Why do game developers hate the Buu arc?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Why do game developers hate the Buu arc?

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:17 pm

Budokai. Sagas. Harukanaru Goku Densetsu. Burst Limit.

Every single one of these games has gone through the Saiyans, Freeza, Cell, and then just stopped. No love for Buu, at all. They can include Broli or a whole Yardrat saga, but they seem incapable of including the last portion of the canon storyline. Why is this? So many games do it, there has to be some sort of agenda. I could maybe understand it with a handheld game like HGD since it would be the most likely one of them to include not so much content, but a game on the PS3/360 has no excuse for leaving it out. Anyone have any theories or speculations or reasonings or conspiracies?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why do game developers hate the Buu arc?

Post by Sin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:22 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Budokai. Sagas. Harukanaru Goku Densetsu. Burst Limit.

Every single one of these games has gone through the Saiyans, Freeza, Cell, and then just stopped. No love for Buu, at all. They can include Broli or a whole Yardrat saga, but they seem incapable of including the last portion of the canon storyline. Why is this? So many games do it, there has to be some sort of agenda. I could maybe understand it with a handheld game like HGD since it would be the most likely one of them to include not so much content, but a game on the PS3/360 has no excuse for leaving it out. Anyone have any theories or speculations or reasonings or conspiracies?
I guess it just leaves room for a sufficient sequel, seeing as though the Buu Saga can make up for a decent amount of DBZ it is probably just seen as something to be carried out in a sequel. The end of the Frieza Saga would be too early for a game too end so the end of the Cell saga seems the most logical.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:25 pm

Sin wrote:I guess it just leaves room for a sufficient sequel, seeing as though the Buu Saga can make up for a decent amount of DBZ it is probably just seen as something to be carried out in a sequel. The end of the Freeza Saga would be too early for a game too end so the end of the Cell saga seems the most logical.
But only one of those games even had a sequel, and even then it just started the whole story again anyway (with the board game I might add). :?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Simple. Boo arc sucked. :)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Marketing.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Rory wrote:Simple. Boo arc sucked. :)
I'm going to go with this answer.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:32 pm

Most likely because it leaves room for a sequel, and with rushed developed times and a need for year-to-year improvements, it's convenient for the way Dragon Ball games are pumped out.

It also seems like the Buu era was kind of treated differently from a Japanese marketing standpoint. New music, etc. It seems pretty distinct in the mind of fans there from the more "classic" Freeza and Cell arcs. And interest was kind of winding down during its run, as far as I'm aware. But if someone is more in tune with Japanese views on the series, feel free to correct me.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:17 pm

The Boo arc introduces significantly more characters then the other arcs do, which means having to model new characters, give them moves, ect. Budokai 2 added Goten, Adult Gohan, Kid Trunks, Videl, Kaioshin, Dabra, Majin Boo, Super Boo, and Kid Boo. That's nine characters. For comparison, not counting the base characters such as Goku and Vegeta, the Saiyan arc added two characters, the Freeza arc added five, and the Cell arc added six.

The Boo arc is also the longest story arc, spanning 91 episodes in the cartoon and 98 chapters in the comic. Given that the developers usually have a year at the most to work on a DBZ game, it makes sense to end the game an arc early so that they can polish the earlier stuff, rather then have a longer game that feels rushed. It's also more logical then cutting, say, the Cell arc while keeping the Saiyan, Freeza and Boo arcs.

Also, Budokai 1 was a game primarily aimed at the American audience. At the time of it's release the Boo arc was still airing on TV, so of course they didn't cover that arc. They did throw in Great Saiyaman since FUNimation had passed that part of the story though.
­

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:32 pm

It's basically what Taku128 said. Sure only Budokai 1 saw a sequel but I imagine there were at least some plans of a Burst Limit 2 at one point, and adding a Buu saga would be the best way to sell the sequel. Think of how Budokai 3 worked too, they added Dragonball and GT characters. Spike did it too with the movie characters and later obscure characters to make the fans happy. It's a marketing strategy to shell out more games.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:05 am

Rory wrote:Simple. Boo arc sucked. :)
But it had a lot of awesome characters such as Vegeto, Dabra and SS3 Goku, that I would've loved to see in Burst Limit.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:28 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Budokai. Sagas. Harukanaru Goku Densetsu. Burst Limit.

My guess is what's in the buu saga. I mean take Burst Limit. It had new graphics, new gameplay features like Drama pieces. If they had continued on to buu, As well as having the stuff they wanted they'd also need to add fusions.

Sounds simple enough but how do fusions work? Are they drama pieces? is it a move/transformation like on the ps2. That alone requires extra animations, extra characters and more.

Now like they did with Burst Limit, They can get the core-game correct. Release it on it's deadline. Then when they do a sequel they have the game already to build on with things like : fusions , extra characters , movies, GT, Halo's , world tournaments and more.

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:07 pm

Why are people talking as if it was confirmed there will be no Burst Limit 2.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:57 pm

Vegeta Jr wrote:Why are people talking as if it was confirmed there will be no Burst Limit 2.
Well, it's been 2 years now and considering how often DB games get released.......

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:36 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Vegeta Jr wrote:Why are people talking as if it was confirmed there will be no Burst Limit 2.
Well, it's been 2 years now and considering how often DB games get released.......
Heh, think what you want.
I'm just glad to know Burst Limit 2 is currently in development, and is going to have fully animated 2D cut-scenes. :)

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:22 am

Don't get your hopes up, that 2D cut-scenes thing is most likely to end up on the new PSP game. The PSP can handle 3D cut-scenes sure, but the easier more efficient rout would be to go 2D.

However, don't miss understand me, I'm still hoping for a BL2. I think two, maybe three years is the perfect amount of time to wait for a new game, because if they are working on the game that means they are working hard to make the best game possible with the resources they have. Just don't get carried away, nothing is official hell nothing is even announced. There is nothing indicating that BL2 is actually in the works(though I would have LOVED to see BL2 or RB2).
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:16 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Don't get your hopes up, that 2D cut-scenes thing is most likely to end up on the new PSP game.
You keep thinkin' that buddy. :)

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Rory wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
I'm just glad to know Burst Limit 2 is currently in development, and is going to have fully animated 2D cut-scenes. :)
What the devil are you babbling about?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:09 am

Rory wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Do you have a source for that statement?

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:37 am

Rory wrote: Heh
Heh
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Vashkey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vashkey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:12 pm

gotta leave something for the sequel, right?