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:20 am

With how often we (Ur, me and a couple other people that start threads?) keep coming back to this, you'd think someone'd've done it by now.
I wonder if it's a Japanese / US thing?
Just... because I only recently heard of this mystical "JRPG Vs. Western RPG" thing, and it seems interesting that all the Japanese action/adventure/RPG games have been either card-based or early DB bomb-things ( :cry: ), and the likes of Sagas and Legacy of Goku are US-made.

I... have to doubt that's an overall market thing. Really have to doubt. :mrgreen:
Somehow I've concluded in the course of this post that Japan doesn't like DBZ 3d adventure/RP-Games. Inevitably leading to: "Why?" :? .
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:48 pm

Card-rpg db games are not bad if they made something like
snes legend of super saiyajin. Even the recent released attack of sayians could have used cards to imput commands. It is not bad.

It turns bad when they they remove the action and put pictures like
that ds game I don't even know how to say that name.

snes legend of super sayiajin was better than legacy of goku.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:58 pm

I'm still not sure what people see in those games. Buu's Fury is a pretty decent game, but the filler of LOG II was beyond tedious. LOG itself was just...frustrating. Combat was ridiculously poor. The enemy selection was bland. Every boss fight was the same- blast boss, run, blast some more, try to get 'em stuck on a corner. God forbid you move in for some melee. They'll drop you in seconds. The concept of a action-rpg DBZ game is something I would like to see on a console. But a remake of LOG... meh, let's face it, an action RPG covering Saiyan-Freeza is going to seem like a LOG remake regardless of if it is or not.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:53 pm

One thing I've always wanted in one of the fighting games is a Legacy of Goku type story mode. Like, you walk around and fly around and do missions and shit, and every time you run into an enemy it switches to the regular fighting screen.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:24 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:One thing I've always wanted in one of the fighting games is a Legacy of Goku type story mode. Like, you walk around and fly around and do missions and shit, and every time you run into an enemy it switches to the regular fighting screen.
That would be cool, as long as it didn't pull a Naruto and interrupt the action with a "Goku vs. Random Enemy" and totally interrupt the action.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:37 am

That would be cool, as long as it didn't pull a Naruto and interrupt the action with a "Goku vs. Random Enemy" and totally interrupt the action.
Yup, random encounters become very annoying.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:32 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
Yup, random encounters become very annoying.
This is why I'd prefer something that doesn't have separate modes for traveling and fighting. You could be ambushed by some random bear with a sword, and just spin-kick it into a tree and keep going, or heck, ninja away into the trees and do something more interesting... and it'd make it easier to implement pseudo-puzzle-things without actually making anything particularly special.
This reminds me of something about Sagas that I'm not sold on... that being how even the weaker enemies tend to take a while to kill, especially when there isn't a mob of them to enable you to use them as weapons against one another...
Goku takes down Bear+Sword in three hits. Gohan and Krillin take out a couple of Freeza's lackies in a single attack each. I kinda feel like this sort of thing could easily be translated into game form without having to diminish the experience...

But yeah, if we have to do random mode-shifts for all of those, it would be ridiculous and annoying.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Legacy Of Goku-type 3D game?

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:44 pm

''snes legend of super sayiajin was better than legacy of goku.''

Yeah, but Goku as Super Saiyan was a lot better in Legacy.....
In SNES they only used the same sprite for Goku and re-colored Goku's hair to yellow and that was pretty weird
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88